Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Unexpected but still happy, after all there is no such rule [#permalink]
@greatps24
Honestly speaking, I got no idea for quant section. For verbal, perhaps distraction caused the damage.
Director
Director
Send PM
@GMATninja
If I consider dating your favourite student and decide to meet her by going to Canada, then considering the cost associated with such dating trip, I shall ask her to rather come to India. :wink:
Anyways, great suggestion for your thread. That will definitely work for students such as me.
Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
@greatps24
Honestly speaking, I got no idea for quant section. For verbal, perhaps distraction caused the damage.

How did you prepare for Quant? 49 is a good score
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
good profile name, i often confused MArcab of Macfauz....hahah
well good luck for your journey ahead i know 750+ is on cards for you....RED BULL was the spoiler..

Good luck
Archit
Director
Director
Send PM
megafan wrote:
Marcab wrote:
@greatps24

How did you prepare for Quant? 49 is a good score

I referred MGMAT guides and GC quant tests. I think these are sufficient.
Regards.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
Unexpected but still happy, after all there is no such rule that you can take GMAT only once.

I am a typical Indian guy with lots of aspirations-nice salary, nice car, ability to spoil you parents by fulfilling all their wishes and definitely a cute girlfriend. I was in my junior of my engineering when I realised that in order to fulfill all my aspirations, I have to reach a good B school. Now the question was-from where? Whether to take CAT or take GMAT. While I was confused with this stuff, I got scholarship offer from University of Edinburgh for its Masters in Management program. I was awarded two scholarships, a financial incentive of around 8000 GBP. It was tempting, but only until when I asked myself why an MiM and why not an MBA. I consulted various web sources and finally decided to defer the admission. (Yes! they gave me such option). I deferred it happily and finally decided to appear for GMAT.
I consulted back to GMAT Club of which I was a member when I was in junior year of my undergraduation. By this time I started active participation on GMAT Club. Since I had no major issues with quant, I decided to concentrate on verbal. Purchased MGMAT SC(SC Bible) and studied it, and side by side made notes. Soon I took the GMAT and got the score 640. It was the baseline, so definitely there was some hard work to do. After all no one becomes the CEO without any hard work.

Initial days on GMAT Club:
Had a nice interaction on forum with members such as GMATBull, JP27 etc. They posted SC questions and I really loved to solve those questions. Sometimes, these questions made me refer back to SC Bible and later I found to be very beneficial. For maths, Bunuel and Vips0000 were great as usual. Seriously speaking, they helped a lot.

Active period on GC:
The strategy that I adapted for SC was to find as many errors as possible during preparation time. I didn't time while practicing SC questions and as a result I took as much as 3-4 minutes to answer questions. But lately, practice reduced my time to about 45-50 seconds. This saved time helped me a lot and saved me enough time for RC and CR questions. I don't have anything to say about RC becase this is the section I fear the most, whereas CR is just a puzzle game. Enjoy each and every section on the GMAT.

Material used:
Probably I used and practiced 80% of the resources and questions available on earth. So probably, if I were to mention the resources then would ask you to call me rather. But yes, I can definitely name the best of the resources that I used.
1) MGMAT SC guide
2) MGMAT advanced guide
3) Veritas RC
4) Veritas Probability and combinatorics.
5) CR directory on GMAT Club.
6) e-GMAT: One of the best courses available. If one is facing a bit with SC, then I shall recommend e-GMAT. The course is divided into different levels and the best thing is that one cannot go to next level without scoring a minimum. "FIVE STARS".

Practice Test Scores: Don't remember the date, sorry for that.
GMAT prep 1: 640
After two months:
MGMAT CAT 1: 730
MGMAT CAT 2: 720
MGMAT CAT 3: 750
MGMAT CAT 4: 760
9th Feb- GMAT Prep 2: 780

Didn't study for the last two days prior to exam apart from just revising the notes that I made and solving some questions on GC: time spent-around 30 mins. The day prior to exam, played console games for hours and never thought about the exam. Whenever the thought came, I calmed down myself by saying that if I don't score well this time, I will take the exam again.

12th feb:
Took two KitKat chocolates and a Red Bull( the biggest mistake till date)
The essay and IR was fairly nice. Can't say whether it went good or bad, but yeah I was pretty relax.
In the break following IR, gave some splases of water on my face and had one KitKat. The moment I tried to resume after the break, the system asked for some crap login id and password. I raised hand and called the administrator. He came and entered the id and password. The next thing that happened was the least expected. The system got crashed. It stopped working and I wondered what the hell was happening. But later I thought, "if it crashes then I will complain to GMAC and they will allow me a free retake, as a result I will get more time to study." :-D
But somehow the administrator made the computer work again. A big disappointment. Somehow with an utter disappointment on my face, I took the quant section.
In the break following, I gave a splash of water on my face, ate KitKat and had RedBull and then I resumed the test.
By the time, I was facing 10th question, I felt that I need to go washroom. But I convinced myself that I can go for loo after the exam gets over. The plan failed. The feeling became uncontrollable after sometime, and this definitely had some negative effect on my performance. I finished with the exam and got 720.

