GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: ISB 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2011, 22:09
talk2vj wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. It seems from the other forum, the interviews are underway. Just checking my emails now and then.

which forum is this? i couldn't find anything
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2011, 23:43
themangoman wrote:
talk2vj wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. It seems from the other forum, the interviews are underway. Just checking my emails now and then.

which forum is this? i couldn't find anything

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/internati ... s-176.html

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2011, 11:39
Guys....how are we doing? Did anyone receive any interview call? It seems taht there are some activity and people are getting the interview calls.

My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2011, 11:53
talk2vj wrote:
Guys....how are we doing? Did anyone receive any interview call? It seems taht there are some activity and people are getting the interview calls.

Yes dude close to 300 people have already been invited for interviews and more are underway..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2011, 10:34
Good News for those who will get admission. See below.

Hyderabad, October 11, 2011: The Indian School of Business (ISB) today announced the doubling of its scholarships from rupees 4 crores to rupees 8 crores for the incoming class of 2013. Through this increased outlay, one in every seven students studying at the school will receive scholarships of 25%-50% of the total tuition fee. The scholarships will be awarded on both merit and financial need basis to outstanding students, selected on the basis of exceptional academic and professional performance as well as personal qualities such as leadership, integrity, and community service. Speaking on the increase in scholarships, Deepak Chandra, Deputy Dean, ISB, said, “We take great pride in the diversity of our students. The doubling of our scholarship outlay reaffirms our commitment of grooming future leaders by opening gateways to world-class management education. We are confident that our efforts will continue to reap results in terms of attracting the best talent as well as strengthening the brand ISB.” Entrepreneurial support with ‘Develop India’ Scholarship In addition to the above mentioned scholarships, students who aspire to start their own ventures also get support through the ‘Develop India’ scholarship. These scholarships are offered to aspiring entrepreneurs whose ideas are being incubated under the Entrepreneurs Development Initiative (EDI) at the Wadhwani Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (WCED) of the ISB. The scholarships cover the students’ loan EMI amount up to a period of two years. Other Corporate ScholarshipsApart from the ISB scholarships, several organizations such as Citi Foundation, Novartis, IBF, Talentia, La Caixa and Casa Asia provide a wide array of merit and need-based scholarships. The Novartis scholarship is specifically offered to encourage women students from small towns, while the Citi Foundation scholarship has been one of the longest running scholarships being awarded at the school. Now in its tenth year, the ISB’s Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) is expanding to be delivered in two locations – Hyderabad and Mohali. The intake for the next class will be for a single programme, across the two campuses. The combined class size is expected to increase from 560 to 770. Following ISB’s unique portfolio faculty model, top visiting and resident faculty will impart cutting-edge management practices at both locations. The two campuses will operate as a unified entity, with the same commitment to world-class programme design and delivery, and by effecting a seamless integration through inter-campus exchanges and virtual connectivity. The Mohali campus will also house four institutes focusing on the areas of Public Policy, Healthcare, Manufacturing and Infrastructure Management. Admissions are now open for the Class of 2013.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 22:15
It seems that we have few celebrated profiles that got interview calls. Can you please share your experience?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 22:19
themangoman wrote:
talk2vj wrote:

Yes dude close to 300 people have already been invited for interviews and more are underway..

I think it might be slightly easier to squeeze in an admit because they'll be increasing the class size, and no. of applicantions is expected to not change by much.

@themangoman & @talk2vj: Are you done with your interviews?

MBA Gunner - My Blog on GMAT, MBA and other random quests i'm currently undertaking

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 22:20
talk2vj wrote:
It seems that we have few celebrated profiles that got interview calls. Can you please share your experience?

Here goes my interview experience

Mine was scheduled at 11:40, ISB campus. I reached there at around 9:30, thinking that I will get some time to roam around the campus. It turned out that students were on vacations and most of them were not on campus.
So I waited at the reception with other students. I must say I met some fantastic profiles in that period, the more I think about those the less confident I get

My panels were running behind the schedule by almost an hour. One word of caution - your panel might change on the actual day - do not take the panel mentioned in your email to be sacrosanct. At around 10:20, I was asked to write an essay on 'Apathy' in 50-100 words. At 12:40 I was called inside the room. One lady and two gentlemen. The lady and one of the gentlemen were both alumni and the third gentleman was from the adcom.

When I entered, the lady told me that I have exactly 30 mins to convince her that I am a fit for ISB. She also said that they will listen to whatever I say. I looked at my watch and started with introduction. They stopped me and asked me to jump to my work experience/learnings at my job/ challenges etc. I started with those and then the usual job related cross questioning. So if I were to sum it up, following were the points of discussions during my interview :

1) What do you do in your job - DO NOT MENTION WHAT YOUR COMPANY DOES. It seemed to piss them off. Be precise and tell them what you do
2) What challenges did you face in your job - again if you are from consulting - do not give them the typical jargon - client expectations, pressure. All that is bullshit. They are seasoned professionals, they have been doing this for a long long time and they will straight away cut you right there. Talk about the challenges that YOU faced. As a developer, did you find a particular technology hard to integrate with a third party software? As a consultant, did you find it difficult to convince one of your customers that xyz process is the right approach?. How long have you been facing this challenge?
3) What have you done to overcome the challenge. Please no jargon again. What did YOU do. It might not be something "spectacular" or "eye-brow raising", but it has to be true and honest in terms of learnings.
4) Then we discussed my extracurricular activities ( I am a part of a band and have been performing in events/parties for a long time now) - how am i different from any guitarist?
5) Gave me a case on music marketing and event management.
6) Why the career goal? What thought process behind it? Is it connected with your UG and job?

All in all, please expect questions out of box. They questioned me on what I have done. And they were good at it! They cornered me on what was my contribution, my role, my responsibility etc. Make sure you don't talk about extra curriculars that you did 5 years ago/ pursue for less than 3-5 hours a week.

Mine went on for about 45 minutes and I came out of the room clueless. The long wait starts now.

By the way, I met a graphics designer from Disney, a CA who opened his own firm, a PhD working at Dr. Reddy's and a trader from National Stock Exchange. I wondered "why am I here?".

All the best everyone.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 22:22
hehehe that was quick :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 22:46
Thanks themangoman for the interview brief.

rasta - I am still waiting. Let's see. How about you?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2011, 10:27
themangoman wrote:
talk2vj wrote:

Here goes my interview experience

Mine was scheduled at 11:40, ISB campus. I reached there at around 9:30, thinking that I will get some time to roam around the campus. It turned out that students were on vacations and most of them were not on campus.
So I waited at the reception with other students. I must say I met some fantastic profiles in that period, the more I think about those the less confident I get

My panels were running behind the schedule by almost an hour. One word of caution - your panel might change on the actual day - do not take the panel mentioned in your email to be sacrosanct. At around 10:20, I was asked to write an essay on 'Apathy' in 50-100 words. At 12:40 I was called inside the room. One lady and two gentlemen. The lady and one of the gentlemen were both alumni and the third gentleman was from the adcom.

When I entered, the lady told me that I have exactly 30 mins to convince her that I am a fit for ISB. She also said that they will listen to whatever I say. I looked at my watch and started with introduction. They stopped me and asked me to jump to my work experience/learnings at my job/ challenges etc. I started with those and then the usual job related cross questioning. So if I were to sum it up, following were the points of discussions during my interview :

1) What do you do in your job - DO NOT MENTION WHAT YOUR COMPANY DOES. It seemed to piss them off. Be precise and tell them what you do
2) What challenges did you face in your job - again if you are from consulting - do not give them the typical jargon - client expectations, pressure. All that is bullshit. They are seasoned professionals, they have been doing this for a long long time and they will straight away cut you right there. Talk about the challenges that YOU faced. As a developer, did you find a particular technology hard to integrate with a third party software? As a consultant, did you find it difficult to convince one of your customers that xyz process is the right approach?. How long have you been facing this challenge?
3) What have you done to overcome the challenge. Please no jargon again. What did YOU do. It might not be something "spectacular" or "eye-brow raising", but it has to be true and honest in terms of learnings.
4) Then we discussed my extracurricular activities ( I am a part of a band and have been performing in events/parties for a long time now) - how am i different from any guitarist?
5) Gave me a case on music marketing and event management.
6) Why the career goal? What thought process behind it? Is it connected with your UG and job?

All in all, please expect questions out of box. They questioned me on what I have done. And they were good at it! They cornered me on what was my contribution, my role, my responsibility etc. Make sure you don't talk about extra curriculars that you did 5 years ago/ pursue for less than 3-5 hours a week.

Mine went on for about 45 minutes and I came out of the room clueless. The long wait starts now.

Brilliant debrief! Thanks! When do you expect to hear back from them?

Quote:
By the way, I met a graphics designer from Disney, a CA who opened his own firm, a PhD working at Dr. Reddy's and a trader from National Stock Exchange. I wondered "why am I here?".
Don't worry; pretty much everyone feels the same :)

MBA Gunner - My Blog on GMAT, MBA and other random quests i'm currently undertaking

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2011, 20:41
Got interview call....need to start the preparation...alteast happy to get an interview call....

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2011, 11:13
Hope, everyone is doing fine.....It seems that there is not much going on. If you have received an interview, please update your profile. I am preparing for my interview, which is not going well.

I will put my experience later.....Good luck to me :-)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2011, 15:49
talk2vj wrote:
Hope, everyone is doing fine.....It seems that there is not much going on. If you have received an interview, please update your profile. I am preparing for my interview, which is not going well.

I will put my experience later.....Good luck to me :-)

Hey when is yr interview ? when did u get a call ?
am an int applicant too but have yet received a i/v call. Not sure if it means that I am dinged or not......
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2011, 16:49
Got on Thursday night.....

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 07:01
talk2vj wrote:
Got on Thursday night.....

Hey did u have yr i/v ?

Can you please share yr i/v exp ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 07:34
It went well, I think so. Most of the questions were from my job experience. I didn't face any generic questions such as why MBA or such. I was grilled hard on one question related to my achievement to which I gave my best shot ( though I was not prepared for it). My general advice is to be prepared for the generic questions but do not expect to hear a straight question. Understand your achievement - what it meant to you, did you learn something about yourself,etc. Retrospect to your projects and activities.

And wish me luck :-0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 08:09
talk2vj wrote:
It went well, I think so. Most of the questions were from my job experience. I didn't face any generic questions such as why MBA or such. I was grilled hard on one question related to my achievement to which I gave my best shot ( though I was not prepared for it). My general advice is to be prepared for the generic questions but do not expect to hear a straight question. Understand your achievement - what it meant to you, did you learn something about yourself,etc. Retrospect to your projects and activities.

And wish me luck :-0

ATB to you.
When was your i/v btw ?
Did they ask you a case study ? or did they give you a word to talk about ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2011, 10:59
Hello everyone!

I realize this is an intense time for all of you while you are awaiting feedback from your interview at ISB bu tI was hoping that I can get your attention to my query. I am seeking feedback on my chances at ISB class of 2014. My profile is below:

Xth: 81%
XIIth: 76%
Undergrad: Approx. 3.6 GPA (Mumbai University, Information Technology)
Masters: 3.7 GPA Virginia Tech (Industrial & Systems Engineering)

Work ex: Right now it stands at 4 years in big4 consulting (Deloitte, EY)

GMAT: 660 (Q50, V30; was getting 700s in mocks :( )

ECA: few awards in both the firms for performance recognition (top 10% staff), lots of initiatives within the firm involving in building networks within employees and business advisor to a matrimonial website (been part of it since its inception, close to 5 years now).

My profile is in finance consulting (doing finance processes assessments, gap analysis, Anti-Money Laundering, developing roadmaps & strategy for compliance to financial regulations etc.)

I am curious to know whether I will be in IT pool because of my undergrad degree (If thats the case, then I am sure my GPA is too low) or will I be considered in the finance pool (not sure if the competition is slighlty less).

Either ways, I want to get an idea whether I stand a chance of getting in at ISB as it is my top choice school.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Indian School of Business (ISB) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2011, 14:29
gmattmag wrote:
Hello everyone!

I realize this is an intense time for all of you while you are awaiting feedback from your interview at ISB bu tI was hoping that I can get your attention to my query. I am seeking feedback on my chances at ISB class of 2014. My profile is below:

Xth: 81%
XIIth: 76%
Undergrad: Approx. 3.6 GPA (Mumbai University, Information Technology)
Masters: 3.7 GPA Virginia Tech (Industrial & Systems Engineering)

Work ex: Right now it stands at 4 years in big4 consulting (Deloitte, EY)

GMAT: 660 (Q50, V30; was getting 700s in mocks :( )

ECA: few awards in both the firms for performance recognition (top 10% staff), lots of initiatives within the firm involving in building networks within employees and business advisor to a matrimonial website (been part of it since its inception, close to 5 years now).

My profile is in finance consulting (doing finance processes assessments, gap analysis, Anti-Money Laundering, developing roadmaps & strategy for compliance to financial regulations etc.)

I am curious to know whether I will be in IT pool because of my undergrad degree (If thats the case, then I am sure my GPA is too low) or will I be considered in the finance pool (not sure if the competition is slighlty less).

Either ways, I want to get an idea whether I stand a chance of getting in at ISB as it is my top choice school.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am no expert at evaluating profiles, so take this as it comes.

Don't worry about the pool you will fall into. It is up to you to decide (within reason) the pool you belong to, and let the admission committee know that through your essays. Moreover, you have the option of selecting your industry in the application form. Although, one has to be mindful in doing this i.e. someone from IT should not select pharma just because he/she worked for a client from the pharma industry.

The strongest point in your academics is MS from Virginia Tech (a gr8 Engg. school). I feel that this can offset your average undergrad and class XII performances.

Your work experience is obviously very good on paper. It is also good that you have won awards at a very competitive workplace. Stressing on HOW you won the awards will make for an interesting interview experience.

If you have taken initiatives (at and outside work) that can clearly demonstrate leadership qualities, and if these qualities can be backed up by your recommenders, the chances of getting through will be much higher.

Although, it would be good if you could bump up your GMAT, there are aspects of your profile such as exp at a Big4, MS from Virginia Tech, International Experience, Awards, that if used correctly, can make a stellar application even with a 660.

Good luck!
Re: Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2011, 14:29

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    Next  [ 351 posts ] 

Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap