Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll [#permalink]
how is a 720
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Dear fellow readers,

ThinkISB is back with a new persona: ThinkAdmit. along with the website, we've introduced some new services and are offering our services for all B-schools. We have got advisors from Kellogg, Chicago, Stern, INSEAD in addition to of course, ISB. We are doing free profile evaluations and target school feedback on this thread. Feel free to shoot your questions and we'll be glad to answer.
Send PM
reshsald wrote:
I am strongly considering applying for 2012 intake, however cant make up my mind wrt R1 or R2.... i havent taken GMAT yet... :S thus the dilemma...

Hi reshsald,

When is your GMAT? If you can keep 4-6 weeks aside for essays, that is a good enough time. In that case you can apply in R1. Or if you feel you don't need that much time for essays, even then you can attempt. So basically, try for R1, but do not rush and apply to R1 if you do not feel prepared.

Feel free to call us. We can discuss and assess your position and suggest you a timeline.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hello Everyone :)

It could of great help to me if any of you could share your views on my profile with respect to ISB.

Personal details:
Name: Mourya Vanama
Nationality: Indian

Qualifications:
Master of science in Automotive Engg ( From reputed uni in Sweden)
Grade: (4/5)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engg: From Above average uni in India
Grade:73%, First class with distinction

GMAT: 700 ( Q45 V40)

MBA :
Interested in General management

Geographical preference: USA and INDIA

Passions:
Automotive Engineering

Post MBA goals:

I am clear about my goals. I am confident of articulating them in my essays.

1. My vision is to reduce number of traffic related accidents and deaths in
developing countries such as India.
To decrease the pollution due to the vehicles
3. To improve road traffic discipline
2. I want to be a policy maker. I want to be a mediator between the
Government and the auto industry of India to encourage enforcement and
implementation of laws to achieve the above goal.

Extra curriculars and Achievements:

During Bachelors:

I initiated an international vehicle building project series. This was the first of its kind in the history of 20 years of my university

1. I was responsible for forming the team, managing the team, raising and
handling the funds, marketing of the project, resource management,
logistics etc.´
2. I was the team lead for the project.
3. At the age of 20 I was completely responsible for a project of worth 1.2 million rupees
worth 1.2 million Indian rupees. This was the most expensive student
project in my uni ever.
4. After building the vehicle the team along with the vehicle flew to South Africa for the competition.
5. Only team from the state, and one of the only 5 teams from the country
(India)

During masters (In Sweden):

I was a part of a multicultural team of 22 (members from 9 different nations) to build a class I formula race car. After building the race car we raced in Silverstone F1 Circuit. We were placed 15/125 teams internationally. A superb achievement for the team.

Extra curriculars apart from vehicle building:

1. I was volunteer for organizing inter college fests, blood donation
camps.
2. I was handling the catering department of my student hostel. I was
responsible for quality of food, reduction of food wastage ( which was a
main problem) and reduction of food cost to the students. I was successful
in achieving all my goals in this regards.
3. During masters, I was part of a team to raise funds to fight child
trafficking.
4. I am scout. But unfortunately I misplaced relevant certificates to prove
it.

International Work Exp (2.5 years until June 2012)

1st Job:
Project assistant in R&D center for vehicle and traffic safety. I was working for an European Union project (in the field of occupant safety). My job was to research, analyse and co ordinate with researchers from different countries to achieve the goals. I made a research and wrote a thesis on traffic related accidents. This thesis is the basis for my future goal. I basically researched about the
problems and difficulties in implementing the laws and encouraging people to follow.

2nd Job:
Project Engineer at R&D of Porsche AG, Germany
I am part of a team to identify, analyze and research on the potential problems that an occupant could face during the crash.

This is my profile. I request you to give me a candid response on whether my profile is competitive for ISB.Please shed some light on my application holistically (not only based on my work ex but also based on extra curriculars).

Thank you very much for your time
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
How does ISB place into IB front office in Bulge brackets such as GS, MS, JPM etc. in London/NY? Any idea on that from anybody who has researched it??
Send PM
mourya wrote:

It could of great help to me if any of you could share your views on my profile with respect to ISB.

Personal details:

Qualifications:

MBA :

Passions:
Automotive Engineering

Post MBA goals:

During Bachelors:

I initiated an international vehicle building project series. This was the first of its kind in the history of 20 years of my university

logistics etc.´
3. At the age of 20 I was completely responsible for a project of worth 1.2 million rupees
project in my uni ever.
4. After building the vehicle the team along with the vehicle flew to South Africa for the competition.
(India)

I was a part of a multicultural team of 22 (members from 9 different nations) to build a class I formula race car. After building the race car we raced in Silverstone F1 Circuit. We were placed 15/125 teams internationally. A superb achievement for the team.

camps.
trafficking.
it.

1st Job:
Project assistant in R&D center for vehicle and traffic safety. I was working for an European Union project (in the field of occupant safety). My job was to research, analyse and co ordinate with researchers from different countries to achieve the goals. I made a research and wrote a thesis on traffic related accidents. This thesis is the basis for my future goal. I basically researched about the
problems and difficulties in implementing the laws and encouraging people to follow.

2nd Job:
I am part of a team to identify, analyze and research on the potential problems that an occupant could face during the crash.

This is my profile. I request you to give me a candid response on whether my profile is competitive for ISB.Please shed some light on my application holistically (not only based on my work ex but also based on extra curriculars).

Hi Mourya,

Here's a brief evaluation:

Career goals: Your vision is good to hear. At some level a connection can be made to your skills and experience. It'll all depend how well you make a coherent story in your essays by connecting it with the skills you have, what you will get from an MBA to what you actually intend to do post MBA rather than just stating your vision.

Academics: A not so strong area. GMAT 700 is less than ISB's average but not a concern... well average means just that... average. What does grade 4/5 mean in terms of rank/percentile? You can compensate for average acads by showing analytical skills in other areas for which I see a lot of scope in your profile.

Extra-currrics: Excellent. Not many people can show that kind of involvement and exposure. But please make sure that you highlight your role and impact effectively. Just saying that you managed the team is not enough... specify what was your role.

Work-ex: Good. Need more meat on leadership and some specifics on job role and achievements.

Overall, you have a good profile. The effectiveness of your profile cannot be displayed objectively, so you need to craft your essays very well so as to show the impact you've had in your work since undergrad. All the activities must connect to a common skill and form a coherent story.
Send PM
Anasthaesium wrote:
How does ISB place into IB front office in Bulge brackets such as GS, MS, JPM etc. in London/NY? Any idea on that from anybody who has researched it??

Hi Anasthaesium,

Traditionally, IB firms have a PPO model of recruitment. So a lot depends on the internship, that ISB, due to its one year course, does not have. So it's difficult for career switchers to move to IB. But GS, MS, JPM, DB, etc do recruit from ISB and people with similar background do manage to get in in their India/London office.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
thinkadmit wrote:
mourya wrote:

Personal details:

Qualifications:

MBA :

Passions:
Automotive Engineering

Post MBA goals:

During Bachelors:

logistics etc.´
project in my uni ever.
(India)

camps.
trafficking.
it.

1st Job:

2nd Job:

Hi Mourya,

Here's a brief evaluation:

Career goals: Your vision is good to hear. At some level a connection can be made to your skills and experience. It'll all depend how well you make a coherent story in your essays by connecting it with the skills you have, what you will get from an MBA to what you actually intend to do post MBA rather than just stating your vision.

Academics: A not so strong area. GMAT 700 is less than ISB's average but not a concern... well average means just that... average. What does grade 4/5 mean in terms of rank/percentile? You can compensate for average acads by showing analytical skills in other areas for which I see a lot of scope in your profile.

Extra-currrics: Excellent. Not many people can show that kind of involvement and exposure. But please make sure that you highlight your role and impact effectively. Just saying that you managed the team is not enough... specify what was your role.

Work-ex: Good. Need more meat on leadership and some specifics on job role and achievements.

Overall, you have a good profile. The effectiveness of your profile cannot be displayed objectively, so you need to craft your essays very well so as to show the impact you've had in your work since undergrad. All the activities must connect to a common skill and form a coherent story.

Hello Thinkadmit,

Thank you very much for the evaluating my profile and giving me suggestions:).. I will keep your advice in mind. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Schools: Tuck '14 ISB HKUST
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Can some1 please review my ISB essay? pm me if you are willing to help
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,
Requesting an opinion on my profile. My primary focus is ISB. I am also exploring options at IIMA, IIMB, INSEAD and HKUST.

GMAT score: 700 (Q 46/ V 41) AWS 6.0
Graduation: Mechanical engineering from University of Mysore with an aggregate of 68% passed out in 2001
Indian/ Male:
Work Experience: 9 yrs IT Leading a project with annual revenues of 1 million USD. 3 yrs of overseas experience in the US. I am a Certified Software Project Manager (Equivalent to PMI. Awarded by QAI)

Other Experience:
Involved in managing a small scale industry that was started by my mother to help provide employment to women at our native town. We manufature industrial and domestic cleansing agents, and soaps and detergent.

Was involved as a consultant in interviewing College graduates for the campus recruitment drive of one of the top IT companies in the country.

Was involved as a consultant in administering Pshychometric analysis for top executives of a large IT firm in India.

Extracurriculars:
I am an avid golfer. Play to an Handicap index of 7.9 (for non golfers, Handicap index indicates the proficiency of a golfer. Professional golfers in India play to a handicap index of 2.4 or less). Noteable thing with golf is that I reached HI of 7.9 within 2 yrs of my taking to the game which, according to golfers I have interacted with, is excellent. I am a self taught golfer. I have played on the Golf Channel Amateur tour in the US. Played 5 tournaments.

I have played Cricket at a competitive level (First Division State league for KSCA). Led multiple teams in the past 15 years.

I have been painting with Acrylics and Oils for many years (again a self taught painter. I have developed my own technique and style of painting). I sell some of my work at various forums.

Request feedback on my chances.

Regards
Srinivas
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
Hey Guys

Had a question about the Goals essay, ISB only asks for short term goals, but is it a good idea to mention a line or 2 about long term goal as well ?

I can think of positives and negatives of both the approaches, so thought would ask other's perspective..

Admission Consultants, please feel free to pitch in ....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hello people,

I wrote the GMAT today and got a 650, much lower than what I had expected.

My profile is as follows:
Indian Male/24/Mechanical Engineer from VIT, Vellore (2008 passout).
10th- 85%, 12th- 92%, BTech- 7.01 on 10.

I have had decent extra curriculars, with regular accolades in events like debates, quizzes and fest organizing.

I have been working in an international 2-wheeler manufacturing company since July 2008, and hence would be completing almost 4 years by the time of ISB admissions. My job profile has been that of Vehicle Homologation and Technical Regulations, involving interactions with the Indian Ministry and SIAM Technical forums. Being in a manufacturing company, I have had a good mixed experience of working with both the labour class and the technical heads of various automobile companies. I am also a TUV-certified ISO 9001:2008 internal auditor.

I was initially hoping to apply in R1 of ISB admissions, but now am doubtful because of my GMAT score.
My 2 options are:
1. I gamble on my profile and apply in R1.
2. I gamble on a 2nd GMAT attempt (by OCt 20), and hope to boost my score and apply in R2.

Provided I screw up again in my 2nd attempt, I might end up applying in the relatively tougher R2 with a score less than 700.

Kindly give your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross R2-- Admitted
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: IT Consulting
Send PM
Hey B-school Applicants,

For a limited time, a group of current MBA students at Ross (including myself) are reviewing application essays in return for a small donation to Make-A-Wish Foundation. If you're interested, find out more info at this other Gmatclub thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/essay-reviews-from-current-mba-students-119855.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all,

My background is as follows:

I completed my B.E in Computer Engineering from Mumbai University with a First Class in 2010.
Thereafter ive been working with my father and helping him manage his business in Africa(It's a Supermarket).

Now ive got a doubt:
Will this experience be relevant when i apply for an MBA to schools like ISB or any other Business School maybe after a year or so?

On most B-school websites they state that you need to have relevant work-ex. This being my family business, it's relevant to business, but i'm kinda confused whether this will help.

Can someone please shed some light onto this and give me some advice? Would be great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
any interview calls??????? I suppose by now they must have completed the application verification....assuming 5000 applicants (I have no clue about even the approximate number) - they would perhaps invite at least 1500 applicants for interviews? If they start on Oct 15th to start giving out invites, that means they are planning to cover 50 interviews in a day?
Rough estimate tells me that interview invites should have started flowing in, if not now, probably in another 5-6 days...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
am I in a wrong thread...this thread seems to be dead...any interview invites guys?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
I was wondering the same thing. It seems from the other forum, the interviews are underway. Just checking my emails now and then.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts