Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 10:29 It is currently 05 May 2024, 10:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, IB, Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Sloanie 2013
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
Kudos
adalfu wrote:
kunoflo wrote:
Hi guys, I need your honest opinion... Do you need that with a 520 in the Gmat it would be a waste applying to Both? (even if I have a good application).

Please be blunt, everyone says "Just try" but you guys know how painful it is to go through the application process and then get rejected. Help is appreciated... Thanks!

If you got a 3.9 gpa in college, then I assume that you're not totally dumb and you're at least a decent test taker. I would retake the GMAT to try to get at least a 650. You're only as strong as the weakest link, so if you can do anything to increase your score, that'll definitely better your chances.

If you don't do that, I think your chances are slim to none.

Thank you for your honesty guys! I am an Italian F, entrepreneur, and a bad test taker but I got a good GRE score. I am happy that one of my favorite schools accepts it :). I have also taken a Calculus (scored an A) and a Microeconomics class to strengthen my case.

I will follow your advice and not apply to Booth.

I wish you the BEST of luck and hope you both get in.:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I was quite pleased when a few weeks ago, both Chicago Booth and Kellogg contacted me via GMASS and asked me to look at their schools and upcoming events in my city. There's one for Booth very soon so I'll be sure to attend - and I'm quite sure I want to apply R1. Will update you guys when I finally throw my hat in. A priori, love everything about the school.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
I was quite pleased when a few weeks ago, both Chicago Booth and Kellogg contacted me via GMASS and asked me to look at their schools and upcoming events in my city. There's one for Booth very soon so I'll be sure to attend - and I'm quite sure I want to apply R1. Will update you guys when I finally throw my hat in. A priori, love everything about the school.

since this topic was brought up, I have a question about GMASS contacting a person. I was also contacted by Booth to check out its school. Does that mean I may be over the initial threshold (number-wise) or does GMASS just simply mass-email everyone to look at schools?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bakfed wrote:
osbornecox wrote:

since this topic was brought up, I have a question about GMASS contacting a person. I was also contacted by Booth to check out its school. Does that mean I may be over the initial threshold (number-wise) or does GMASS just simply mass-email everyone to look at schools?

I think there is a small degree of selection involved. I imagine that they wouldn't contact you, based on your GMAT information, if your GMAT was clearly subpar (I would like to think they aren't this cynical).

You probably had a few identifiers that, on paper, look like you should be in the running. You're biology background, California, 700, pharma work experience, right? Booth might find that interesting. Besides, you're in the 80/80 (or pretty close), right? I would check it out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, General
Schools:MIT Sloan, Columbia, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in for R1 as well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
gkumar wrote:
BruceLee wrote:
I am a reapplicant at Booth. Since I have to redo the PPT, it is fairly hard for me to come up with new themes and concepts to use in my new presentation. Should I use the same ideas and try to convey them differently? Is a certain degree of repetition acceptable?

Good q. I too am unsure on how to deal with the PPT as a reapplicant. Also the four pages are no longer just PPT, but doc, pdf, etc. I would appreciate any feedback on this as well.

I find it a bit tough to come up with 4 completely new slides...So personally i'm reusing 2 slides from last time (dinged with int) but am re-tooling the content..

E.g.: Lets assume that my new career goal is to be a consultant and i created a slide last time about mud wrestling...
This time i will re-use the same slide but talk about how mud wrestling has helped me discover a whole new aspect to due diligence etc..Basically the slide should reinforce your updated career goals (or whatever is diff. about yourself this time)...
The way i look at it, Essay 3 should resonate with the picture of yourself you are trying to present to the AdCom...Being creative for the sake of it is as bad as no creativity..

Just my 2 cents,rubles whatever....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
is booth tougher to get in than Stern? i am trying to make a decision... anyone can help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Booth has a higher acceptance rate than Stern, but slightly better stats and a much better ranking. This tells me that although more people apply to Stern, they may be weaker in general than those who apply to Booth.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
bakfed wrote:
osbornecox wrote:

I think there is a small degree of selection involved. I imagine that they wouldn't contact you, based on your GMAT information, if your GMAT was clearly subpar (I would like to think they aren't this cynical).

You probably had a few identifiers that, on paper, look like you should be in the running. You're biology background, California, 700, pharma work experience, right? Booth might find that interesting. Besides, you're in the 80/80 (or pretty close), right? I would check it out.

I'd like to think so, too, that I'm in the running. Was just curious and wanted to see if anyone knows about it. I'll be tossing my name in the hat for sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Does anyone know if recommenders are asked specific question in the Booth application? The website does mention specific questions but just gives generic guidelines on what the recommendation letter should cover. Any ideas?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
hetalcs wrote:
Does anyone know if recommenders are asked specific question in the Booth application? The website does mention specific questions but just gives generic guidelines on what the recommendation letter should cover. Any ideas?

It's a traditional letter of recommendation, but they ask that the recommender discuss specific topics.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2934 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys

I am looking at potentially applying to a few schools in either R2 or R3 this year. Booth is going to be one of my top preferences given its strength in finance.

However, given the monetary nature of decision, I have been trying to dig up what is the median, mean and maximum compensation packages that graduates from booth have been getting over the past 2 or 3 years. I am unable to find this information on the website, does anyone know where to find this ? Or can current or former students help ? In particular I am looking at the consulting firms and at the financial firms (banks & HFs)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Concentration: Strategy, IB, Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
Here you go:

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/employmentreport/index.aspx

shrouded1 wrote:
Hi guys

I am looking at potentially applying to a few schools in either R2 or R3 this year. Booth is going to be one of my top preferences given its strength in finance.

However, given the monetary nature of decision, I have been trying to dig up what is the median, mean and maximum compensation packages that graduates from booth have been getting over the past 2 or 3 years. I am unable to find this information on the website, does anyone know where to find this ? Or can current or former students help ? In particular I am looking at the consulting firms and at the financial firms (banks & HFs)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
shrouded1 wrote:
Hi guys

Hi shrouded1, I'm not sure where the confusion comes from. The median and the means aren't very far off from each other - $5,000, say, and that's not exactly going to be earth-shattering. Bulge brackets have pretty standard compensation programs and they usually pay $100,000 in starting salaries for Associates, with around $20,000 for sign-on bonuses and a year-end stub. A JP Morgan banking associate from Chicago Booth is going to get the exact same package as a new associate from Wharton, Columbia, Yale or Berkeley; there will simply be more offers to Booth students than Berkeley (geography, student body's orientation, alumni network strength, etc). Consulting is a similar sort of deal - the starting salary tends to $120,000 and it doesn't matter where you came from. With the buyside, they tend to take their cues from investment banks, so unless you're working for Mubadala, it's not going to be too far off, save for an outlier or two that will pay you $300,000 or $400,000.
Retired Moderator
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the replies !

I guess the real reason why I ask this question is that I am already working in the field, and if I were not to go for an MBA, by the time the fall 2011 batch graduates, in 2013, I would already have made VP.

So the real question in my mind is if going to one school rather than another helps me to negotiate a bigger package & better title for myself after graduation. I am already more senior in hierarchy and pay structure than a 1st year associate. So really am trying to figure out (if it is possible at all to figure out) what the higher end of the pay bracket is and where that lands me up in 2 years time.

Putting 150k into a degree is a very tough decision to make :(

If the 300k or 400k outlier exists, it might well be worth the shot :lol: ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Send PM
shrouded1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies !

I guess the real reason why I ask this question is that I am already working in the field, and if I were not to go for an MBA, by the time the fall 2011 batch graduates, in 2013, I would already have made VP.

So the real question in my mind is if going to one school rather than another helps me to negotiate a bigger package & better title for myself after graduation. I am already more senior in hierarchy and pay structure than a 1st year associate. So really am trying to figure out (if it is possible at all to figure out) what the higher end of the pay bracket is and where that lands me up in 2 years time.

Putting 150k into a degree is a very tough decision to make :(

If the 300k or 400k outlier exists, it might well be worth the shot :lol: ...

Buyside.
Retired Moderator
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
unf with the Volcker rule being implemented .... most if not all prop desks have been rooted out
if banks dont take big risks, there wont be big returns. If no big returns, then in my opinion the sell side careers will soon cease to be lucrative

now the question really is if the sell-side/buy-side switch is easier to make direct or via a B-school which opens up the market and facilitates you meeting not just one or two but a load of potential future employers
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts