Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 00:05 It is currently 09 May 2024, 00:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
northernstar wrote:
@thedeadlyone

Is it really relevant? Aren't you anyways gonna give your best at the interview? The percentages do not matter. The percentage of accepted after interview can be as high as 90%, but wouldn't be of any use to you if they put you in the other 10%. And what if they accept just 10% and you are one of them?

Just concentrate on your interview and do your best. Let the adcom do the calculations.

Well Said North!!
@deadlyOne ... give it your best and everything else will fall in place...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is there still hope for Indian applicants; have this strange feeling that most interview invites for Indians went out yesterday. Anyone who had heard of more invites from India? What about Reliance Fellowship guys?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
i think they don't like me...maybe its the age thing in my case...but you guys shouldn't give up as yet...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
northernstar wrote:
@thedeadlyone

Is it really relevant? Aren't you anyways gonna give your best at the interview? The percentages do not matter. The percentage of accepted after interview can be as high as 90%, but wouldn't be of any use to you if they put you in the other 10%. And what if they accept just 10% and you are one of them?

Just concentrate on your interview and do your best. Let the adcom do the calculations.

Couldn't agree more northerstar...

To be honest..the only thing im really worried about is the common perception that stanford doesn't really value the interviews too much... So i keep thinking....what if i have no power over the decision...and that thought...just s**kc...

But thanks for your pep talk....i think i shd not be worrying abt all this and jsut give it my best....
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
I think you're referring to Sandy (the HBS Guru), who is of the opinion that the Stanford interview really doesn't matter at all. He's said as much in his blog (in fact, he had a post about it today).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
I think you're referring to Sandy (the HBS Guru), who is of the opinion that the Stanford interview really doesn't matter at all. He's said as much in his blog (in fact, he had a post about it today).

Yea him and other varied sources over the internet..
but quite frankly..i don't trust what sandy has to say....
the guy might have achieved a lot...but he's more of a wannabe than a "been there done that" kind of guy...
just a personal opinion....no offense...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i've applied to R1.

no invite until today....

anybody knows how many more invites to go?

is the bulk already sent? there is 4 weeks more before the deadline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
northernstar wrote:
@thedeadlyone

Agreed. The percentage shouldn't affect how you approach it.

It just says that the road may be a little longer/tougher than expected (i.e. don't think you're in just because you've got the interview), but we all knew that it was going to be tough when applying to one of the top 5 schools, didn't we?

To answer thedeadlyone's question about confirming those values, you can do the math yourself. I got the data from Stanford MBA's facebook page. There were approximately 550-600 interviews for R1, 375-400 in R2, and there's no mention about the numbers for R3. On the class profile page of Stanford's website, it says there were 7536 applicants, and 385 enrolled students. Don't forget to include the matriculation rate (~85% I think, but I could be wrong) in your calculations.

I'd also like to point out that these are just statistics. They don't mean that those that got an interview but not acceptance were denied because of the interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Sloan & Haas (interview withdrawn)
 Q47  V47
Send PM
I got my interview invite today. Needless to say, I am over the moon!

My profile:

Asian Male, 29 at matriculation
3.7 Undergrad Engineering, 3.9 MS Engineering, 750 GMAT 47/47
W Ex: Founder of multi-million dollar business that was recently acquired by a public company (9-years Entrepreneurial experience)
Extracurricular: Regional dance champion, contestant on a dancing reality TV show

Now to prep for the interview...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats to all who are receiving the invites....

Where is mine ... :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Congrats Gelop! Best of luck at the interview.
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
 Q50  V36 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Send PM
@Gelopwez:

Congratulations! for the invite, though I am sure with this kind of profile, getting an invite was just a matter of 'when' rather than 'whether'

Naive, as I may sound, but I am very curious to understand your motivation behind doing an MBA. I mean, you'v built and exited a multi-million dollar venture already, you could very well start a new venture and build a few hundred millions more rather than slogging for 2 years studying finance, marketing etc which might not help you that much in your future goals.

For me a Stan MBA helps you develop basic managerial know-how/skills, a strong network across the world as well as loads of credibility. I do not see either of the 3 as a matter of concern for you.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Sloan & Haas (interview withdrawn)
 Q47  V47
Send PM
I still haven't heard from H, so up until the S invite I was gritting my teeth just like everyone else who was still waiting for any news...

As for my motivations, I attribute a large part of my prior success to right-place right-time luck, coupled with a dash of right-person. I really do not have a solid foundation in many aspects of entrepeneurship, including finance. Half the time I was reacting to what I needed to do, rather than acting in a concerted fashion (just ask the acquisitors about my accounting practices). My goal in b-school is to acquire those skills in a controlled setting, as well as to build a network with other ambitious/successful individuals.

Best of luck to all who are still waiting!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Gelopwez wrote:
I got my interview invite today. Needless to say, I am over the moon!

My profile:

Asian Male, 29 at matriculation
3.7 Undergrad Engineering, 3.9 MS Engineering, 750 GMAT 47/47
W Ex: Founder of multi-million dollar business that was recently acquired by a public company (9-years Entrepreneurial experience)
Extracurricular: Regional dance champion, contestant on a dancing reality TV show

Now to prep for the interview...

Whoa. zappos.com? ;)

j/k. Very impressive profile and good luck on your interview!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats @Gelopwez ... Do well! My profile is somewhat similar to yours...though no acquisition...and I think our starting points in life and motivation might also different, but its good to see an "elderly" applicant getting an invite :)

@lostphoton

Any news from Indian applicants? Is it time to give up? I never thought they wouldn't even call me for an interview...I feel embarrassed...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
my motivation as @lostphoton also mentioned was to get a larger window into the world...being a startup founder in India is very different from taking a shot in silicon valley...i just want that chance...
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
 Q50  V36 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Send PM
I haven't heard from any of them as yet, though I don't track them on a day to day basis, so it maybe that many of them got an invite - would figure out by this weekend

I wouldn't worry though, I think they send invites in batches and this might continue till late next week. (just my sense of the things)

So I think we would hear the next batch early morning tomorrow and therafter on tuesday morning and next week friday morning. Hope we are in one of these batches (I know I am speculating a lot, but it's fun if nothing else :) )

All the Very Best!! to everyone

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts