Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:37 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which options describe you

You may select up to 3 options
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits -Room! [#permalink]
Great news HBS. Congrats and good luck for Stanford.
hbs.aspirant wrote:
Thanks guys. My plan B is ready.
Now waiting for Stanford.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Congrats hbs- good luck for Stanford as well

hbs.aspirant wrote:
Thanks guys. My plan B is ready.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
hbs.aspirant wrote:

R2 candidate?
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V42
Send PM
yes todoornot, round 2, and very hopeful.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
diya, Have you taken the GMAT already?

I have seen a lot of folks in this forum start out with modest ambition(much like yourself), but later target higher ranked school as their B-school ideas evolve over a period of time. I suggest that you not worry about school selection at this time. Just focus on getting as high a score as you possibly can on the GMAT. If you do end with a 700+ score, I would encourage you to broaden your scope beyond Texas. Even if you want to stay in Texas, as sperinko suggested, you should look at UT-McCombs.

Give yourself some time. If you stick with us in this forum, I am sure you will be inspired to shoot for the stars, just like I was. Good luck!

diya wrote:
congrats NC..
Nice post indeed..
So what do you guys say for Female, India, IT???

Also, seeking a little specific advice for me I'm confining my universities to Texas and my preferred school is UTD (cohort MBA -16 months) This is considering both the finance and the location factors.It is in the list of top 50 and a pretty decent school.
NC, do you think it will help boost my career in the US? Please advice as I'm still a little doubtful about taking up full time MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
diya, Have you taken the GMAT already?

I have seen a lot of folks in this forum start out with modest ambition(much like yourself), but later target higher ranked school as their B-school ideas evolve over a period of time. I suggest that you not worry about school selection at this time. Just focus on getting as high a score as you possibly can on the GMAT. If you do end with a 700+ score, I would encourage you to broaden your scope beyond Texas. Even if you want to stay in Texas, as sperinko suggested, you should look at UT-McCombs.

Give yourself some time. If you stick with us in this forum, I am sure you will be inspired to shoot for the stars, just like I was. Good luck!

diya wrote:
congrats NC..
Nice post indeed..
So what do you guys say for Female, India, IT???

Also, seeking a little specific advice for me I'm confining my universities to Texas and my preferred school is UTD (cohort MBA -16 months) This is considering both the finance and the location factors.It is in the list of top 50 and a pretty decent school.
NC, do you think it will help boost my career in the US? Please advice as I'm still a little doubtful about taking up full time MBA.

Kind words NCprasad. We will for sure draw inspiration from you and rest of folks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot all..
To be frank, i have only 2 years of experience and i would like to continue working for a while more before i do an MBA. BUt the current H1B crisis has bogged me down and hence i'm thinking about joining school.and anytime i want to do MBA over MS.
Thats why finance is a major concern and also at present we cannot relocate from Dallas. Also, I see that its too late for Austin now. Their deadline was for Jan 2 and now i have only these 2 options for 2009.
If my visa comes through this year i'll surely join you guys and aim for an Ivy school.. Wouldn't it be just terrific to go to Harvard or Yale..

NC, MY second GMAT is scheduled for feb 19th. The first one last week was bad..620 (q47, v29)
i had prepared hard for 2 months but sadly didnt focus on endurance and my sleeplessness the previous night :( By the time i reached verbal everything looked so foggy..

Anyways,Hope to do better next time. And I see that its a great forum here.. I'm glad i started posting in.. Better late that never :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Congrats HBS! I'm sure you'll do well at Stanford and join terry12!
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Thanks Kry!

kryzak wrote:
Congrats HBS! I'm sure you'll do well at Stanford and join terry12!

That is some confidence you are putting in me , Kry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Good luck on your second GMAT.

Although I may not understand your situation completely, IMHO I think you are better of using the extra time this year to prepare a strong application for Fall-2009. Putting together a solid application is a fantastic process (check out nc prasad's as well as other MBA app stories for a daily dose of inspiration) and you will be surprised where you end up finally. Just my 2 cents.

diya wrote:
Thanks a lot all..
To be frank, i have only 2 years of experience and i would like to continue working for a while more before i do an MBA. BUt the current H1B crisis has bogged me down and hence i'm thinking about joining school.and anytime i want to do MBA over MS.
Thats why finance is a major concern and also at present we cannot relocate from Dallas. Also, I see that its too late for Austin now. Their deadline was for Jan 2 and now i have only these 2 options for 2009.
If my visa comes through this year i'll surely join you guys and aim for an Ivy school.. Wouldn't it be just terrific to go to Harvard or Yale..

NC, MY second GMAT is scheduled for feb 19th. The first one last week was bad..620 (q47, v29)
i had prepared hard for 2 months but sadly didnt focus on endurance and my sleeplessness the previous night :( By the time i reached verbal everything looked so foggy..

Anyways,Hope to do better next time. And I see that its a great forum here.. I'm glad i started posting in.. Better late that never :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone heard from any current Indian students about internship / placement scene ? There is widespread fear/rumor that international students even at top 10 schools are finding it really hard to land internships / jobs because of the economy / visa issues.
Current Student
Send PM
That's possible. The visa situation is a bummer, but I wonder how the economy is going to specifically impact Indians alone.

pandeyrav wrote:
Has anyone heard from any current Indian students about internship / placement scene ? There is widespread fear/rumor that international students even at top 10 schools are finding it really hard to land internships / jobs because of the economy / visa issues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
bad economy does not impact Indians alone, but because of the visa issue, internationals are at the bottom of recruiters list and that thinking reflects even in internships. When they have fewer spots for interns they will offer it to people who they know they can hire later. If i was a recruiter and i knew i will not be able to hire an international later, i would not waste a spot and give it someone else instead. I believe internships would certainly be a good indicator of the actual recruitment mood.

ncprasad wrote:
That's possible. The visa situation is a bummer, but I wonder how the economy is going to specifically impact Indians alone.

pandeyrav wrote:
Current Student
Send PM
My 2 paisa based on what I have heard. A bad economy means it is going to be difficult on career switchers. Most Indians are career switchers, and it is going to be that much more difficult for desi's. I know someone is going to come up with the "all b-school students are career switchers, not just desi's". But we have the added problem of visa as well. So...

pandeyrav wrote:
bad economy does not impact Indians alone, but because of the visa issue, internationals are at the bottom of recruiters list and that thinking reflects even in internships. When they have fewer spots for interns they will offer it to people who they know they can hire later. If i was a recruiter and i knew i will not be able to hire an international later, i would not waste a spot and give it someone else instead. I believe internships would certainly be a good indicator of the actual recruitment mood.

ncprasad wrote:

pandeyrav wrote:
Current Student
Send PM
dosa, I dont think being a career switcher will hurt hugely. Consulting and IB concentrate more on the younger folks with potential who can work the long hours than on experienced folks on the older side. What bothers me is that a career switcher can gather enough domain knowledge to be competitive during recruitment. The visa though is completely out of our hands. With just 60000 H1Bs for the whole fiscal year, we internationals are literally dependent on a lucky draw from a pool of the more than 100000 applications USCIS usually receives in 1 day. Last year, I applied for a H1 and my application was NOT selected in the lottery. After all the work you do, whether you get a H1 depends exclusively on a random number algorithm. Believe me, feeling helpless is not a good thing. :x
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Keep the UK as a backup option folks, virtually everyone graduating from a top US school can get no hassle work permits for the UK under the HSMP MBA provision.

ncprasad wrote:
dosa, I dont think being a career switcher will hurt hugely. Consulting and IB concentrate more on the younger folks with potential who can work the long hours than on experienced folks on the older side. What bothers me is that a career switcher can gather enough domain knowledge to be competitive during recruitment. The visa though is completely out of our hands. With just 60000 H1Bs for the whole fiscal year, we internationals are literally dependent on a lucky draw from a pool of the more than 100000 applications USCIS usually receives in 1 day. Last year, I applied for a H1 and my application was NOT selected in the lottery. After all the work you do, whether you get a H1 depends exclusively on a random number algorithm. Believe me, feeling helpless is not a good thing. :x
Current Student
Send PM
But you should have no problems right? You are getting your GC :)

On a different note: If we are on a H1 now, I heard we do not need to go through the quota when we graduate and that we will just finish up your 6 yrs. So, I would have finished up 4 yrs of my H1 when I matriculate this fall, so when I graduate in 2010, I would still have 2 more years of my H1 left and I just need a COS. I have heard conflicting reports about that. Anyone have any idea?

ncprasad wrote:
dosa, I dont think being a career switcher will hurt hugely. Consulting and IB concentrate more on the younger folks with potential who can work the long hours than on experienced folks on the older side. What bothers me that a career switcher can gather enough domain knowledge to be competitive during recruitment. The visa though is completely out of our hands. With just 60000 H1Bs for the whole fiscal year, we internationals are literally dependent on a lucky draw from a pool of the more than 100000 applications USCIS receive in 1 day. Last year, I applied for a H1 and my application was selected in the littery. After all the work you do, whether you get a H1 depends exclusively on a random number algorithm. Believe me, feeling helpless is not a good thing. :x
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11