Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: FROM 390 TO 600 IS IT POSSIBLE IN 3 WEEKS ?? [#permalink]
Such a huge score increase in just three weeks is unlikely. You generally have the right idea (focus on weaknesses, math tutor, etc.), but it's still asking a lot to score a 600 in such a short timeframe. It's possible, but quite risky.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Don't waste time taking a test every other day--learn how to do the work. Memorize all your necessary formulas, all the algebra and geometry rules, learn how to break down and analyze an argument, learn how to spot sentence correction errors, etc. I mentioned it in someone else's post, but trying to improve a low GMAT score by taking tests would be like trying to improve a beginner's golf game by playing 3 rounds a day. You'd be better off going to the driving range and hitting a few hundred of each type of possible shot with every club in your bag...or in your case, learning how to work all the types of problems then working lots of practice ones so you can pinpoint your weaknesses.

You mentioned the Manhattan Books--use them. They will start you off with the absolute basics, but you'll learn how to do all the problems and recognize common patterns and disguises the GMAT uses to make easy problems look hard.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Hi!

You may know: impossible is nothing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHmV0s3PjE&feature=fvst

You may achieve a 200 points increase (It took me about 3 months), but I am doubt whether you will be able to progress in 3 weeks when I have read this:
Quote:
I have just taken my 2nd diagnostic test and scored the same score as 2 months ago 390

So, you will need a 2-3 months of solid preparation to break the 600 level. Consider an on-line course.

Your verbal score may seem to be more or less good if you are an international student.
Your quantative score is very low, perhaps you lack some very basic math concepts.

Keep your error log, it will definitively help you.

To repond your question:

Quote:
What minimum ( Q and V ) would I have to get?

Read my thread and download the XLS table here all-gmat-scores-92159.html

for this:
Quote:
can I aim for a very high verbal and medium math score to get an overall average of 600 ??

No! Business schools are looking for balanced scores.

And this:
Quote:
The V & M are equally weighted right?

NO! Follow the link bb has provided you and you will see that percentile scale for Verbal and quantative score of 40 is very different.

Good luck and don't hurry up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
Hi!

You may know: impossible is nothing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHmV0s3PjE&feature=fvst

You may achieve a 200 points increase (It took me about 3 months), but I am doubt whether you will be able to progress in 3 weeks when I have read this:
Quote:
I have just taken my 2nd diagnostic test and scored the same score as 2 months ago 390

So, you will need a 2-3 months of solid preparation to break the 600 level. Consider an on-line course.

Your verbal score may seem to be more or less good if you are an international student.
Your quantative score is very low, perhaps you lack some very basic math concepts.

Keep your error log, it will definitively help you.

To repond your question:

Quote:
What minimum ( Q and V ) would I have to get?

Read my thread and download the XLS table here all-gmat-scores-92159.html

for this:
Quote:
can I aim for a very high verbal and medium math score to get an overall average of 600 ??

No! Business schools are looking for balanced scores.

And this:
Quote:
The V & M are equally weighted right?

NO! Follow the link bb has provided you and you will see that percentile scale for Verbal and quantative score of 40 is very different.

Good luck and don't hurry up.

Great advice!
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
i would re-schedule, i think you will burn yourself out doing 8 hrs a day, you already missed most Rd2 windows, if possible why not pace it out, take an online course or in-person course, knock it out in 4-5 months and then apply round 1 next year

im sorry its going rough but at that crazy pace you will be burnt out and panicky and depending on your goals you can probably spare yourself that experience
Intern
Intern
Send PM
the deadline for 1 of the business School is on the 31st of Jan so will have to take the risk & see if I get 500 plus at least. Does the score corresponds to the average of questions answered correctly in one partcular range ( e.g 500 - 600 )??

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
donmass31 wrote:
the deadline for 1 of the business School is on the 31st of Jan so will have to take the risk & see if I get 500 plus at least. Does the score corresponds to the average of questions answered correctly in one partcular range ( e.g 500 - 600 )??

did you find the information about useful for you?! - if yes, read this https://gmatclub.com/forum/kudos-what-ar ... 94812.html

you may risk and try. nothing will happen.

No it does not correspond.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see, the first questions in each section have a greater weighted average of the overall score / range right?

Also what kind of strategy or technique would you guys reccomend here's few strategies I come up with , tell me what you think?

Math part :

Strategy 1
1) Read Once the question and understand what is asking me for
2) Make an illustration ( with data) or algebrac expression with data
3) Solve the problem

Strategy 2
1) Skim read through the question to see what kind of area/ concept
2) Read once more and take nots of data
3) Solve the problem

Strategy 3 ( more time efficient but might be likely to make mistakes)
1) As I read take notes of main data
2) Understand what is the question
3) solve the problem

Also, would you reccomend to focus to get the first 24 questions right at a range between ( 300 - 600) would that allow my score to be within that desired range allowing that I do relatively well in the verbal. If you could give me some more tips on exam strategy and what different techniques I could use. You said that it's not about how many questions you get right in one desired range so how exactly do they calculate your given range then ? And to what extent do percentages ( or estimates) for the first few questions in each section affect your final result ?

Any tips would be appreciated guys,
x
Director
Director
Send PM
I think you're overthinking this way too much. You don't need to have a defined strategy to apply to the whole test--different problems will demand different approaches. Have you picked up any of the study books (MGMAT, Kaplan, Princeton, etc.) or are you still doing nothing but CAT exams and OG problems?

You want to get as many questions correct as possible. You do that by quickly answering questions within your difficulty range and not wasting 5 minutes trying to solve questions beyond your level. Yes, the first handful of questions are important, but not important enough for you to spend so much time on them that you have to skip or rush through the last 5 in each section. There's nothing special about the first 24 questions in a 300-600 range or anything like that.

The score algorithm is pretty complicated and not worth worrying about too much. If you get a bunch of questions right, the upcoming questions will get harder to try to zero in on your specific score potential, but every now and then you'll still see an easy question thrown in. The opposite is true too--if you get a bunch wrong, things will get easier, but you still may see a 780-level question pop up. Your performance on the first handful of questions will likely set a ceiling on the highest potential score you could get in that section, but your performance on the rest of the section still obviously matters.

The bottom line is that you want to maximize your correct answers and make sure you don't leave any unanswered. You do that by being able to recognize what the question is asking and how it can be simplified...i.e. this one is actually just a confusing way of asking an "a squared minus b squared" question, that one is basing its conclusion on these faulty premises, etc. You do that by learning the basics of math and verbal cold so you don't have to struggle to remember your geometry, algebra, exponent, etc. rules and shortcuts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see your way of thinking once I have a solid base.. I can then recognize quickly what the question is asking and what answers I can eliminate.. by reasoning.

I'm using Manahattan & other CAT's available, a little bit of OG and the McGraw Hill as well. The first two are useful for practice and the last gives me clear explanations. Do you think I should replace the McGraw HIll with another preferred guide like the Manhattan to learn new strategies>? Or foucs on as much as practice as possible on CAT's and OG ?x
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
donmass31 wrote:
I see your way of thinking once I have a solid base.. I can then recognize quickly what the question is asking and what answers I can eliminate.. by reasoning.

I'm using Manahattan & other CAT's available, a little bit of OG and the McGraw Hill as well. The first two are useful for practice and the last gives me clear explanations. Do you think I should replace the McGraw HIll with another preferred guide like the Manhattan to learn new strategies>? Or foucs on as much as practice as possible on CAT's and OG ?x

Please see these threads, they will help you to orient in your GMAT jorney:
Study plan: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
Best books(review): best-gmat-books-77703.html
All practice tests: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?highlight=ml502 One of the most realiable tests is GMATprep - download it from mba.com

Gmatclub tests: hardest quantative problems for 48+ score https://gmatclub.com/tests/

On-line courses from different companies: gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the links, will have a look now,

Is the AWA compulsory and can we skip it on the test day ? Also would that affect the final score?
( the business schools I'm applying to do not consider it) just wondering whether it's worth taking it for future reference maybe.x
Director
Director
Send PM
Again, I would say do fewer CAT exams and OG questions and instead spend your time going back through the books that teach you how to do the basics, and then work up from there. The main advantages of a CAT exam are to give you periodic diagnostics and get you used to the stress of 4 straight hours of heavy thinking. You've already done that several times over, so focus on learning now.

I wouldn't recommend skipping the AWA. It won't have any effect on your quant or verbal score, but it doesn't take much effort to get a 5.0 or higher, and you never know what schools you may want to apply to at some point. And even if a school says they don't consider AWA scores, I doubt they would look favorably on a 0 or 1.0.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
emont wrote:
Again, I would say do fewer CAT exams and OG questions and instead spend your time going back through the books that teach you how to do the basics, and then work up from there. The main advantages of a CAT exam are to give you periodic diagnostics and get you used to the stress of 4 straight hours of heavy thinking. You've already done that several times over, so focus on learning now.

I wouldn't recommend skipping the AWA. It won't have any effect on your quant or verbal score, but it doesn't take much effort to get a 5.0 or higher, and you never know what schools you may want to apply to at some point. And even if a school says they don't consider AWA scores, I doubt they would look favorably on a 0 or 1.0.

I agree! Not considering an AWA 5.0 is different from not considering an AWA 1.0. It will just show that you cant write. There is no shortcut to success, no magic pills--structured hard work and a solid strategy are the only ways you can raise your score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see,

but is the AWA compulsory ? or can I skip it so I can focus my energy for theQ & V.
you said that it doesn't affect the Q & V,what about the overall score?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
No it doesnt affect your overall score, but it is highly unadvisable that you do that. Other members have clearly stated that in previous posts.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see,

I 'm looking at some of the basic concepts from Manhattan and find it very useful.. I wish I used only Manhattan from the very start instead of other books.

Regarding the OG book is there any sessions I could skip or focus on?

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts