Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: GM / Strategy
Schools:Yale SOM '12
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Mine is supposed to arrive next Wednesday too. I would've paid an extra few bucks on the application fee to get this baby overnighted. Is everyone else's 2 lbs? That seems heavy for a pamphlet and a return envelope.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I obviously did not get any emails about the Fedex shipping stuff...I am an int'l applicant though, that may explain something.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
for roll calls - i've been waitlised..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
hey guys, admitted and here's a brief debrief... hope it helps people. keep in mind that these are my opinions, based on my experience, and it isn't the one and only correct opinion.

i applied R1 with a 660 GMAT. i've since rectified this with a 730, but as far as Darden apps were concerned, i scored a mere 660... 40Q/40V.
background was in both MNCs (P&G mktg) and entrepreneurship in Philippines.
Darden likes entrepreneurs, which is something you can't say for other schools; in fact, they have a scholarship for former entrepreneurs - they're willing to waive enrollment fees just to give incentive to entrepreneurs to enter darden. i don't know yet whether i will get one, but an entrepreneur friend of mine from last year did. it's called the batten scholarship.
Darden prides itself in being very ethics oriented. I capitalized on this in one essay, by showing just exactly how ethical i am... and i hinted heavily to my recommenders to put a good ethics bent on their recommendations. I tihnk this showed a good fit with Darden.
The other question was rather unique. I had an enjoyable time answering it. "How did you react to the global economic crisis, and how has this changed/affected you?" (paraphrased, because i don't remember the exact wording). I had a uniquely enriching way of dealing with the crisis: i backpacked around southeast asia, and volunteered to teach in the poorer areas i went to. Did this help? I don't know, but it certainly was unique, and hopefully the admits committee found value in this.

Interview:
The interviews were blind - meaning that the interviewer will not have read my essays/profile before the interview. It was VERY loosely structured in that she basically just said: ok, here's how it's gonna happen, you tell me about your life since college, up to now. You do that for about 30 mins. I'll jump in if I want to know about particular details (although she rarely ever did). For the last 15 mins, you can ask me some questions, and I will answer them.
I did a good job I think explaining my history (6 applications for round 2 asking for the same thing will do that to you), though I did extend a bit beyond 30 mins.
I messed up a bit in the questions portion, because I didn't have any good questions to ask... but I recovered by saying that the reason for this is because I have friends who are current students, as well as alums, who have answered all my questions already. this is true. and i also said that i know all i need to know about virginia and darden, and that about the only bad thing about it is the extremely cold weather. she laughed that off and we parted happy.

two weeks later, I miss the call by the admits committee, because I thought it was my alarm going off. they did call at 7am! instead, i got an email saying i got in, and that the admits package was on its way. congrats.

that was a good day.

The day after, I get emails from four different alumni congratulating me (ok granted, three of whom I knew personally, and only one whom I didn't), and saying that if I had any questions I could just ask them. The kicker is that they sent this to the three other admits from my country, whom they did not know personally. That's a tight knit community!

hope this helps potential applicants here. cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Very detailed and insightful.

I'd like to hear more experience sharings from other admits. :-)

Keep this thread rolling.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
thanks pohcc. Very detailed indeed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I created a google group for all the admitted students for class 2012 at Darden School of business.
Please subscribe and keep in touch with others for updates on transitioning to Darden.

Especially, it is helpful for international students with planning of finances, living etc..
Visit the group here.. https://groups.yahoo.com/group/DARDEN2012
Please feel free to advertise.

Originally posted by Neochronic on 31 Jan 2010, 17:38.
Last edited by Neochronic on 01 Feb 2010, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Neochronic, the link doesn't work for Chinese students...either because the govt banned it or...any unknown reasons... :-S

I really wanna join in the group, but unfornately cannot make it...

---I guess someone from my side said he could make it, I will just ask him for the procedure.

Keep the link work. Sorry for the confusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Yahoo is better than Google..as it has poll options..
Now the group is changed to YAhoo groups..

Visit the group at https://groups.yahoo.com/group/DARDEN2012.
To subscribe: mail to DARDEN2012-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Hope this will work now.

amanda2010cn wrote:
Neochronic, the link doesn't work for Chinese students...either because the govt banned it or...any unknown reasons... :-S

I really wanna join in the group, but unfornately cannot make it...

---I guess someone from my side said he could make it, I will just ask him for the procedure.

Keep the link work. Sorry for the confusion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To Neochronic:

Yep, it works!!!

Thanks for the wonderful job. :)

I am in the group!
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
received interview invite today
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats!!!
Seems like R2 invites are going out!
Fabulous... :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina
Send PM
you can add me to the Roll Call for Round 2 - I got an interview invite on 1/28.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Tuck, Duke, UNC, BU, NYU, Darden
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Just received interview invite for R2. Any tips on travel for those who have already made the trek? I’ll be coming from the New England area.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Darden '12
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Does anybody know how Darden determines interview invites? Is it based on an initial reading of the whole application (including essays, etc.) or is it just based on factors such as GPA, GMAT, and Work experience?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
jkatz8809 wrote:
Just received interview invite for R2. Any tips on travel for those who have already made the trek? I’ll be coming from the New England area.

I live in New York. When I was flying down to interview, the flights into the Charlottesville airport were three times more expensive than the flights into Richmond. Since you'll probably need to rent a car anyway, I would consider flying into Richmond and driving up. The drive is a little less than an hour and half and really easy. That being said, I've been looking at flights to go down to the admitted students day on Feb 12 and flying into Charlottesville isn't too much more expensive this go round.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina
Send PM
mbaapp wrote:
Does anybody know how Darden determines interview invites? Is it based on an initial reading of the whole application (including essays, etc.) or is it just based on factors such as GPA, GMAT, and Work experience?

I don't know but I'd have to assume it's after a review of the entire application. I'm not sure if the application is looked at by multiple adcoms (and/or students) like some other schools, but I'd be surprised if they simply looked at the numbers to determine interview. Again, I could be wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  64