Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:24 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD, Columbia, Kellogg, Chicago, Wharton
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: Finance (4 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

I have a few queries with respect to the intake of INSEAD , can someone help me in the same. I am indian having an experience of nine years in Financial Services.

Functionally , i have been into Business Development , and have remained at leadership position for almost six years out of total experience of nine years.

My undergrads are in Business Admin and are strong enough, no issues with application essays ( have enough things to say ) or references too.

Now my questions are

1) How much importance does the b-school give to international exposure in job experience ?
2) If the job profile itself doesn't require international experience then how do they rate the job experience earned so far ? because i am not from IT field wherein you get more opportunities to work across globe.
3) I did my one year programme from IIM Calcutta, which was a part time sort of programme , truelly speaking it didnt make any value addition so should i show it in my application or not ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
Kudos
Replying to hirendhanak

Hi Experts,

I have a few queries with respect to the intake of INSEAD , can someone help me in the same. I am indian having an experience of nine years in Financial Services.

Functionally , i have been into Business Development , and have remained at leadership position for almost six years out of total experience of nine years. This sounds good...
My undergrads are in Business Admin and are strong enough, no issues with application essays ( have enough things to say ) or references too.

Now my questions are

1) How much importance does the b-school give to international exposure in job experience ? I think particulary INSEAD gives quite some importance to int’national exposure..2) If the job profile itself doesn't require international experience then how do they rate the job experience earned so far ? because i am not from IT field wherein you get more opportunities to work across globe. I guess it would be rated on your track, achievements, record, etc, at some point they would consider these and match them with your not-so-important int’national exposure. At the end of the day they do this will all applicants, they measure different things...I know guys that got accepted in Harvard MBA with no (zero) working experience, and other guys that got 760 GMAT and were not accepted in INSEAD or LSB...
3) I did my one year programme from IIM Calcutta, which was a part time sort of programme , truelly speaking it didnt make any value addition so should i show it in my application or not ? well...it’s a hard one...in short, I think not, because I do think you should try to be as true as you can in your application...also that will give you more confidence on that you can sustain your application for A to Z...for example, they could ask you about that on the interviews, etc. At the end of the day it’ll depend on your overall application, but if I had to choose yes or no, I’d choose no.

Hope it helped. Cheers.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys

Was wondering if there is any Australian in the forum? Have a few specifics questions about financing the INSEAD MBA in Australia.

I am already accepted for the Sept 11 intake, (got a postponement, I tell you in advance, it wasn’t easy :wink: ), so happy to answer any question...

Cheers.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Goldfinger wrote:
Replying to hirendhanak

Hi Experts,

Functionally , i have been into Business Development , and have remained at leadership position for almost six years out of total experience of nine years. This sounds good...

Now my questions are

1) How much importance does the b-school give to international exposure in job experience ? I think particulary INSEAD gives quite some importance to int’national exposure..2) If the job profile itself doesn't require international experience then how do they rate the job experience earned so far ? because i am not from IT field wherein you get more opportunities to work across globe. I guess it would be rated on your track, achievements, record, etc, at some point they would consider these and match them with your not-so-important int’national exposure. At the end of the day they do this will all applicants, they measure different things...I know guys that got accepted in Harvard MBA with no (zero) working experience, and other guys that got 760 GMAT and were not accepted in INSEAD or LSB...
3) I did my one year programme from IIM Calcutta, which was a part time sort of programme , truelly speaking it didnt make any value addition so should i show it in my application or not ? well...it’s a hard one...in short, I think not, because I do think you should try to be as true as you can in your application...also that will give you more confidence on that you can sustain your application for A to Z...for example, they could ask you about that on the interviews, etc. At the end of the day it’ll depend on your overall application, but if I had to choose yes or no, I’d choose no.

Hope it helped. Cheers.

Thanks

Thanks very much for giving me insighful picture.

I shall really be obliged if you can address a few more questions

1) I am scoring an average of 640 in my mocks right now.. i am not appearing for GMAT because i am sure if my GMAT is less then 700,then INSEAD may not even call me for an interview.. what do u think abt this ?
2) I have heard that US B-schools are not much bothered about international work exposure the way european schools are ?
3) Can you suggest me other b-schools ( US or Non US ) for consulting, stratagy and marketing ?
4) Which bschools give higher importance at the cost of decent score ( i mean if i land up between 640-680 , what should my options be )

I know i am asking too many questions before GMAT scores itself , but the reason to know all this is that i want to understand whether i should delay my GMAT untill i reach 700+ in my mocks or should i give it and move on. I would also add here that i am a non IT guy having undergrads in Business Management.

A few of my friends ( current students ) opined that your higher work experience may help you even if you score in the range of 640-680 , but i am really very confused.

thanks very much once again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks very much for giving me insighful picture. No worries/

I shall really be obliged if you can address a few more questions
haha these are a few questions, try to help out...
1) I am scoring an average of 640 in my mocks right now.. i am not appearing for GMAT because i am sure if my GMAT is less then 700,then INSEAD may not even call me for an interview.. what do u think abt this ? mate...I don’t know...it would depend on your overall application...from what you told me about your int’national exposure, etc, I think you’d need to be thinking about a 680 gmat and up to get an interview call...but these things are never 100% certain...
2) I have heard that US B-schools are not much bothered about international work exposure the way european schools are ? Sorry don’t know much about US Schools – I prefer Europe 
3) Can you suggest me other b-schools ( US or Non US ) for consulting, stratagy and marketing ? mmm as mentioned, Europe, LSB or IE< but I am not an expert on that, I really focused on INSEAD – it’s the only School I applied for.
4) Which bschools give higher importance at the cost of decent score ( i mean if i land up between 640-680 , what should my options be ) – well, you might be thinking about Schools out of the top-10, or maybe lifting your application with all the extra gmat issues.

I know i am asking too many questions before GMAT scores itself , but the reason to know all this is that i want to understand whether i should delay my GMAT untill i reach 700+ in my mocks or should i give it and move on. I would also add here that i am a non IT guy having undergrads in Business Management.
My advise is to start from the other side: to decide first what MBA you want to do; and once you are focused on that, you can research what does that specific school/s focus on...

A few of my friends ( current students ) opined that your higher work experience may help you even if you score in the range of 640-680 , but i am really very confused.
It does help, again, they really look at your overall application, otherwise they would just ask you for your gmat score and don’t even bother about anything else...obviously they have boundaries and, for example, the INSEAD will prefer not to take a 620 gmat, but it could happen in the extreme...

thanks very much once again. No worries. Sorry if I cannot help you further. Good luck. Cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Goldfinger wrote:

1) I think , the admissions process is not such a simple ball game, which can be standardized so easily. You GMAT score is just a component in this puzzle. Its not an ends in itself.

2) Secondly if have a Part time Diplona from IIM Calcutta, use it. You have invested your time outside work to study. Whether you have used it in your job currently or not is secondary. Your motivation to study at ur own time atleast comes out when you show this. Your essays are independent of your academic profile and what you chose to delibirate on is your prerogative.

3) This is Jan 2011 intake forum, the admissions to which are now closed. Your query here isnt the right place. It should be placed in a fresh discussion or in Sep 2011 intake if you plan to apply in Sep 2011.

4) Well INSEAD cares about international work experience, but if you dont have it its not an ends . I have come across students who dont have such an experience but still make it to European Business Schools , LBS or INSEAD. If you have worked with international customers even in India , you should have gained experience. And if you havent dont that.. Dont let that discourage you. I doubt INSEAD has ever said categorically that it wont admit you if you dont have x years of international experience.

5) What schools you should apply to depends on what you want to do, and what your professional and academic profile is? Whether you want to be in a one year or 2 year program. Whether you want to remain focussed on Finance, or GM, or Entrepreurship or Operations. Its an open ended question and no one can give you a specific answer here. Someone who gives u an answer really doesnt know it himself :)

Finally my only advice to you focus on your GMAT first. Dont have too many things to do at once. Take it one step at a time. Get done with your GMAT, focus on your recos, and essays. And then look at the interview if you get shortlisted.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
Goldfinger wrote:

1) I think , the admissions process is not such a simple ball game, which can be standardized so easily. You GMAT score is just a component in this puzzle. Its not an ends in itself.

2) Secondly if have a Part time Diplona from IIM Calcutta, use it. You have invested your time outside work to study. Whether you have used it in your job currently or not is secondary. Your motivation to study at ur own time atleast comes out when you show this. Your essays are independent of your academic profile and what you chose to delibirate on is your prerogative.

3) This is Jan 2011 intake forum, the admissions to which are now closed. Your query here isnt the right place. It should be placed in a fresh discussion or in Sep 2011 intake if you plan to apply in Sep 2011.

4) Well INSEAD cares about international work experience, but if you dont have it its not an ends . I have come across students who dont have such an experience but still make it to European Business Schools , LBS or INSEAD. If you have worked with international customers even in India , you should have gained experience. And if you havent dont that.. Dont let that discourage you. I doubt INSEAD has ever said categorically that it wont admit you if you dont have x years of international experience.

5) What schools you should apply to depends on what you want to do, and what your professional and academic profile is? Whether you want to be in a one year or 2 year program. Whether you want to remain focussed on Finance, or GM, or Entrepreurship or Operations. Its an open ended question and no one can give you a specific answer here. Someone who gives u an answer really doesnt know it himself :)

Finally my only advice to you focus on your GMAT first. Dont have too many things to do at once. Take it one step at a time. Get done with your GMAT, focus on your recos, and essays. And then look at the interview if you get shortlisted.

Thanks very much bhatiagp

i really appreciate your advice and will surely work on the dynamics suggested by you.

Thanks very much for sharing yr opinion... hope to see you in future if i am shortlisted :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:LBS (dinged), INSEAD (Jan.2011)
Send PM
Did anyone already receive feedback on the INSEAD scholarships? I think some should have already been due and communicated... Just curious...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The R3 final decision notifications must have started coming out.....anyone got a call yet?
Intern
Intern
Schools:Insead - Jan 2011 R3
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Just got a call from SH....am in!!!!!! Whew....

Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In Europe the calls have already started.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
Calls have started coming in Asia as well. Just got mine :) Starting in Singapore campus.

Good luck to all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I'm in! See you around in Fonty, I will be the Polish guy with pointy hair :)
good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys. Congrats on all those who have heard already. Has anyone that has heard already have IRamos as their coordinator?

Also anyone based in the mid-east heard anything?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone heard from Anne-Marie?
Intern
Intern
Send PM