Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Learning Sentence Correction pt 2. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi exploringm,

Good suggestions by HerrGrau. I would like to add a few points. In order to get everything out of the OG you should ask yourself for every question.

What concept is the question testing?
Why is the correct choice correct and more importantly, why is a choice incorrect?
What traps you need to avoid?
Is there another faster way to solve the question?

OG must be treated as a bible for GMAT and you should try to get everything out of the official questions. This is extremely vital to achieve a good score.

To achieve a goal, the first step is to set a goal.
As you have just started your prep, taking one GMATPrep test would be a good idea. This will give you a realistic understanding of your present level. With this data point in mind you can make you realistic intermediate and final goals for your desired score.

Hope that helps,

Vercules
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OK - It sounds like you could be doing more analysis. In general, spend at least as much time analyzing as you do solving (but avoid doing these things at same time. Do not analyze while you are doing a practice set.) Analyzing means reviewing your error log, spotting trends in your mistakes, addressing those trends by seeking out solutions/rules/methods (on forums/in books), and re-solving your error log questions after a week or so to reinforce the knowledge.

One thing that I've found helpful is to keep a short list of your BIG SC ISSUES. Before you do SC practice remind yourself of the types of questions that give you trouble and the rules that you either forget or have trouble seeing in the question. Often, I have trouble with tricky parallelism where the question fools you into trying to make certain elements parallel when it is another set of elements that need to be parallel. So I would always remind myself to "look elsewhere when having a difficult time with parallelism". Often times the missing parallel pair was farther away, earlier in the sentence. The other thing that would remind myself in a difficult question: solve by using the meaning of the sentence. What are they trying to say?

As Vercules said, the OG is THE reference so try to get the most out of it by not burning through questions without doing an appropriate amount of reflection along the way.

I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions or would like more advice on this subject.

HG.

PS: There the ten 10 FLT's floating around this forum that have good SC practice. I think that they are old GMAT tests so some of the SC questions focus a bit too much on idioms but overall good practice. Also, the GMAT Paper tests from GMAC are great verbal practice (not very good for math).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys,

First: thanks for taking the time to give helpful and extensive advice.

I have completed 100 of both the CR and SC questions out of the Official Guide 12. My plan of attack is to look in depth at each one I got wrong and analyze each rule that could help eliminate an answer.

I was wondering at this point: how do you think I'm doing in terms of a translation to a verbal score? I know this leaves out Reading Comprehension.. but "in a vacuum" how would you say i'm doing? I got 72/100 on SC and 84/100 on CR. Like I said previously: this is from sitting and doing sets of ten in the morning and evening sessions. The SC is a bit lower than I would like but I think I have a lot of room for improvement in SC because, as addressed, I tend to fall back on intuition to arrive at an answer.

My Goal, at a minimum, is to score in the high 600's but of course 700 or higher would be great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
exploringm wrote:
Hey Guys,

First: thanks for taking the time to give helpful and extensive advice.

I have completed 100 of both the CR and SC questions out of the Official Guide 12. My plan of attack is to look in depth at each one I got wrong and analyze each rule that could help eliminate an answer.

I was wondering at this point: how do you think I'm doing in terms of a translation to a verbal score? I know this leaves out Reading Comprehension.. but "in a vacuum" how would you say i'm doing? I got 72/100 on SC and 84/100 on CR. Like I said previously: this is from sitting and doing sets of ten in the morning and evening sessions. The SC is a bit lower than I would like but I think I have a lot of room for improvement in SC because, as addressed, I tend to fall back on intuition to arrive at an answer.

My Goal, at a minimum, is to score in the high 600's but of course 700 or higher would be great.

Hi exploringm,

It is a good accuracy if you are solving these questions for the first time. If you score a similar percentage in the actual GMAT (same % in RC as well), your score could be anywhere from 36 to 41 ( percentiles ranging from 73 to 93). Anything above 35 is a good score.
To get a 700 you will need 47 - 50 in quant along with the verbal score. But be cautious, this is just a rough estimate. After studying all the OG questions and other study materials take a GMATPrep test or any other test. This test will give you a more realistic picture of your score and your weaknesses and strengths.

Moreover, you will get most out of your prep time if you completely analyze the all questions, even the ones which you got correct.

Vercules
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

That level of accuracy is a good place to be starting from. It is a great idea to analyze all the wrong ones (I agree with Vercules that you may want to analyze the correct ones too, especially the correct ones that took a while to solve or introduced some grammar doubt). It is hard to translate your OG practice to a score but again agreed with Vercules that you are somewhere in the high 30's low 40's provided that your RC is on par with the SC/CR. Also, keep in mind that the SC/CR nearer to the end of the OG is more difficult. So your right/wrong ratio may change as you approach the more difficult questions.

You may want to take a few official paper GMATs (only the verbal sections). I have found them to be good predictors of verbal performance. If you do take them go ahead and do all of the sections in succession in one 80 minute session. I like to give an extra 5 minutes because there is far more time pressure on these paper GMATs then there is on the real test and the extra time balances that out a bit.

HG.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
PS: There the ten 10 FLT's floating around this forum that have good SC practice. I think that they are old GMAT tests so some of the SC questions focus a bit too much on idioms but overall good practice. Also, the GMAT Paper tests from GMAC are great verbal practice (not very good for math).

Hey, apologies for not knowing the lingo but what are FLT's? Full Length Tests? Where can I access those?

Per your guys suggestions I took a verbal mock exam today. I did the GMATClub one called "v06."

I ended up scoring 33/41. This is the first timed test I've taken in about a month so i was a bit faster than i needed to be (in fact I finished with about 20 minutes to spare... :/ ) But I guess it would be much worse the other way around. What would my verbal score be on the actual gmat if I got 33/41?

Thanks again guys, it's good to have knowledgeable people to take these questions to.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am registered to take the test on April 20th. I've still got a pretty decent amount of time left for preparation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
exploringm wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:

Hey, apologies for not knowing the lingo but what are FLT's? Full Length Tests? Where can I access those?

Per your guys suggestions I took a verbal mock exam today. I did the GMATClub one called "v06."

I ended up scoring 33/41. This is the first timed test I've taken in about a month so i was a bit faster than i needed to be (in fact I finished with about 20 minutes to spare... :/ ) But I guess it would be much worse the other way around. What would my verbal score be on the actual gmat if I got 33/41?

Thanks again guys, it's good to have knowledgeable people to take these questions to.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am registered to take the test on April 20th. I've still got a pretty decent amount of time left for preparation.

Took a Princeton Review verbal test... got a 34/41. At least i'm consistent.. with some mild improvement. It estimated a 38 on the verbal portion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi exploringm,

38 in verbal is a good score, have you taken any GMATPrep tests. If, yes then what is your score in that.

Vercules
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Transportation)
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
Hi exploringm,

38 in verbal is a good score, have you taken any GMATPrep tests. If, yes then what is your score in that.

Vercules

Hi Vercules
I have finished studying MGMAT SC book but i have some doubts regarding my SC preparation
1. I just cannot get all the Grammar lingo (participial phrase, verb-ing modifiers, verbe-ed modifiers etc). However I could solve most of the practice questions given at the end of each chapter in the book. I have done some questions on the SC forum here and realized I could solve majority of the 700 level questions. I had read somewhere that one should be able to explain in detail why a particular choice is right or wrong which i am unable to do due to lack of understanding of Grammar terms. Most of the times, the only explanation i got is that the right answer just looks right while the wrong answer looks awkward. Could you guide me if i am fine here or whether I should go back to MGMAT book and try to learn the grammar and then come back to practice questions??
2. Can you suggest some good practice question banks for SC apart from the OG??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Dipankar6435 wrote:
Vercules wrote:
Hi exploringm,

Vercules

Hi Vercules
I have finished studying MGMAT SC book but i have some doubts regarding my SC preparation
1. I just cannot get all the Grammar lingo (participial phrase, verb-ing modifiers, verbe-ed modifiers etc). However I could solve most of the practice questions given at the end of each chapter in the book. I have done some questions on the SC forum here and realized I could solve majority of the 700 level questions. I had read somewhere that one should be able to explain in detail why a particular choice is right or wrong which i am unable to do due to lack of understanding of Grammar terms. Most of the times, the only explanation i got is that the right answer just looks right while the wrong answer looks awkward. Could you guide me if i am fine here or whether I should go back to MGMAT book and try to learn the grammar and then come back to practice questions??

Hi Dipankar,

My personal experience and advise

I was in similar situation as I could understand from your message. As a non native speaker, especially being academically out of touch from English Grammar, it was difficult for me to follow MGMAT SC. Foundation book was also tough for me (partly because I did not spend much time on it). This book, and also the live sessions that I attended, expects us to know the basics right and just attack strategies in live sessions and advanced discussions in the book (advance for me, who lost touch with grammar for more than a decade).
It took me sometime to analyze where I was going wrong - i think, I was not mastering the concepts in depth, of grammar, by heart, but trying to solve the practice questions vaguely - resulting in frustration. I changed my approach.

Took egmat SC course, a good start, very briskly and effectively touches upon all basic finite rules (majority), well explained, got my grey cells moving. After I got this foundation, I used the club grammar book, which is much more in depth and well laid out level wise. Following both now, I am more confidant about the rules and concepts to be precise. Can solve the problems effectively. But yes, it will need me more browse through the forum and revision, revision, revision and practice, practice and practice to come up in my scores. Gradually we can start following threads on strategies, Ron's free sessions etc to hone skills more

Recently I did not take any mocks, but next week I will, and hope to do well.

Hope this adds a bit to your improvised approach.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dipankar6435 wrote:
Vercules wrote:
Hi exploringm,

Vercules

Hi Vercules

Hi Dipankar,

It is fine if you are not able to explain the answer choices in terms of grammatical lingo as long as you are able to determine why an answer choice is correct/ incorrect. For instance,

Scoring 70% in the test, John was admired by everyone.

Scoring 70% in the test, everyone admired John.

In the above two examples you should be able to determine that the first one is correct because the starting modifier requires a subject and it has to be John. Knowing exactly what is this modifier is called (fyi... adverbial modifier) is not necessary. GMAT is an exam of application, so, one needs to be skillful enough to apply them on the questions. If you able to understand the explanations and apply those rules in solving SC questions you are good to go. I know a lot of people who have scored 700+ without knowing the grammatical lingo. It is really good for you that you are able to solve a majority of 700+ level questions efficiently, but, you should also be able to do so with same efficiency in mock tests (especially GMATPrep). If you are able to consistently achieve a good score, you need worry.

Regarding the question banks, If you are done with OG 12, 13, you can go for Verbal review 2nd edition. Next best thing after OG and GMAT prep tests is the MGMAT CATs. Moreover, GMAT club questions will surely serve as a good question bank for you, but as there are hundreds of question here and it is impossible for one (also not required) to do all, you may want to make a selection based on your weakness/ improvement areas.

Personally I only referred to OGs, Verbal Review, MGMAT and GMATPrep tests during my each attempt for GMAT(I did take a few courses/ classes but it didn't really help me). Not surprisingly, in my last attempt I thoroughly did just OG + GMAT Prep and it paid off.

Bottom-line - You can score really well without knowing all the formal grammatical terms, but, knowing them would surely add up to your existing knowledge. When practicing, nothing comes even close to the actual GMAT questions from official sources.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
Intern
Intern
Send PM
exploringm wrote:
exploringm wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:

Took a Princeton Review verbal test... got a 34/41. At least i'm consistent.. with some mild improvement. It estimated a 38 on the verbal portion.

Hi Vercules,

I'm still plugging away at my studies. Quant has taken more of the fore-front of it but I try to re-visit verbal from time to time just so it stays fresh. I've taken 2 gmatprep mock exams now. The results were 35 on the first one and 37 on the 2nd. I think the first once is somewhat attributable to test fatigue. That was the first time I had taken the verbal immediately following taking the quant.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sdas wrote:
Dipankar6435 wrote:
Vercules wrote:
Hi exploringm,

Vercules

Hi Vercules

Hi Dipankar,

My personal experience and advise

I was in similar situation as I could understand from your message. As a non native speaker, especially being academically out of touch from English Grammar, it was difficult for me to follow MGMAT SC. Foundation book was also tough for me (partly because I did not spend much time on it). This book, and also the live sessions that I attended, expects us to know the basics right and just attack strategies in live sessions and advanced discussions in the book (advance for me, who lost touch with grammar for more than a decade).
It took me sometime to analyze where I was going wrong - i think, I was not mastering the concepts in depth, of grammar, by heart, but trying to solve the practice questions vaguely - resulting in frustration. I changed my approach.

Took egmat SC course, a good start, very briskly and effectively touches upon all basic finite rules (majority), well explained, got my grey cells moving. After I got this foundation, I used the club grammar book, which is much more in depth and well laid out level wise. Following both now, I am more confidant about the rules and concepts to be precise. Can solve the problems effectively. But yes, it will need me more browse through the forum and revision, revision, revision and practice, practice and practice to come up in my scores. Gradually we can start following threads on strategies, Ron's free sessions etc to hone skills more

Recently I did not take any mocks, but next week I will, and hope to do well.

Hope this adds a bit to your improvised approach.

Sdas....Thanx Man :)
I guess we are in the same boat as far as SC is concerned. I have my GMAT in a month so I do not have much time to spare.
BTW just attended egmat's free SC session yesterday and was really impressed by it. Registered for the free trial, gave its diagnostic (scored 83 but ni idea wat percentile is that). However, I am reluctant to join its SC course owing to time constraints(I mean I have to take all the mocks and then there is Quant, RC and CR too). So I intend on practicing some questions and see if i can manage without the egmat course(69$ is also playing a role here :wink: ). All the best for your prep.
Cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
Dipankar6435 wrote:
Vercules wrote:
Hi exploringm,

Vercules

Hi Vercules

Hi Dipankar,

It is fine if you are not able to explain the answer choices in terms of grammatical lingo as long as you are able to determine why an answer choice is correct/ incorrect. For instance,

Scoring 70% in the test, John was admired by everyone.

Scoring 70% in the test, everyone admired John.

In the above two examples you should be able to determine that the first one is correct because the starting modifier requires a subject and it has to be John. Knowing exactly what is this modifier is called (fyi... adverbial modifier) is not necessary. GMAT is an exam of application, so, one needs to be skillful enough to apply them on the questions. If you able to understand the explanations and apply those rules in solving SC questions you are good to go. I know a lot of people who have scored 700+ without knowing the grammatical lingo. It is really good for you that you are able to solve a majority of 700+ level questions efficiently, but, you should also be able to do so with same efficiency in mock tests (especially GMATPrep). If you are able to consistently achieve a good score, you need worry.

Regarding the question banks, If you are done with OG 12, 13, you can go for Verbal review 2nd edition. Next best thing after OG and GMAT prep tests is the MGMAT CATs. Moreover, GMAT club questions will surely serve as a good question bank for you, but as there are hundreds of question here and it is impossible for one (also not required) to do all, you may want to make a selection based on your weakness/ improvement areas.

Personally I only referred to OGs, Verbal Review, MGMAT and GMATPrep tests during my each attempt for GMAT(I did take a few courses/ classes but it didn't really help me). Not surprisingly, in my last attempt I thoroughly did just OG + GMAT Prep and it paid off.

Bottom-line - You can score really well without knowing all the formal grammatical terms, but, knowing them would surely add up to your existing knowledge. When practicing, nothing comes even close to the actual GMAT questions from official sources.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Vercules you are awesome 8-)
So some more queries coming your way :wink:
1. I have read somewhere in this forum that we MUST NOT exhaust official questions till just before the actual GMAT. Taking cue from there, I have not touched the OG 13 as yet. Should I change my approach?
2. I only have the OG 13 right now with me. Does OG12 contain different questions than those in OG13. If yes, I think i will need to purchase OG12 too :?
3. How are the Verbal review 2nd edition questions in comparison to OG 13 questions(easier, harder or of the same level).

Apologies if i m being too greedy in my inquisition here :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dipankar6435 wrote:

Vercules you are awesome 8-)
So some more queries coming your way :wink:
1. I have read somewhere in this forum that we MUST NOT exhaust official questions till just before the actual GMAT. Taking cue from there, I have not touched the OG 13 as yet. Should I change my approach?
2. I only have the OG 13 right now with me. Does OG12 contain different questions than those in OG13. If yes, I think i will need to purchase OG12 too :?
3. How are the Verbal review 2nd edition questions in comparison to OG 13 questions(easier, harder or of the same level).

Apologies if i m being too greedy in my inquisition here :)

Thanks, you are not being greedy at all :-) and these are very justified questions.

Many people do that, please do not do that. If you save OG 13 till the end, then you will not know the exact patterns that GMAT tests. I did the same in my previous attempt and found very little time to assimilate all the official guide questions + explanations. OG13/ 12 should be the book that you should refer to from the beginning and till the end of your prep. Believe me, I still have OG13 on my table right now. Each and every test prep company uses OG to come up with their questions/ course materials. I think you may have read that one should save the GMATPrep tests and not exhaust them. Surprisingly, I do not completely agree to this point of view as well. I strongly suggest everyone to take the first GMATPrep test at the earliest possible time during ones preparation. It is vital to get a feel of the format of the test and a comfort level with the online testing platform. Moreover, it will give you the true picture of your current level on GMAT. Suppose one wants to score 720 on GMAT, but how will he know where he/ she is starting from? If one scores 550 on the initial GMATPrep test then one will have a starting point and end point in mind and realize that he/ she has to cover a gap of 220 points. If one scores 650 the gap is 70 and so on.

Yes OG 13, has new questions but they are very few of them. You can find the list of unique question in both the official guides HERE. You will also find the excel in THIS post helpful, which also lists unique questions and contains links to GMATClub posts with discussions thes questions.

Like OG13, the Verbal review also contains questions arranged in the order of their difficulty level. So, in this book you will get additional set of questions to practice/ learn from. In my opinion the Verbal Review contains a greater number of difficult question than does OG.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13964 posts