Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Given Kudos:
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink]
brau0300 wrote:
Haha, his post threw me off too. Notice he said January 6, ***2010***.

oh wow... attention to detail makes a big difference.

Thank you for pointing that out!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
Really hope we hear from adcom today.

Originally posted by h2polo on 10 Jan 2012, 11:01.
Last edited by h2polo on 10 Jan 2012, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
PriceNation wrote:
Well, as a re-applicant (previously interviewed and subsequently waitlisted). I received an email January 6th, 2010 for an interview. I don't know what is going to happen this year. I am a little unnerved.

Profile:
7 years EE'ing
3.95 gpa UT
670 (49 33 6.0) gmat
30 years old

If waiting to hear about an interview is this bad I can only imagine what it is like waiting for the call from Don.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
combobreaker,

After the interview I felt like I knocked it out of the park. My interviewer was engaged, talkative, and I felt like I had great speaking points the entire time; we in fact went over time. I thought I was a shoo-in after that interview and after talking with other applicants during the day. The day came when Don was calling folks and he started with last names A through the alphabet. After mine past, I went to dinner with the wife and started to doubt my application and looked for weak points. I received a wait-list letter which means they liked me and I should re-apply. I hoped to get the call off the wait-list but alas, that call didn't come and I was really down as I only applied to that school (I really believe in the program).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I’m also only applying to only this one program, it was the only thing that I could justify leaving my job for two years to do. I hope it works out for you this year, during the ambassador’s day I met three students that were admitted as re-applicants.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Manufacturing)
Send PM
combobreaker wrote:
I’m also only applying to only this one program, it was the only thing that I could justify leaving my job for two years to do. I hope it works out for you this year, during the ambassador’s day I met three students that were admitted as re-applicants.

Combobreaker, can you share more about your experience on the ambassador day. I missed this great opportunity.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Adding myself to the list of ONLY LGO applicants. No other full time program makes sense to quit work for 2 years.
Let's hope today/tomorrow is the DAY. 12pm PST today is MIT Sloan's round 2 deadline.
Good luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
yxj02ster wrote:
combobreaker wrote:

Combobreaker, can you share more about your experience on the ambassador day. I missed this great opportunity.

Like many here, I too am only applying to the LGO program.

Although I did not attend ambassador day, I can share my experience meeting with an LGO student for an afternoon in September. Maybe it will help some of you pass the time easier.

While visiting a friend in Boston I decided to take the opportunity to also tour the MIT campus. Unfortunately, my visit was timed during the first week of Fall classes and initial indications were that no one from the LGO program would have time to meet with me.

At the last minute, an LGO student contacted me and said he would be more than happy to meet me for lunch and allow me to sit in on an LGO meeting and a Sloan class.

After touring the beautiful new Sloan building, I was treated to lunch in the cafeteria. While getting to know my student guide, it became clear to me that this program would be a great fit; my guide was affable, intelligent, and had no intention of totally abandoning his engineering roots.

My initial impressions were further confirmed when I visited the LGO offices and met several students who were hanging out. Everyone was friendly, personable, and I could immediately perceive the close sense of community among the LGOs (people jokingly ribbing one another, no one taking everything overly serious, etc.). Students were laid-back, but still serious about school, a balance that I have always striven to achieve.

While sitting in on a student-run planning meeting for the Plant Trek I was also exposed to another characteristic of typical LGO students: competency. The meeting was run very efficiently and was not plagued by the singular problem that seems to dominate many corporate meetings: people feeling the need to speak up even if the point being raised is obvious or irrelevant to most of the meeting participants (e.g. contributing nothing just for the sake of having contributed). The meeting was effective without being overly formal.

To end my visit, I participated in a "Business Communication" class (can't remember the official name). This class consisted of mostly Sloan students (only 3-4 LGOs were in the entire class). Because it was the first day of class, every student took a moment to introduce themselves. I found this segment of the class extremely interesting. Some students used the opportunity for resume masturbation, fulfilling the stereotype that many people associate with elite business schools (e.g. I cured world hunger while starting 5 charities for underprivileged kids), whereas others were more modest. The professor was very good, and the class was taught in a Socratic fashion (an extensive question-answer dialogue between the professor and the students). Unfortunately I had not read the case study being discussed, but I found the experience intriguing and totally different from any of my engineering classes.

I left campus that day very excited about LGO and completely convinced of my desire to get into the program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wonder if the delay in getting the interview invites out will cause the interview fest weekend to be later as well. We could be looking at February 11/12 instead of 4/5, which would be nice for those of us interested in the Super Bowl.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
I am a reapplicant as well but did not get a call last year. I sure hope I will get one this time, my application last year was pure excrement. And many things have happened at work since before applying that I applied without really meaning to get into. Some unfinished projects among the things but now they are all completed. I truly feel like this is the year I would like to get into the program.

PriceNation did you not a call from Sloan at least or an admission? did you apply through Engineering or Sloan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
PriceNation did you not a call from Sloan at least or an admission? did you apply through Engineering or Sloan?

I am also wondering, does anyone know how common it is to be accepted by engineering/Sloan if you don't make it in to LGO?
And to do so, do you need to be dinged? or are waitlisted students also considered?

I imagine this only happens if the school you applied through finds you a great candidate, but the other denies you... At least that would make sense to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:
fsaq wrote:

I am also wondering, does anyone know how common it is to be accepted by engineering/Sloan if you don't make it in to LGO?
And to do so, do you need to be dinged? or are waitlisted students also considered?

I imagine this only happens if the school you applied through finds you a great candidate, but the other denies you... At least that would make sense to me.

I recently met a Sloan student, and I raised this question to him. He was of the opinion that Sloan and LGO have different requirements, and its a very weak chance that if you don't get into LGO, Sloan will accept you. Not so good news, but I thought of sharing this
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
For all those only applying to LGO, I would offer a word of caution. I followed that path last year, and like others, I left my interview confident about my future as an LGO student. Unfortunately, Don never called. The week that followed was rough, but I realized that with a clear vision and a lot of ambition other programs can help me achieve my goals. Don't get me wrong, LGO is the best, but the 50 or so students who get in do not have a guaranteed ticket or a monopoly on greatness. You can learn what you need to learn at a variety of institutions, and if you are passionate about achieving your goals then you must evaluate every possible path and make available every possible opportunity. Don't fall into the trap that LGO is the only program worth uprooting your life. Acheiving your goals is worth uprooting your life, LGO or not. I am anxious for an interview invite, and I hope for a call from Don, but if it doesn't happen, another school will take me and I will do what I need to do in order to succeed. Good luck all.
Intern
Intern
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Rswappy,

I totally agree. I went to LGO Ambassadors Day last year but decided it wasn't the right time to apply. This year is a much better, although I got a promotion at work, which makes it even more difficult to leave and makes LGO seen that much more desirable.

I have entrepreneurial aspirations, and I'm a female with two years design engineering and three years operations experience. I am going to get stuck if I don't take the opportunity to leave when the time is right, which is now. So I am applying to other programs even though LGO is my number one.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Wondering when the invites would go out!!! Already late from when the invites were sent out last year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Looks like another day with no invites.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
I am impressed that the timeline is unlike anything we can remember. It seems that this will be a whole new plan for sending invitations. I seriously thought last friday, this monday or today would be the days but its already the end of wednesday. If we dont hear anything by Friday I encourage everyone here to call the LGO office at a 5 minute interval asking the same question:

I will go first at 8am Boston time, someone else calls at 8:05 , then some other calls at 8:10...

lol it would be funny if we do this and the LGO office does not open until 10 am
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts