Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72901 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: My Botched Attempt at 700+ (Kinda Long) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Your quant score is pretty consistent but the Verbal went down significantly. I have noticed this a few times over time.
I believe even GMAC has trouble keeping verbal consistent. I would recommend to reschedule the test for the next month - in 30-45 days. Take a week/few days off.
Then work on math and verbal for the next month. Improve your math a few points (go through Kaplan Math Foundations or Kaplan Math Workbook)
Do something similar with Verbal - which is your weakest area (hopefully not RC) and work on that one.

Your goal is to - maximize points and have a better day next time that would be on par with your practice verbal performance.
Invest time into the areas easiest to improve
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Retake. I believe you can do it base on your gmatprep scores.

In order to get a realistic shot into Insead, a 700+ is a must. Or if you have excellent accomplishments, then the lower half of 80% range may be acceptable.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Initially I had a tough time realizing whether I learned the concept or just remembered the Q & A. It might sound silly but it did happen to me on few concepts not every one though. Do not give up in a fit of rage. 2 months is not sufficient enough for many people, including myself, even though it might seem so. But the good thing is you were at 620 to start with and I am sure many of us who eventually got past the 700 hurdle might have been below the mean of 550. I was so bad with grammar that I did not know when such as should be used and when like should be used. Re evaluate your strengths and weakness and come up with a strategy that will fit you.

If you are beyond 30 miles or have to travel on interstate with severe traffic, I suggest you go the night before and get good rest. But that's me and my thought. fortunately my test center was 5 min/miles away from my home.
Suspended Member
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Thanks.... Can you please tell us how you avoided questions from getting repeated in so many attempts.

Install ...Unistall or is there any other way around!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
gmac25 wrote:
Thanks.... Can you please tell us how you avoided questions from getting repeated in so many attempts.

Install ...Unistall or is there any other way around!!

Hi gmac25,

I got a "used" GMATprep CD from a friend who took the test last year. I was told by this friend not to register for the test until I was hitting a certain score. Once I did hit my target score, I registered for the test, uninstalled the CD version and downloaded the version from mba.com. I saw all new questions when I did that. You can see my thread about that here: does-anyone-know-whether-gmac-changes-questions-in-gmatprep-82087.html

HTH

Franklin
Current Student
Send PM
icandy wrote:
Initially I had a tough time realizing whether I learned the concept or just remembered the Q & A. It might sound silly but it did happen to me on few concepts not every one though. Do not give up in a fit of rage. 2 months is not sufficient enough for many people, including myself, even though it might seem so. But the good thing is you were at 620 to start with and I am sure many of us who eventually got past the 700 hurdle might have been below the mean of 550. I was so bad with grammar that I did not know when such as should be used and when like should be used. Re evaluate your strengths and weakness and come up with a strategy that will fit you.

If you are beyond 30 miles or have to travel on interstate with severe traffic, I suggest you go the night before and get good rest. But that's me and my thought. fortunately my test center was 5 min/miles away from my home.

No, I hear ya on that. On some quant problems I would remember the Q&A from the OG. It did happen on a few concepts. So I guess I need to strengthen my conceptual understanding.

I plan to take a week off (vacation) and then get back to it. Looking back on the experience I know I could have done better. I'm not as disappointed as I was on Friday. It is what it is ... I just need to keep pushing.
Current Student
Send PM
boeinz wrote:
Retake. I believe you can do it base on your gmatprep scores.

In order to get a realistic shot into Insead, a 700+ is a must. Or if you have excellent accomplishments, then the lower half of 80% range may be acceptable.

Thank you for your support! I believe I can do it too. As for INSEAD, I believe that a 700+ is a must. Although I have a very interesting background, e.g., lawyer, politician, college quarterback, entrepreneur, etc. I don't want the GMAT to be my hang up. I don't want any excuses for them to reject me.

When I owned my real estate investment company lenders/investors would always tell me: "Never give us a funding proposal with weaknesses that would allow us to reject your proposal." I'm taking the same strategy with my mba apps.
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
Hey Frank,

You had a bad day

I'm not a guru but I think you should definitely give it a second shot. Your math needs improvement. I suggest you buy MGMAT's material for math; it is very good and you get access to the 6 CATs, which are awesome. Since you are a lawyer, your verbal doesn't need major improvement but only a little tweaking to take it to 40+

Ciao,
Uplugged

Thanks Unplugged! I appreciate your advice and support!

Quote:
definitely retake! you just had a bad day, maybe nerves got to you?

I recently had the same thing happen to me when I took the gmat. I was scoring 720 on my last 2 gmatprep tests and I got a 660 on the actually test, still not sure what happened! but given your practice tests you can absolutely score 700+ and I will be retaking with you! hah so you are not alone!

My plan is to go back over the broad basics first for a couple days and then start using gmatclub math tests for the hard quant problems

cheers! hopefully we can both get to 700+!

Thanks Jolt! When do you plan to retake? I pm'ed Avernusaur about Total GMAT Math. You may wanna check it out. It seems like a really good resource. I downloaded the free excerpt and so far so good.

Quote:
Your quant score is pretty consistent but the Verbal went down significantly. I have noticed this a few times over time.
I believe even GMAC has trouble keeping verbal consistent. I would recommend to reschedule the test for the next month - in 30-45 days. Take a week/few days off.
Then work on math and verbal for the next month. Improve your math a few points (go through Kaplan Math Foundations or Kaplan Math Workbook)
Do something similar with Verbal - which is your weakest area (hopefully not RC) and work on that one.

Your goal is to - maximize points and have a better day next time that would be on par with your practice verbal performance.
Invest time into the areas easiest to improve

Thanks for the support bb! I appreciate the advice and my plan is to retake in October. I'll be a regular here on the forums. Thanks for creating such a great resource.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Franklin,

I actually had the opposite experience.

On my first attempt at the GMAT (Dec 2007) I felt great, slept well, etc, and scored a 610.

On my second attempt, I didn't sleep all night, food didn't settle in my stomach, and for some reason, the vents could not get to my cube (got really hot). Add to that I *felt* like I did terrible, and I somehow pulled a 710 out of a hat (albeit lower AWA, I'm guessing my hands did not cooperate with my mind during proofing being sleep deprived and all).

You should be able to do much better. If you broke 700 on all the different practice exams, you should be able to break 700 on the real thing (I never broke 700 on any practice tests).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, IB
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, LBS
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Franklin!

What does it mean that you hope - u really must do it! :)) I saw your profile and I would like to tell you that I had no single attempt with more than V40 result, so u are destined to score 700 + )) 90% of people on gmat club have the opposite problem with high math and low verbal - and believe me that is far more difficult to handle.
I advice you to practise only math (if preparation time is restrained) as I believe you could fairly quickly improve it, and secondly I am sure that u failed on the test with verbal because of stressing quant section. And finally one more reason to practice math is that for Bschools the score should be ideally balanced but if not, its better to compensate for verbal with math than vice versa.
I recommend gmatclub tests, as they are the most convinient for practise and cover majority of questions. Kaplan 800 is not bad, may be its questions are not relevant to the real test -but it certainly makes your brain to work and seak answers - that is the main. For this reason I practised also some extremely tough MGMAT questions (do not remember where I got them :) I heard that Extreme Challenge is a really good stuff - but I haven't enough time to try it.
Do not lose time on OG questions - but go already to tough questions. Its the same as advancing with LSAT CR/RC - it is definitely blows your brain at first but then you feel as if you changed your very old car with mechanical gearbox on a new BMW :)
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
go for the second attempt..you will definitely do much better guessing on your potential.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Franklin,

I strongly suggest that you should give it a second try. I know this feeling and I have gone thru this .. On the practice tests I never scored less than 750-760 but on real GMAT i can't even came close to 7xx. You will have to give it one more shot ands hope for the best...

Best of luck!
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the support mohater, zyskind, whatthehell and rao_1857!

I've decided to retake and started my prep with Total GMAT Math to refresh areas that I am shaky on. I also plan to use some of my old LSAT tests to practice the more difficult CR questions I encountered on the real thing. Maybe I should keep a log like bipolarbear ... :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Best of luck !!!! and hope you see a 7xx this time !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Kudos
Franklin wrote:
Thanks for the support mohater, zyskind, whatthehell and rao_1857!

I've decided to retake and started my prep with Total GMAT Math to refresh areas that I am shaky on. I also plan to use some of my old LSAT tests to practice the more difficult CR questions I encountered on the real thing. Maybe I should keep a log like bipolarbear ... :-D

A log might definitely track your preparation. And you can also expect some good suggestions from the fellow GMATClub members. All the best for your preparation.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Kudos
Franklin,

Definitely Retake!

Hopefully, you can share some tough CR problems in the forum and we can all learn from it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Kudos
Completely support your decision to retake. Wish you all the best!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts