Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
RogerDodger wrote:
I'm inclined to believe it. Hopefully that increases my chances :-D

I think gmatclub traffic may be down more than applications are, although I would gladly accept a 50% reduction in application volume. :-D
Current Student
Send PM
mc wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

I think gmatclub traffic may be down more than applications are, although I would gladly accept a 50% reduction in application volume. :-D

Maybe the better correlation is, a 50% reduction of "well-prepared" applicants (i.e. GClubbers)... I'll take it! :beer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Doesn't surprise me. Wasn't the increase attributed to the economy sliding? Seems like we're in a period of relatively stability now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
You can also add me for R1.

RogerDodger wrote:
mc wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

Maybe the better correlation is, a 50% reduction of "well-prepared" applicants (i.e. GClubbers)... I'll take it! :beer
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
method wrote:
Doesn't surprise me. Wasn't the increase attributed to the economy sliding? Seems like we're in a period of relatively stability now.

What about changes in GMATClub's roll call enrollments and reporting? People enter data into spreadsheets unlike last year when people posted in individual posts that they could scrub easily. This lack of control may be uncomfortable for some and thereby decrease reporting rates.

Dunno. A lot of variables could influence app rates. Too early to lose or raise hopes for anything really.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Forum participation is likely to increase now that we're in Round 1 waiting mode. People tend to be a little more chatty once they finish working on their applications and they're left with the nervousness of waiting for an interview invitation :)

That said - it does look like forum participation is down by some percentage this year. I'll be curious to see if any schools report a significant decline in round 1 application volume.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Do you know when do they start sending responses to people that are not invited for interview?
Current Student
Send PM
ankateif wrote:
Do you know when do they start sending responses to people that are not invited for interview?

Last year people started hearing about invites/dings around the second week of December.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Guys, is it ok to include letters of recognition from work, or other documents that support one's candidacy as supplemental information? Do these work or may hurt?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
That said - it does look like forum participation is down by some percentage this year. I'll be curious to see if any schools report a significant decline in round 1 application volume.

Would schools report this right after R1? I'd imagine they might wait until the entire application season is over. Of course, any information would be great to know! :)
Director
Director
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:

Would schools report this right after R1? I'd imagine they might wait until the entire application season is over. Of course, any information would be great to know! :)

I think I remember them reporting big changes in volume in the middle of the app season over the past two years. It's a pretty common question in interviews, so hopefully ClearAdmit or some other source will dig out an answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
No one has any answers for the following? :P

rid82 wrote:
1) About the cover letter, we are required to "Describe your accomplishments and include an example of how you had an impact on a group or organization".
The issue I see is that I may overlap my accomplishments written in the CL with the essays' stories. For example, one of my accomplishments fits perfectly well in the essay question 3. And it is likely that in the 2nd question I will use another of my accomplishments described in the CL.

Should I use different strategy? or it is fine to repeat things? Could I write something like "please see question 3 for more detail"?

2) I have a big story for question 1, but the problem is that it occurred 5 years ago. However, it had great impact in myself, personally and professionally. In fact, my career has been influenced for that decision and I think it is essential to write about it as it shows them a lot about who am I.

Do you think it will be a big issue to write about something that happened out of the 3-years period? I could use the additional essay to explain why I decided to write about it.

3) I have a third recommender that I'd like to add in the application. Do you think the fact of using an extra recommender may hurt me or otherwise help me?

4) About the 50 lines of the CV, it does include the "empty lines" or only the written ones? Do you think it is fine to go over the limit a bit? I have 54 written lines of the CV submitted for other schools...

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB
Send PM
Kudos
See below

rid82 wrote:
No one has any answers for the following? :P

rid82 wrote:
1) About the cover letter, we are required to "Describe your accomplishments and include an example of how you had an impact on a group or organization".
The issue I see is that I may overlap my accomplishments written in the CL with the essays' stories. For example, one of my accomplishments fits perfectly well in the essay question 3. And it is likely that in the 2nd question I will use another of my accomplishments described in the CL.

Should I use different strategy? or it is fine to repeat things? Could I write something like "please see question 3 for more detail"?

As an applicant, your strategy would be better if you dont repeat information. You will come across as a candidate with more breadth this way. Alternatively, you could state a high level accomplishment with impact quantified and get into specifics for one of the essays.
Eg: accomp in CL: Led a team of XX people to deliver a product Y and generate $XXX for my company Z. In the essay, you could talk about a specific phase of the project where you took an initiative on an idea and implemented it. Also, I would keep all the essays and CL self-sustaining (no explicit references to other essays).

2) I have a big story for question 1, but the problem is that it occurred 5 years ago. However, it had great impact in myself, personally and professionally. In fact, my career has been influenced for that decision and I think it is essential to write about it as it shows them a lot about who am I.Do you think it will be a big issue to write about something that happened out of the 3-years period? I could use the additional essay to explain why I decided to write about it.

I would try not to violate the 3 year rule that they explicitly ask. However, I'd make an exception only if the experience is really profound and once again, really really profound. Try to show continuity of that incident into the last 3 years. Otherwise, refrain from using the story.

3) I have a third recommender that I'd like to add in the application. Do you think the fact of using an extra recommender may hurt me or otherwise help me?

A good recommendation at best, retains or very marginally improves your chances that stem from your application. A bad recommendation can decrease them. So, a 3rd reco is of not much help. Just avoid it.

4) About the 50 lines of the CV, it does include the "empty lines" or only the written ones? Do you think it is fine to go over the limit a bit? I have 54 written lines of the CV submitted for other schools...

Not sure about this one

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
rid82 wrote:

Are you using a font size > 10? If not, I'd recommend switching to size 11 (font: Times New Roman, Arial or some other standard professional font) and then checking whether you can fit all your content on one page. I don't think going to 54 lines is too bad (my resume's at 51), but make sure your font isn't too small or that your margins aren't too narrow. Ultimately, the resume needs to be readable and professional-looking too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 2: 680
Send PM
In for Round 1 also.

Someone wrote that the volume of applications is down this year. Are there any more information to confirm this?
Director
Director
Send PM
rid82 wrote:

This has previously been discussed here: calling-all-mit-sloan-fall-2011-applicants-98675-80.html#p791379
Director
Director
Send PM
rvs wrote:
In for Round 1 also.

Someone wrote that the volume of applications is down this year. Are there any more information to confirm this?

To my knowledge, it has only been speculated that application volume might be down this year. Considering most schools have just barely passed their Round 1 deadline, it's too early for official numbers to floating around. If we find any official reports to confirm/deny this, we'll share it with everyone.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  108   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts