Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [109]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [68]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [7]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [6]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
gmat2805 wrote:
The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

(A) that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year

(B) that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year

(C) spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year

(D) spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year

(E) spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• "compared/comparison with" is used for comparing similar things and "compared/comparison to" is used for comparing different things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses "compared to" to compare two similar things - "$40 billion dollars" and "$20 billion dollars"; please remember, "compared/comparison with" is used for comparing similar things and "compared/comparison to" is used for comparing different things. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrases "says that" and "in last year", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; these usages are redundant, as "that" and "in" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses "compared to" to compare two similar things - "$40 billion dollars" and "$20 billion dollars"; please remember, "compared/comparison with" is used for comparing similar things and "compared/comparison to" is used for comparing different things. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "says that", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant, as "that" can be deleted without a loss of clarity. Moreover, Option B uses the needlessly wordy clause "and that is compared to about $20 billion last year", rendering it needlessly indirect.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses "compared with" to compare two similar things - "$40 billion dollars" and "$20 billion dollars". Further, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase "in last year", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant, as "in" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

E: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy clause "and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Compared With" versus "Compared to" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [6]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmat2805 wrote:
My doubt :- How can the option without "that" be correct ?

OA : C

The country’s Commerce secretary says that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared to about $20 billion in last year.

B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year
B and E suggests that the secretary said 1)that spending could reach 40B 2)that is compared to 20B (said these two different things, so they are not "compared" to each other).

D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year

You can use "say something" without using "that". Example: "the Act says such behavior is an offense" or "I don’t want to say too much" https://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/say

Similar Official Question: scientists-say-that-each-of-the-photographs-taken-of-the-64210.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Zarrolou, any idea when that must follow says/said. I struck off options c,d,e simply because of the missing 'that'!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmat2805 wrote:

A)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion in last year

A is wrong because it's not using spending as a noun. It's describing the action of spending which is wrong.
B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year same reason as in A
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year correct
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year "reached in last year" is wrong
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year incorrect

Please give me KUDOS if my post has helped you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Eliminate A, because in last year is not idiomatic. Last year suffices.
Eliminate B, because the second "that" is ambiguous. Besides, seldom do we use the full version of "subject be compared with/to". I think we often use the shorter version of "compared with/to".

So the right option definitely won't contain a "that" as its beginning.

Although GMAT always puts "that" after a verb to introduce an objective clause, there may be one or two times when GMAT choose to omit "that" after the verb "say".

Hopes this helps.

gmat2805 wrote:

B)that spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion last year
C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year
D)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion reached in last year
E)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, and that is compared to about $20 billion reached last year

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
dhler-
you said GMAT often do not use That to compare but you also said answer is definitly without that...

So i do not follow you what you saying...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Question that tests the minor exception of reporting verbs...

You dont need that when you are using the reporting verb 'say'....

gmat2805 wrote:

C)spending on fuel subsidies could reach $40 billion dollars in 2013, compared with about $20 billion last year

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
B and E are straight out.

Terribly confused between A C E.

Can anyone why "in" used in options is wrong. Some members have highlighted the word "in". Please explain why you find that wrong.

The official explanation is:-

The goal is simply to compare the amount in 2013 with the amount last year. First, you cannot say “$20 billion in last year” in (A) and (D) as that is illogical and should be “$20 billion last year”.

Is it idiom error to say X amount in Y year ?

PS: I wish in difficult questions also, one impart some other error in options apart from idiom, especially when the idiom is not very common.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Hello Moderators
WaterFlowsUp, Abhishek009, mikemcgarry, carcass, daagh, sayantanc2k, Skywalker18, chetan2u, CrackVerbalGMAT, YangYichen, VeritasPrepKarishma and others...
Can someone please elaborate as to why "in last year" is wrong?
I am terribly confused as like others for the above post. i haven't come across and specific law/rule about not using "in" in situation like this question provides.

Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos