Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
sunjuu1 wrote:
Guy's, question; bottom line, would you choose duke or cornell?

Both schools are pretty different (in my opinion), so it will come down to where you feel the most comfortable. Did you get into both?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
sunjuu1 wrote:

I'll field this one, since I'm an expert...

it depends
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Both schools are pretty different (in my opinion), so it will come down to where you feel the most comfortable. Did you get into both?

I got into both :). I am in finance and though Cornell could be a better fit, Duke is great as well. And, I am influenced by the area and like NC better.
It is a tough call. When I visited Ithaca everyone at the school were amazing and I got a really good vibe.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

I got into both :). I am in finance and though Cornell could be a better fit, Duke is great as well. And, I am influenced by the area and like NC better.
It is a tough call. When I visited Ithaca everyone at the school were amazing and I got a really good vibe.

Can you go to DJ and BDW? I'd try to do that, and then decide
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Congrats! Mind if I ask your stats?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:

Duke

awesome people (I do have some good friends at Johnson but I found Team Fuqua to be the real deal)
better lifestyle and weather
slightly better rankings and reputation
Cameron Indoor!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
sunjuu1 wrote:

I checked out Cornell when I was doing an MBA tour about a year ago. My thoughts compared to Duke:

1) I genuinely liked the folks at Cornell slightly better than at Duke during my brief visit. I wonder if this is because Cornell has a bit younger student body, and as a younger applicant myself, I connected with those students better. Duke has a great people too, but I think I would have applied to Cornell had it not been for reason #2.

2) I was very turned off by Cornell's career services. I remember walking up to one of the top floors to the career services office...there was a posting outside the door listing where all the 2nd years were headed after graduation. I was disappointed by the names on that list for a few reasons. First, the company names were so similar to those that recruited at my undergrad (state school, good rep). Also, there was such a lack of variety, especially compared to Duke's career report (https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/documents/mba ... 011-12.pdf).

People here tell you that it depends - and it totally does. My negative comments are largely based on what I am hoping to get out of bschool and what I am trying to avoid. Maybe you want to head to a company that already recruits at Cornell? Or are planning to start your own venture or perhaps return to your current firm?

After attending Blue Devil Weekend earlier this month, I will say that no amount of research can really show you what the experience is like more than attending a welcome weekend (looking back, I wish schools had such a welcome weekend for prospective students!). So I'd encourage you to attend both welcome weekends and figure out what you're trying to get out of business school.

Also, don't get caught up in how people perceive the rankings. I get frustrated reading comments such as "there is no way X school is ranked there", when in reality those people have no real experience at each business school...unless they attended each program for the full 2 years! People who say such things are likely basing their opinions off of what other or past rankings are reporting rather than any special knowledge. Check out the rankings and focus more on the specifics rather than the general rank (https://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ls-ranking).

Figure out what you're trying to achieve for the next 2 years, attend both welcome weekends, and hopefully you'll have more clarity.

Congratulations and best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Duke

awesome people (I do have some good friends at Johnson but I found Team Fuqua to be the real deal)
better lifestyle and weather
slightly better rankings and reputation
Cameron Indoor!

I might face the similar situation if I have Duke in the sack... Hard choice. Btw, I am also in finance and love basketball...

Cornell:

Pros: Ivy brand; artistic Ithaca location; closer to NYC and strong finance-focus (Citi and UBS heavy); more delicate program with focus on experiential learning.

Cons: smaller size means less active alums; weather is a killer if you are from south; more sterotype students who are heading into finance and consulting; less globalized though the new Dean from INSEAD might strive to change that - I saw significant changes in the AO process this year.

Duke:

Pros: slightly better branding image in US; arguably the most globalized US program (Kellogg and Booth might argue); diversified student body and team culture (Team Fuqua is unique); the best in the South; Sports tradition; cozy life style with lower costs

Cons: too much expansion lately and student quality is a concern; far away from financial hub so not convenient to do informational interview in NYC/Boston; no clear focus (maybe diversity, but that could hardly help you if you are determined to get into one industry/function).

It is really hard to make a choice. I've talked with a Duke alum who turned down Wharton, Kellogg and Tuck. It's mainly about fit. I second that attending the student weekend will be a good idea.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For those of you going through ReVera right now can you please post if both of your recommenders were contacted, so far it's been just one for me. Also has any Round 1 admit received confirmation that their verification is complete? Its been over 2 weeks since I submitted the form.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Corporate Finance (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
For those of you going through ReVera right now can you please post if both of your recommenders were contacted, so far it's been just one for me. Also has any Round 1 admit received confirmation that their verification is complete? Its been over 2 weeks since I submitted the form.

I was an EA admit and I received an email notification from ReVera on Friday that my background check was complete. I'd guess you still have a few months before they get back to you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bks0709 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

I was an EA admit and I received an email notification from ReVera on Friday that my background check was complete. I'd guess you still have a few months before they get back to you.

What exactly does ReVera ask in their form and do they contact all of the jobs, recommenders, extracurricular, etc'?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Corporate Finance (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:
bks0709 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

What exactly does ReVera ask in their form and do they contact all of the jobs, recommenders, extracurricular, etc'?

To be honest, I filled out the form so long ago that I don't remember. Maybe a R1 admit can help you out there.

I don't understand why people care so much about who/what ReVera asks. You have to go through it to matriculate and you shouldn't be concerned if everything in your application was the truth.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, thx. It is not a concern. It is the final step in the process... makes sense to learn all you can about it. Also, I would like to give the people who are contacted a heads up so they know what its about. I am sure it will be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
bks0709 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Same here. Re Vera contacted me this past Friday to let me know that my verification was complete. It definitely took a while though (about 3 months).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
bks0709 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Same here. Re Vera contacted me this past Friday to let me know that my verification was complete. It definitely took a while though (about 3 months).

Any idea how long ago they contacted your recommenders or your HR? One early admit here had this process take only a week from start to finish.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
They contacted my recommender back in December, which was around when they began the background check. They called only one of my recommenders, which was my Direct Supervisor, and since she wasn't there to pick up, Re Vera sent her an email with a few simple questions. My company's HR department doesn't deal directly with ReVera or any 3rd party companies performing background checks. Instead, they tell them to go to https://www.verifyjob.com, and if ReVera has any further questions, they can fax our HR department. The only time ReVera contacted me was when they needed information to access https://www.verifyjob.com, but that's about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys I'm a Round 1 admit and here's where I'm at with the background check below.

Paid and filled out form 2/11

Received payment confirmation 2/14 (I called them to see where it was at and jumpstarted the process). If its been three days and you haven't received a confirmation email definitely call them.

Contacted my Employer 2/15 (Revera told my employer they are back logged with verifications so they are moving through them)

Contacted my recommender 2/20
Still waiting as of today.

I wouldn't worry about the process as it's just a formality. Just make sure that you send a heads up email to your recommender (I would include your resume as a courtesy) and your employer (unless you are doing a hold). If you request a hold you won't receive an email until the hold is released.
Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  61   62   63   64   65   66   67  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts