Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:38 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [380]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Math Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink]
Do the current Manhattan books (4th ed) still refer to the 11th ed of OG as the OP states? I have the 12th ed OG (and quant OG) and am looking for the best guide to help me increase my quant score. Don't have a problem spending a hundred or so on the Manhattan books if they are the best ones to get, but if they refer to the 11th ed of OG, that seems like a negative, no?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
jeckll wrote:
Do the current Manhattan books (4th ed) still refer to the 11th ed of OG as the OP states? I have the 12th ed OG (and quant OG) and am looking for the best guide to help me increase my quant score. Don't have a problem spending a hundred or so on the Manhattan books if they are the best ones to get, but if they refer to the 11th ed of OG, that seems like a negative, no?

My fourth edition states on the front cover that the book is "updated for the 12th edition of the Official Guide!" You can click on the book's image on Amazon for a close-up view:

https://www.amazon.com/Number-Properties ... 0982423845

I am currently using the Manhattan math series, and I like these books. Each chapter has about 15 practice questions (sometimes more, sometimes less). These end-of chapter questions, which are not OG problems, test and reinforce what has just been covered.

I say go for it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
During a conversation with a friend, it hit me that I really haven't been exposed to GMAT math content since high school. I was an urban studies major and was able to satisfy a math requirement with a game theory course..lol. A while back, another friend (SAT tutor) recommended Peterson's GMAT/GRE Math Review. I also took note of GMATClub's review of Kaplan's Math Workbook. Initially, I looked at both but opted to really digg into the Peterson's book. I haven't really touched the Kaplan book maybe because of it's organization? Peterson's seemed to break down the content really well and in my case, served as a good primer to some Manhattan GMAT materials I'll be using the rest of the way.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gottabwise wrote:
During a conversation with a friend, it hit me that I really haven't been exposed to GMAT math content since high school. I was an urban studies major and was able to satisfy a math requirement with a game theory course..lol. A while back, another friend (SAT tutor) recommended Peterson's GMAT/GRE Math Review. I also took note of GMATClub's review of Kaplan's Math Workbook. Initially, I looked at both but opted to really digg into the Peterson's book. I haven't really touched the Kaplan book maybe because of it's organization? Peterson's seemed to break down the content really well and in my case, served as a good primer to some Manhattan GMAT materials I'll be using the rest of the way.

Thanks for the feedback (I will try to review the book) - would be interested to hear your feedback about Peterson's after you are done with MGMAT guides.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
I have just went through the Kaplan Math Foundations and the MGMAT NP book. The Kaplan book is very basic, I am very rusty in math but I found that it was difficult for me to relate the material in this book to actual GMAT questions. The MGMAT NP book on the otherhand is very relevant and is specifically targeted to the GMAT questions, I really saw a connection between the material and the actual questions in the og. I am excited to start the rest of the series. I'll keep you posted.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
trzaskm wrote:
I have just went through the Kaplan Math Foundations and the MGMAT NP book. The Kaplan book is very basic, I am very rusty in math but I found that it was difficult for me to relate the material in this book to actual GMAT questions. The MGMAT NP book on the otherhand is very relevant and is specifically targeted to the GMAT questions, I really saw a connection between the material and the actual questions in the og. I am excited to start the rest of the series. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
Yes, probably the fact that quite a few questions in the Kaplan Math Foundations are not GMAT-format questions does not help either. So, not recommended?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
trzaskm wrote:
Thanks!
Yes, probably the fact that quite a few questions in the Kaplan Math Foundations are not GMAT-format questions does not help either. So, not recommended?

No I would not recommend the Kaplan Book, right now I am trying to make my way through all of the Manhattan GMAT Quant Books. I actually was going to buy the Kaplan Verbal Foundations but after going through the Quant I think I am just going to stick with the Manhattan GMAT set.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
trzaskm wrote:
trzaskm wrote:
Thanks!

No I would not recommend the Kaplan Book, right now I am trying to make my way through all of the Manhattan GMAT Quant Books. I actually was going to buy the Kaplan Verbal Foundations but after going through the Quant I think I am just going to stick with the Manhattan GMAT set.

The only reason you may need the Verbal Foundations book is if your grammar is very weak. If you are not international, don't get it. If you are, do the MGMAT SC first, and then see your results - you may need to.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
lonewolf wrote:
Guys, I am not sure if this had been addressed before but how useful is MGMAT Word Translation? From most of the posts so far, it seems that a lot people skipped it.

I am actually planning to add it to the list. The word-translations book has Combinations and Probability coverage.

See this list of the most popular GMAT Books: top-20-best-gmat-books-on-gmat-club-76582-20.html

-
Attachments

wordtranslations.png
wordtranslations.png [ 24.83 KiB | Viewed 12754 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
I am a bit suprised to find that no one has mentioned this book:
EZ Solutions - Test Prep Series - Math Practice - Advanced Workbook - GMAT (Ez Solutions: Test Prep Series)(https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Solutions-Prac ... 362&sr=8-1)

Has anyone else used this?

Like the title implies, this is definitely not the book you want to get if have just started studying for GMATs. But if you have studied Quant quite a bit and you are looking for extra practice, this is definitely the book to get.

One caveat: The problems in this book do not resemble the GMAT questions at all. Instead what you will find is A LOT of different problems, each aimed at giving you practice or testing a very specific topic. If you can complete the problems in this book, that means you have already mastered the key topics you will need to do well in the GMAT.

I this this difference is very important. With a lot of these GMAT books, we often get caught up trying to solve problems that we forget that the most important thing to do is to make sure that we understand the concepts being tested in GMAT.

The book covers a broad range of topics including, Number Properties, Word Problems, Geometry, and Prob&Statistics.

After completing the problems in this book, I am sure you will see an improvement in your overall quant scores (I'm talking to 600-690 group here).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
bb wrote:
gottabwise wrote:

Thanks for the feedback (I will try to review the book) - would be interested to hear your feedback about Peterson's after you are done with MGMAT guides.

Peterson's is great as a primer for leading up to quant review. It starts with the basics...PEMDAS...and builds up from there. Kaplan's book on the other hand starts with a concept like ratios and gives you no initial foundation. The tips are good but where's your foundational knowledge if you've been away from math for years? Ultimately, Manhattan GMAT's strategy guides are super. I'm progressing very well. However, I wouldn't recommend them to until after you've done an initial review with something like Peterson's or even Princeton's basic math review book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,
I've taken 2 practice tests already and my scores have ended up WELL below where I want to be. At this point, I think I need to go back to basics before I can move forward with GMAT specific stuff and taking practice tests again. I looked over the wrong answers I had on the practice tests, and my weak areas are sentence correction, reading comprehension, a mix of math issues, and data sufficiency (far and away the area where I missed THE MOST questions).

Based on that, I plan to revisit general math concepts using "The Ultimate Math Refresher for the GRE, GMAT, and SAT (Paperback)" before going back to studying GMAT specific math concepts again. Has anyone else used this book?

Also, does anyone have recommendations on the best book(s) for data sufficiency?

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
meliha wrote:

Also, does anyone have recommendations on the best book(s) for data sufficiency?

Thanks

The only DS book I know of is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188905 ... 1889057541

I have this book but have not spent time to review it yet - it is LONGGGG
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi, I am hoping somebody can help me with my selection of maths guides.

I was a physics UG and am now finishing my PhD so I have been using maths daily for the last 7 years. Of course, for the standardised tests one generally needs to know "shortcut rules" to do well under timed conditions. If there is no time pressure one will approach questions differently...

Given this difference, I was wondering if other physicists or engineers had any advice on the choice of maths books. (Or anybody else...)

I am considering the MGMAT Guides but are they really useful for somebody with my background? Or should I just do problems and try to concentrate on the questions that make me stumble? (I am preparing for 750+.)

Also while we are at it: in the forum "the four quant MGMAT guides" is often mentionned. Are there not five? (i.e. the guides numbered 1-5.)

Many thanks!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
funky wrote:
Hi, I am hoping somebody can help me with my selection of maths guides.

I was a physics UG and am now finishing my PhD so I have been using maths daily for the last 7 years. Of course, for the standardised tests one generally needs to know "shortcut rules" to do well under timed conditions. If there is no time pressure one will approach questions differently...

Given this difference, I was wondering if other physicists or engineers had any advice on the choice of maths books. (Or anybody else...)

I am considering the MGMAT Guides but are they really useful for somebody with my background? Or should I just do problems and try to concentrate on the questions that make me stumble? (I am preparing for 750+.)

Also while we are at it: in the forum "the four quant MGMAT guides" is often mentionned. Are there not five? (i.e. the guides numbered 1-5.)

Many thanks!

You are correct - there are 5 MGMAT Math Guides; 3 Verbal Guides and 1 Intro Guide (Foundations of GMAT Math)
If you are good with math, take a diagnostic test and see how you do. If you get above 42, would suggest you try a Kaplan Math Workbook - it is shorter and gives you a decent review. If less, then MGMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 214 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
can you kindly advice me some books as a good review of data sufficienty questions?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
lucalelli88 wrote:
can you kindly advice me some books as a good review of data sufficienty questions?

There is only one dedicated DS book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188905 ... 1889057541

I would suggest focusing on areas you lack rather than question types, though you can if you want to. PR 1012 also has DS questions (though it has some typos here and there).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi guys! :)

I've read through this section, and I see that to get the best practice for the quant section of the GMAT, you guys recommend the Manhattan Guides. Based on the thread, the Manhattan Guides lack practice questions and the books often refer to the OG for questions. You pointed out that the OG's difficulty ranges from easy to medium. My question is - what's in the Manhattan Guides that provide additional value over the OG's material? Are these books good if you're aiming for 700+? Are there other books out there that provide a 700-800 difficulty collection of questions?

I know that EZ guides got a bad rap in this forum because of their unethical practices but has anyone used them and did you find them useful, or would it just muddle your brain?

Thanks for the tips here! They really are quite helpful. :D
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92995 posts