I will be retaking the GMAT because I am not facing any deadline pressure. By the time, I have some 3 years experience, I'll get enough time to improve my profile in every aspect.

P.S.: I would suggest everyone, don't go for RedBull in your breaks.
I am single, so I am pretty much worried-with whom am I going to spend the Valentines Day. :?

Congratulations!

One last bit of advice: You may still want to, but you don't need to re-take.

Above 700, all they care about is your application (provided you are not an IT fellow!).
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks Karishma.
Unfortunately I am an IT fellow but fortunately I will get enough time to distinguish myself from others in my resume. Considering my background, I will have to retake the exam.
Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah dude. 720 is too low for you, though it would have been gr8 for me...:)

You should at least get perfect 800!!!..Just kiddin.. :wink:

The mock scores you got r really gr8. Wish I had those.. :evil:

Hey you are seem to be already in relationship with GMAT, u even seriously dated her once right. Next time seduce her... :lol:... nd move over to another..:D

Good luck for your next date!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Marcab wrote:
@macfauz...
Thanks bro. Lets see, what the next shot has got for me.

Marcab,

I know how you feel - when your body is not cooperative on a timed exam, it`s a real pain. The morning of my GMAT I was nervous and did not have an appetite, but I bought a donut and a coffee on my way to review notes before writing the exam at noon. I was able to finish my coffee and stomach half of my donut (around 9:30am) before throwing the rest out.

When I sat for the GMAT at noon, everything started out well. By time I was midway through verbal section, however, I started getting hunger pangs (it was past 3:30pm at this point) and feeling dizzy. One of the next questions required me to read a passage about some obscure species of toads in South America and the material just was not sinking in (likely because of the dizziness)... so I had to guess at the four next questions relating to the passage just to stay on pace. I ended up scoring a Q49/V35/AWA 6.0, but I`m sure I could have done better on the verbal (I understand getting 3 or 4 questions wrong in a row can be disastrous). Like you, I was dissapointed, and I wanted to redo the exam. However after reading the stats on most Canadian business schools, it didn`t seem necessary and so I applied with the 700 despite my pride (and got into McGill).

I believe for my circumstances, this decision was appropriate. However, based on the number of applicants from India flooding into many of the top Canadian schools, I would say you need to differentiate yourself. Even though 720 is a great score and you should be proud of it, if you think you can do better, go for it. You may already be a shoe-in to most programs, but a higher GMAT will increase your odds of being admitted with a scholarship. That`s my two nickel's worth (Canada just got rid of the penny).

Good luck with the ladies!

Carl
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
@Marcab

My D-Day is about to come,please suggest the substitute to RED BULL,which will not trigger loo that too in VERBAL part .
:P
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Maybe Five Hour Energy, since it has a higher caffeine-to-liquid ratio? Or a shot of espresso?

I usually drink a huge mug of coffee before my tests and a can of Red Bull during my breaks... and then I just make a point of visiting the loo during both of my breaks, just to be safe. I guess it all depends on the size of your bladder?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
targetgmatchotu wrote:
@Marcab

My D-Day is about to come,please suggest the substitute to RED BULL,which will not trigger loo that too in VERBAL part .
:P

Try to get your energy from some healthy snack (a breakfast bar/a small sandwich) and use a few sips of water to relieve the dry throat.
Director
Director
Send PM
@targetgmatchotu...
Since I too had a bad experience during breaks, I shall suggest to go with what Ninja and Karishma say without any "if" and "but".
Good luck for D-day.
Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Maybe Five Hour Energy, since it has a higher caffeine-to-liquid ratio? Or a shot of espresso?

I usually drink a huge mug of coffee before my tests and a can of Red Bull during my breaks... and then I just make a point of visiting the loo during both of my breaks, just to be safe. I guess it all depends on the size of your bladder?

Could not agree more! 5-hour energy seems ideal. I would test run it a couple times on practise tests to see how your body reacts to it first though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Have been waiting for your debrief ..Your contribution to the verbal forum is awesome..I wish you good luck for you retake and hope you get into a relationship also by next valentine's day :-D :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
whatever you do, you inspire us - so keep it up! cheers..
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts