GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

  post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Stanford School Moderator
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 133
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 22:42
Hey People,

I am applying for R2. Best of luck everyone. I am having a hard time with the essays. I am trying to finish them soon.

Wish all of you guys a very happy new year :).

I have one question, I read about the additional information section.

"If there is any other information that is critical for us to know and is not captured elsewhere (e.g., extenuating circumstances affecting academic or work performance), please feel free to include that information here. Please do not include additional essays."

I read the earlier posts but still I am not convinced whether to go ahead with it or not.

Can you guys please share if someone is going ahead with additional essay option and whats the reason for that ?

I have my own venture that I have not been able to discuss else where. I am planning to put it across in Additional essay section.

Cheers,
Ashish
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 28
Schools: Kellogg (accepted), Chicago Booth (*ATTENDING* full tuition fellowship +20k stipend), HBS (ding), Stanford (WL), Michigan (Accepted w/full scholarship)
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 23:22
My understanding was that the additional information section was more for explaining something like a weird grade, or time between jobs... I used mine to quickly explain why I chose one of my recommenders even though we worked together for a VERY short amount of time.

That's also where you'd put your P4D essay if you're applying for it. I wouldn't put in too much extra information, especially if its something that will be mentioned on your resume anyway. If it's really important, maybe try to fit it into one of your essays. That section shouldn't be a way to get around the word limit.

At the same time, it probably won't make or break your app either way. This is one of those things everyone has an opinion on, and we all stress over, but no one really knows what they're talking about--including me. This opinion has just been gleaned from what I've learned on these boards!

Best of luck!
JCL
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 160
Location: Europe
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2009, 17:32
Did you all go with Stanford's suggestions on word count per essay? And do you know how flexible are they with +5-10% over? HBS is apparently not flexible, but Stanford used to be 10+ pages, so 100-150 words shouldn't make big difference, right? :?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2008
Posts: 60
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 04:21
Has anyone received interview invites lately?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 61
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 16:00
ndiaconu, are you romanian by any chance?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 130
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 20:40
garbus222 wrote:
Did you all go with Stanford's suggestions on word count per essay? And do you know how flexible are they with +5-10% over? HBS is apparently not flexible, but Stanford used to be 10+ pages, so 100-150 words shouldn't make big difference, right? :?


Hey Garbus, on the website it says:

Quote:
Your answers for all of the essay questions cannot exceed 1,800 words. Each of you has your own story to tell, so please allocate the 1,800 words among all of the essays in the way that is most effective for you. We provide some guidelines below as a starting point, but you should feel comfortable to write as much or as little as you like on any essay question, as long as you do not exceed 1,800 words total.


So there you have it. I stuck pretty close to the guidelines for the individual essays, but it just kind of happened to work out that way.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2008
Posts: 60
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 01:45
sebycb976 wrote:
ndiaconu, are you romanian by any chance?

Yes i am , are u?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 160
Location: Europe
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 05:01
thanks. unless I figure out something over the weekend, I'm going to test Stanford's flexibility (+100 words ;-)

rjacobs wrote:
garbus222 wrote:
Did you all go with Stanford's suggestions on word count per essay? And do you know how flexible are they with +5-10% over? HBS is apparently not flexible, but Stanford used to be 10+ pages, so 100-150 words shouldn't make big difference, right? :?


Hey Garbus, on the website it says:

Quote:
Your answers for all of the essay questions cannot exceed 1,800 words. Each of you has your own story to tell, so please allocate the 1,800 words among all of the essays in the way that is most effective for you. We provide some guidelines below as a starting point, but you should feel comfortable to write as much or as little as you like on any essay question, as long as you do not exceed 1,800 words total.


So there you have it. I stuck pretty close to the guidelines for the individual essays, but it just kind of happened to work out that way.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 145
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 19:48
I just gave my hard earned $250 to Stanford. Let the waiting game begin.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2008
Posts: 126
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 08:34
Hey Guys,

I am applying for R2

1)Just want to know that did anyone follow a different word count for the essays, for instance 500 for the first one, 500 for second and 400 Each for the balance, making a total of 1800 ?

2) Is it Ok , If my recommonder misses the recommended date for submission of reco i.e. 6 Jan ? I know official date is 7 Jan. But still !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 315
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 13:13
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am applying for R2

1)Just want to know that did anyone follow a different word count for the essays, for instance 500 for the first one, 500 for second and 400 Each for the balance, making a total of 1800 ?

2) Is it Ok , If my recommonder misses the recommended date for submission of reco i.e. 6 Jan ? I know official date is 7 Jan. But still !


1) My essays ended up being about 1797-1800 words total and each one was roughly 450 words. Specific essay limits that Stanford provides are only suggestions. Both those who follow these suggestions and those who do not have been successful.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2008
Posts: 126
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 01:45
foodstamp wrote:
MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am applying for R2

1)Just want to know that did anyone follow a different word count for the essays, for instance 500 for the first one, 500 for second and 400 Each for the balance, making a total of 1800 ?

2) Is it Ok , If my recommonder misses the recommended date for submission of reco i.e. 6 Jan ? I know official date is 7 Jan. But still !


1) My essays ended up being about 1797-1800 words total and each one was roughly 450 words. Specific essay limits that Stanford provides are only suggestions. Both those who follow these suggestions and those who do not have been successful.

Good luck!


Thank you so much. All the best to you as well
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 10
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:28
Are all R1 decisions released on January 22nd or are some given out before? I figure some will know the answer to this question based on previous years. Thanks!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112
Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:32
antmendo wrote:
Are all R1 decisions released on January 22nd or are some given out before? I figure some will know the answer to this question based on previous years. Thanks!


In past years, admits were called by Derrick Bolton 24-48 hours prior to the notification date (1/22 this year). Everyone else I think finds out on the notification date. Basically, people are waiting anxiously by the phone all day the day before the notification date.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 188
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:36
just submitted for r2.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112
Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:40
1
For anyone interested in the dual MA in Education / MBA program at Stanford:

5 January 2009
The Power of Leveraging Various Perspectives

One unique aspect of the Stanford experience is how porous the walls are between the different schools here. We all are not only located within walking distance on the same campus, but we also work to increase the ease with which students at one school, such as the GSB, can leverage the academic experts and future colleagues at other schools. This is something that is valued at Stanford from the President's Office to the individual faculty, staff and students.

The value of multidisciplinary education is not new at Stanford. The Joint MA in Education/MBA has existed in some form since the early 1970s. Nearly forty years ago, Stanford had already realized that pairing organizational management with deep subject matter expertise was a powerful combination. You may hear of other schools that have launched similar programs in the last decade, but the Joint MA in Education/MBA at Stanford also has a tradition of supportive faculty and staff, as well as a community of hundreds of active alumni.

How does the Joint MA in Education/MBA program work? You either apply to the MBA Program during your initial application to the joint program or you apply during your first quarter at the GSB. You experience the program with about 20 other Joint MA/MBA students and begin taking classes at the School of Education as early as your second quarter. During your third quarter, you enroll in the Proseminar, which is a required course you take with the entire Joint MA/MBA cohort. Through this thoughtfully crafted course, you get to know your classmates, meet the faculty of the School of Education, and gain a broad view of the educational landscape. During your second year, you, your School of Education faculty advisor, and I work together to develop a comprehensive program of study that focuses on preK-12 education, higher education, or an individually designed concentration if you have interests outside preK-12 or higher education. Most Joint MA/MBA students complete the program in six or seven academic quarters.

Alumni tell us that the three most valuable components of the Joint MA/MBA program are learning to bridge communication and work styles across business and education, sharing a strong cohort and alumni presence in this niche area, and having the ability to complete the program in approximately two years.

There are many benefits to getting a joint degree, but let me focus specifically on what the School of Education has to offer. At the School of Ed, you'll be part of another great school at Stanford with small classes where master and doctoral students study together, bringing the future practitioners in contact with the future theorists to discuss the challenges and opportunities facing education. You'll find a high degree of faculty interaction as well as engagement with other School of Education students which leads to very rich discussions with a variety of viewpoints and backgrounds.

If this sounds interesting, please visit us here.

You can also learn more about other joint programs with the GSB here.

Even if you're not considering a joint degree program, we encourage you to take a few classes outside of the GSB and see issues through a different lens. The Stanford MBA provides you a world-class education in the midst of a world-class university with a long-standing commitment to multidisciplinary thinking.

Nereyda Salinas
Director of Leadership Degree Programs
Stanford School of Education

http://www.stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 130
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 14:40
1
Hi all,

Just had my Stanford interview today! It was at the GSB with an adcom member, who was super-nice but kept the pace moving. First question was a bit of a curveball - "Who is a public figure you admire/is a hero to you?" (I picked La Monte Young, who was a composer active in the '60s and '70s...but you can pick anyone you want :) ) - that segued into some talk about my undergraduate years (I studied music). Lots of questions were standard why MBA (although not too much why Stanford in particular). At one point she asked me what my ideal job was right after my MBA, which I was very ready for as I wrote an essay about that topic for another school.

Info I got from her: Stanford looks particularly for people who have made a major impact in their organization (not groundbreaking info, but it was the first thing she said on the topic). She also compared Stanford to HBS (where she had gone and later worked) and said that of all the top schools, the Stanford students interested in entrepreneurship were often the ones who came to their MBA program with an already pretty solid idea of what they wanted to do afterwards, whereas HBS was more of a factory catering to major financial firms. She mitigated that statement quite a bit, but that was the gist.

The other thing she mentioned is that no decisions will go out until almost the deadline date, and everyone is notified at once regardless of acceptance/denial/waitlist.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the way the interview went, but I'm still in touch with the reality of the situation and Stanford's competitiveness. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112
Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 15:00
rjacobs wrote:
Hi all,

Just had my Stanford interview today! It was at the GSB with an adcom member, who was super-nice but kept the pace moving. First question was a bit of a curveball - "Who is a public figure you admire/is a hero to you?" (I picked La Monte Young, who was a composer active in the '60s and '70s...but you can pick anyone you want :) ) - that segued into some talk about my undergraduate years (I studied music). Lots of questions were standard why MBA (although not too much why Stanford in particular). At one point she asked me what my ideal job was right after my MBA, which I was very ready for as I wrote an essay about that topic for another school.

Info I got from her: Stanford looks particularly for people who have made a major impact in their organization (not groundbreaking info, but it was the first thing she said on the topic). She also compared Stanford to HBS (where she had gone and later worked) and said that of all the top schools, the Stanford students interested in entrepreneurship were often the ones who came to their MBA program with an already pretty solid idea of what they wanted to do afterwards, whereas HBS was more of a factory catering to major financial firms. She mitigated that statement quite a bit, but that was the gist.

The other thing she mentioned is that no decisions will go out until almost the deadline date, and everyone is notified at once regardless of acceptance/denial/waitlist.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the way the interview went, but I'm still in touch with the reality of the situation and Stanford's competitiveness. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!


Great post! Sounds like it went well. I'm guessing you live in the area, which is why you had an adcom interview? Interesting that an HBS grad now works as a GSB adcom.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 57
Schools: MIT Sloan
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 18:36
rjacobs wrote:
Hi all,

Just had my Stanford interview today! It was at the GSB with an adcom member, who was super-nice but kept the pace moving. First question was a bit of a curveball - "Who is a public figure you admire/is a hero to you?" (I picked La Monte Young, who was a composer active in the '60s and '70s...but you can pick anyone you want :) ) - that segued into some talk about my undergraduate years (I studied music). Lots of questions were standard why MBA (although not too much why Stanford in particular). At one point she asked me what my ideal job was right after my MBA, which I was very ready for as I wrote an essay about that topic for another school.

Info I got from her: Stanford looks particularly for people who have made a major impact in their organization (not groundbreaking info, but it was the first thing she said on the topic). She also compared Stanford to HBS (where she had gone and later worked) and said that of all the top schools, the Stanford students interested in entrepreneurship were often the ones who came to their MBA program with an already pretty solid idea of what they wanted to do afterwards, whereas HBS was more of a factory catering to major financial firms. She mitigated that statement quite a bit, but that was the gist.

The other thing she mentioned is that no decisions will go out until almost the deadline date, and everyone is notified at once regardless of acceptance/denial/waitlist.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the way the interview went, but I'm still in touch with the reality of the situation and Stanford's competitiveness. Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!


Sounds like the interview went super! Thanks for sharing this. Rooting for ya so that we can live our Stanford dreams through you ;)

Today's the last day of winter break for GSB - I am keeping my fingers crossed that we see more invites this week.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 22:28
nj24 wrote:
rjacobs wrote:
Hi all,
Today's the last day of winter break for GSB - I am keeping my fingers crossed that we see more invites this week.


Two people on BW forums are reporting getting invites this evening... Definitely still activity!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2009, 22:28

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  31    Next  [ 613 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

  post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mvictor, erlandgas






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne