Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Re: Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll [#permalink]
I'm in (with scholarship). Hyderabad campus. Indian residing in India.

Good luck to all
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
hi guys,

I need some advice on which school should I join. Yesterday I was offered admission to Indian School of Business, Hyderabad (the only 1 year non US program I applied to) and now I am confused between Ross (Univ of Michigan) and ISB. Even though the exposure and the opportunities I will get from these colleges are very different and definitely not comparable, I am having a hard time deciding the next course of action. I don't have any long term ambition of working in US. In fact my only intention of applying to a
US b school was to get education of the international standard, work in US and get some global exposure and then return to India in 4-5 years. I am not interested in finance, and would like to build myself in the field of technology ( I am an engineer working at Siemens with 5.5 yrs of exp) - maybe start with strategy consulting in business technology and then move on to technology leadership roles. I have listed the pros and cons of both these schools below.

Ross
----
Pros:
. Education of the highest standard, global recognition, an amazing 2 year collegial experience
. Learning from experiences of a diverse class
. Large Michigan alumni network, even in India
. Opportunity to work in USA for a few years, global exposure, experience of working in a developed economy. If I manage to land up with a good job then probably repay my loans and make substantial
savings before returning to India
. Decent reputation of Michigan MBA in India - shouldn't face many problems in getting a job in India

Cons:
. Unavailability of no cosigner loan and/or scholarship - extremely high investment (75-80 lakh).
. Even though my wife would be working (maybe in US, she has asked for H1 visa from her current employer) so it might lighten the burden but this could mean that we have to stay apart.
. Job uncertainity due to visa issues, chances of another recession by the time I graduate.
. Might not be eligible to apply for many companies/functions in US, only options available- consulting from established firms (Mckinsey, Bain, BCG, Deloitte etc.), investment banking (I am not interested in finance) or established tech companies (not the start ups)
. The burden of loan will in some way restrict my post MBA career options - I might have to compromise on what I want to do, which company I want to work for.
. Living in US with a feeling of temporariness - in a saving mode in order to repay the loan and then in order to build up saving before returning to India

ISB
---
Pros:
. 1 year program, low opportunity cost,lower investment (25 lakh)
. Very strong brand recognition within India and in South
Asian region (Singapore, Malaysia)
. Financial freedom, probably wont need an education loan.
. Many opportunities will be available to me - FMCG companies, consulting, tech, I can even put on my entrepreneurial shoes.
. ISB brand will open the doors of almost every company in India for me, whether I can get in is a different story all together and depends totally on my own efforts.
. Since I plan to work and settle in India, having Indian
business education will help me better understand the dynamics of emerging economy, I will be able to peneterate the market early as compared to after 7 years if I go to Ross.
. Me and my wife can stay together, permanance, savings can start immediately after completion of the program

Cons:
. The education and the experience will be no where near what I will get at Ross
. Lack of diversity, almost 70% of the class is comprised of engineers (myself included), very few international students, but at least my fellow classmates will have substantial industry experience unlike IIMs full
time MBA where more than 60% are freshers straight out of college)
. Very little or almost no recognition outside South Asian
region - I can't even think about working in US or Europe (not that I want to work in Europe right now given the economic paralysis in the region) with a post graduate certificate (its not an MBA degree) from ISB
. Chances of landing up with a salary quite close to what I am getting right now (or what I would get if I changed over to a new company this year).

I really need to decide in the next couple of days as a non refundable deposit of 2 lakh rupees is due by 1st March and the session starts from 14th April. Any suggestions are welcome.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi mamup,

I know it's a tough call. I agree the diversity in terms of nationalities will be better in the US, but I'm surprised to know that you think the quality of Ross education will be better than ISB's. I would've thought ISB quality would be at least at par with Ross'? And that is the reason I chose to apply to ISB.

Here's my 2 cents on your situation. If you're able to get into the Top 5 or 8 in the US, then I'd pick that over ISB. But otherwise, the burden of debt just seems too much. And especially if you want to have a career in India, then why not go for a top 2 Indian school instead of a top 16 US school? You can always try to do an exchange program in the US from ISB if you really want that experience.

Just to put things into perspective, I'm a US citizen and I want to continue my career in the US, but I still felt that ISB was a better option given my circumstances (more affordable, lower opportunity cost, more open to seasoned professionals (I have 11 yrs of experience), etc.).

Hope this helps with your decison-making. Good luck! And do let me know what you decide...

mamup wrote:
hi guys,

I need some advice on which school should I join. Yesterday I was offered admission to Indian School of Business, Hyderabad (the only 1 year non US program I applied to) and now I am confused between Ross (Univ of Michigan) and ISB. Even though the exposure and the opportunities I will get from these colleges are very different and definitely not comparable, I am having a hard time deciding the next course of action. I don't have any long term ambition of working in US. In fact my only intention of applying to a
US b school was to get education of the international standard, work in US and get some global exposure and then return to India in 4-5 years. I am not interested in finance, and would like to build myself in the field of technology ( I am an engineer working at Siemens with 5.5 yrs of exp) - maybe start with strategy consulting in business technology and then move on to technology leadership roles. I have listed the pros and cons of both these schools below.

Ross
----
Pros:
. Education of the highest standard, global recognition, an amazing 2 year collegial experience
. Learning from experiences of a diverse class
. Large Michigan alumni network, even in India
. Opportunity to work in USA for a few years, global exposure, experience of working in a developed economy. If I manage to land up with a good job then probably repay my loans and make substantial
savings before returning to India
. Decent reputation of Michigan MBA in India - shouldn't face many problems in getting a job in India

Cons:
. Unavailability of no cosigner loan and/or scholarship - extremely high investment (75-80 lakh).
. Even though my wife would be working (maybe in US, she has asked for H1 visa from her current employer) so it might lighten the burden but this could mean that we have to stay apart.
. Job uncertainity due to visa issues, chances of another recession by the time I graduate.
. Might not be eligible to apply for many companies/functions in US, only options available- consulting from established firms (Mckinsey, Bain, BCG, Deloitte etc.), investment banking (I am not interested in finance) or established tech companies (not the start ups)
. The burden of loan will in some way restrict my post MBA career options - I might have to compromise on what I want to do, which company I want to work for.
. Living in US with a feeling of temporariness - in a saving mode in order to repay the loan and then in order to build up saving before returning to India

ISB
---
Pros:
. 1 year program, low opportunity cost,lower investment (25 lakh)
. Very strong brand recognition within India and in South
Asian region (Singapore, Malaysia)
. Financial freedom, probably wont need an education loan.
. Many opportunities will be available to me - FMCG companies, consulting, tech, I can even put on my entrepreneurial shoes.
. ISB brand will open the doors of almost every company in India for me, whether I can get in is a different story all together and depends totally on my own efforts.
. Since I plan to work and settle in India, having Indian
business education will help me better understand the dynamics of emerging economy, I will be able to peneterate the market early as compared to after 7 years if I go to Ross.
. Me and my wife can stay together, permanance, savings can start immediately after completion of the program

Cons:
. The education and the experience will be no where near what I will get at Ross
. Lack of diversity, almost 70% of the class is comprised of engineers (myself included), very few international students, but at least my fellow classmates will have substantial industry experience unlike IIMs full
time MBA where more than 60% are freshers straight out of college)
. Very little or almost no recognition outside South Asian
region - I can't even think about working in US or Europe (not that I want to work in Europe right now given the economic paralysis in the region) with a post graduate certificate (its not an MBA degree) from ISB
. Chances of landing up with a salary quite close to what I am getting right now (or what I would get if I changed over to a new company this year).

I really need to decide in the next couple of days as a non refundable deposit of 2 lakh rupees is due by 1st March and the session starts from 14th April. Any suggestions are welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,
Kindly evaluate my Profile please.

I am planning to give my GMAT in Sept'12. I am hitting 650 in GMAT prep & MGMAT & hope would touch 700 in the finals.
I am looking for Indian Colleges (ISB preferably) as studying abroad would be very expensive for me.

Work Experience: total 4 yrs of work-ex in Sales ( Business Development, Marketing, Sales, New Acquisition & Farming from Existing Accounts ) of IT Solutions & Services like Data Centre Services, Cloud Services, IT Management & Monitoring, Facility Management, Hardware, Software, etc

IBM/26 months/ Sales & Marketing of above mentioned IT Services apart from Running a marketing campaign to educate customers about IBM services.

Omnitech (MNC)/ 12 months / Sales of above mentioned services.

Wipro/6 months & working till date/ Sales of above services. New Acquisitions & Farming from existing Large accounts.

Education Background:

Post Graduate Diploma in MAnagement through Distance Learning from Symbiosis Pune.
B.tech in Computer Science & Engineering with 69%
12th from Maths & Science with 73%
10th from PCM with 84%.

Extracurricular Activities:

Active member of Green Peace Society ( NGO for Environment Protection ) in terms of Donations & participating in campaigns.
Freelancing in Trading in Stock Markets.
President of Cultural Society of my College.
Developed - Installed & Commissioned a Self Made Health Research Software for Homeopath Doctors to carry out different kinds of research, at my hometown free of cost.
It is still running live successfully.

My Question:

1) What is my chance of getting into ISB & what would be the min score required?

Any other suggestions / advice would be helpul. Kindly advice.

Regards,
Anoop
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any tips of ISB video essay?
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
If this helps in any way in the applications, I've shared my experiences from the ISB information session held in Bangalore recently. I met some 9 alumni from ISB at the info session and it was a great learning about the school indeed. Hope this post helps in applications.

https://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... rabad.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Schools: ISB (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Interviewed on 18/11/2017 at Mumbai.

Interviewed on: 2011/11/14
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 700, Q49, V35
WE: 52 months
Industry: Manufacturing
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
amolkamath wrote:
Interviewed on 18/11/2017 at Mumbai.

Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 700, Q49, V35
WE: 52 months
Industry: Manufacturing

Wrong forum page mate!!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/isb-2018-int ... 43912.html
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All ISB Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All ISB Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All ISB Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated ISB Forum to dive into all things related to ISB's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts