Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 15:46 It is currently 05 May 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden, Haas, Smith, Wharton, Stanford and HBS
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Social responsibility (green business)
Schools:Kellogg (accepted), Chicago Booth (*ATTENDING* full tuition fellowship +20k stipend), HBS (ding), Stanford (WL), Michigan (Accepted w/full scholarship)
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I wish there were more conjecture and rumors going on right now about stanford admits for round 1. I'm jonesing for SOME kind of information--even that which is factually misleading. :)

Mostly I'm just bored.

Ho hum,
--jcl246
Current Student
Send PM
Hello,
I had my interview on Monday with the adcom. It was not blind. She informed me that she had took time to re-read my essays and recommendations just before she called me. She was very very very nice and cordial. I was nervous in the beginning but later on it turned out to be a great conversation and exchange of information. I was very impressed on the quality of questions. No Why MBA, long-term, short-term, directly Why Stanford questions... But she really digged deep into my social work and professional life. These questions were not designed to put me on the spot instead I think she asked these questions to put things into perspective and have a better understanding of what I do. Lots of questions though. She kept asking until she was satisfied with the answers. Then we switched to short answer questions like "who is your hero, if you had a magic wand what.... kind of questions." The fact that she was truly interested in things that had major impact on my life has really resonated with me. Truly, Stanford is an institution which values the person behind the application. They just do not admit people based on their accomplisments on paper and cater them to financial and consulting firms like a factory. I was just sold on Stanford by the nature of the questions she asked. Anyway I guess with stanford there is no formula to prepare for the interview other than to be yourself. but there was one thing though... She asked me where I applied besides stanford?? Why did she ask that??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
emirturmen,

I totally agree with the fact that Stanford looks at who the applicant is more than any other school. It looks like you had a great interview. She probably asked you about other schools to find out if you would accept the offer they will make you :)

At the end, even if I get dinged by Stanford, it will be the nicest ding. I am totally sold on the school !
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Stanford > HBS
Current Student
Send PM
agold wrote:
Stanford > HBS

Let me rephrase: Stanford > > > HBS when it comes to the process and how nice they are.

8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Just a few more hours and that Stanford under my name will turn red. From the email received upon submission...

Quote:
Interviews are offered by invitation only. Invitations for interviews will be sent up until the week prior to the decision date for the round in which you applied. We will invite you via email, and you and your alumni interviewer will schedule a mutually convenient date and time to meet. We hope to interview between 800 and 1,200 applicants this year, and offer admission to between 400 and 500 candidates. We expect to interview all candidates admitted to the MBA Program.

Decision date is January 22nd. Oh well. I'm not TOO bummed. Upon further reflection I'm probably a little old, and after doing my Kellogg essays for R2, I realize how much my R1 essays were lacking. Good luck to all who interviewed!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
falibay wrote:
agold wrote:
Stanford > HBS

Let me rephrase: Stanford > > > HBS when it comes to the process and how nice they are.

8-)

Stanford > HBS period :)
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah you guys are right. I talked to a friend who is already there for MBA. The first question she asked me was: If you are accepted you are coming to Stanford right? Apparently Stanford gives yield rate great importance. As you said they do not want to offer admissions for a person who would propably gain admissions to HBS. But isnt it common that majority of people apply both to Stanford and HBS??
SVP
SVP
Send PM
emirtumen wrote:
Yeah you guys are right. I talked to a friend who is already there for MBA. The first question she asked me was: If you are accepted you are coming to Stanford right? Apparently Stanford gives yield rate great importance. As you said they do not want to offer admissions for a person who would propably gain admissions to HBS. But isnt it common that majority of people apply both to Stanford and HBS??

Yes, but I think Stanford has a certain way of discerning who would be a better fit for their school, and HBS has a certain way of discerning who would be a better fit for theirs. The cultures could not be more different.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
agold wrote:
emirtumen wrote:

Yes, but I think Stanford has a certain way of discerning who would be a better fit for their school, and HBS has a certain way of discerning who would be a better fit for theirs. The cultures could not be more different.

Sounds similar to the Kellogg/Chicago dynamic...

So what school is the anti-Wharton?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I have to agree, Stanford >>> HBS. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
agold wrote:
emirtumen wrote:

Yes, and I am 100% sure that they are exchanging application data on a regular basis. There is no way to explain how a person is admitted to, say, Stanford and dinged without interview on HBS, or vice-versa. I feel that there is couple more cooperative handling of applications like Wharton/Chicago.

Of course, this is just my feeling based on observation and nothing more. I've raised this conspiracy theory regarding Oxford/Cambridge application process because I think that they are doing the same.

Anyway, I don't care - as long as any of the top school admit me. In the meantime they can do with my documents whatever they want and share them with whoever they want.

Edited:

And yes, I forgot to say: Stanford is not only >>> HBS, but also a planet for itself. It sounds litle funny when someone says "Stanford is my top choice." No way? It is? Are you sure? :twisted:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
"Yes, and I am 100% sure that they are exchanging application data on a regular basis."

I hope you're right, Pathfinder! It would increase my chances of getting into one! They do seem to be distinct pools--I managed to get an S interview, but no HBS interview, whereas my couple of friends who got an HBS interview haven't gotten one to S. I always wrote it off to "personality" differences between the two schools, but it would be very interesting if there was actual coordination going on!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
mbabiden08 wrote:
"Yes, and I am 100% sure that they are exchanging application data on a regular basis."

I hope you're right, Pathfinder! It would increase my chances of getting into one! They do seem to be distinct pools--I managed to get an S interview, but no HBS interview, whereas my couple of friends who got an HBS interview haven't gotten one to S. I always wrote it off to "personality" differences between the two schools, but it would be very interesting if there was actual coordination going on!

I got an H interview, but so far nothing from S. The thing is, based on my background and career goals, I felt I was a much better match for S. A college classmate and former colleague of mine went to Stanford two years ago. He an I had virtually IDENTICAL profiles. Same extracurriculars in college, same honors degree, same work experience at the same company post undergrad, and very similar post-MBA goals. He helped proofread my essays this year and even wrote my peer recommendation. Alas, no invite for me yet.

I guess it just goes to show you how dynamic the admissions process is from year to year.

Or maybe my essays just sucked... :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
agold wrote:
emirtumen wrote:

Yes, and I am 100% sure that they are exchanging application data on a regular basis. There is no way to explain how a person is admitted to, say, Stanford and dinged without interview on HBS, or vice-versa. I feel that there is couple more cooperative handling of applications like Wharton/Chicago.

Of course, this is just my feeling based on observation and nothing more. I've raised this conspiracy theory regarding Oxford/Cambridge application process because I think that they are doing the same.

Anyway, I don't care - as long as any of the top school admit me. In the meantime they can do with my documents whatever they want and share them with whoever they want.

Edited:

And yes, I forgot to say: Stanford is not only >>> HBS, but also a planet for itself. It sounds litle funny when someone says "Stanford is my top choice." No way? It is? Are you sure? :twisted:

Wouldn't exchanging application data be a clear violation of an applicant's privacy? My applications are identical in every meaningful way and only differ in essay wording and other minor details, but it still makes me extremely uncomfortable to think that schools might share data. Another applicant might decide to share highly sensitive/personal information with one school and not another. The schools should be obligated to keep such information private. While I don't remember for certain, it also seems as though the schools state that all information is kept private.

Also, it is a major stretch to think that an interview at only S or H and not both indicates sharing of data between the two. The chance of getting an interview at either school is extremely slim. So, the odds of getting an interview at both schools is far slimmer. It a matter not only of your qualifications, but also of probability.
Current Student
Send PM
It would be illigal for them to share the data, that's for sure. It is just fun to think that they do.

Regarding probabilities, it depends on the corrolation between getting an interview at S and getting one at H. If you assume these are independent events , sure the odds aren't great. If the correlation is high then the odds are better, though not great.

When I think about it, someone who gets admitted at Stanford or Harvard should get at least an interview at least anywhere else. But it does not always happen, just schools peculiarity and yield fudging - I guess.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
It would really suck if all the non-H/S schools you applied to thought you were amazing and rejected you because of yield control. Then H/S actually reject you because they don't think you are all that great.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts