Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 03:14 It is currently 19 May 2024, 03:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51517 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Boston College Carroll Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
hypermeganet wrote:
mistablair wrote:
I am interested in the MBA/MSF. I have finished the CFA exams, and would like to live in Boston, so Boston College would seem like a good fit. They have some fantastic professors and the curriculum seems interesting to me. However, I have some concerns over what I have read in the past BC forum topics.

The people posting may have been outliers, but they seem to say the BC has poor placements. The salary seems okay in the low 90s which is pretty as lots of the pay in finance comes from bonuses. The other topics have said though that most of the jobs at the investment firms are for back office jobs. I am not entirely sure what that means, but in private wealth management, where I work, that means mindless paper pusher.

Can any recent alumni speak to the types of careers that are available? I would like to work in financial strategy/research, it does not matter to me that be in corporate finance or for an asset management firm. As long as there are interesting decisions to be made.

Thanks.

I graduated in 2012 from BC. The jobs to which you're referring (front office investments) are pretty uncommon for graduates. A lot of people want them and almost no one gets them. Remember, these jobs are limited and pay a lot of money generally, so they are prestigious and draw many applicants from the top b-schools in the country. I think two people in my class now work in a research/investment role out of maybe 20 or so who wanted them. And it took these two people months and months after graduation to get the jobs. Research jobs don't recruit on campus and many investment houses do not recruit/hire outside of a core group of schools ("target schools").

Most "finance" jobs for BC students tend to be corporate finance. That means forecasting, P&L, budgets, etc for business units and whatnot at a larger company (Staples, Ocean Spray, Exxon, etc). I'd say 80-90% of jobs listed as "finance" by career services on the placement sheet fall into this category. These aren't bad roles, per se, and the pay will be in that $90k range in and around Boston with a modest (5-10%) bonus.

The back office jobs tend to be things like operations, IT, etc at investment firms. Back office = roles that are not revenue generating. These roles can be had at BC at major investment houses (Fidelity hires from BC for these). The pay is similar to the corporate finance roles, though.

If you sincerely want a role where you're making strategic decisions in an investment atmosphere, BC is probably not the school for you. Those who land these sorts of roles are outliers.

Thank you very much for your response. This confirms what I had suspected. I'll keep an eye on BC but I don't think I'll apply unless I find something contradictory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
To add to what hyper magnet said, the outliers from my experience were either already impressive candidates before BC or had networks, which at the end is what will most likely get you the job.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hey.. Anyone got interview invite. I have interview on Monday on skype, Does Anyone who generally interviews in Carroll is it Alumni,2nd Yr sttudent or Someone from admission committee.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
monikaleoster wrote:
Hey.. Anyone got interview invite. I have interview on Monday on skype, Does Anyone who generally interviews in Carroll is it Alumni,2nd Yr sttudent or Someone from admission committee.

It's a 2nd year student. My friends were interviewers and they told me all that all they really cared about is whether they like you. The full-time program is a small class and what they want to know is whether you will be able to work well with others. But even the ones they didn't particularly like got through based on their impressive credentials. All BC cares about is their rankings and if they can somehow get an in to Goldman Sachs, they will take that, regardless of whether it is obvious that the person is a borderline sociopath (and there were definitely a few in my class) .

BTW, don't believe any of the admissions data on employment from the Class of 2013 or the types of companies people can actually work for. They are obviously counting the many people who were employer sponsored (and hence already had jobs waiting for them upon graduation) because according to a friend of mine who was in the Class of 2013, in addition to the people who still didn't have any sort of employment, there are a lot of people who took contract or co-op work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Anyone out there who applied in round 1 and got an interview call? I applied in round 1..still waiting for them to get back
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Just got an e-mail today that let me know that I was admitted with scholarship (10K a semester). Good luck everybody!
@monikaleoster My interview was with a 2nd year student. It was pretty easy-going, he asked me an industry-related question that I bombed but other than that one question it went pretty well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
Send PM
GREnade wrote:
Just got an e-mail today that let me know that I was admitted with scholarship (10K a semester). Good luck everybody!
@monikaleoster My interview was with a 2nd year student. It was pretty easy-going, he asked me an industry-related question that I bombed but other than that one question it went pretty well.

Congrats...did you receive any assistantship also? I am also an applicant with a similar score as yours, but i am still waiting for any communication post my interview..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mcsard wrote:
GREnade wrote:

Congrats...did you receive any assistantship also? I am also an applicant with a similar score as yours, but i am still waiting for any communication post my interview..

Hello, I guess I should elaborate that I got 17 K in scholarship/year along with an assistantship for 3K
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
I received my letter of admission last Wednesday (12/11). BC was the only school I was considering so I'm planning to start in August.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FC37 wrote:
I received my letter of admission last Wednesday (12/11). BC was the only school I was considering so I'm planning to start in August.

Oh really? What made BC the only school were you considering? I'm interested because I'm considering some other schools and any information from someone who might have sat in on a class or visited the campus is always valuable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
Send PM
Such information would be useful for me also. Even i have received an admit from boston college...but i am still waitin for replies frm othr schools before deciding..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GREnade wrote:
Oh really? What made BC the only school were you considering? I'm interested because I'm considering some other schools and any information from someone who might have sat in on a class or visited the campus is always valuable.

My situation is truly unique, but the long and short of it is that I only decided to apply to b-school in late September. Originally, I expected to go part-time and stay with my current employer for the duration. I took the GMAT a few weeks later with almost no prep and got in to the evening program. A couple of weeks went by and I made the decision to totally switch the focus of my career and so I decided to go FT. Since I had already gotten in to BC's part-time program and I had basically no time to retake the GMAT or apply to other schools, I asked them to consider my app for FT.

Staying in Boston proper for the program is pretty important because my wife's job is here and we live in Brookline. It might seem like the most sensible or pragmatic thing would have been to take a prep course for the GMAT, then apply to both Sloan and Carroll for Class of 2017 (HBS isn't on my radar and I identify better with BC than I do BU). However, I'm on a tight timeline to move by the end of 2016 and there are no good MBA programs where I'm going, so this is my last chance to get my MBA from a school that has good national recognition.

All to say: I'm pretty comfortable with my decision but the factors that went in to it are mostly related to my personal situation. With this in mind, it's probably not a great barometer for others to follow.

I actually know a good deal less about BC's program than I do a number of other programs. PM me if you're weighing BC against some of the heavies (Booth, Sloan, Wharton, etc.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accpeted with scholarship, Anyone from India planning to join ...??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GREnade wrote:
mcsard wrote:
GREnade wrote:

Hello, I guess I should elaborate that I got 17 K in scholarship/year along with an assistantship for 3K

Just a confusion what does 3k mean..is it per year, Or will it be added with any kind of compensation according to number of hours you work. Otherwise 3k for an year is so less...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi ,

I have been put on waitlist. Any chance of this getting converted into an admissions offer?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10064 [0]
Given Kudos: 4547
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Webinar Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/pjoin/531329318/105379349
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any Indian applicant got an interview invite yet..??
I have submitted my application on January 15'2014 but still have note heard anything from admission committee! :|
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts