Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Ah, super stressed! I applied right at the merit deadline (my recs were in well in advance, it was totally me that delayed the submission)! Keeping fingers crossed with respect to hearing back this week. Will certainly let you know if something happens!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh gosh, freaking out now that invites are being issued! Would really love this to work out, as I'd really hate to leave the city... Blah!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
overdressed wrote:
Ah, super stressed! I applied right at the merit deadline (my recs were in well in advance, it was totally me that delayed the submission)! Keeping fingers crossed with respect to hearing back this week. Will certainly let you know if something happens!

Same situation... Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks to you!

My bff and her fiance are Ross grads and love it, so it looks like you have a great school on lock-down, in any case. I'm a bit torn on Michigan, as a dated a law grad from there for the past few years in NYC -- and have since decided he's awful and sucks! haha! -- so perhaps that's coloring my perceptions. Hah.

In any case, I'm considering floating a Mich app in round 3, but I'm not sure I can get past the personal stuff. :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
TheFool wrote:
redpringles wrote:
TheFool wrote:
I got dinged by Columbia on Tuesday afternoon after an interview... have been moping around since and haven't wanted to post it on the forums. Sorry for the delay, and just for the record, here was my timeline:

Submitted: 11/26
Interview invite: 12/19
Interviewed: 1/11
Interview report submitted: 1/15
Decision: 1/22

I gotta say it really sucks. I'm currently 0-for-3, and feeling less and less optimistic about my chances of getting in anywhere. Especially after that interview at Columbia which was, frankly, unfriendly.

I'm sorry to hear that. It took 2 months after your interview feedback submission to get your decision? Wow...

May I ask you how your interview was unfriendly?

Actually it wasn't two months -- I caught that right after I posted and it's been edited above. Sorry about that!! Timeline was:

Interviewed: 1/11
Interview report submitted: 1/15
Decision: 1/22

The first 50 minutes of the interview went fine. While the questions were tough ("give me a ballpark estimate of how many brand managers get hired every year" "Besides the six companies and three industries you mentioned that use brand management, what other companies recruit at Columbia for your desired field?").

I was answering them pretty well, I thought. But near the end the interviewer asked me how I chose him as my interview contact. I replied that I followed the instructions on Columbia's letter, which was to contact the first person on the list of three. He became visibly upset at this and told me that I had done it wrong: rather, I should have done research on all three Ambassadors and chose my contact that way, as in business you're supposed to vie for every advantage. I replied that while I agree in theory with that, I wasn't about to try and cross the admissions committee on this. He noted that someone he interviewed just the week prior had done this very thing, and had chosen him because they had a lot in common.
Then he started lecturing me about the importance of seizing the advantage in networking, noted that I'm competing against my fellow students "including the guy with two years' of experience at McKinsey who is just interviewing for fun, but who looks better on paper."

He then asked me why I was applying so late and to so few schools. I replied that I had applied to five schools and submitted my application to Columbia on November 20. He said that was too late and to too few schools, and didn't seem optimistic about my chances of getting in.

Honestly, none of his advice was bad or unwelcome (though I still disagree about not following Columbia's instructions), but the tone of the conversation took a very negative turn near the end. I'm not sure if I was unlucky, if I said the wrong thing, if he was trying to push my buttons or that's just his manner.

I am a long time lurker, but never posted, but I couldn't help but comment on this. That's just plain nasty. If it makes you feel better, I followed the rules too. Sounds like this interviewer just wanted you to suck up to him and tell him how badly you were dying to interview with him. Is there even any recourse for something like that??

And for others, my interview was the opposite of this (though I also got pretty detailed questions on how I would pursue my somewhat non-traditional/new field, what the background of people doing that kind of work looks like, etc.). He was so friendly & disarming, which I think is what I hear more of in the norm. Really unfortunate that Fool got one of the few bad eggs!

Originally posted by armadillo2 on 30 Jan 2013, 07:29.
Last edited by armadillo2 on 30 Jan 2013, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM

Originally posted by Pique on 30 Jan 2013, 11:01.
Last edited by Pique on 09 Apr 2013, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
My husband just got dinged today :(

Submitted on Jan 2. He received an email saying decision's available, and there it is in our face on the website. I really thought he should at least get an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
anyone who got an interview set up one yet? I've emailed 3 so far without responses...wth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Submitted 7th Jan before merit fellowship deadline..waiting to hear back!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Got in!!! ED-waitlisted-reapplicant-longtime lurker. The wait was excruciating but worth it.

Applied: Oct 1
Invited to interview: Oct. 16
Interview: Oct. 30
Interview feedback: Oct. 31
Waitlisted: Nov. 7
Almost went crazy: Nov. 7 - Jan. 29
Accepted: Jan. 30

International/ 740/ Low GPA/ Banking/ Asia

It hasn't quite sunk in yet. Good luck to those still waiting - keep the faith!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
BirdIsTheWord wrote:
Got in!!! ED-waitlisted-reapplicant-longtime lurker. The wait was excruciating but worth it.

Applied: Oct 1
Invited to interview: Oct. 16
Interview: Oct. 30
Interview feedback: Oct. 31
Waitlisted: Nov. 7
Almost went crazy: Nov. 7 - Jan. 29
Accepted: Jan. 30

International/ 740/ Low GPA/ Banking/ Asia

It hasn't quite sunk in yet. Good luck to those still waiting - keep the faith!

wow congratulations.. i'm so happy for you that it worked out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
linsanity wrote:
anyone who got an interview set up one yet? I've emailed 3 so far without responses...wth

In some cases, the frustrations of setting up interviews with alums really makes one doubt the vibe of the CBS community--and how supportive they will be as a part of the MBA experience. The admissions should really take this matter seriously. It will hurt the yield of the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
djy2378 wrote:
linsanity wrote:

In some cases, the frustrations of setting up interviews with alums really makes one doubt the vibe of the CBS community--and how supportive they will be as a part of the MBA experience. The admissions should really take this matter seriously. It will hurt the yield of the school.

How long did you wait? I emailed one ambassador, she immediately got back to me, apologized, and said she wasn't doing the program this year. I emailed the second and we set it up the next day. 48-hour turnover--I'm actually quite impressed by their responsiveness.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
elian wrote:
djy2378 wrote:
linsanity wrote:

How long did you wait? I emailed one ambassador, she immediately got back to me, apologized, and said she wasn't doing the program this year. I emailed the second and we set it up the next day. 48-hour turnover--I'm actually quite impressed by their responsiveness.

My experience was sort of in between - the first person I emailed never responded, but the second got back to me within 10 minutes and we set up the interview for the next week.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
djy2378 wrote:
linsanity wrote:

It really is very strange - not to mention how unhelpful/disorganized they are with visiting/prospective students. It was a stark contrast to every other school I visited (Stern, Kellogg, Booth), and leaves serious questions in my mind about fit. I don't really understand why a top school seems to not care about interacting with prospective students and applicants, but whatever works, I guess.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
djy2378 wrote:
linsanity wrote:

It really is very strange - not to mention how unhelpful/disorganized they are with visiting/prospective students. It was a stark contrast to every other school I visited (Stern, Kellogg, Booth), and leaves serious questions in my mind about fit. I don't really understand why a top school seems to not care about interacting with prospective students and applicants, but whatever works, I guess.

I had trouble contacting alumni and ended up interviewing with the ad com, which was very different because they have access to your essays and all, but not bad at all.

I disageee about their receptiveness to prospective students! I visited the schools 3 times and was very well received by all. NYU for example didnt want to receive me and said that contact is made only through interviews.
Its relative to each students perception.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Nrymcn wrote:
I had trouble contacting alumni and ended up interviewing with the ad com, which was very different because they have access to your essays and all, but not bad at all.

I disageee about their receptiveness to prospective students! I visited the schools 3 times and was very well received by all. NYU for example didnt want to receive me and said that contact is made only through interviews.
Its relative to each students perception.

Posted from my mobile device

Yes everyone definitely has different experiences, but at NYU they have a very well organized visiting students program including class visits, coffee chats, etc. I have no idea what happened with you. I found no such program at Columbia and felt that they made me fend for myself if I wanted to participate in anything on campus. It just wasn't welcoming. Glad you had a better experience.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64   65   66  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts