Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 23:19 It is currently 01 May 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink]
GooglePlus wrote:
Sampo wrote:
My guess is that the acceptance rate of interviewed candidates will drop a little bit this year because they have the 2+2 application open for the other rounds. I bet there will be a significant amount of waitlisters from the summer interviews to make up the difference, though.

Interesting... so assuming minimal change in class size, how many admits do you think will come out of the summer round? I'd say probably 50. That leaves another 60 or so split between the two rounds. Thoughts?

I doubt they will take 50 from the summer round, but the more they take, the higher our chances :-D . I read the directors blog from Feb when she introduced the new 2+2 saying the class size would be around 125-140 since your combining seniors with juniors. so taking 50 from summer would mean taking just 25-30 for the next three rounds (not two) with a higher applicant pool. I assume here that more people will apply in R1/2/3 than the summer round.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yup three rounds not two 02163
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rpsingh wrote:
GooglePlus wrote:
Sampo wrote:
My guess is that the acceptance rate of interviewed candidates will drop a little bit this year because they have the 2+2 application open for the other rounds. I bet there will be a significant amount of waitlisters from the summer interviews to make up the difference, though.

Interesting... so assuming minimal change in class size, how many admits do you think will come out of the summer round? I'd say probably 50. That leaves another 60 or so split between the two rounds. Thoughts?

I doubt they will take 50 from the summer round, but the more they take, the higher our chances :-D . I read the directors blog from Feb when she introduced the new 2+2 saying the class size would be around 125-140 since your combining seniors with juniors. so taking 50 from summer would mean taking just 25-30 for the next three rounds (not two) with a higher applicant pool. I assume here that more people will apply in R1/2/3 than the summer round.

Yeah I think there are a lot of people applying during round 1...In fact most of the people I know are... But every round is competitive and we really don't know what would happen..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
The summer round is the precedent for applying 2+2, so I would think that most of the 2+2 candidates this year would have applied summer round (especially the candidates who were interested in 2+2 since the summer round was the only official option). Replies in this forum suggest that many more will be applying round 1. I then think that most of the R2 and R3 2+2ers will be college seniors who found out about this program relatively last minute.

I think that there will be more applications this year because of the seniors finding out about 2+2 last minute that would have otherwise assumed that they have "missed the boat".

So all in all, assuming ~130 admits as this forum suggests, here is my guesstimate:

Summer:
450 Applicants
60 Admits

Round 1
400 Applicants
55 Admits

Round 2
125 Applicants
12 Admits

Round 3
25 Applicants
3 Admits
Manager
Manager
Send PM
toucan47 wrote:
The summer round is the precedent for applying 2+2, so I would think that most of the 2+2 candidates this year would have applied summer round (especially the candidates who were interested in 2+2 since the summer round was the only official option). Replies in this forum suggest that many more will be applying round 1. I then think that most of the R2 and R3 2+2ers will be college seniors who found out about this program relatively last minute.

I think that there will be more applications this year because of the seniors finding out about 2+2 last minute that would have otherwise assumed that they have "missed the boat".

So all in all, assuming ~130 admits as this forum suggests, here is my guesstimate:

Summer:
450 Applicants
60 Admits

Round 1
400 Applicants
55 Admits

Round 2
125 Applicants
12 Admits

Round 3
25 Applicants
3 Admits

This is very likely the case. Ideally...

HBS might however take 60 out of the first 450 and later find that there are only 400 people applying during the next 3 rounds and thus had to take 70-80 out of the remaining applicants from the other 3 rounds (very unlikely though).

Or they might take 60 out of the first 450 and find they have 900 applicants for the 1st round, from which they could only take 40-50 because they might think there will be similar amount of people applying in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

But since almost all the admission officers at HBS went to HBS, I believe that they are very good at making estimations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Like I said earlier, I have a feeling they might hedge their bets by waitlisting a lot of promising applicants from summer (Who may have been accepted right off in another year) and then admitting more depending on how many applicants they get in the other rounds. But hey, I'm not on the adcom, so I have no idea.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Sampo wrote:
Like I said earlier, I have a feeling they might hedge their bets by waitlisting a lot of promising applicants from summer (Who may have been accepted right off in another year) and then admitting more depending on how many applicants they get in the other rounds. But hey, I'm not on the adcom, so I have no idea.

I think that you are right to an extent.

However, given that HBS is aware of all of their 2+2 promotional activities and is aware of 2+2's past in it's entirety, I think that they probably have somewhat of an idea as to the relative amount of applications for each round. At least a few applicants will probably be WL'd that wouldn't have in the past. Whether or not this happens to a significant extent is something that we will have to wait and see.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
toucan47 wrote:
Sampo wrote:

I think that you are right to an extent.

However, given that HBS is aware of all of their 2+2 promotional activities and is aware of 2+2's past in it's entirety, I think that they probably have somewhat of an idea as to the relative amount of applications for each round. At least a few applicants will probably be WL'd that wouldn't have in the past. Whether or not this happens to a significant extent is something that we will have to wait and see.

Right we have to see. I asked the representative from HBS when they visited my campus and they told me that they would rarely give out waitlist for 2+2 program...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anyone not from the US here?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Yeah, and another advantage on the diversity front is, they're more likely to pick the people they know have applied for sure than wait for the other rounds to see if a similar candidate will apply. But that's just me guesstimating. No idea if that's actually happening.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys one week! haha. I don't know what to feel anymore haha
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I know, right? Lol. I'm having regular intervals of freaking out, staying calm and just plain going crazy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
try saying aal izz well
SVP
SVP
Send PM
HAHA. I wish, really. Lol.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I found it hard to keep my essays under the word limits. How many words did you write for the accomplishments essays?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello everyone,
I am almost a newbie to this forum when it comes to posting. Have been following the blog for a couple of months now.

I have a comparative poor college profile and was hoping to get some advice on whether i should even consider applying. I was very active in my school life and took part in lots of inter and intra school competitions in areas as wide as throwball(many might not know the sport :oops: ) to debates and quizzes. And even took part in Rangoli and other art competitions, as well as performing arts like dance and drama. However, that was all in my school life.

Now I am studying in Jadavpur University(its among the top 15 colleges in India for Engineering) and pursuing a Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology. My GPA so far has been fair enough (its 8.6/10.0). But as there werent too many avenues to pursue co-curriculars in my college, I havent taken part in anything worth mentioning (A few cultural shows and a debate competition). Though, I started interning at a small IT firm in my first year itself. They wanted to start up a new mobile development department and didnt have anyone willing to take the time and effort required in the R&D. And they couldnt find any candidates worth hiring either. I had always had a lot of enthusiasm for technology and thought i had nothing to lose in taking a chance. Therefore, I started reading up and learning on iPhone software development (This was around the time the iPhone had just launched and hence there were few articles or books to refer). It took me a while, but I finally got a hang of the entire process and we started taking up projects for clients. Gradually, we started getting more and more opportunities and project offers and now the department is one of the most profitable and active in the company. I also dealt with clients, prepared proposals, took interviews for potential co-workers(without myself having ever given one :twisted: ) and even supervised the Android developers in the company. In the process, learning a lot about leadership and running an entire department.

Even though I wasn't active in college, I still maintained a good enough GPA and at the same time was interning or working part-time for the company all along. Whereas all my other peers were busy just attending classes and studying for the same (I never understood how people can just study and do nothing other than that. Apologies to anyone slighted by the comment.)

However, I am obviously biased and hence want an honest opinion on my chances. Please help me out one way or the other.

Thanks. :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
whats your gmat/ gre boss?? I think you have a very good profile with a lot of work experience- it shows a lot of leadership that you started the mobile dev in your company. you should apply if you even have a half decent GRE/ GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  24