GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Jan 2020, 15:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

  Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Posts: 23
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:20
Come on guys, your responses are making it seem as if you would like to ignore the fact that other people still have a shot.

Best of luck to everyone!

Originally posted by mikenyc on 19 Dec 2008, 22:28.
Last edited by mikenyc on 22 Dec 2008, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 370
Location: New York, Paris
Schools: Wharton '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 22:41
1
mikenyc wrote:
Come on guys, your responses are making it seem as if you would like to ignore the fact that other people still have a shot. Just because you guys are lucky to be in the first 66% of the applications reviewed doesn't give you the opportunity to view every other invitation as a knock towards your goal.

Best of luck to everyone!


I don't think we compare the first 66% interviewed to the rest. just making a general comment about the chances of getting in after receiving an interview, which seems to be around 35%. Whether you got an interview first or last. nothing against those who will interview later. We are all in the same boat.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 519
Schools: Harvard '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 06:51
falibay wrote:
mikenyc wrote:
Come on guys, your responses are making it seem as if you would like to ignore the fact that other people still have a shot. Just because you guys are lucky to be in the first 66% of the applications reviewed doesn't give you the opportunity to view every other invitation as a knock towards your goal.

Best of luck to everyone!


I don't think we compare the first 66% interviewed to the rest. just making a general comment about the chances of getting in after receiving an interview, which seems to be around 35%. Whether you got an interview first or last. nothing against those who will interview later. We are all in the same boat.


I agree with falibay after reading previous posts. All interview invites ARE created equal, and honestly a 35% rate of success after interview doesn't offer much encouragement even to those who got interviews. I think that was his main point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 266
Location: Milan
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 07:03
The bad thing is no one who did not get an interview so far knows if his application is in the 70% that has been already reviewed (and dinged) or in the 30% that is allegedly not been reviewed yet.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 87
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 07:30
I dont know if others agree, but according to me, the policy of sending out all interviews invites on one day does a lot of justice to applicants' nerves. Uncertainty simply diverts attention and as much as I wish to rather be the last interview invite than a ding, I know for a fact that I will spend some miserable time waiting for the decision.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 370
Location: New York, Paris
Schools: Wharton '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 08:14
CompanyMan wrote:
I dont know if others agree, but according to me, the policy of sending out all interviews invites on one day does a lot of justice to applicants' nerves. Uncertainty simply diverts attention and as much as I wish to rather be the last interview invite than a ding, I know for a fact that I will spend some miserable time waiting for the decision.



I totally agree with that. The best method is to release interviews on one day and release admission decision on one day, without phone calls to admit prior!

Otherwise, it is nerve wracking.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 11:04
Yep! HBS does it best i think. Most interview invites on one day... decisions all at the same time, and then phone calls. After seeing how stressful this past week was for so many people, i'm dreading waiting to get a call from derrick bolton on decision week.

falibay wrote:
CompanyMan wrote:
I dont know if others agree, but according to me, the policy of sending out all interviews invites on one day does a lot of justice to applicants' nerves. Uncertainty simply diverts attention and as much as I wish to rather be the last interview invite than a ding, I know for a fact that I will spend some miserable time waiting for the decision.



I totally agree with that. The best method is to release interviews on one day and release admission decision on one day, without phone calls to admit prior!

Otherwise, it is nerve wracking.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5458
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 12:04
imagine if you had to wait for Stanford's decision the same way Kellogg does it (trust me, I was near the end of that call list, and I almost gave up hope!).
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 370
Location: New York, Paris
Schools: Wharton '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 12:17
kryzak wrote:
imagine if you had to wait for Stanford's decision the same way Kellogg does it (trust me, I was near the end of that call list, and I almost gave up hope!).



Let's not imagine that... I went through that for Chicago... I got a call around 4 PM. Good times... I don't want that again, but I will take it if that means an admit :roll:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2008
Posts: 71
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 13:19
1
Does Stanford make calls all at once or over a period of multiple days?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 519
Schools: Harvard '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 13:54
Mikus wrote:
Does Stanford make calls all at once or over a period of multiple days?

I think over the course of 24-48 hrs before the official release.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 188
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 14:09
for those working on essay a, this was written for essay a (though not explicitly mentioned) by a stanford gsb grad.

http://www.davidbelden.org/story.cfm

it was back in the day when essays could be twice as long as today, but maybe this will serve as inspiration.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 138
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 16:12
peaceyall wrote:
for those working on essay a, this was written for essay a (though not explicitly mentioned) by a stanford gsb grad.

http://www.davidbelden.org/story.cfm

it was back in the day when essays could be twice as long as today, but maybe this will serve as inspiration.


that is truly inspirational.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 332
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2008, 10:24
Bought my ticket to the lottery....R2....don't laugh 8-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Schools: Chicago (admitted), Harvard (interviewed), Ross (interviewed), Stern (Submitted), Wharton (R2), Stanford (R2)
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2008, 11:16
Hi guys, new to this forum.

I am applying to Stanford in R2.

Sorry if this is a stale question, but how do you think R2 will weigh this year in terms of competition in the wake of the financial crisis :?:

Peace
M
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 217
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2008, 11:50
coolmayank123 wrote:
Hi guys, new to this forum.

I am applying to Stanford in R2.

Sorry if this is a stale question, but how do you think R2 will weigh this year in terms of competition in the wake of the financial crisis :?:

Peace
M


Far more competitive than past years with many more applicants than usual. Have heard anywhere from a 15% to a 30%+ increase in applications. 20% seems most likely. Recent years have seen a 10% increase, so the change is notable. R2 will likely see the bulk of the increase, given that Wall Street didn't fully cave until right before R1 deadlines.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 145
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2008, 14:08
Alright, the deadline is fast approaching and I'm trying to finish up my application. I have 2 questions regarding the application that I think others may have as well:

1) How strict is the 1800 word limit? Did anyone get an interview invite going over the limit? By how much?
2) What's the best way to remind your recommender(s) about the approaching deadline amongst the holiday traffic?

TIA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2008, 18:19
Hello!

I will be out of the country for the next few weeks but am still hopeful that I may get a call for an interview from Stanford (R1).

How's the school contacting applicants? Via e-mail, phone or both?

Thank you.

sanjay
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 519
Schools: Harvard '11
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2008, 18:27
liubhs02 wrote:
Alright, the deadline is fast approaching and I'm trying to finish up my application. I have 2 questions regarding the application that I think others may have as well:

1) How strict is the 1800 word limit? Did anyone get an interview invite going over the limit? By how much?
2) What's the best way to remind your recommender(s) about the approaching deadline amongst the holiday traffic?

TIA


1. Mine was 5 words under the limit. So I'm not sure how strict the limit is. I would not recommend going over it.
2. Call them...no better way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Posts: 313
Schools: Attending Stanford
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2008, 06:35
egy wrote:
Thought i would pass on this post about Stanford's executive challenge. It's stuff like this that make me want to go to S... Video is included.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/mba/blog/ ... 008_1.html


I realize this is a bit of an old post, but I've been out of the country and didn't have a chance to respond. Egy, the executive challenge was incredibly cool; the blog post doesn't exaggerate at all. As the blog mentions, each leadership challenge/simulation is judged by a group of alumni that consists largely of C-level executives and partners/MDs at banks and MC, VC, and PE firms. Terrific learning experience and a great networking opportunity as well.

Something else to keep in mind about Stanford (and something that makes it unique in my mind): the multidisciplinary collaboration between the various schools of the university. I've been stunned by how much the sharing of knowledge is really encouraged, both in informal and formal (class/seminar) settings. Here's a nice webpage summarizing some of the collaborations:
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/about/how_we_integrate.html
The joint degrees (IPER and Public Policy) are quite popular, as are the Biodesign and D-school offerings. Great incubators for entrepreneurial opportunities.

Congrats to everyone who's already interviewed, and good luck to everyone waiting for invites!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2008, 06:35

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  31    Next  [ 613 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

  Update application status  

Moderator: erlandgas






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne