Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Comparisonsx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Magoosh
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [95]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [64]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: The Most Efficient Approach to GMAT Sentence Correction [#permalink]
Kudos
The steps that persons take when doing a SC question is important. The problem is that person do not realize some step they do. Some persons do a step subconciously and can not tell other persons what steps they do. I wish experts, native speakers detail the steps they do. This point means native experts have to write down/realize the steps they do subconciously.

Thank you. please, take a SC problem and write down the steps you do. Realize the step you do subconciously. Thank you
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [3]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
vandygrad11 wrote:
Eventually, those rules fade into intuition.

The same point was made by Ron on another GMAT forum only when rules fade into intuition you can reach the highest levels.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Vandygrad's strategy is right on the money. Use it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Kudos
I think this approach works until the level reaches 730 - 750. After that It is all about getting the meaning of the sentence
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
geometric wrote:
I am going to offer a slightly different approach. Before laying into though, it's obviously important to note that there are different strokes for different folks. We should be more careful in advocating techniques like this to preface our approach with that condition.

SC is about the only thing that keeps me alive in the GMAT. I hit anywhere between 75-100% of 750+ questions depending on the day. So, given that, here's my approach:

I read the entire sentence. I then read choice A once more. My approach is entirely built on context, which I think your recommended approach does not award enough significance. Once you have read enough sentences in your life, context will give you the keys to the kingdom. At this point, usually two blatant errors have jumped out at me, or in some cases, only one.

Either way, there will be a 3/2 split available. If two blatant errors jumped out at me, then the problem is usually finished by this point. That's 40 seconds, max. If there was only one, then it's just down to re-reading the remaining options until context highlights the correct answer. Yes, you must know the technical rules regarding parallelism and S&V agreement and what not, but it's all about practice. Eventually, those rules fade into intuition. The last and crucial piece is to take your presumed answer and compare the meaning to choice A, which is one of the common tricks I've seen in that level of question. Obviously you need to backtrack if the meanings differ.

Hello! Thanks for the post. How do you deal with fluff?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Terabyte,

this is a great question. I have recently started to focus on sentence correction, and at this point I have just about finished Manhattan's sentence correction strategy guide.
Now, I am focusing my time on getting to the core of the sentence, otherwise known as "removing the fluff," and usually start off a SC problem with the following approach:

1. scan answer choices for decision points
2. read the entire sentence (sometimes I attempt to remove the fluff during this phase)
3. go back and remove the fluff
4. eliminate answers based on decision points and/or incorrect core sentence structure.

I am using this approach to better understand how to remove fluff. However, it is quite time consuming and I don't think I will be using this strategy on test day (unless i get really good at eliminating the fluff as i read the sentence.)

Kudos to those who share their SC strategy/approach.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts