Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 23:06 It is currently 03 May 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 796 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
WE:Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I am an R2 applicant (admitted 2/13). I received the scholarship call yesterday too (3/14). It's 10k/year for 2 years. Neither the phone call nor the letter mentioned out-of-state tuition waive. Do those of you who got the same call receive out-of-state tuition waive in addition to the scholarship? Does the letter clearly state this?
Anyways, a big surprise and I am really happy. Best wishes to all those are still waiting for the results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
ygyh wrote:
I am an R2 applicant (admitted 2/13). I received the scholarship call yesterday too (3/14). It's 10k/year for 2 years. Neither the phone call nor the letter mentioned out-of-state tuition waive. Do those of you who got the same call receive out-of-state tuition waive in addition to the scholarship? Does the letter clearly state this?
Anyways, a big surprise and I am really happy. Best wishes to all those are still waiting for the results.

I'm pretty sure anyone who received money also got the waiver. you can call them to double check - i may be wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
ygyh wrote:

Congrats on the scholarship. My e-mail explicitly mentions the out of state waiver. Here is what it says:
Quote:
Greetings from the McCombs School of Business. We are excited to offer you an increased Admissions Recruiting Scholarship. Your new scholarship offer is $10,000 plus and an Out-State Tuition Waiver (worth approximately $15,000 per year). This is a merit based scholarship (worth approximately $25,000 for your first year in the MBA program) given to applicants with strong academic backgrounds, solid career experience and demonstrated leadership and involvement. We view you as a candidate who embodies the values of the McCombs community and believe you will be an integral member of the Texas MBA Class of 2015.

This scholarship awards you $10,000 per year ($5,000 per semester) and the Out-Of-State Tuition Waiver for the two years (60 graduate hours) that you are in our program. The only conditions for this scholarship are your enrollment in the standard 15 hours of graduate business coursework for both semesters of the first year, and that you maintain good academic standing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Do you guys think visiting the school would make a difference at all in regards to getting off of the waitlist?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
Turtleinatutu wrote:
Do you guys think visiting the school would make a difference at all in regards to getting off of the waitlist?

I think I remember mccombs saying that campus visits don't factor into decisions. Not sure though. If you know what your weaknesses were in your application you should look for a way to mitigate them. For example low gpa maybe enroll in an extension class. Lack of leadership, look for opportunities to lead service in the community. Not sure if you'd want to retake the GMAT but that's always a possibility.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Top-tier law firms do need attorney's with MBA skill-sets. For example, expert witness MBA testimony can often be unduly long. Lawyers who make partner spot the one fact that matters. With it, the best option at law is found. As a result, clients like the billable hours and legal outcome.

kasonhills wrote:
Coyote77 wrote:
I just posted the same question in the MSB forum

Georgetown or McCombs:

**really looking forward to any current students responses**

My goal is to land a top consulting or i-banking job. I know they are two different paths, but my goal is to see a lot of companies post-graduation. I think I-banking is more that route - but I am an attorney, so I think consulting firms might be attracted to that. I know that here in Texas - that one or two years of consulting or i-banking in NYC opens up every job in the world in Texas finance. thoughts?

I'll be straight with you. You've been fed a line of bull. One or two years consulting/banking will definitely not open up every job in the world in Texas finance. In fact, a few years of I-banking/consulting won't likely open more doors than you would have at b-school. Consulting recruiters are masters at selling the exit opps, but the truth is, if you really want to exit to a c-suite job with a big company, you will probably need to put in enough time to make director/partner at your consulting firm and your chances thin dramatically as you go down from mbb to lower tier firms. If you want a mid level management job, well then what is even the point of going into consulting/banking as you can land those jobs right out of B-school? And these companies will be coming to recruit you, rather than you having to do all the footwork.

So if you already know you want to move into corporate finance, why not just go straight there from your MBA?

But if you are dead set on it banking/consulting than I-banking makes more sense if your long term goal is corporate finance. It seems like most consultants exit to things other than finance - business development, strategy, operations, product management etc. Though I'm sure some do move into finance I just don't see how consulting is the door to it. Bankers on the other hand tend to move into finance roles, though they can certainly move into other roles too.

I haven't looked into Georgetown much so I can't say which would be better. Given that McCombs is generally a little higher ranked I'd guess it would offer a slightly higher chance of getting a top consulting/banking job.

That being said, I wouldn't say that either school gives you a particularly great shot at the top tier firms. That is, if you are talking about the m/b/b and goldman/jpm tier. IF you are talking about Deloitte or citibank, yeah you might have a good shot from either school. But I also don't think that they will open the same doors as those more prestigious firms would.

Last point cause this is getting long. Your goals and background make it seem like you aren't quite sure what you are doing. You're an attorney, who either wants to go into i-banking or consulting (two very different paths which are completely different than law) with the goal of working in finance after a year or two. Just seems very muddled, there is nothing really tying things together.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Turtleinatutu wrote:

I highly doubt that it would, but if you live close by, it will not hurt to try.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Can anyone talk about the venture fellows program?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
got my tickets to preview weekend anyone else??????
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
TonyMontana896 wrote:
got my tickets to preview weekend anyone else??????

I'm all booked and got a good hotel deal on Priceline. Can't wait for it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Does anyone know if investment banking firms recruit out of UT-Houston? I'm interested in Oil & Gas, and I would think being in the heart of Houston would be an advantage even though it's not the UT fulltime program...

Thanks, in advance, for your insight!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Are the students at McCombs a pretty tight knit group, or is more of a lone wolf type of class? Are there assigned learning teams or study groups like at other schools? Do they have opportunities for spouses to get involved?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Applied through the Consortium to McCombs. Had numerous issues be presented through the process. Whether intentional or incompetence on their part is presently irrelevant. If you’ve checked both status page only to not see a decision when promised, consider yourself functionally on a de facto waiting list. Today, I pressed the school for a straight answer. Only then, did they officially present the option to accept/reject a wait list spot. Said, yes.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
kasonhills wrote:
Are the students at McCombs a pretty tight knit group, or is more of a lone wolf type of class? Are there assigned learning teams or study groups like at other schools? Do they have opportunities for spouses to get involved?

Pretty much the first question I asked McCombs students and alumni during my research the past ~4 yrs. was if the student body was collegial or competitive. Most schools will claim they are collegial because they all stress team collaboration by leveraging diverse backgrounds. However, I felt like I talked to enough people (students, alumni, people who worked w/ McCombs grads, 3rd party admissions counselors) to really sense that McCombs is a genuinely collegial atmosphere. Even without soliciting for that answer, mostly everyone stressed the helpful intra-student collaboration and close relationships as their favorite part of their McCombs experience. This included helping each other interview (even at times for the same company), second-year students helping first-year students w/ the difficult quantitative courses, and more. If you think that more fierce competition is what will jump-start your motivation to succeed, McCombs may not be the place for you. It’s not that the students don’t push each other, because they do, but they say it’s in a healthy way that pushes the greater whole to succeed.

You’re assigned in your first-year to a 4-to-6-person study group, which is part of a larger ~65-person cohort for all your core classes. Most of your networking outside of your cohort will come from the extracurricular groups, etc. Once you move to your elective courses, you’ll be paired up w/ more hodge-podge groups of students.
Finally, the Students and Significant Others (SAS) organization provides support and social activities to introduce McCombs couples and families to Austin. SAS usually has about 50 couples per class, and the school claims it as one of the most active and resourceful clubs at McCombs. There are sub groups for males, international couples, and couples w/ kids. As a back-up option, you can always just bring your spouse to the other types of activities (tailgating/games, trivia Thursdays, etc.) until they develop a few closer friends.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what factors others are weighing that received a scholarship from McCombs? I got a similar call to others late last week and its certainly weighing on my decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
USAFinDenver wrote:
kasonhills wrote:

Finally, the Students and Significant Others (SAS) organization provides support and social activities to introduce McCombs couples and families to Austin. SAS usually has about 50 couples per class, and the school claims it as one of the most active and resourceful clubs at McCombs. There are sub groups for males, international couples, and couples w/ kids. As a back-up option, you can always just bring your spouse to the other types of activities (tailgating/games, trivia Thursdays, etc.) until they develop a few closer friends.

Posted from my mobile device

Just wanted to add -- the SAS organization has its own Facebook group. My wife has already gotten a lot of answers to questions on there.

Also, check out Christine Chen's videos on YouTube. Great look at student life.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you both for the info. Very helpful and insightful. That really makes me lean towards McCombs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts