Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 580 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4703 [5]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [3]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
Re: Rheumatic fever is the most serious complication of [#permalink]
to which study guide does this question belong...i found it very tough and havent still understood the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
One more vote for D.
It correctly points out the cause-effect mentioned in the Q stem

Krishna
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I choose E, I dont understand why so many people choose D, I rejected it readily, is there something i am not getting?

A) Only certain strains of streptococcal bacteria are associated with rheumatic fever. (Does not support it very much)

B) The antibodies that the body produces to control a streptococcal infection can attack cells of the mucous membranes (but if heart and kidney are mucous membrane is out of scope of passage)

C) Antibiotics have not proved as effective against streptococcal infections as they have against some other bacterial infections. (out of scope)

D) Streptococcal bacteria are the only bacteria that are structurally similar to the cells of the body attacked in the rheumatic fever. (so the bacteria's structure is similar to structure of the cells that are getting attacked? that follows the assumption that a bacteria can attack a certain part of body if it has same structure as the cells of the part it attacks, this is not in the scope of the statement)

E) Rheumatic fever can be misdiagnosed if it is not preceded by a serious streptococcal infection. (if the person does not get the streptoco..infection rheumatic fever is misdiagnosed..which lends support to the argument)[/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Hi Ranga,

I see a sense in what you say. But again, the stem says "Rheumatic fever occurs only when, in defending against streptococcal infection" which suggests that there is no chance of one actually having Rheumatic fever unless one is suffering from streptococcal infection.
Doesn't this outline the assumption as such?

But yes, (after looking at ur explanation) I have started doubting the validity of choice D.

I guess the OA/OE is required here.

Krishna
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Let me give it a shot, ranga41. Hopefully, I'm not wrong and you're not going to blow me up like you do at math :)

Okay, so Rheumatic Fever (RF) is caused by the body attacking itself.

The conclusion, given in the question, is that ONLY strep. bacteria can cause RF.

We have to find the choice that explains why this is. In other words, how does only strep, and not some other infection, cause RF?

Only D explains why the body attacks itself and causes RF.

E supports the evidence that strep needs to be present before RF can happen but doesn't explain why strep causes RF.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I guess D is it.. applying the KISS rule.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
popew626 wrote:
Let me give it a shot, ranga41. Hopefully, I'm not wrong and you're not going to blow me up like you do at math :)

Okay, so Rheumatic Fever (RF) is caused by the body attacking itself.

The conclusion, given in the question, is that ONLY strep. bacteria can cause RF.

We have to find the choice that explains why this is. In other words, how does only strep, and not some other infection, cause RF?

Only D explains why the body attacks itself and causes RF.

E supports the evidence that strep needs to be present before RF can happen but doesn't explain why strep causes RF.

No blowing up man...

Can you please eloborate on how D explains why the body attacks itself and causes RF, I am surely missing something.

I choose E for the same reason u have given, if strep needs to be present before RF can happen, then it probably causes it....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
The way I see it is that since RF is caused by the body attacking itself D tells you why it does.

The body develops antibodies to attack the strep bacteria. Then, the antibodies attack some of the body's cells because these cells resemble the structure of the strep bacteria. Since the cells and the bacteria are so close in identity the body can't tell the difference so it attacks its own cells thinking that the cells are the bacteria.

D tells us that ONLY strep bacteria is similar to the cells of the body that are attacked in RF.

aquaguy, what's the OA anyway?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
popew626 wrote:
The way I see it is that since RF is caused by the body attacking itself D tells you why it does.

The body develops antibodies to attack the strep bacteria. Then, the antibodies attack some of the body's cells because these cells resemble the structure of the strep bacteria. Since the cells and the bacteria are so close in identity the body can't tell the difference so it attacks its own cells thinking that the cells are the bacteria.

D tells us that ONLY strep bacteria is similar to the cells of the body that are attacked in RF.

aquaguy, what's the OA anyway?

Makes sense but one shuld be a medicine major to answer this question...there is a big jump of concept here "the antibody generated by the body to attack the strep bacteria mistakes the human body cells for the bacteria and attacks it.......", the statement does not provide any cluse as to how antibodies recognises their enemies....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Ah!! D for me too. But, then again, D happens to be the most logical choice. Here is why. The question stem states that "Rheumatic fever occurs only when, in defending against streptococcal infection", and that the body attacks cells of heart and kidney. D clearly explains that the bacteria is structurally similar to the body cells attacked by the immune system. D implies that the body mistook healthy cells to be Streptococcal bacteria, thus attackign healthy cells.

Ranga, E does not state the reason why the body attacks healthy cells.

Thus D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 580 [0]
Send PM
crazyfin wrote:
to which study guide does this question belong...i found it very tough and havent still understood the answer

Yeah me too. I found this question very difficult to comprehend. Had to read the passage a couple of times. It belongs to an ETS paper. So its a legit GMAT question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 703 [0]
Send PM
hey popew626, hopefully is almost always wrong remember!! :wink:
Im sure you meant IT IS HOPED THAT!!! :lol:
OH GMAT ENGLISH!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
D seems to be the best ans, as it is clear from the argument that body cannot differentite between human hart and kidney cells and bacteria , so assumption can be made that the bacteria can have similar structure as that of human cell.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [1]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2393 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
We need to strengthen the fact that SB will cause RF. Well if SB are the only baceteria structurally similar to the cells attachked in RF then this will clearly strengthen the fact that they are the ones causing it. Pretty clear to me D

Just my 2c

Cheers
J
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
streptococcal bacteria lead to streptococcal infection which give rise to rheumatic fever.........
ANTIBODIES ATTACK THE bacteria and similarly structured body cells........

hence "d"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
RF occurs during defense of the bodies heart and kidneys against antibodies produced in response to SI

Rheumatic fever is the most serious complication of streptococcal infection, but rheumatic fever is not itself an infection. Rheumatic fever occurs only when, in defending against streptococcal infection, the body's immunological system produces antibodies that also attack the cells of the heart and kidneys.

What would most explain why SI gives rise to RF?
(A) Only certain strains of streptococcal bacteria are associated with rheumatic fever.
I incorrectly chose A thinking that since ONLY certain strains are associated with RF then SI must be the cause. Thinking about this, perhaps this could insinuate similarly that there are other causes since ONLY certain strains are the cause.

So D is perhaps a clearer link.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts