Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:45 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Columbia: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
ricecake wrote:
Quick Q for everyone:

How important do you think applying ED is? CBS is tied for my top choice but I would much prefer to stay in California if my long shot to Stanford works out...(very unlikely). I think I'm a fringe candidate and applying ED would help tremendously.

If you're applying ED, then you're committing to go to Columbia if they say yes - regardless of whether Stanford says yes as well. If you are applying to Stanford and would choose them first, then that indicates you should not be applying to Columbia Early Decision. Doesn't matter how "important" ED is; it's whether you would stick to the commitment that you are making with ED or not. If you wouldn't, then don't do it.

Regular Decision is completely viable for strong candidates. It's not like Columbia compromises on their standards for ED people.

EssaySnark

PS: Sorry if this sounds harsh, we're not trying to be the Ethics Police - but it's really a simple call to make.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
ricecake wrote:
Quick Q for everyone:

How important do you think applying ED is? CBS is tied for my top choice but I would much prefer to stay in California if my long shot to Stanford works out...(very unlikely). I think I'm a fringe candidate and applying ED would help tremendously.

If you're applying ED, then you're committing to go to Columbia if they say yes - regardless of whether Stanford says yes as well. If you are applying to Stanford and would choose them first, then that indicates you should not be applying to Columbia Early Decision. Doesn't matter how "important" ED is; it's whether you would stick to the commitment that you are making with ED or not. If you wouldn't, then don't do it.

Regular Decision is completely viable for strong candidates. It's not like Columbia compromises on their standards for ED people.

EssaySnark

PS: Sorry if this sounds harsh, we're not trying to be the Ethics Police - but it's really a simple call to make.

Hey EssaySnark,

It really isn't harsh at all. :) I appreciate your candor. If I could I'd put my chance at Stanford at possibly less than 2% so it was more of a "mathematical" question in my mind. Do I even bother applying to Stanford at all? Or not and just focus on CBS ED.

I have heard that it's "more competitive" during regular rounds, for what it's worth, from current students (as in all things being equal you'd be more likely to get in). So not sure. But I do understand the ethics part of it!
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ricecake wrote:
I have heard that it's "more competitive" during regular rounds, for what it's worth, from current students (as in all things being equal you'd be more likely to get in). So not sure. But I do understand the ethics part of it!
Yes, it's more competitive in Regular Decision - as it is with all schools in Round 2. If someone is coming from an oversubscribed candidate pool or has a marginal blemish on the profile, then ED is 'easier' (if there is such a thing!) than RD. The fallacy is when people think that a flawed profile can make it in through ED - that's not what you're asking about but we hear it all the time and that's where the logic breaks down.

And on Stanford and 2%... the entire applicant pool sees a 6% admit rate. That's not the same as a probability of outcome but still, not sure where you're getting your 2% figure. :-) For everybody it's a stretch - but if you're going for the stretch goal, then it's really ruling out Columbia ED. If you're strong enough to get in through Columbia ED then you'll be strong enough in RD, generally speaking.

Here's the big risk in all of it - something that people never ever consider until after the fact:

If you get in through Columbia ED and you don't even apply to Stanford, then you'll almost definitely be kicking yourself with the whole "I wonder...?" thing. We see it happen all the time. People get accepted to one school "too easily" and then they assume they could've gotten into a higher-ranked school. We wrote about it on the EssaySnark blahg a long time ago 'cuz it comes up All. The. Time.

If you feel that you'll be kicking yourself later if you do Columbia w/o Stanford... then start off with Stanford w/o Columbia. If Stanford doesn't pan out, Columbia will be there for Regular Round.

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
ricecake wrote:
Yes, it's more competitive in Regular Decision - as it is with all schools in Round 2. If someone is coming from an oversubscribed candidate pool or has a marginal blemish on the profile, then ED is 'easier' (if there is such a thing!) than RD. The fallacy is when people think that a flawed profile can make it in through ED - that's not what you're asking about but we hear it all the time and that's where the logic breaks down.

And on Stanford and 2%... the entire applicant pool sees a 6% admit rate. That's not the same as a probability of outcome but still, not sure where you're getting your 2% figure. :-) For everybody it's a stretch - but if you're going for the stretch goal, then it's really ruling out Columbia ED. If you're strong enough to get in through Columbia ED then you'll be strong enough in RD, generally speaking.

Here's the big risk in all of it - something that people never ever consider until after the fact:

If you get in through Columbia ED and you don't even apply to Stanford, then you'll almost definitely be kicking yourself with the whole "I wonder...?" thing. We see it happen all the time. People get accepted to one school "too easily" and then they assume they could've gotten into a higher-ranked school. We wrote about it on the EssaySnark blahg a long time ago 'cuz it comes up All. The. Time.

If you feel that you'll be kicking yourself later if you do Columbia w/o Stanford... then start off with Stanford w/o Columbia. If Stanford doesn't pan out, Columbia will be there for Regular Round.

EssaySnark

+1 kudos. you're awesome :) thanks a bunch for the kick in the you know what.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hey guys,

A question thats been bothering me for quite some time:

I work in the predictive analytics space- I apply statistical techniques (segmentation, logistic regression, cluster analysis etc) on large quantities of data, discover and predict patterns of behavior of people etc and use them to advise on Strategy and devise campaigns for banks to implement those strategy.
I work for IBM but in their Strategy unit and consult for banking and financial firms.

Would you think I would be grouped into an Indian IT male category or consulting in finance category?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
My guess is it all depends on how you present yourself. With a unique job in a hot sector you can probably avoid getting lumped in any cluster if you spin it right.
Send PM
What chains1910 said. :-)

At least, somewhat.

You still look like an "IT guy" to us. It's because of the IBM thing, and it's also because - pure guess here - your educational background and the entirety of your profile. If you have the very stereotypical Indian engineering college experience on the resume then that's harder to break out of.

"Consulting in finance"... maybe... except that you're at IBM and not Deloitte or E&Y or another that's a little more horizontal, at least in perception.

It's still up to you to take control of your messaging, exactly as chains1910 stated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Chains,essaysnark.

Essaysnark, perception is exactly what I am talking about since people tend to make snap judgements- I worked in a startup and joined IBM through acquisition... if I look for a job, the companies that would be most eager to take me: Accenture, Mckinsey, Deloitte, etc. or any of the Banks ( for their strategy/marketing/campaign/analytics teams and not their IT or tech teams)

And well I did not fully understand what you meant by 'typical engineering college experience', but I did civil engineering from IIT and joined an analytics startup immediately after that.

(Btw, I worked in 2 startups, the second got acquired by IBM)
Send PM
giusippe wrote:
I did civil engineering from IIT and joined an analytics startup immediately after that.
That is exactly what we mean by 'typical engineering college experience' - your profile puts you in a certain category.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
giusippe wrote:
I did civil engineering from IIT and joined an analytics startup immediately after that.
That is exactly what we mean by 'typical engineering college experience' - your profile puts you in a certain category.

got it. essaysnark, thanks!

so I have a bigger demon now- Indian engineer in IT because he works in IBM, but potentially he might be doing something else if I look more closely.

Guess that part will depend on messaging.

However, that will bring another big problem for me - since IBM is a famous Technology firm, and he seems to be doing something else, he might not be doing a first rate, but some second rate job.

Any thoughts on that?
Send PM
Kudos
Thoughts on that are, "Now you're overthinking things." ;-)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
essaysnark wrote:
Thoughts on that are, "Now you're overthinking things." ;-)

Truer words have never been said! ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Have a 3.8 GPA [Ivy] and a 327 GRE [165 V // 162 Q]. Will it be difficult with Columbia in particular to apply with GRE scores? Also, I've had 3 jobs [very large, well-known companies] since graduating college four years ago -- will this be difficult to spin? The first was a contract position.
Send PM
Kudos
clint845 wrote:
Have a 3.8 GPA [Ivy] and a 327 GRE [165 V // 162 Q]. Will it be difficult with Columbia in particular to apply with GRE scores? Also, I've had 3 jobs [very large, well-known companies] since graduating college four years ago -- will this be difficult to spin? The first was a contract position.

The grades are great and Columbia loves good students. They traditionally have preferred the GMAT but your GRE is competitive. Don't see any problems there. The 3 jobs / 4 years might need to be explained (we prefer that to 'spinning') but you should have space in the main essay to do so. It depends on the execution.

No showstoppers from what you've shared here.
Send PM
Wow Columbia - a new website! Finally!!! Apparently it's all the same content but now in a prettier skin, e.g., this Class Profile is same as they've had published for awhile. But it looks way better.

https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admissions/classprofile
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has any of international applicants here received an interview invitation already?

In CBS's rolling-basis system, when would I expect to hear the interview invitation?
BTW, I submitted my app two weeks ago.
Send PM
At this time of the season, interview invites can come quite quickly; we often see them within a couple weeks of app submission - and in past years, some of our clients have been invited within a week of submission when they submitted in early August! But there's no fixed rules on it. Not sure what the timetable has been for that one GMAT Club person who got the invite, maybe they'll pipe up to say.

FYI, your location has no bearing on it, that's not a relevant factor in the equation.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts