Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 18:43 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 18:43
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: 2010 Businessweek Rankings [#permalink]
WUSTL and Maryland got beaten with a stick. Stern took an ugly one too...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Kudos
Just more evidence that rankings don't actually mean anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
1. There is NO WAY that MIT is #10.

2. Thank you for putting Cornell above Tuck (even though I question that) :P

3. Sorry to Cox alumni but Cox can't be higher than Tuck and Stern.
Current Student
Send PM
chostein wrote:
1. There is NO WAY that MIT is #10.

2. Thank you for putting Cornell above Tuck (even though I question that) :P

3. Sorry to Cox alumni but Cox can't be higher than Tuck and Stern.

well they have their own formula and we dont... it is always best to just take the average of the rankings and go from there - or take out the best and worst ranking per school and avg the rest scores...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Frankly, if my MBA gets me a legal, 6-figure job, I am happy regardless of the school name :P
Current Student
Send PM
chostein wrote:
Frankly, if my MBA gets me a legal, 6-figure job, I am happy regardless of the school name :P

i doubt it. especially after finding out your friend making a lot more at same position from a higher ranking school :p.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Mmmm...
Post MBA pay for Tuck is 105,000 and 81,000 for Cox...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Cox starting salaries are $20,000+ below most of the top 20 schools, and that's only for the 2/3rds(!!!) of them that actually get jobs! Yet somehow they're right in the middle of the pack?

Also NYU drops 5 spots to #18 while USNWR has them moving up to #9 -- I can see different methodologies, but something this divergent makes my head scratch. Perhaps its because of the financial crisis, but still the job offers is at 90% and the salary is still 6-figures so I don't get it...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Cox starting salaries are $20,000+ below most of the top 20 schools, and that's only for the 2/3rds(!!!) of them that actually get jobs! Yet somehow they're right in the middle of the pack?

Also NYU drops 5 spots to #18 while USNWR has them moving up to #9 -- I can see different methodologies, but something this divergent makes my head scratch. Perhaps its because of the financial crisis, but still the job offers is at 90% and the salary is still 6-figures so I don't get it...

Most of the swings in BW rankings are being driven by their student/recruiter surveys, which they do not disclose methodologies for. That black box accounts for all the volatility and no one knows what is happening inside it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
money isnt everything!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:

Sure -- but geeze when 1/3rd of the class doesn't have a job at all upon graduation that has to raise some eyebrows. I can find 13 schools better than one that only places 66% of its people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
shaselai wrote:

but it sure buys a bunch of things :lol: :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
BW Rankings are a joke, nothing new here. However, I wasn't expecting anything as ridiculous as putting SMU (Cox) in the top 15. Now the rankings aren't even credible enough to provoke some friendly debate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Kudos
Rankings don't tell you anything if you don't understand the methodology behind those rankings. BW assigns 45% weightage to student perception of their program and 45% to recruiter perception of programs they have actively recruited from. So all this ranking really shows is how happy students are with the program they are attending and how happy recruiters are with the schools they recruit from. If recruiter A rates Cox 10/10 in comparison to her experience at Mendoza and recruiter B rates NYU 7/10 in comparison to his experience at Harvard, does that really tell you anything about the difference between the four schools? Not really. If students at Fuqua rate their program as 8.5/10 and students at MIT rate their program as 8/10 does this tell you that Fuqua is better than MIT? Not really, because the students are not comparing the two schools they're just assigning a rating to their own school. All the BW ranking shows is how happy students are with their OWN program and how happy recruiters are with a school in comparison to other schools THEY HAVE RECRUITED from. The BW ranking system would be more useful if applied to schools that are already grouped by tier based on more scientific ranking methodology i.e comparing just Tier 1 schools among each other, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
hence it is completely useless!
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
staind wrote:
Rankings don't tell you anything if you don't understand the methodology behind those rankings. BW assigns 45% weightage to student perception of their program and 45% to recruiter perception of programs they have actively recruited from. So all this ranking really shows is how happy students are with the program they are attending and how happy recruiters are with the schools they recruit from. If recruiter A rates Cox 10/10 in comparison to her experience at Mendoza and recruiter B rates NYU 7/10 in comparison to his experience at Harvard, does that really tell you anything about the difference between the four schools? Not really. If students at Fuqua rate their program as 8.5/10 and students at MIT rate their program as 8/10 does this tell you that Fuqua is better than MIT? Not really, because the students are not comparing the two schools they're just assigning a rating to their own school. All the BW ranking shows is how happy students are with their OWN program and how happy recruiters are with a school in comparison to other schools THEY HAVE RECRUITED from. The BW ranking system would be more useful if applied to schools that are already grouped by tier based on more scientific ranking methodology i.e comparing just Tier 1 schools among each other, etc.

why do they survey schools' own students?? Schools can potentially tell the students that giving 10/10 will be beneficial to them since they will get a higher ranking. Ergo, the lower-ranked the school is, the more incentive it has to push its students to give 10/10, and more likely schools like SMU can end up in top 15. I just don't understand why BW does not even modify or correct its methodologies when the end result doesn't even pass the laugh test. Way to establish credibility for BW. Btw, who really reads bw for actual news and analysis?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 522 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
staind wrote:

why do they survey schools' own students?? Schools can potentially tell the students that giving 10/10 will be beneficial to them since they will get a higher ranking. Ergo, the lower-ranked the school is, the more incentive it has to push its students to give 10/10, and more likely schools like SMU can end up in top 15. I just don't understand why BW does not even modify or correct its methodologies when the end result doesn't even pass the laugh test. Way to establish credibility for BW. Btw, who really reads bw for actual news and analysis?

By the same token, the "better" schools should be giving themselves 10/10 as well so they don't lose out to the lower-ranked schools. Adding to your point, everyone would be getting 10/10's and this stat would be irrelevant. However, this is not the case. The "better" schools are not getting 10/10 for some reason.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4