Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Businessx   Long Passagex               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1128 [92]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28582 [26]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28582 [11]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Most pre-1990 literature on businesses' use of information technology [#permalink]
1. The passage is primarily concerned with
C.providing an explanation for unexpected findings

2. The passage suggests that proponents of resource-based theory would be likely to explain IT's inability to produce direct competitive advantages for individual firms by pointing out that
A.IT is not a resource that is difficult to obtain

3. The author of the passage discusses productivity in the retail industry in the first paragraph primarily in order to
B.provide an illustration of the "productivity paradox"

4. According to the passage, most pre-1990 literature on businesses' use of IT included which of the following?
E.A belief in the likelihood of increased competitive advantage for firms using IT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Most pre-1990 literature on businesses' use of information technology [#permalink]
Hi,

I have a question in regards to the first question. How does this passage consist of unexpected??? findings. I understand that something new way of thinking the IT's effectiveness was found but where in the passage does it say 'unexpected'??? Paradox just means contradictory but not 'unexpected'

Please explain.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
rohitmanglik wrote:
Why option B in Q2 is wrong.

The author clearly states that "economically valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicate"

HEY rohitmanglik,

option B says eacxtly opposite of what is stated.. please read bold red part.
And infer the green part. As in the question suggest means infer.

But some observers questioned why, if IT had conferred economic value, it did not produce direct competitive advantages for individual firms. Resource-based theory offers an answer, asserting that, in general, firms gain competitive advantages by accumulating resources that are economically valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicated. According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire, IT by itself appeared to have conferred little advantage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
good question , but no explanations of the answer choice in the comments given. Cant understand why 1C is correct since there are no unexpected finding , its a paradox that author is talking about but cant be convinced its unexpected. Also why 4A is incorrect ? . Please explain would really appreciate your help on this. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Megha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
megha_2709 wrote:
good question , but no explanations of the answer choice in the comments given. Cant understand why 1C is correct since there are no unexpected finding , its a paradox that author is talking about but cant be convinced its unexpected. Also why 4A is incorrect ? . Please explain would really appreciate your help on this. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Megha

Unexpected finding is demonstrated with the help of percentage 1.1% B/w 1973 and 1989 vs previous 2.4% in the preceding 25 years period
Resolving is just way too distorting, ultimately author hasn't described things in resolving tone

In 4A : literature never recommended any path like couple of measures with the IT usage will lead to desired numbers

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 8 mins , including 2 mins 50 seconds to read .
Was not sure about first answer and finally got it wrong :(

-The author talks about how IT was perceived in a certain light earlier
-He then introduces the views of some economists who believe that IT investments are not related to productivity
-The author then provides explanations for the “productivity paradox”
1. The passage is primarily concerned with …
The Key Takeaways clearly suggest that option (C ) is the right answer choice.

2. The passage suggests..
“According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire"
The above excerpt clearly suggests that IT had become commonplace and was easy to acquire thereby making it a resource that is not difficult to obtain. Hence option (A) is the right answer choice.

3. The author of the passage..
“But toward the end of the 1980’s, some economists spoke of a ―productivity paradox: despite huge IT investments, most notably in the service sectors, productivity stagnated. In the retail industry, for example, in which IT had been widely adopted during the 1980’s "
The author is using the retail industry example to illustrate the productivity paradox he talks about. Hence option (B) is the right answer choice.

4. According to the passage..
“Most pre-1990 literature on businesses’ use of information technology (IT)—defined as any form of computer based information system—focused on spectacular IT successes and reflected a general optimism concerning IT’s potential as a resource for creating competitive advantage"

Option (E) is a clear word justification of the above excerpt and is hence the right answer choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [7]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
1)Unexpected finding is demonstrated with the help of percentage 1.1% B/w 1973 and 1989 vs previous 2.4% in the preceding 25 years period.Resolving is just way too distorting, ultimately author hasn't described things in resolving tone. Moreover, this is passage is neither opinionated nor detailed, it is providing clear cut explanation. Hence C is correct.
2)option B says exactly opposite of what is stated."But some observers questioned why, if IT had conferred economic value, it did not produce direct competitive advantages for individual firms. Resource-based theory offers an answer, asserting that, in general, firms gain competitive advantages by accumulating resources that are economically valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicated. According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire, IT by itself appeared to have conferred little advantage". Hence A is correct and option B is wrong.
3)“But toward the end of the 1980’s, some economists spoke of a ―productivity paradox: despite huge IT investments, most notably in the service sectors, productivity stagnated. In the retail industry, for example, in which IT had been widely adopted during the 1980’s ". The author is using the retail industry example to illustrate the productivity paradox he talks about. Hence option (B) is the right answer choice.
4)“Most pre-1990 literature on businesses’ use of information technology (IT)—defined as any form of computer based information system—focused on spectacular IT successes and reflected a general optimism concerning IT’s potential as a resource for creating competitive advantage". Option (E) is a clear word justification of the above excerpt and is hence the right answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry , daagh ,

Could you please explain me the answer choice of the first question ?

I chose option A as the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry ,

Thanks for the your thoughtful words and helping me understand the procedure of asking "a well mannered question".

I would make sure that next time i would not give you a chance to "chide" me again . :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi, I still don't get why answer C is true in Question 1. Passage clearly defines old belief -> paradox -> proponent of old belief -> why paradox -> resource based theory explain. Answer E clearly shows that passage resolves disagreement. Answer C has words "unexpected findings". What ARE findings in this passage? and where passage shows unexpected? Please help to clarify. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
mikemcgarry,

I am unable to understand how option A is the answer for question no 2?

From this statement towards the end of passage: "The findings support the notion, founded in resource-based theory, that competitive advantages do not arise from easily replicated resources, no matter how impressive or economically valuable they may be, but from complex, intangible resources." I inferred that option C was the answer.

I see that few of them have quoted this from the passage: "According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire". How does this relate to resource based theory? Also, in the statement just before the one I stated talks about resource theory but I feel that also bends toward option c.

Please correct me.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
thanks mikemcgary for your clear explanation. I'm non-native speaker so that for me, "resolve a disagreement" sounds just logical and not very strong. Moreover, one reason for me to eliminate C is the plural findingS, because I only see 1 finding here which is paradox, not many findings.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Hello!
Can you help me understand the word "confer"? I've seen it twice in this article.

But some observers questioned why, if IT had conferred economic value, it did not produce direct competitive advantages for individual firms.

According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire, IT by itself appeared to have conferred little advantage.

It seems that "confer" means "possess" in the second sentence. I'm not sure what the first sentence means, neither.
It doesn't make sense to apply what I know and also what I find in a dictionary (confer means discuss or bestow) in those sentences.

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Explanation for Q.1:

C. providing an explanation for unexpected findings … the author does indeed introduce the paradox in the beginning of the passage and then presents viewpoints later on (of the proponents) in order to present reasons behind the OBSERVED paradox (the unexpected finding) … word by word justified
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Took 8 mins , including 2 mins 50 seconds to read .
Was not sure about first answer and finally got it wrong :(

-The author talks about how IT was perceived in a certain light earlier
-He then introduces the views of some economists who believe that IT investments are not related to productivity
-The author then provides explanations for the “productivity paradox”
1. The passage is primarily concerned with …
The Key Takeaways clearly suggest that option (C ) is the right answer choice.

2. The passage suggests..
“According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire"
The above excerpt clearly suggests that IT had become commonplace and was easy to acquire thereby making it a resource that is not difficult to obtain. Hence option (A) is the right answer choice.

3. The author of the passage..
“But toward the end of the 1980’s, some economists spoke of a ―productivity paradox: despite huge IT investments, most notably in the service sectors, productivity stagnated. In the retail industry, for example, in which IT had been widely adopted during the 1980’s "
The author is using the retail industry example to illustrate the productivity paradox he talks about. Hence option (B) is the right answer choice.

4. According to the passage..
“Most pre-1990 literature on businesses’ use of information technology (IT)—defined as any form of computer based information system—focused on spectacular IT successes and reflected a general optimism concerning IT’s potential as a resource for creating competitive advantage"

Option (E) is a clear word justification of the above excerpt and is hence the right answer choice.

For question 1. I am confused between B and C as the passage isnt doing either of them clearly. Please guide.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
mohammad Ali Khan , if you carefully read the passage you will be able to see that Author himself did not give any opinion, rather he just mentions what other theorists ,proponents have to say about IT.

Passage Map,

P1: Pre 1900's business literature heavily mentions ITs success and its potential in a corporation, Then Author cites some examples of Productivity Paradox and others opinion regarding it.

P2: Explains resource based theory.

In all Author is giving different Opinions of different Proponents

Option C exactly matches with the flow ,

1. The passage is primarily concerned with

(A) describing a resource and indicating various methods used to study it
(B) presenting a theory and offering an opposing point of view
(C) providing an explanation for unexpected findings
(D) demonstrating why a particular theory is unfounded
(E) resolving a disagreement regarding the uses of a technology
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Passage map
Topic: Discuss IT as source of competitive adv.
p1: To state the productivity contention of IT as source of competitive adv.
p2: Discuss explanations for contention - resource view/ other views
General tone (purpose): Explain (= neutral) but towards the end it seems as if the author states his opinion (a deduction from the findings)

Question 1- Main Idea/Purpose
A - Incorrect. IT is discussed, but methods used to study it aren't
B - No theory is presented. IT was generally accepted as a source of competitive advantage, but as time went on the perspective changed.
C - Correct. The unexpected finding is the productivity contention - productivity stagnated. This is introduced in P1 then reasons for its occurrence are discussed in P2
D - No. No theory is discussed and nothing of the sort leads the reader to believe something is unfounded. The productivity paradox is just unexpected.
E - No disagreement. No deal. Incorrect

Question 2- Inference
Answer found in P2: "Resource-based theory offers an answer, asserting that, in general, firms gain competitive advantages by accumulating resources that are economically valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicated"

So resource based theory says firms gain competitive advantage from scarcity but the next sentence mentions that IT had become "pervasive" meaning in abundance.

A - Correct. If everyone has it, it's not hard to obtain. Thus according to RBT it must be abundant.
B - Incorrect. RBT doesn't support this. RBT discusses scarcity as a source of competitive advantage.
C - Cant be supported.
D - Cant be supported
E - We know that productivity can be measured in aggregate, but this answer says it can't.... (productivity is a macroeconomic measure). Incorrect

Question 3- Inference
B - quite clearly to give an example of the paradox as the paradox is mentioned and then the retail industry is mentioned straight after.

Question 4- Detail
Answer contained in first sentence of P1
Overall the literature was generally positive and optimistic about IT as a source of competitive advantage.
E - Correctly captures this sentiment.
A - Incorrect. We don't know it would contain recommendations - too specific here..
B - IT was far too immature for literature to discuss advantages and disadvantages and we are told the sentiment is "positive"
C - No. Human resources is mentioned in P2 to discuss one domain that later proved successful (When other domains couldn't) - this came about much later than the literature.
D - No. The text was positive, nothing negative.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts