Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I had my interview with Ms.Kelley. She was very mature and made the environment comfortable for discussion. She asked about Why MBA, What are my career goals? Whether I am interested in going into the exact industry in which I am currently working? Also, example for Leadership and example when I worked as part of a team?
I included information about Gerogetown in these answers, so she did not ask me in specific. We discussed on Life at Georgetown and I asked some general questions.

I would say that try to provide as much information as you can, because the listener wont be able to learn about you if you dont share your strengths, but also try to listen to the question. I mean if the question is about how do you work as a leader, it may seem odd to talk about your hobbies.

Good luck with your interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Did other applicants/interviewees receive a "Happy Thanksgiving" email from the Georgetown MBA Admissions folks? It was a very thoughtful gesture and I am curious if the email was sent to a large or targeted audience. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
joda522 wrote:
Did other applicants/interviewees receive a "Happy Thanksgiving" email from the Georgetown MBA Admissions folks? It was a very thoughtful gesture and I am curious if the email was sent to a large or targeted audience. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Yes they did, and they were the only school I applied to that sent a Thanksgiving email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi,

I had applied to McDonough and had an interview with Beth Hickman over Skype-since I am based in China currently. The interview was OK, but I guess I was very informal, not sure how it goes with the adcom. I am hoping I have an admit with a decent scholarship.

I have not got any further information from adcom and have not got the thanksgiving mail!

Questions:
The interview was blind, but would the adcom have gone through my application and then called me over for an interview or do they interview most of their applicants?

I screwed up my thank you email(and found that i screwed it up only two days later), thanks to my new mobile and keypad. Will it weigh my application down? (basically the formatting and the content was also incomplete)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics
Send PM
Hi Joda - I received the Happy T-giving email. I'm willing to bet it was a mass mailer to anyone on their applicant information distribution list. I also interviewed at the very beginning of the month.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
HenryHank wrote:
Hi Joda - I received the Happy T-giving email. I'm willing to bet it was a mass mailer to anyone on their applicant information distribution list. I also interviewed at the very beginning of the month.

The evening MBA prospective applicants haven't received anything to the best of my knowledge. Then again, I have until January 15 to make it for the first round.

I'm working on my apps now, but I do intend on taking the GMAT again so this looks even better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
This is such a quiet forum, esp compared to some of the others. :(

Less than 2 weeks now till R1 decisions! This waiting is really the worst. Is anyone attending their Diversity Event this Saturday? It seems like a great event, but I won't be able to join. Do you think that the adcom takes into consideration participation in activities POST application and interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It is quiet.

This wait is driving me crazy. How is everyone else handling it?!

I saw that last year the committee called accepted students the day before the decision date (which happened to be on a Saturday). Has anyone heard anything about whether or not they will do that this year?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Guys!

I was interviewed on the 17th of November in New Delhi, India. I did NOT receive any thanksgiving email :shock:
Did they send this email to any applicant from India?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Quiet around these part. R1 Decisions out in about 10 days. Any one else nervous?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
About 10 days for the result!!!! Anybody out there as nervous as me? :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Quiet around these part. R1 Decisions out in about 10 days. Any one else nervous?

Lol! Sorry I missed your post before posting mine. Yes, am nervous too buddy! You know how it gets :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Indian Applicants,

I was asked to send a pdf copy of my university (OU) grading. To the best of my knowledge, my university does not offer any comparative system.

What did other Indian applicants do, were you asked to submit a copy of the grading system of your university?

Also, is it sufficient if I used the services of WES iGPA or other such firms, which translate international grades to USA equivanlent, and submit that report to Georgetown?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin wrote:
Indian Applicants,

I was asked to send a pdf copy of my university (OU) grading. To the best of my knowledge, my university does not offer any comparative system.

What did other Indian applicants do, were you asked to submit a copy of the grading system of your university?

Also, is it sufficient if I used the services of WES iGPA or other such firms, which translate international grades to USA equivanlent, and submit that report to Georgetown?

Well, my university (MIT, Manipal) has a grading system similar to the IITs. 10 point CGPA system. In case you don't have a grading system, I think sharing your % should do ( X out of Y). Can you ask your college academic section to issue a letter explaining the evaluation system?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SR85 wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
Indian Applicants,

Well, my university (MIT, Manipal) has a grading system similar to the IITs. 10 point CGPA system. In case you don't have a grading system, I think sharing your % should do ( X out of Y). Can you ask your college academic section to issue a letter explaining the evaluation system?

I did include my percentage, and my transcript clearly mentions my marks secured againist the total. However, its not CGPA. Thanks. Did any other indian applicants with percentage grading faced such similar issue?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi Blue Robin,

My score report has only percentages. I had also sent in a WES evaluation in addition to my score report(I had WES send the report for me). May be thats why I dint face any issue.

Regards to your question, you cannot report the score your iGPA calculator shows. In fact your actual report from WES will be different from that of iGPA.

EX: The iGPA calculator assesed my grade to be 3.83/4, but in the actual report my grade was 3.79/4. So the iGPA may not be correct. In addition WES does not report your iGPA scores.

Obviously, the people who can help you the best are at the admissions team - I suggest caling them.

Cheers and best of luck
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
SR85 wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
Indian Applicants,

I did include my percentage, and my transcript clearly mentions my marks secured againist the total. However, its not CGPA. Thanks. Did any other indian applicants with percentage grading faced such similar issue?

FYI, I've just put up a post on this particular issue of grade comparison. I don't believe it's necessary to submit a comparison. Highlighting the scale (percentage or GPA) used should suffice. Most institutes do have some info on the scale used on the back side/page of the transcript.
I've just gone through the app portal for McDonough, and am curious as to how you indiciate your GPA because the y ask you to leave the field blank if it's not based on the 4.0 scale.

Is there a field elsewhere in the app where you mention your non 4.0 scale GPA/ Percentage? OR do you mention this in the covering letter when you mail your official copy of transcript and degree certificate?

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I assume that while McDonough asks that your transcripts be as per WES standards, it is not necessary to get it processed by WES (for a fee) as long as the following criteria are met:
  • Academic transcripts must list the course name and grades received.
  • A diploma /degree certificate that shows the date that the degree was conferred is also required.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts