Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Businessx   Long Passagex               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1127 [91]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [26]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [11]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [7]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Most pre-1990 literature on businesses' use of information technology [#permalink]
Kudos
1)Unexpected finding is demonstrated with the help of percentage 1.1% B/w 1973 and 1989 vs previous 2.4% in the preceding 25 years period.Resolving is just way too distorting, ultimately author hasn't described things in resolving tone. Moreover, this is passage is neither opinionated nor detailed, it is providing clear cut explanation. Hence C is correct.
2)option B says exactly opposite of what is stated."But some observers questioned why, if IT had conferred economic value, it did not produce direct competitive advantages for individual firms. Resource-based theory offers an answer, asserting that, in general, firms gain competitive advantages by accumulating resources that are economically valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicated. According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire, IT by itself appeared to have conferred little advantage". Hence A is correct and option B is wrong.
3)“But toward the end of the 1980’s, some economists spoke of a ―productivity paradox: despite huge IT investments, most notably in the service sectors, productivity stagnated. In the retail industry, for example, in which IT had been widely adopted during the 1980’s ". The author is using the retail industry example to illustrate the productivity paradox he talks about. Hence option (B) is the right answer choice.
4)“Most pre-1990 literature on businesses’ use of information technology (IT)—defined as any form of computer based information system—focused on spectacular IT successes and reflected a general optimism concerning IT’s potential as a resource for creating competitive advantage". Option (E) is a clear word justification of the above excerpt and is hence the right answer choice.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Most pre-1990 literature on businesses' use of information technology [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 5

Saasingh wrote:
Any explanation for Q5 ? Didn't find any in above comments.

I was confused between D and E. Even though I chose right, but I ain't sure how to reject D as it seems pretty close too.

Let’s think about the author’s purpose throughout the first paragraph:

• First, the author introduces IT and describes the typical pro-IT approach in pre-1990 literature.
  • Then, he/she describes an alternative, less-optimistic view (anti-IT) on the impact of IT and gives an example.
  • Finally, the author describes the response of the pro-IT group to the anti-IT group.

With that in mind, the question asks that we identify an answer choice describing the content of the first paragraph. Here’s (D):

Quote:
(D) It demonstrates the effect IT has had on productivity.

The biggest problem with (D) is that the first paragraph does NOT demonstrate the effect of IT on productivity. Rather, it debates the effect of IT on productivity. For the paragraph to demonstrate IT’s effect on productivity, it would have to show what effect IT has. But the paragraph does not show the impact of IT. Instead, it introduces a debate on what impact IT has had. This is different than actually demonstrating or showing the impact. And the first paragraph does not show what impact IT ACTUALLY had. It merely discusses what effect IT MAY have had. Eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 8 mins , including 2 mins 50 seconds to read .
Was not sure about first answer and finally got it wrong :(

-The author talks about how IT was perceived in a certain light earlier
-He then introduces the views of some economists who believe that IT investments are not related to productivity
-The author then provides explanations for the “productivity paradox”
1. The passage is primarily concerned with …
The Key Takeaways clearly suggest that option (C ) is the right answer choice.

2. The passage suggests..
“According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire"
The above excerpt clearly suggests that IT had become commonplace and was easy to acquire thereby making it a resource that is not difficult to obtain. Hence option (A) is the right answer choice.

3. The author of the passage..
“But toward the end of the 1980’s, some economists spoke of a ―productivity paradox: despite huge IT investments, most notably in the service sectors, productivity stagnated. In the retail industry, for example, in which IT had been widely adopted during the 1980’s "
The author is using the retail industry example to illustrate the productivity paradox he talks about. Hence option (B) is the right answer choice.

4. According to the passage..
“Most pre-1990 literature on businesses’ use of information technology (IT)—defined as any form of computer based information system—focused on spectacular IT successes and reflected a general optimism concerning IT’s potential as a resource for creating competitive advantage"

Option (E) is a clear word justification of the above excerpt and is hence the right answer choice.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question #6

simran2505 wrote:
Could you please explain question 6 here?

Lots of discussion of question #6, but we'll add our two cents in case it's useful. :)

Quote:
6. The passage suggests that the recent study of retail firms discussed in the second paragraph supports which of the following conclusions regarding a firm's competitive advantage?

To answer this question, let's first go back to the passage to see what it says about the study:

"According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire, IT by itself appeared to have conferred little advantage. In fact, though little evidence of any direct effect was found, the frequent negative correlations between IT and performance suggested that IT had probably weakened some firms' competitive positions. However, firms' human resources, in and of themselves, did explain improved performance, and some firms gained IT-related advantages by merging IT with complementary resources, particularly human resources."

From this we know that:

1) IT by itself didn't result in a competitive advantage, and in fact may have worsened some firms' competitive positions
    2) Human resources by themselves DID explain improved performance
    3) By combining IT and human resources, some firms gained an advantage

So, which answer choice aligns with this information?

Quote:
A. Human resources alone are more likely to contribute to competitive advantage than is IT alone.

This one looks good! Human resources by themselves DID explain improved performance, while IT alone did not. From this, we can say that human resources alone were more likely to lead to competitive advantage than IT alone.

Keep (A), and let's look at the other options.

Quote:
B. Human resources combined with IT are more likely than human resources alone to have a negative effect on competitive advantage.

We know that some firms gained a competitive advantage by combining IT and HR. We also know that HR alone provided an advantage.

The passage says good things about both of these options, but doesn't provide a clear comparison between the two -- we don't know how often either option led to negative effects on competitive advantage.

Because of this, we can rule out (B).

Quote:
C. Human resources combined with IT often have a negative effect on competitive advantage.

Nope! We know that some firms gained a competitive advantage by combining IT and HR. The study doesn't suggest in any way that this combination led to a negative effect on competitive advantage.

Eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. IT by itself is much more likely to have a positive effect than a negative effect on competitive advantage.

The study actually suggests the opposite of (C) -- IT alone "conferred little advantage," and actually sometimes WORSENED a firm's competitive advantage.

(D) is out.

Quote:
E. The positive effect of IT on competitive advantage increases with time.

Hmm, the study doesn't mention any changes of competitive advantage with time. Instead, the study just says that IT can have a positive effect when combined with other complementary resources, such as HR.

(E) is out, and (A) is the answer to question #6.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Passage map
Topic: Discuss IT as source of competitive adv.
p1: To state the productivity contention of IT as source of competitive adv.
p2: Discuss explanations for contention - resource view/ other views
General tone (purpose): Explain (= neutral) but towards the end it seems as if the author states his opinion (a deduction from the findings)

Question 1- Main Idea/Purpose
A - Incorrect. IT is discussed, but methods used to study it aren't
B - No theory is presented. IT was generally accepted as a source of competitive advantage, but as time went on the perspective changed.
C - Correct. The unexpected finding is the productivity contention - productivity stagnated. This is introduced in P1 then reasons for its occurrence are discussed in P2
D - No. No theory is discussed and nothing of the sort leads the reader to believe something is unfounded. The productivity paradox is just unexpected.
E - No disagreement. No deal. Incorrect

Question 2- Inference
Answer found in P2: "Resource-based theory offers an answer, asserting that, in general, firms gain competitive advantages by accumulating resources that are economically valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicated"

So resource based theory says firms gain competitive advantage from scarcity but the next sentence mentions that IT had become "pervasive" meaning in abundance.

A - Correct. If everyone has it, it's not hard to obtain. Thus according to RBT it must be abundant.
B - Incorrect. RBT doesn't support this. RBT discusses scarcity as a source of competitive advantage.
C - Cant be supported.
D - Cant be supported
E - We know that productivity can be measured in aggregate, but this answer says it can't.... (productivity is a macroeconomic measure). Incorrect

Question 3- Inference
B - quite clearly to give an example of the paradox as the paradox is mentioned and then the retail industry is mentioned straight after.

Question 4- Detail
Answer contained in first sentence of P1
Overall the literature was generally positive and optimistic about IT as a source of competitive advantage.
E - Correctly captures this sentiment.
A - Incorrect. We don't know it would contain recommendations - too specific here..
B - IT was far too immature for literature to discuss advantages and disadvantages and we are told the sentiment is "positive"
C - No. Human resources is mentioned in P2 to discuss one domain that later proved successful (When other domains couldn't) - this came about much later than the literature.
D - No. The text was positive, nothing negative.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gauriii wrote:
bm2201 @SajjadAhmad- Dear Sir- I took 13 minutes to read this passage, which has 8 Q. I got only 1 wrong.
Is this time ok to read the RC passage since I am thinking that 2 mins per Q means I had 16 minutes with me but I managed to do it in 13 minute.
Let me know if thinking this is ok or should I reduce my time drastically to get a good score. Thanks in advance.

Hello Gauriii

RC is the most cruel section of the GMAT verbal I think and SC is the most kind. You can save time from SC questions and can invest that time in the RC section. CR is in between the both. So 13 minutes is excellent time for 8 questions. Even 15-16 minutes is fine for this RC passage with the medium difficulty level. Reducing your time drastically means you will not catch up 100% of the RC passage and the result could be havoc so don't go to gimmicks instead hold your natural pace.

Good Luck
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Hi GMATNinja AndrewN sir
I am trying to figure out the difference between retail firms mention in 1st para vs retail firms mention in 2nd para. Please check my understanding.

Para1 : The passage talks about overall in general about retail firms from preceding 25 years of 1980s till 1990.
1. During this period, retail firms had gained competitive advantages
2. Favored by some economists and Resource-based theorists
3. author shows positive side

Para2: The passage talks about study of individual recent retails firms ( another perspective) especially of those some firms whose competitive positions is weakened
1. individual retail firms appeared to have conferred little advantage and even negative effect as per relationship suggested between IT and performance.
2: negative by some observers
3. author shows negative side

In the end author just displays both views: +ve side in 1st para and 2nd para who were against with perspective in 1st view
The author concludes that competitive advantages come from complex, intangible resources not from rom easily replicated resources.

Questions:
Is my understanding correct?
Please check bold words ? Are they correct or I missed something?

I think you have it, imSKR. In the end, the passage (author) seems to favor an alternative explanation for the competitive advantages mentioned earlier, namely that human resources add a major component to the equation. The penultimate line tells us as much:

[F]irms' human resources, in and of themselves, did explain improved performance, and some firms gained IT-related advantages by merging IT with complementary resources, particularly human resources

It is this complex interaction between human resources and technology that the author stands behind.

Well done with your reading. Did you answer the questions correctly?

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
TrungTiger wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry

I am always interested in any your explanation. Regarding the question 01, I understood why choice C is the correct one from your analysis. Unfortunately, I was wrong for choice B.

For each wrong time, I always try to understand why it is wrong. After reviewing the choice B, however, I till confuse the reason for mistake. Whether choice B is wrong because:
- the author did not present a theory, but he did more than one theory?
- the author did not offer an opposing point of view, but he merely did an explanation for a paradox issue? Note: Initially, I understood that author offered a opposing point of view.

I hope you can help me comprehend why choice B is wrong.

1. The passage is primarily concerned with

(A) describing a resource and indicating various methods used to study it
(B) presenting a theory and offering an opposing point of view
(C) providing an explanation for unexpected findings
(D) demonstrating why a particular theory is unfounded
(E) resolving a disagreement regarding the uses of a technology

mikemcgarry wrote:
hoangphuc wrote:
Hi, I still don't get why answer C is true in Question 1. Passage clearly defines old belief -> paradox -> proponent of old belief -> why paradox -> resource based theory explain. Answer E clearly shows that passage resolves disagreement. Answer C has words "unexpected findings". What ARE findings in this passage? and where passage shows unexpected? Please help to clarify. Thanks

Dear hoangphuc,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, in this context, a "finding" is simply a fact, something that all of us find to be true in our experience. The big "unexpected finding" in this passage is in sentence #2, what is called the "productivity paradox." Before 1990, humans naively assumed that more IT would be better--more IT would bring more productivity across the board. Instead, with more IT, productivity went down. That was unexpected.

The passage presents this "unexpected finding," discusses the responses & explanation from proponent of IT in the rest of paragraph #1, and then a very different take on the paradox from "resource-based theory" in paragraph #2. In other words, the passage introduces this paradox, and then spends the rest of the time talking about possible explanations of this paradox.

Now let's compare (C) & (E).

The difference here is one of tone. The passage subtly implies that the second explanation, the one deriving from "resource-based theory," is better. It definitely provides an explanation, and we readers may walk away with some sense that this second explanation is plausible. It simply "provides an explanation," and some people may be convinced by that. Here's the explanation: you can believe it or not.

The language to "resolve a disagreement" is much much stronger. That language implies that even the people who initially disagreed were won over and persuaded to agree. Who would those who disagreed? Presumably, the proponents of IT, who presented their arguments in the second half of paragraph #1. We got no response from those people in this passage--we don't hear from them or about them again. We have no idea whether they agree with the explanation from resource-based theory." Maybe they have been persuaded, but we have no evidence of that. Thus, we have no evidence that a disagreement has be "resolved." Do you see how this is much stronger language than (C)? Yes, an explanation was provided, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every last person on the planet was persuaded, putting an end to the disagreement and resolving it.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Passage Understanding:
part1: Summary: Before 1990 IT as success but then some doubts. Proponents give some favorable points on IT.
(explanation: Most pre-1990 literature on businesses' consider IT as success.
Late 1980s : economists spoke “ productivity paradox.
Example: In the retail industry, Productivity growth to 1.1 from 2.4%.
Proponents argue:
need time and investment. After 19902 can see benefits.
who knows without IT they may not have even grew at 1.1%
Even claims: improved productivity indirectly for service sectors)

Part2: Now counter argument (another topic): What is meaning of competitive advantage in actual?
(Explanation: Why not bring competitive advantages?
Now discussion on what is meaning of competitive advantage: economically
⠀⠀⠀ valuable, relatively scarce, and not easily replicated. (Resource-based theory))

part3: Now connecting competitive advantage with IT: IT alone may not bring competitive advantages but with complex resources such as HR it can bring IT advantages.
(Explanation: IT is easy to acquire so not competitive .But weaken some firms positions. HR can improve performance and merge with IT, can gain some advantages. What is finding says: support Resource based theory .advantage s form complex intangible resources)

Overall Summary: Basically the value of IT and clarification with competitive advantage.

Quote:

Try solving the question by yourself now:
1. The passage is primarily concerned with

(A) describing a resource and indicating various methods used to study it
What could be resource ? IT , What methods did we study IT? - We studied but we didnt indicate various methods.
(B) presenting a theory and offering an opposing point of view
What theory? Resource based theory. What opposting point of view? No author favours this point of view.
Explanation: yes; What unexpected findings? : IT is competitive ? was it unexpected finidng? let us look back at para.
But some observers questioned why, if IT had conferred economic value, it did not produce direct competitive advantages for individual firms.
(D) demonstrating why a particular theory is unfounded
Why part is not mentioned , Just based on observations and studies.
there are no parties arguing . But author expresses his thoughts and trying to conclude the para

Was it helpful? Enjoyed solving the Q?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 2309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
6. The passage suggests that the recent study of retail firms discussed in the second paragraph supports which of the following conclusions regarding a firm's competitive advantage?

Quote:
A. Human resources alone are more likely to contribute to competitive advantage than is IT alone.

some firms gained IT-related advantages by merging IT with complementary resources, particularly human resources.

It doesn't mentioned Human resources alone are more likely to contribute

Quote:
D. IT by itself is much more likely to have a positive effect than a negative effect on competitive advantage.

why for 6th D is not an answer as in the paragraph it is mentioned that IT brings some competitive advantages and has more positive effect than negative.
Please suggest GMATNinja dcummins

Hi,

The correct line to refer is "According to a recent study of retail firms, which confirmed that IT has become pervasive and relatively easy to acquire, IT by itself appeared to have conferred little advantage. In fact, though little evidence of any direct effect was found, the frequent negative correlations between IT and performance suggested that IT had probably weakened some firms' competitive positions. However, firms' human resources, in and of themselves, did explain improved performance, and some firms gained IT-related advantages by merging IT with complementary resources, particularly human resources."

First bold - negates D
Second bold - supports A

Hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
simran2505 wrote:
Could you please explain question 6 here?

Hi simran2505, AbhishekDhanraJ72,

Let me know if this helps.

B. Human resources combined with IT are more likely than human resources alone to have a negative effect on competitive advantage.
C. Human resources combined with IT often have a negative effect on competitive advantage.
E. The positive effect of IT on competitive advantage increases with time.

Explanation: The study of the retail firms discussed in the 2nd paragraph revealed that IT was very much prevalent and easy to acquire, but it was of very little advantage to the firms when used alone. Infact , author even show evidence to prove the same, mentioned as: "In fact, though little evidence of any direct effect was found, the frequent negative correlations between IT and performance suggested that IT had probably weakened some firms' competitive positions.".
Some firms gained advantages by merging Human Resources with the IT, can be inferred from the lines: "However, firms' human resources, in and of themselves, did explain improved performance, and some firms gained IT-related advantages by merging IT with complementary resources, particularly human resources."
Other options can easily eliminated as the opposite of same is mentioned in the passage.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM