Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2009 applicants [#permalink]
raabenb wrote:
Im visiting Oxford Said today. Planning on submitting my app in Round 1. If I get an interview invite, as an American, do you think they expect me to fly back to the UK to interview even though I flew over for a visit? I know they said they can do alumni and phone interviews but will it look bad if I do not make the effort to come back???

That's a VERY good question. Keep in mind that the on-campus interviews at Said are carried out by faculty (which probably carry more weight than Alumni). I was fortunate enough to be on campus during an interview day (which happened to be an open-day). There were about 60-80 people being interviewed, and it seemed there were only a handful (maybe 5) faculty conducting the 45 minute long interviews all day. It was also an action packed day. With a lecture, lunch, Adcom presentations, student panel, presentation from careers service, presentation from MBA Director and finally an informal drinks with fellow interviewees/visitors.

so I'd highly recommend going. initially I was scheduled in on an open day for this friday (another all day event), but something has come up so I have had to cancel. I'd strongly recommend you go to this friday's openday if you can. (tell them buff has given you the spot). :-)

- buff
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I cant do the open day because I will be in Germany for work. I did get a private tour with an admissions rep...which was nice. I really liked the place alot.

She said that they do not do alumni interviews but do carry out phone interviews quite often. She said that sinc I showed my face on campus, a phone interview would not carry less weight. Lets hope 8-)
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
All,

does anybody know what the SBS recommendation questions look like.

this would help me in helping one of my recommenders out (he is a bit short of time).

cheers,
buff
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
One of my recommenders said they were pretty standard, but there's a very short limit (750 characters on each question).

Has anyone seen any space for an optional essay? I've been using it to explain something about undergrad, but it seems SBS doesn't have one...
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
thanks Teutonic, Kudos
nope SBS doesn't seem to have an optional essay.

While we are on the topic of Oxbridge, did any Cambridge applicants get a link to a status page as mentioned on their website?

I was a R3 app to JBS for 2008 intake (a memory I'd like to erase), and they did give me a link to my status page after my application was complete. However no such link on the confirmation email this time
Current Student
Send PM
buffdaddy -- my other recommender just called me and asked me how I did in undergrad, and mentioned that there were questions about predicted academic ability. I didn't want to pry into what the form specifically asked, but figure that you may need to walk your referees through your analytical skills, ability to handle workloads, etc. as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hi buffdaddy,

Quote:
does anybody know what the SBS recommendation questions look like.

Both my recommenders called me about them. It seems there are some q. about academical performance, as Teutonic9 said, and a list of characteristics on which you need to be ranked.
Also, they mentioned that there was the place for additional information or for uploading the reco letter (so basically the question was whether they should write this letter in addition to answers to the questions in the form).

Quote:
While we are on the topic of Oxbridge, did any Cambridge applicants get a link to a status page as mentioned on their website?

Got nothing as well. But I wouldn't trust all info on their site. Some pieces haven't been changed since last year; I remember seeing Application will open in Oct or something.

Btw, could I ask you about your last time experience with them? What was so terrible?
But if you are not comfortable to answer, it's OK.
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Kudos greenoak,

my last experience was terrible because for my timeline:

October 2007 - Decide I want to do MBA. Go to MBAFair without even knowing what the GMAT is

Dec 2007 - Book GMAT date 8 weeks in advance.

Feb 2008 - Take the GMAT 690 (respectable score but really I needed more based on my profile)

March 7th - Did my application for JBS from a hotel room in 3 week from a client site in Dublin. Had no idea of the process and my essays read crap

April 2008 - DING

so then i prepared for gmat again and been doing essays with much better preparation since June. So basically the first 6 months of my MBA story so far was a great big humbling experience.

I like JBS as a school. It as a very "homely" feeling.

-buff
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks, Buff!

I could have been in your situation, too, since my interest in MBA was late and I was initially thinking about R3, but then from reading applicants discussions I understood that R3 would be a very bad idea, even with great apps and stellar profile (which I don't have).
Still, I believe that now you have an extra opportunity to show the school your interest, your dedication and how you improved your profile over the last year. And I really like JBS, too. Hope they will love us as well :)
Current Student
Send PM
Still writing my essays.... :oops:

Did anyone else catch how transcripts will be handled for Oxford? I know the application has a space to upload scans, but is anyone going to send the official hardcopy now as well, or is everyone waiting until after interviews/admissions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, Teutonic9. I think they never mentioned on their site that they want official hard copy transcripts for the application to be considered. So I just uploaded the scans. And the scan for TOEFL score as well (though this is what they should have received from ETS directly).
Essays make me crazy, esp. No 2. Now I'm not sure I will apply in R1 at all. I wish I started to write them in summer.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks greenoak! Yes, I didn't see anything about sending in hardcopies just yet, so I guess it's just the scans for now. I was going to ask Admissions, but I think I've already used up my quota for asking them questions. :-D

Essay number two is definitely one of those essays that requires deep thought. My topic is pretty broad, but its impact somewhat ties back to the reasons why I need an MBA, so hopefully it makes for a good story.

I know what you mean, though. I'm rushing it slightly now, but work is going to be even busier in the next few months, so this may be the best application I can submit....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [1]
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys,

yes just scanned transcripts will be fine. I was at the interview day earlier (as i mentioned in another post) and all the interviewees had to bring a hard copy along at that stage.

Also update on Cambridge. The interview dates are now on the website!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks, Buffdaddy!
Has anybody heard from the Cambridge adcom? Their promised 'within three weeks' means that we should receive some info today or tomorrow...
Though maybe I took their words too literally :wink:
Director
Director
 Q49  V37
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
Thanks, Buffdaddy!
Has anybody heard from the Cambridge adcom? Their promised 'within three weeks' means that we should receive some info today or tomorrow...

i think the "within 3 weeks" promise is a left over from the content on their old website. During previous years they didn't give an absolute "interview decision by" date. This year they have. So i am assuming that they will release on this date, considering they caused a lot of anxiety.

so Nov 7th, please come quickly :-)
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
In the email confirmation they mentioned the three weeks too.....

buffdaddy wrote:
greenoak wrote:
Thanks, Buffdaddy!

i think the "within 3 weeks" promise is a left over from the content on their old website. During previous years they didn't give an absolute "interview decision by" date. This year they have. So i am assuming that they will release on this date, considering they caused a lot of anxiety.

so Nov 7th, please come quickly :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Dear Gmat clubbers

any idea on which colleges to select while applying to said? what are the criterion, just walking distance to Said? acccomodation avalability??current students can u pls throw some light.
Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30