Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Haas vs. Duke vs. Darden

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: Haas vs. Duke vs. Darden [#permalink]
Do you have a preference for location post-MBA?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
When I was looking at top schools with healthcare focus, there were 3 that stood out in the field: Fuqua, Wharton, and Haas. From my understanding, I believe Haas’ healthcare offer is a healthcare concentration, in which you take healthcare related classes to earn a certificate in the field. Fuqua has the healthcare courses along with a dedicated HSM director and team, which has a wealth of healthcare contacts. For example, HSM brings in a senior healthcare executive every Wednesday for a seminar, lecturing on the most current challenges they are dealing with (pharm, biotech, med devices, provider, etc.). But the biggest thing about Fuqua’s HSM program is the “something in the air” that is hard to describe. I often times compare healthcare in HSM to entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley. There is such a large network of passionate advocates and resources that it creates a support network that is difficult to replicate, and hard to describe.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again for the responses. I do have an interest in healthcare but do not want to be totally anchored to it. What makes this decision so difficult is that I love the NE, but have always wanted to live in the west coast as well :(.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any more votes guys? Really appreciate the help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
If I were you (which I'm not :)) the biggest question I'd be asking myself is "Am I ok with ending up on the west coast not only for 2 years of school, but also full time?" Living in California sounds really nice, but if your best job opportunities after school are all on the west coast (solid chance of this happening if you go to Haas), are you going to be happy staying there and being away from the northeast (which you say you love) and possibly your friends and family? There's no right answer; some people would have no issue with it, while others just wouldn't be as comfortable making a new home on the other side of the country.

If you're all in for California, then go for Haas. If you want the east coast, then start deciding between Fuqua and Darden. The three schools are roughly equal in terms of prestige/rankings, that's why I think the location thing is so big for you.

Just something to chew on. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I've spoke to several people and the impression I got was that recruiting in the NE for Haas was not great, but definitely not prohibitive. Do any Hassies have a perspective?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Haas used to publish employment by location, they've since stopped. I dug up some old publications. Haas' placement is very concentrated in California. Northeast is at 4.4% for class of 2011, and 5.0% for class of 2010.

https://haas.berkeley.edu/groups/careerc ... .html#NINE

https://haas.berkeley.edu/groups/careerc ... .html#NINE
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the employment reports. I'm VERY curious why Haas's employment reports are so thin in content. Almost every other business school has more comprehensive metrics on # of hires per firm. Has anyone sought out this information from the Haas career services? Would it hurt to ask?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm down to Duke vs. Haas.

Can anyone provide an assessment of the pros and cons of each school? It'd be great to get other people's perspectives about schools (students, recruiting, location, etc.)

I'm struggling because Duke has a fantastic healthcare program, but I can also get an MPH and a second internship in Healthcare at Haas for no extra cost. Brutal choices.

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Psyched wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm down to Duke vs. Haas.

Can anyone provide an assessment of the pros and cons of each school? It'd be great to get other people's perspectives about schools (students, recruiting, location, etc.)

I'm struggling because Duke has a fantastic healthcare program, but I can also get an MPH and a second internship in Healthcare at Haas for no extra cost. Brutal choices.

Thanks!

Some points that might help you -

1.) Yes you can, but you would also need to spend a few extra months in school. Higher opportunity costs. Also, you aren't very sure whether you want to be in the healthcare industry. MPH will more or less anchor you where as Duke's HSM would not. I talked to quite a few HSM folks who were headed to different industries or considering various options, but didn't see MPH folks crossing over. (might be the sample size, but I think not)
2.) Also, Haas' network is really concentrated on the west coast. As someone pointed out, if you do want to come back to the NE, I feel Duke is a better option.
3.) If you were interested in medical devices/biotech, I would have said Haas still makes sense, just because bay area has quite a few of those firms. But, if you aren't fixated on something, Duke would have better opportunities in the healthcare space.
4.) I visited and liked both schools, but felt that they have slightly different cultures. (Haas - smaller, older etc. Duke - more social, breathe Team Fuqua etc.). Also, Haas' incoming class has better stats (some people believe that that may account for a 'more accomplished' student body; I don't)
5.) Breaking into consulting from each is going to be more or less equally easy/difficult.
6.) Did you visit the schools? attended the admit weekends?
7.) I'm not sure if this is a factor for you, but Duke has slightly better global opportunities with GATE, FCCP, exchange programs etc.

Good luck with your choice.

P.S - I was deciding between the same schools (WLd at Haas) and I'm leaning to stay in the healthcare industry. I finally withdrew from Haas a few days back.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the thoughts - I think they're very comprehensive. I've been agonizing over this decision, and with only a few days to go this is just brutal!

My refined goal is to do healthcare in the east coast post-MBA (Boston to be specific), since most of my family is in the area (consulting was a means to an end). I am also open to healthcare technology and/or marketing. Shockingly, MBA location does not play much of a role in my decision-making process - I like the Berkeley area but was really surprised by how fond I was of Durham and the RTP area as well. I have attended both schools' sell weekends and connected better with the Haas students. However, both schools obviously have extremely intelligent, friendly, and ambitious students.

I took a long time to compile a list of pros and cons and I'm still deadlocked...

Haas
Pros
1. Really friendly student community - students were proactive in reaching out and connecting with me during DAH.
2. I have had an "urge" to try out San Fran and California and it is a nice area (though I did mention that it's not a major deciding factor)
3. Arguably stronger global brand due to the Berkeley name, especially in Asia.
4. Opportunities to work part-time in the second year with a local employer due to location.
5. Graduate teaching assistant position in second year that provides $10K.
6. From talking to students, Haas IBD has a significantly higher satisfaction rate than the Fuqua Global Consulting Practicum.
7. While the alumni network in Boston is small, alumni have been very proactive in reaching out to me.
8. Greater number of firms that I would work for within top employers
9. Accepted me the first time, whereas I was a reapplicant at Fuqua
10. Walking campus with most students living in the Berkeley area.
11. Students self-select; many turned down higher ranked schools for Haas.
12. Very accomplished and impressive student body (obviously my subjective assessment).

Cons
1. While tuition is $7K less, cost of living is expected to be $10K more.
2. Alumni network in Boston, per Linkedin, is small ~250.
3. Brand is heavily focused West Coast and NYC. I do not believe it carries a lot of weight in Boston.
4. Recruiting does not seem as structured or robust; many students are still lingering for internships.
5. "Riskier" MBA decision in my mind

To summarize, I think Haas would be a great opportunity to live in the West Coast and enjoy a different lifestyle, but I am hesitant because of post-MBA career prospects in the US region that I want. The two years near SF would be great, but I don't want to be stuck in CA long-term.

Fuqua
Pros
1. Durham was surprisingly nice and cost of living is very low.
2. Considerably larger alumni network in Boston, per Linkedin, ~600.
3. Brand is stronger in all areas of US except West Coast; carries more weight in Boston.
4. Recruiting is very diverse within US regions and industries (i.e. almost no Haas people go to east coast, but many Fuqua people go to west coast)
5. HSM program is top notch in healthcare space.
6. Global travel experiences seem to be more pervasive.
7. Due to the bad publicity, Fuqua is actively ramping up its recruiting and career office; almost 100% of students have internship offers already.
8. To be brutally honest, I see myself in the longer term living in RTP than San Fran purely for cost of living reasons
9. RTP is a fast-growing job hub
10. "Safer" MBA decision in my mind

Cons
1. I did not connect as well with students, but this may be purely sampling bias.
2. All things considered, cost of attendance may be ~$20K more.
3. Arguably weaker global brand
4. Driving campus with most students living at Station 9
5. Students come from more traditional backgrounds

To summarize, I think Fuqua would be a more of "tried and true" MBA path with a strong brand in the industry and region that I want to work at. However, I did not connect as well with the students and am afraid that my two MBA years will not be as great of an experience.

Does anyone have any thoughts? There's two days left before I have to make a decision, and at this point I may have to pay both deposits to buy more time. This is BRUTAL! Any more help would be great!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
I agree with most of the points up there (disagree with a couple, but that's subjective). Haas, surely, has fewer 'traditional' applicants and as you mentioned, might be a slightly riskier decision in terms of recruitment. The question is whether it is a risk worth taking? or rather, do the perks of living in SF offset that risk to some extent?

btw, if you haven't considered yet - Ask for a deadline extension to both Haas and Fuqua. You might be able to buy more time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Psyched wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts - I think they're very comprehensive. I've been agonizing over this decision, and with only a few days to go this is just brutal!

My refined goal is to do healthcare in the east coast post-MBA (Boston to be specific), since most of my family is in the area (consulting was a means to an end). I am also open to healthcare technology and/or marketing. Shockingly, MBA location does not play much of a role in my decision-making process - I like the Berkeley area but was really surprised by how fond I was of Durham and the RTP area as well. I have attended both schools' sell weekends and connected better with the Haas students. However, both schools obviously have extremely intelligent, friendly, and ambitious students.

I took a long time to compile a list of pros and cons and I'm still deadlocked...

Haas
Pros
1. Really friendly student community - students were proactive in reaching out and connecting with me during DAH.
2. I have had an "urge" to try out San Fran and California and it is a nice area (though I did mention that it's not a major deciding factor)
3. Arguably stronger global brand due to the Berkeley name, especially in Asia.
4. Opportunities to work part-time in the second year with a local employer due to location.
5. Graduate teaching assistant position in second year that provides $10K.
6. From talking to students, Haas IBD has a significantly higher satisfaction rate than the Fuqua Global Consulting Practicum.
7. While the alumni network in Boston is small, alumni have been very proactive in reaching out to me.
8. Greater number of firms that I would work for within top employers
9. Accepted me the first time, whereas I was a reapplicant at Fuqua
10. Walking campus with most students living in the Berkeley area.
11. Students self-select; many turned down higher ranked schools for Haas.
12. Very accomplished and impressive student body (obviously my subjective assessment).

Cons
1. While tuition is $7K less, cost of living is expected to be $10K more.
2. Alumni network in Boston, per Linkedin, is small ~250.
3. Brand is heavily focused West Coast and NYC. I do not believe it carries a lot of weight in Boston.
4. Recruiting does not seem as structured or robust; many students are still lingering for internships.
5. "Riskier" MBA decision in my mind

To summarize, I think Haas would be a great opportunity to live in the West Coast and enjoy a different lifestyle, but I am hesitant because of post-MBA career prospects in the US region that I want. The two years near SF would be great, but I don't want to be stuck in CA long-term.

Fuqua
Pros
1. Durham was surprisingly nice and cost of living is very low.
2. Considerably larger alumni network in Boston, per Linkedin, ~600.
3. Brand is stronger in all areas of US except West Coast; carries more weight in Boston.
4. Recruiting is very diverse within US regions and industries (i.e. almost no Haas people go to east coast, but many Fuqua people go to west coast)
5. HSM program is top notch in healthcare space.
6. Global travel experiences seem to be more pervasive.
7. Due to the bad publicity, Fuqua is actively ramping up its recruiting and career office; almost 100% of students have internship offers already.
8. To be brutally honest, I see myself in the longer term living in RTP than San Fran purely for cost of living reasons
9. RTP is a fast-growing job hub
10. "Safer" MBA decision in my mind

Cons
1. I did not connect as well with students, but this may be purely sampling bias.
2. All things considered, cost of attendance may be ~$20K more.
3. Arguably weaker global brand
4. Driving campus with most students living at Station 9
5. Students come from more traditional backgrounds

To summarize, I think Fuqua would be a more of "tried and true" MBA path with a strong brand in the industry and region that I want to work at. However, I did not connect as well with the students and am afraid that my two MBA years will not be as great of an experience.

Does anyone have any thoughts? There's two days left before I have to make a decision, and at this point I may have to pay both deposits to buy more time. This is BRUTAL! Any more help would be great!

As a big proponent of fit, I would say Haas hands down.

It is the better program and you clearly like the fit better. I think you will be able to achieve your goals from either school, but Haas will enable you to connect better with people in my opinion, due to comfort level and indeed your "fit" amongst your fellow students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for the help! I ended up choosing Haas, thanks to everyone's help.

My co-worker also provided really ridiculously insightful thoughts that made the process much easier. Thanks again everyone!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Psyched wrote:
Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for the help! I ended up choosing Haas, thanks to everyone's help.

My co-worker also provided really ridiculously insightful thoughts that made the process much easier. Thanks again everyone!

Congrats on the decision!! Any pro/con that factored heavily into your decision making? Also, would be great if you cold share what part of those insightful thoughts made you set on Haas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Psyched wrote:

Iam bumping this 6 years later as I face the same decision. Would love to hear your experience now that you graduated and are four years out.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
FWIW, I'm not involved with any of the three schools ... and ... my analysis would be similar to asimov at the top of the thread.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts