Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 14:44 It is currently 03 May 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [26]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Progress Diary; Quest for 800! [#permalink]
:)

800, I honestly wish you the best of luck. But it's not likely. You're looking at ai 51/50 or 51/51 split, and 50/51 Verbals are usually nailed by Lawyers/LSAT wizards. Not that it matters-- 700+ and you have a good shot at any top Ivy.

44Q--- This means you have a long, long way to go. Realistically you can get half the questions wrong to get a 44Q. A 51Q you're looking at a max of 3-4, depending on which ones are experimental. My #1 advice to you is to review your mistakes like an OCD-patient in denial. Learn from your mistakes. Live, eat, breathe the GMAT. Because God knows everybody else is-- including some very, very intelligent people.

Another tip I have for you is to save the Preps, and maximize the interval between rewrites, as if you put them too close you will see repeats, which will falsely inflate your score.

LSAT CR/RC is *EXCELLENT* for the GMAT-- except the Method of Reasoning CR's. But whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger-- so if you can master LSAT CR (say 1-3 wrong per CR) then you'll def get all GMAT CR correct.

Another thing, STAY AWAY FROM KAPLAN. That's all I need to say.

I'm not familiar with this startupaddict either, did he score high?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Hum....Targetting for 800 is infact a true way of aiming the highest score. Especially for students who are fresh from college, I can see even more of this enthusiasm.

bipolarbear, I really wish you achieve your goal. Recently I read one of the posts where a 19 old guy fresh from college got a 790.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am looking into Powerscore's Logical Reasoning Bible. My friend finished with his LSAT and wants to know if I'd like to borrow it, but I'm thinking that might be overkill.

Since I scored lower on the Quant, I figure I'll start with that first. Tentative Study Plan:
5/27 - Read Number Properties Book + Do Exercises
5/28 - Read Equations/VIC/whatever + Exercises
OG Number Properties Problems
5/29 - Party Hearty
5/30 - OG Equations/VIC
Read Fractions/Decimals/Percents

The MGMAT guides seem REALLY boring and basic. I'm about halfway through with the number properties and I can't imagine anyone paying $26 for 30 pages of basic material...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sort of deviating from my plan... Quant is way too boring but I think I can easily improve on them later.
Have been going through the Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible these past couple of days and working on answering Critical Reading threads...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
bipolarbear, I was basically in your shoes about quant this time last year -- math minor, lots of coursework in real and complex analysis, and because I had only seen a handful of actual numbers over my last two years of undergrad (1, 0, -1, e, pi, and i will get 'er done!), I had to do a lot of refresher on basic formulas. You ought to do fine.

I'll second the warning to stay away from Kaplan, though, especially on verbal. Their GMAT 800 book's sentence correction section is the worst. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi but frequently got half the Kaplan questions wrong. I got all the OG questions correct. My feeling is that Kaplan goes too far to create "tough" questions by writing questions where there is actually more than one right answer and the rule they're trying to illustrate is subjective.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions... looks like everyone here has qualms about Kaplan. I've been using MGMAT's guides to supplement my Powerscore LSAT Bible. Seems to be working pretty well. Congrats on your awesome GMAT score by the way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Good Luck Bipolarbear.

I have just started my test prep and would like to know if the MGMAT CR book is worth it.I am starting with verbal and I need all the help I can with CR/SC and RC.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72999 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kiski wrote:
Good Luck Bipolarbear.

I have just started my test prep and would like to know if the MGMAT CR book is worth it.I am starting with verbal and I need all the help I can with CR/SC and RC.

The quick and simple answer is Manhattan CR and PowerScore CR are about equally good and are the best two books out there.
Manhattan CR uses questions from OG for practice, which is a bit weird (they give you question numbers) but at the same time each MGMAT book comes with access to 6 online tests.

PowerScore has its own CR questions, but there are not too many.

if you don't have any MGMAT books - get the Manhattan GMAT CR book

Also, see this thread for details: Verbal Books Overview
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just to update... i've gotten incredibly lazy over the past week and a half and have not opened my GMAT books. Not good at all! I attribute it to being away for a week for apartment hunting in another state. I had brought my Manhattan SC book with me, but didn't manage to take a look.

Back to cramming :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I went traveling for three weeks this summer, an unexpectedly long time. Basically I am going to get screwed on the GMAT unless I really cram down. I've been using the MGMAT guides but get really bored after looking at them for 5 minutes, since everything seems so basic. Anybody have any tips on staying motivated?

I signed up for the GMAT for August 25, so I have a bit more than a month to prepare. So far I've finished two MGMAT guides, and am looking to finish 1 per day. Still haven't taken any more practice tests since the first one, but I plan on taking one this weekend.

On a brighter note, I've been reading the economist religiously over the past several weeks, so hopefully my reading comprehension will improve.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
bipolarbear wrote:
I went traveling for three weeks this summer, an unexpectedly long time. Basically I am going to get screwed on the GMAT unless I really cram down. I've been using the MGMAT guides but get really bored after looking at them for 5 minutes, since everything seems so basic. Anybody have any tips on staying motivated?

I signed up for the GMAT for August 25, so I have a bit more than a month to prepare. So far I've finished two MGMAT guides, and am looking to finish 1 per day. Still haven't taken any more practice tests since the first one, but I plan on taking one this weekend.

On a brighter note, I've been reading the economist religiously over the past several weeks, so hopefully my reading comprehension will improve.

You might try to change up your study routine to keep things interesting. Do some verbal, then some quant, depending on what topics you need to study. It could also be useful to study at different times of the day and in new locations. I like to keep myself organized by making a list of exercises that need to be completed, that way I can pick whatever sounds the most interesting at that time.

Doing one MGMAT guide per day is definitely possible, but it might get boring and give you diminishing returns. Of course, that depends on which guide you're reading. The Number Properties guide is much shorter than the SC guide.

The most important thing you can do is try to keep your study interesting and rewarding. If you're losing motivation, watch some videos or read up on stuff that gets you excited about business school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the advice. It's pretty scary when one day you have 3 months to prepare and begin to slack off, and the next day you only have 5 weeks left and are in the :wtf where did the time go: mode. I have absolutely no idea how time flew by so quickly.

I was going to take my second MGMAT Cat today. I purchased the 6 tests + question banks. When starting the verbal section, the software suddenly said I was out of time even though it was my first question and kicked me out, so I ended up only doing the quantitative section. :wth:

So, second exam score:
SCORE & OVERVIEW OF RESULTS
TYPE SCORE ESTIMATED PERCENTILE RANK
Quantitative 48 86 %
Verbal 4 0 %
Total 430 19 % :lol:

Good news is that my quantitative score increased, and I haven't begun to review the probability questions which have been giving me the most problem. Bad news is that I still have a LONG way to go if I want to score 750+.

Since there's a lot more quant material than verbal material, my plan is to review quant first and keep doing the practice tests when I begin to study verbal strategies. Ideally I'd like to finish all 5 MGMAT quant books by Monday + test bank questions, and then start hacking at the GMATclub quant tests while I start learning verbal skills.

I'm still in shock that I only have 5 weeks left and have barely begun to prepare. Anyone try the kamikaze study approach? I'm going to aim for 6 hours a day (3 2-hour sessions) for a total of 36 hours a week, which should put me in the ~150 hour range in all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Keep in mind that verbal is weighted much more heavily than quant when producing your overall GMAT score. If studying quant for the next 5 weeks takes you from 48 to 49, but studying verbal takes you from 39 to 42, it would be best to study verbal.

As a reference point, Q49/V42 is a pretty common breakdown for a 750 score.

You should definitely study quant, but I think most of us make the mistake of underestimating the difficulty, as well as the point value, of the verbal section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks. I know that I need to review verbal more than quant, but my rationale is that I finish all my quant review within the next couple of days, and then starting my verbal review. The reason is because there is much more quant material than verbal material (e.g. gmatclub tests), so after learning the quant strategies, I can just do a gmatclub test per day to practice while devoting much more time to learning verbal. Starting late July I plan to delve full force into verbal.

During this "quest" or lack thereof, I've come to realize I'm incredibly lazy. I have very little motivation to study and would like to enjoy the summer. I just graduated from college and have one summer before work starts, yet here I am cramming for the GMAT. Today I barely opened my MGMAT books, and after spending 5 minutes trying to review combinations/permutations I started watching tv. :(

Tonight I started the first of my gmatclub tests. A couple of silly mistakes here and there should help me pay more attention next time. Overall I scored a 31/37, or a 84%. Honestly, given how everyone said the gmatclub tests were extremely difficult, I found them to be less difficult than the math on MGMAT's CATs. This however is based only on gmatclub test 1, so maybe they will be harder.

My goal is to take 1 GMATclub quant test every day for for the next 25 days. Hopefully I can stick to it. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I finished the MGMAT RC book today. Did gmatclub m02. Two stupid mistakes the during the first 35 questions. Question 36 I encountered a question asking if 0 was a whole number or not, and I got so annoyed at gmatclub and the testmakers since I couldn't remember this trivial fact. Then I essentially selected the answer pertaining to "no," opened up google to check and realized i was wrong, kept my original wrong answer and went to the last problem, and sped through it to get that wrong too. i realize my lack of concentration definitely caused me to get the last question wrong so hopefully that won't happen during test day =(.

Date Test Correct Total % Correct Mean time Percentile
m02 33 37 89% 93.8058 sec 90%

Anyway, I'm starting to do more and more RC passages. I've been reviewing OG RC parts and generally per passage I get 0-1 wrong. I want to consistently get 0 wrong. My quant has gotten to the point where I feel like my fundamentals are solid and can improve to Q50 level just by doing the gmatclub tests. + mgmat question banks (i.e. no more studying strategy)

Goals for tomorrow:

do gmatclub m03
do mgmat question bank of combinatorics/word translations
at least 8 passages of reading comprehension from OG11 + Official Verbal Guide

After I get this RC nailed I'll move on to SC. Spend a couple of days intensely drilling my SC and maybe then move on to CR, which is my weakness and will need weeks of dedication.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Send PM
Looking good bipolarbear. 33/37 on a gc test is a great score. You should be within the 49-50 range.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderator:
Founder
37354 posts