Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Tuck Vs Wharton [#permalink]
Kudos
Go where you want to spend two years of your life. Firms recruiting MBA students will know about tuck.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Sounds like you're leaning toward Tuck and want reassurance. Well you've already found it here and I'll add to it. Given your positive experiences at Tuck, you should give Wharton a big thanks but no thanks. Don't look back, Tuck is a great place!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Bookmarks
Not sure where you located, but internationally, just dropping the "ivy league" name is enough to impress the layman. If you are in a crowd of top MBAs, obviously Wharton will carry more weight, but Tuck won't be very far behind either. And you can obviously tell them that you picked Tuck over Wharton based on your fit with the school, and they will be impressed even more.

This reminds me of a kid from my high school who picked Berkeley over Yale for undergrad and he was always known as the kid who rejected Yale - he had that "wow factor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
I also vote for Tuck. It's a solid top 10 program where you can definitely reach your goals. There is some glamour to the Wharton name, but Tuck/Dartmouth/the Ivy League are also very prestigious.

Plus, if you "love" Tuck's location, spending 2 years in Philly will be torture. The students, culture, and location are extremely different. Go where you'll be happy.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I agree with everyone else. Don't go to Wharton just because it is marginally more prestigious; two years is a LONG time to be miserable. The actual school experiences at Wharton and Tuck will be so, so different. Plus, both of those schools will give you an equal shot at breaking into MBB.

For what it's worth (and in the interest of full disclosure), I got into Tuck and chose not to apply to Wharton.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Go to both admit weekends just to be sure, then go where you'll be happy. If you're planning on staying in the U.S. after graduation then the name recognition matters even less.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Follow cheeterah's advice and go to both admit weekends if you can. It sounds like you love Tuck so use these weekends to confirm. Both schools will get you into consulting so don't worry about the prestige factor too much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
DefyingGravity wrote:
I also vote for Tuck. It's a solid top 10 program where you can definitely reach your goals. There is some glamour to the Wharton name, but Tuck/Dartmouth/the Ivy League are also very prestigious.

Plus, if you "love" Tuck's location, spending 2 years in Philly will be torture. The students, culture, and location are extremely different. Go where you'll be happy.

Agree with above posts. Wharton is known to be a bit more competitive amongst students during recruiting season, whereas Tuck is known for its unmatched level of cooperation. Wharton has perhaps the largest alumni network, yet Tuck has the tightest. Which do you prefer? Plus, if it matters to you, Tuck is slightly "tougher" to get into, given it's acceptance rate ~17% vs. Wharton's ~20% admit rate. Visiting again would probably help you seal your decision! You can't go wrong either way. Gluck! :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
onsameline wrote:
Plus, if it matters to you, Tuck is slightly "tougher" to get into, given it's acceptance rate ~17% vs. Wharton's ~20% admit rate.

not quite. It's not the same pool that is applying to the two schools. Many choose not to apply to tuck for various reasons (including that they only want a top3/5/7 MBA) :)

Anyhow, I don't think that statistic should matter in the least, considering that the OP has been admitted to both.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM