Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 22:58 It is currently 02 May 2024, 22:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65052 [0]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Verbal - suggestions required [#permalink]
Yeah, I actually did solve few questions and took some mock tests before I appeared for the GMAT. But, to my dismay I went on with the Verbal Section with pure gut feeling. This time round, I am using Veritas Prep material and e-gmat as tools to build up stronger basics.

Lets see what happens.

By the way I am a non native speaker.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
FoldedEarth wrote:
Hello-

I have already had an attempt at the GMAT and scored 660(Q:47/V:34/Arg:5) and am now planning to rewrite the GMAT so as to better my score, specifically targeting the Verbal section, in the GMAT. I am aiming at scoring at least 45 in the verbal section.

I have booked the date for my 2nd attempt at the GMAT in mid of November'11.

During the current phase of my preps I am re-reading the stuff (Manhattan SC and Grockit) that I used for my preparation during the last attempt (in September'11). But, somehow I feel the material to be insufficient as I haven't yet been able to develop a full proof strategy for tackling the Verbal section, which caused my downfall in the previous attempt.

I am desperately in need of a solid strategy and of some excellent books, which may help me out on my endeavor of cracking "The GMAT".

Suggestions are solemnly invited.

Regards
FoldedEarth

No book is going to give you a 'fool proof strategy'. If it existed, everyone would score a 51 on Verbal!
What you get is 'guidance'. How to think logically... What are they trying to test... The logical, mathematical kind of approach to Verbal... What is relatively more important and why... What to think of when you see '...' etc

You need to tell us the sections you are especially struggling with and we can better guide you.

Sorry Miss!!

I think you got me completely wrong here. I already know that there ain't no shortcuts for developing any full proof (or the 'Fool Proof') strategy. I never asked for a strategy but instead I had asked for few preparatory books that I could use for my Verbal preparations.

By the way, thanks for the guidance.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30846 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
To improve Verbal score you need to do 2 things well.

1. Ensure you have a solid understanding of how to apply the concepts. Focus on our application files for this. For example, for sentence correction make sure you follow the 3 step process as prescribed in the application files. For CR, master the skill of Prethinking. In addition to going through the content in our application files, make sure that you go though our live sessions recordings. The live sessions recordings on Prethinking and Importance on Meaning will help you if you are struggling with these.

2. Have a plan. Did you attend the strategy session on 5th November. Customize the takeaways from it.

Let us know if we can help. You know how to reach us :)

-Rajat Sadana
GMAT Club Bot