Last visit was: 27 May 2024, 14:12 It is currently 27 May 2024, 14:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  22   
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Cox '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Re: Olin (WUSTL) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Submitted for R3. Waiting game begins.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Got an interview invite today. There's still hope guys. :)

(I withdrew my application in light of a better offer)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE:Sales (Consulting)
Send PM
linzhouu wrote:
Got i/v invite.. Indian, r2 applicant..
After 4 dinges this was a surprise !
had to check my mail for the date i submitted application.. its was way back on 15th nov..
Interesting to see that the invite came out just hours before R3 deadline..

So here is the ques i have been waiting to post : Any tips for olin interview ???

Best of luck people ..

Got an i/v call too...woot!!
Indian R2 applicant
just to repeat linzhouu's question.... any tips for the interview..
I know my interviewer is a 2014 batch student.. wonder what they ask!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Submitted for R3. await begins
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all, I am a first time poster, but I wanted to give everybody an update -- acceptance calls are coming!!!!! I received a call this afternoon from the Dean with the good news. In terms of financial aid, I have not heard anything on that front and I did not want to broach that topic in the middle of a pleasant admissions call.

Applicant Profile:
Work Experience: about 6 years (much of which is blue collar and some of which is in political campaign management)
Education: NAU (Political Science) and Georgetown Law (law school)
GMAT: 720 (Q47 V42)
Hometown: Phoenix and All Over
Career Goal: External Consulting
Other Exciting tidbits: former student athlete, leader of a bunch of clubs, jolly volunteer type, and lover of all caffeinated substances

Good luck to all. For all those still applying and looking forward to interviews my advice would be very simple -- just be yourself. I've had a few interviews with schools where there wasn't a great connection, but I got the impression right away that the Olin staff was looking for reasons to accept a student rather than reasons to not. For example, I am pretty modest despite having accomplished a lot over years (probably too much so), but when I was telling stories and answering questions my interviewer said at numerous times, "so you'd say that you were a leader in that effort, weren't you" or similar statements. It just seems like they have a good bunch of people there who want you to succeed in the interview. So, don't worry, be respectful, and just enjoy a pleasant interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
The most important question that they will ask you, by a mile, is why are you applying and why you want an MBA? Do not, by any means, try to dodge this question. For me, I faced the precursor question specific to my background -- why did I go to law school, first? As an aside, this shows you that the questioning is somewhat spontaneous such that, I would prepare and practice, but beware of being scripted because the discussion will likely move off script.

Back to that question, it was particularly challenging for me because, frankly, law school was a mistake in many regards or at least not the best choice I ever made. But, we never want to present a weak face in an interview. So, I explained the rationale leading up to that decision and placed myself back in time to where I was when I was making that decision -- 24 years old, a fancy school, coming from a lowly ranked school with a liberal arts degree, and with a pretty good scholarship. Thus, in that light and at that time, it made sense. I was then asked what was important to me when I was applying to law school -- I responded, "rank and money whereas today, in applying to business school, I am looking for a smaller and more intimate program with good job placement -- hence, my application, here." I also pointed to the fact that a legal background has some supplemental utility in my career choice of consulting. However, I explained, in a very matter of fact fashion, that my law school decision was a mistake, but that I learned a lot in the process and thankfully didn't rack up too much debt.

The other questions are related and common: (1) What is your goal after graduation (be specific in terms of where you want to end up and about what questions you have unanswered in the process); (2) what is your goal five years later; (3) give an example of a time you faced a challenge; (4) give an example of a time you took on a leadership role... and there was plenty more, but that is all that I remember... oh, I think they ask about hobbies as well (mine are running, writing poetry, and arguing about things over coffee... kind of lame, but turns out there is a Coffee and Conflict group on campus... they are really nice people).

You can't do bad on the interview. Just be as honest as possible and try to avoid being too polished. Also, don't worry about awkward pauses in the conversation either... this happened early in the interview until I got on a roll and I just said... "my mind hit a blank, can you say more about the question you just asked." Again, regular conversation -- don't worry about being perfect.., don't worry at all. Have fun.

devotee wrote:
linzhouu wrote:
Got i/v invite.. Indian, r2 applicant..
After 4 dinges this was a surprise !
had to check my mail for the date i submitted application.. its was way back on 15th nov..
Interesting to see that the invite came out just hours before R3 deadline..

So here is the ques i have been waiting to post : Any tips for olin interview ???

Best of luck people ..

Got an i/v call too...woot!!
Indian R2 applicant
just to repeat linzhouu's question.... any tips for the interview..
I know my interviewer is a 2014 batch student.. wonder what they ask!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Just had my interview..
quick ques : how do you define that you screwed up an interview for a B school.. ?

Had very basic question .. walk me through ur resume .. why mba ... why olin .. why now .. some explanations in between about the points i had written in resume...

got stuck in finding the right words at a few places.. gave ample examples what we I did.. ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.55
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Still no reply from Olin, guess I'm out of this game
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bro, sounds like it went solid. Remember that the admissions committee works off the notes that are taken from the interview so if you provided tangible explanations of what you've done in your work history then excellent. Sometimes all the words are there and sometimes they aren't -- they realize that this is a high pressure situation.

That said, I can sympathize. I had one interview... prior to my one with Olin... that just went horrendously. First, it was a Skype interview because I was in the middle of finals. Second, Skype stopped working and I had to do it as a full phone interview. Third, the lady was just mean and was looking for reasons to ding me (again, this wasn't Olin). Anyhow, I walked away from that interview realizing it was for the best -- I withdrew my application from that school within a few hours. So, the answer to the question of whether you can fail an interview -- it isn't possible. One of two things happens, instead: (1) you just get a case of the nerves and know you need to practice interviewing a bit more; or (2) you figure out a place isn't a good fit.

In your instance, it sounds like the first which, frankly, is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

linzhouu wrote:
Just had my interview..
quick ques : how do you define that you screwed up an interview for a B school.. ?

Had very basic question .. walk me through ur resume .. why mba ... why olin .. why now .. some explanations in between about the points i had written in resume...

got stuck in finding the right words at a few places.. gave ample examples what we I did.. ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Woooooo!!! People... I just retook the GMAT today -- I wanted to try with a better prep that the holiday afforded -- 770. Wooooo!!! Seriously having such an awesome week.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Billbo wrote:
Woooooo!!! People... I just retook the GMAT today -- I wanted to try with a better prep that the holiday afforded -- 770. Wooooo!!! Seriously having such an awesome week.

Congratulations! :-D
That's a phenomenal score and should definitely open up a lot of doors for you.
All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Billbo wrote:
Bro, sounds like it went solid. Remember that the admissions committee works off the notes that are taken from the interview so if you provided tangible explanations of what you've done in your work history then excellent. Sometimes all the words are there and sometimes they aren't -- they realize that this is a high pressure situation.

That said, I can sympathize. I had one interview... prior to my one with Olin... that just went horrendously. First, it was a Skype interview because I was in the middle of finals. Second, Skype stopped working and I had to do it as a full phone interview. Third, the lady was just mean and was looking for reasons to ding me (again, this wasn't Olin). Anyhow, I walked away from that interview realizing it was for the best -- I withdrew my application from that school within a few hours. So, the answer to the question of whether you can fail an interview -- it isn't possible. One of two things happens, instead: (1) you just get a case of the nerves and know you need to practice interviewing a bit more; or (2) you figure out a place isn't a good fit.

In your instance, it sounds like the first which, frankly, is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

linzhouu wrote:
Just had my interview..

That was comforting :-D :-D ... thanks a ton baggins :wink: :wink: ..

and 770 ! whoaaa.. thats freakin awesome .. congrats !! send an update to universities man .. will definitely improve your chances.. !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Word!!!

linzhouu wrote:
Billbo wrote:

linzhouu wrote:
Just had my interview..

That was comforting :-D :-D ... thanks a ton baggins :wink: :wink: ..

and 770 ! whoaaa.. thats freakin awesome .. congrats !! send an update to universities man .. will definitely improve your chances.. !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.55
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Received my interview invitation today, R2 applicant. I almost lost hope.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hey,

Just submitted the app. I loved the Entrepreneurship track at Olin. Hope to get an interview invite.

Thanks,
Prodizy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
abc123

Originally posted by Billbo on 11 Jan 2014, 11:10.
Last edited by Billbo on 14 Jan 2014, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Can any R2 applicant who has completed with his interview with a current Olin student share his experience?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6946 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts