Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

36% (02:13) correct 64% (01:05) wrong based on 97 sessions
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [7] , given: 164

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
seekmba wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate

It is a good idea to first read the question stem. It prepares you to analyze the stimulus according to the question. Plus, in a complicated question, you don't have to go back and read the entire stimulus again (part of SWIMMER strategy of Veritas)

Here I first read the question: Ms. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
I see there are two speakers. I know that Ms. Siuzdak interprets Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply something. Great, lets go ahead and read the stimulus.

Mr Janeck talks about the unwillingness of voters to elect a businessman without political experience to such a position.

Ms Siuzdak says, "You are wrong." and goes on to elaborate how experience of running a business prepares one to run the government.

When I read Ms. Siuzdak's response, I think, "She is interpreting an implication in Mr Janeck's remark. What is it?"
It does strike me as odd that he only mentioned how voters feel. He did not say that Stevenson was unsuitable for office while Ms. Siuzdak tries to convince him why Stevenson is suitable. She doesn't say something like, "You are wrong. Voters understand that the experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government."

Now I look at the options. It is pretty clear that she interpreted that Mr Janeck believes Stevenson is not suitable for office. (A) is the correct answer.
(D) is incorrect. The issue is experience here. Not how profit chasing affects the character of a person and makes him unsuitable for government office.
(E) is incorrect because she overlooked voters completely and responded to Mr Janeck as if he had said the following: "A businessman with no political experience should not be elected to such a responsible public office."

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [2] , given: 164

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Karishma,

Request you to explain the question stem. Is it Inference question or Method of Reasoning?

Also, Can we say that Option E would have been correct if question had asked for the assumption that Mr Janeck's argument making?
Thanks
H

It's kind of an inference question (not conclusion though, inference as we know it in RC). You have to infer what Ms S inferred from Mr J's statement.

Say, forget Mr J's statement. Think of only Ms S's statement.

Ms S says 'You are wrong. Running a business prepares you for running a state.'

What do you think someone would have said to make Ms S reply like this? Something on the lines of 'Running a business doesn't prepare you for running a state.' Right?

So Ms. S inferred that Mr J is saying that Stevenson will not win the election because running a business hasn't taught him how to run a state. i.e. option (A)

Also whether (E) is an assumption of Mr J's argument -
Look at Mr J argument closely:

Premise: Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office. (Premises are assumed to be true)

Conclusion: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor.

Assumption: No one can win an election with few votes.
(An assumption links the stimulus with the conclusion)

Mr J doesn't make any assumptions about voters - do they overestimate political experience, underestimate business experience etc.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
I am confused between A and E

kudos +1 ?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 12:26
A - as Siuzdak thinks that Janeck is saying that Stevenson cannot be governor as he doenst have political experience and Siuzdak counters by saying running major corporation exp is somewhat of an experience to run for a politician and he is qualified.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 05:50
Is it A?

Ms. J conclusion - Steve wont win.
Facts - Business person for a political job.

Ms. S conclusion - You are wrong (Steve will win).
Facts - An analogy is presented to support her claim.

A is simply reitrating Ms. S claim.

seekmba wrote:

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 07:47
A... do we have OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 22:40
I went with E .. Whats the OA? And explanations please..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 23:10
A for me...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 00:19
I Went for D :(

OA ?

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 05:12
I went for D too...What is the OA?!?!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 20:14
A
C is opposite
E is too general. Cant use a general statement to prove a specific result.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 9

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 20:54
I think its A, other choices are irrelevant

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 23:30
I got it as E as well.
But I can see why A is the answer.

BTW is this GMAT style or more LSAT style type of question?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 23:36
A.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 08:09
+1 FOR A
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:10
A for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 136

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 06:54
Hi Karishma,

Request you to explain the question stem. Is it Inference question or Method of Reasoning?

Also, Can we say that Option E would have been correct if question had asked for the assumption that Mr Janeck's argument making?
Thanks
H

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
seekmba wrote:

It is a good idea to first read the question stem. It prepares you to analyze the stimulus according to the question. Plus, in a complicated question, you don't have to go back and read the entire stimulus again (part of SWIMMER strategy of Veritas)

Here I first read the question: Ms. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
I see there are two speakers. I know that Ms. Siuzdak interprets Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply something. Great, lets go ahead and read the stimulus.

Mr Janeck talks about the unwillingness of voters to elect a businessman without political experience to such a position.

Ms Siuzdak says, "You are wrong." and goes on to elaborate how experience of running a business prepares one to run the government.

When I read Ms. Siuzdak's response, I think, "She is interpreting an implication in Mr Janeck's remark. What is it?"
It does strike me as odd that he only mentioned how voters feel. He did not say that Stevenson was unsuitable for office while Ms. Siuzdak tries to convince him why Stevenson is suitable. She doesn't say something like, "You are wrong. Voters understand that the experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government."

Now I look at the options. It is pretty clear that she interpreted that Mr Janeck believes Stevenson is not suitable for office. (A) is the correct answer.
(D) is incorrect. The issue is experience here. Not how profit chasing affects the character of a person and makes him unsuitable for government office.
(E) is incorrect because she overlooked voters completely and responded to Mr Janeck as if he had said the following: "A businessman with no political experience should not be elected to such a responsible public office."

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 01:54
Was sure about A but picked E because of reference to voters which Mr. J introduces.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation Karishma.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Mr. Janeck [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 01:00
I would have definitely gone with A if 'unqualified' was not the word. unqualified is too strong a word. Ms Siuzdak does not feel Mr Janeck thinks something disqualifies him from contesting for the office. Nothing disqualifies him. Its just that voters will feel he is incompetent to run a state

But I guess the OA is A. :|

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
seekmba wrote:

Re: Mr. Janeck   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 01:00