Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 15:29 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 15:29
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
essaysnark wrote:
tempdude wrote:
essaysnark wrote:
As we just stated, these schools look for different things in their applicants. Stanford Essay 1 is a personal essay. Harvard has never wanted personal content in their essays. At risk of repeating ourselves, these are different requirements and a different approach is needed for both.

EssaySnark

Why make such authoritative statements if you are not HBS AdCom member. I believe the essay content can be personal or professional or something else all together, as long as it answers the question. An essay with personal content should be fine for HBS. Both my essays last year had personal content. Let me know if you need more individual help.

I agree that Stanford approach is different, mainly because the question is different.

We make these statements based on many years of watching the inputs and the outputs of the system. And in this case: We have heard Dee Leopold state directly that they want professional content.

No, we're obviously not on the Harvard Admissions Board, but we have to remind you that you are not, either.

We see what people submit in their Harvard essays, and we see how the Admissions Board responds. It's what any good admissions consultant does. What ONE PERSON'S experience was in one application is just not equivalent to our knowledgebase of what MANY MANY PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES have been. Often people are admitted despite their essays. Not saying that's what happened to you, simply explaining from where our recommendations and advice is formed.

That being said: Of course everyone should do what they think is best with their applications!! That is always and ever the case.

EssaySnark

Exactly what I mentioned earlier, tons of authoritative statements without any proof. If Dee said it, post the link. If you have "seen this" from your previous applicants, publish the numbers and content. My intent was not to claim that personal content is the way to go but was to provide at least one case where your statement was not true. My advice on the other hand is exactly what you said at the end that applicants should do what they think is the best with their application. For all of us who think this is no helping, I will stop here :)
Send PM
tempdude wrote:
Exactly what I mentioned earlier, tons of authoritative statements without any proof. If Dee said it, post the link. If you have "seen this" from your previous applicants, publish the numbers and content. My intent was not to claim that personal content is the way to go but was to provide at least one case where your statement was not true. My advice on the other hand is exactly what you said at the end that applicants should do what they think is the best with their application. I fear you'll argue anything to stay in business.

Unfortunately this is turning into a personal attack, which is a shame.

Dee Leopold made the statement verbally in a webinar. No link to offer, sorry.

We present information on our results here and we have many success stories on the EssaySnark blahg, all of which are from people who got into top schools, including Harvard. We've been doing this a long time. We don't feel the need to justify anything. We're not telling anyone they need to use the services of a consultant, ours or anyone else's. Good for you that you got into Harvard. There's definitely not one way to do so, but there's easier ways to go, and ones where people tend to make the most mistakes. That's where we try to guide people with our years of giving free advice to help even the playing field. Just trying to make it easier on everyone.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.98
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
They're asking for a description of your role, not the company. Think of the description this way - it's a summary, high level statement that rolls all of the bullet points in your resume into one short, concise, powerful statement. In other words, if you were at a dinner party and someone asks what you do for company XYZ and it was someone you wanted to impress, how would you describe your job?

Bhavik

I had this same question and emailed HBS. I quickly received a response that HBS is asking for a description of the company, not your role(s).

I had the same thought as CriticalSquareMBA, but wanted to confirm just to be sure (glad I did).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
HBS says that "For technical support on the online application, including lost PIN/passwords, “unsubmitting” a recommendation or recommender name, or difficulty uploading documents, please contact our application provider, ApplyYourself, using the online help button found in your application."

I am unable to locate the 'online help button' in the online application. Does anyone have guidance on this? Thanks.
Send PM
gumap wrote:
HBS says that "For technical support on the online application, including lost PIN/passwords, “unsubmitting” a recommendation or recommender name, or difficulty uploading documents, please contact our application provider, ApplyYourself, using the online help button found in your application."

I am unable to locate the 'online help button' in the online application. Does anyone have guidance on this? Thanks.
Where are you seeing that text? Looks like it might be legacy text from last year's app. HBS has a new application provider now, it's no longer ApplyYourself, and it has different functionality. As an example, you can remove a recommender from your application yourself, provided they haven't submitted the recommendation yet. Best bet is probably just to contact the admissions office directly with your question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks, EssaySnark. The wording I noted was in an auto-generated email from the admissions office.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I just wanted to ask whether there's a way to print the application before submitting it. I went to the review link but there's nothing like 'Preview' or 'Print Application', only 'Submit' and 'Save for Later'. I will need to make changes after viewing this preview.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
amank wrote:
Hello,

I just wanted to ask whether there's a way to print the application before submitting it. I went to the review link but there's nothing like 'Preview' or 'Print Application', only 'Submit' and 'Save for Later'. I will need to make changes after viewing this preview.

I was looking for this too, some of the others I've been filling in has an option to 'export to pdf' but I also can't find anything similar.

Another question for those blundering their way through the essay: I'd guess most people's on average will be longer than the typical essay at other schools. Is anyone considering including headers to break it up? I'm worried around 2 pages of solid text will be a tough read...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Timbob wrote:
amank wrote:
Hello,

I was looking for this too, some of the others I've been filling in has an option to 'export to pdf' but I also can't find anything similar.

Another question for those blundering their way through the essay: I'd guess most people's on average will be longer than the typical essay at other schools. Is anyone considering including headers to break it up? I'm worried around 2 pages of solid text will be a tough read...

It seems that they changed the application format this year (there was a "Print" button last year). You need to review it on the screen or just print out the screen if you need.

By the way, regarding the length of the essay, I strongly recommend that you make it concise. It may not be longer than those of other schools' essays. HBS likes straightforward communication. But I think the caption itself is not a bad idea since I put it on the last year's HBS essay.

Send PM
Keima wrote:
By the way, regarding the length of the essay, I strongly recommend that you make it concise. It may not be longer than those of other schools' essays. HBS likes straightforward communication.

Yes to the part about straightforward communication and yes to making it concise - but there's no rules about length, and the single HBS essay can absolutely go longer than what other schools allow.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Regarding the essay, would it be advisable to write about what you learned/gained from a disappointing professional experience and how it prepared you for HBS and your post-MBA goals? Or are they looking more for some unique aspect of your profile that sets you apart from other similar applicants?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
JimmyV wrote:
Regarding the essay, would it be advisable to write about what you learned/gained from a disappointing professional experience and how it prepared you for HBS and your post-MBA goals? Or are they looking more for some unique aspect of your profile that sets you apart from other similar applicants?

I think it can be a good idea to write about your setback experience (and learning from the experience) because HBS has asked such question many times .

For example, one of the two questions in class of 2015 application was "Tell us about something you wish you had done better."

You also can differentiate in the setback essay relating it to your unique background or experiences.

Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Do we need to submit our official gmat scores to hbs before applying? Or can we wait until we've been accepted? Are there any other schools that require an official report before being accepted?
Send PM
This information is clearly stated on the HBS website:

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/application-process/Pages/written-application-introduce-yourself.aspx

Quote:
When submitting your application, you may report the unofficial GMAT or GRE score given on the day of the test, or your official score if you have received it. Every applicant must request that Pearson (for the GMAT) or ETS (for the GRE) send an official score report directly to HBS.

Most schools abide by that policy but a few do not (MIT comes to mind, there may be others). Verify on the schools' websites, they all state their rules for this.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Did you guys notice that they changed the recommendation questions this year as well? They made the interaction question into 250 CHARACTERS, and completely removed the question on additional statement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Oxford'17 (M)
Send PM
not being able to log into hbs online application, not getting any error as well, any1 else getting the same ?

issue coming since today, was working fine since yesterday.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
This information is clearly stated on the HBS website:

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/application-process/Pages/written-application-introduce-yourself.aspx

Quote:
When submitting your application, you may report the unofficial GMAT or GRE score given on the day of the test, or your official score if you have received it. Every applicant must request that Pearson (for the GMAT) or ETS (for the GRE) send an official score report directly to HBS.

Most schools abide by that policy but a few do not (MIT comes to mind, there may be others). Verify on the schools' websites, they all state their rules for this.

EssaySnark

I lost you a bit there..

Did you mean that HBS requires official reports to be sent in along with the application and MIT doesnot?

As per their website: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/faq-and-chat/#GMAT/GRE

Quote:
Do I have to send you the official GMAT/GRE score report now? Or, must it be sent upon admission?
We require that the official GMAT/GRE test scores are sent to us by the application deadline. We understand that sometimes it takes 1-2 weeks for the test centers to release the scores. Therefore, it is acceptable if we receive the scores shortly after the application deadline.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts