Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink]
Kudos
In my opinion, for someone who has struggled to break 40+ in Verbal but understands the basics well enough to crack 30 every time, there is one incredibly straightforward path to success. Read 10+ full English WSJ articles a day for a couple of months and at the end of each article, map the structure of the article (MGMAT calls this making a "skeleton"). It's really that simple. You'll become familiar with the type of syntax, vocabulary, and style that the GMAT utilizes, and you'll also hone your critical reading skills.

I'd wish you good luck, but as I'm convinced that this is a foolproof strategy, then let me just wish you good willpower to follow through with this type of strategy.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
shindesubodh wrote:
Hi,
In both the GMAT Prep Practice tests that I took, I was able to attempt only 32(in 1st test)-34(in 2nd test) questions and scored 33 & 34 respectively in verbal. I also noticed that out of these questions, I answered 9-10 questions wrongly i.e my accuracy rate was below 70%. I want to know: generally people who get verbal score of more that 40 on actual GMAT, are they able attempt all the 41 questions genuinely or they also skip some last questions or guess few in between to complete the test on time? Also what is there accuracy rate. My aim here is to get an idea about how my speed matches with other and how much accuracy I need, my aim is to get 40+ in verbal and hence want to form a strategy accordingly.

I would request people who have achieved v40+ in GMAT, people who score V40+ on other mock tests as well as instructors to please throw some light on the question above.

If you're aiming at V40+, you're going to need to finish all the questions in time. A good test taker will be able to finish with just a minute or so of time.

Pacing is tricky - but a lot of it comes with knowing what to read carefully and what not to ready carefully - so you know how to breeze through things slowly.

We walk through some sample passages in slow motion so you know what exactly to read and what not to - all in an attempt to help you reduce your time per question.

https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
gmatpill wrote:
shindesubodh wrote:
Hi,
In both the GMAT Prep Practice tests that I took, I was able to attempt only 32(in 1st test)-34(in 2nd test) questions and scored 33 & 34 respectively in verbal. I also noticed that out of these questions, I answered 9-10 questions wrongly i.e my accuracy rate was below 70%. I want to know: generally people who get verbal score of more that 40 on actual GMAT, are they able attempt all the 41 questions genuinely or they also skip some last questions or guess few in between to complete the test on time? Also what is there accuracy rate. My aim here is to get an idea about how my speed matches with other and how much accuracy I need, my aim is to get 40+ in verbal and hence want to form a strategy accordingly.

I would request people who have achieved v40+ in GMAT, people who score V40+ on other mock tests as well as instructors to please throw some light on the question above.

If you're aiming at V40+, you're going to need to finish all the questions in time. A good test taker will be able to finish with just a minute or so of time.

Pacing is tricky - but a lot of it comes with knowing what to read carefully and what not to ready carefully - so you know how to breeze through things slowly.

We walk through some sample passages in slow motion so you know what exactly to read and what not to - all in an attempt to help you reduce your time per question.

https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

HI
Whats new there, that you are providing. Every test prep company provides that, what extra do you give?
Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hi Shin - just to give you some good news, as you practice more questions and you become more familiar with the content your speed will improve. You should be really conscious as to what 'average time' you want to achieve for each question type. I don't think a 40+ verbal can afford to skip questions out of low time, as their accuracy has to be really high for a good score in Verbal and it's already hard enough to get enough right when attempting all questions.

I've scored a 40V and 37V in the official tests on verbal and it 'feels' like I answered every question correctly except maybe 1 or 2 in a test - I just get tricked by questions, compared to quant where I'm consciously skipping because I can't reach an answer on 2 minutes. I went up from 32Q and it was important to increase my speed to a point where I knew I wasn't pressed for time.

Time management strategies are really useful! I allow 15 minutes for the first 9 questions, and then 15 minutes for each of the 8 others. So I should have answered 9 by 'minute 60' of the 75mins for Verbal, 9+8 by minute '45', 9+8+8 by minute '30', etc. If I am ahead of time I will allow extra time to questions I'm unsure of, if I'm pressed in time I will not 'stray' on questions making sure they are right -or skip one if I'm really off the time, which will happen less and less as you practice
GMAT Club Bot