Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 04:44
800Score also say OA is B.. very confused.. dont know how to catch CR rat.. :evil:
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1095
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 67

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 06:25
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


The paradox is "The Parents from most achieving district complain most frequently."
We have to find an answer that explains the paradox.
I feel that E does not explain the paradox in anyway it just mentions that most complaints come from the political activists, most of whom live in high achieving districts. I agree that political activist may be parents of students but we need an answer why these activist are doing.if we assume that these activists are the parents we are just presenting an example of the paradox presented in the question.

Whereas B to some extends solves the paradox. It states that parents have no knowledge of the own districts's score. Consider if a parent does not know about the marks scored by other students in class than he can either complain about the score or he cannot. If he does than it solves our paradox. In case of E it just says political activists (may or may not be parents) complains about the low score..........................
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 2
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 16:39
I figured out the right answer on B. Awareness of the district's high score is irrelevant to the parents' complaints
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1012

Kudos [?]: 4314 [2] , given: 161

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 04:50
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


Responding to a pm:

It is actually not very tricky. I am surprised that many people were taken aback. The only reason I can think of is that they did not understand the argument properly.

The argument says that parents blame the schools for low scores. The question is - whose low scores? their wards' low scores. The parents blame the school for not-so-good performance of their own children. The surprising thing is that most of these parents come from high achieving districts i.e. their wards go to schools which produce better than average results. You would expect that parents of students studying in schools producing better results would be happier.
Hence, here is the paradox.

What can you say to explain this paradox?

Say, most of the toppers come from school A (a fancy private school). The local govt got 50 school complaints this year. Say, 40 of them were from from parents of students studying in school A. How can you explain this?
I can think of various things - Parents who send their kids to school A expect very high scores from their children. Parents see that their kids' classmates are getting very high scores so they are unhappy about avg scores of their own kids. When children get 80%, parents get greedy and want 90% so they complain. etc

We will look at options B and E:

B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.

It doesn't explain why parents of students studying in school A (just as an example) complain the most. They don't know the school's avg score. So what? Even if they do know that the school's avg is high, it doesn't matter. They will still complain about their children's scores. It doesn't explain why parents of this school are most unhappy about their children's score. Even if they know that the school avg is high, it will not make them happy about their kids' performance. Does not explain the paradox. Is the answer.

E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.
This explains the paradox. Who are the most critical parents? Political activists. They live in high achieving districts (e.g. their children go to school A). The political activists are the most vocal. Wherever they go, they will complain. Since their kids go to school A, they complain about school A. This explains the paradox that most complaints come from school A even though the results there are good.

Answer B
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 44
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 01:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
this explains the paradox because if parents are more involved with the school and the parents who have children with low grades will complain
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
this does not explain the paradox .If the parents do know the scores of their own district how can the parents complain about the school.So the parents with no knowledge will not complain
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
tis explains the paradox .Though their child getting good grades there are parents who think that grade is low,so they complain about the grade to the school
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
this clearly explains the paradox
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.
this expalins the paradox because the districts may have politicians who are eager to appear in media
_________________

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 09:06
None of the above explanation gives why D is the answer. Everybody says either B or E. can someone say which is correct and why .. Thanks for the same ..

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1012

Kudos [?]: 4314 [0], given: 161

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 20:44
Expert's post
Asishp wrote:
None of the above explanation gives why D is the answer. Everybody says either B or E. can someone say which is correct and why .. Thanks for the same ..

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit


The answer is B. Note that it is an 'EXCEPT' question. All other options explain the paradox. B does not.

(D) explains the paradox too. Parents living in high score districts find that their child gets less than average scores in their district and that could be the reason of complaints. It explains why people living in high score districts would complain the most.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: ISB '15 (S), HKU '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 39

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 23:01
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


Can you please provide the OA for this? Both C and E seem to explain the paradox here....B, I think is the correct answer..
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1012

Kudos [?]: 4314 [0], given: 161

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 02:17
Expert's post
kv18 wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


Can you please provide the OA for this? Both C and E seem to explain the paradox here....B, I think is the correct answer..


Again, note that it is an "EXCEPT" question. ALL options must explain the paradox except the answer. Hence both C and E WILL EXPLAIN the paradox. B DOES NOT EXPLAIN the paradox and that is why it is the answer.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 232
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 40

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 09:31
I disagree with B) being the OA. If you're looking for things that DON'T explain the paradox of vociferous complaints coming from high scoring districts, then B fails.

B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.


So that would help explain it. If you don't know the test scores in your district, which are high, then you would not know that you should not be complaining. So, B) helps explain the paradox, and we're looking for something that does not
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 367
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 291

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 19:33
The answer is B. The parents are not concerned with the district's achievement. They are concerned about their own children's scores. The district may or may not be a high achiever. Why wud anybody go and raise a voice if the district is not doing well but his/her child is? Who cares!!! Right!

E) Related or not complaints are being raised so the paradox is explained

C) I would like to quote an analogy over here. If u are a food critic and u happen to go to a restaurant which serves great food and is very popular among the public. U still criticize the food for not being upto ur standards even thought the restaurant might be the best. Or shall I say its human tendency that nothing will ever be "enough".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2011
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 16:26
I picked D.
who will have the OA???
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2011
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 16:27
I picked D.
who will have the OA???
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1012

Kudos [?]: 4314 [0], given: 161

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 20:36
Expert's post
navylam wrote:
I picked D.
who will have the OA???


The official answer is (B). The original poster gave it here: parents-often-criticize-schools-for-not-doing-their-job-39178.html#p276480
For an explanation, check the posts above.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 11:06
I pick B.

All other answers explain the paradox to a certain degree. However B does not.

B claims that parents have no knowledge of their district's own score. This would be valid if all parents complained, regardless of scores. However, we are told that parents in high scoring districts complain more. Knowing that parents do not know what their district's score is does not explain why parents in high scoring districts complain more, as ALL parents do not know their score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 261
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 397

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 15:15
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


I picked E.

In E, the word that makes the answer the good one is "most".

If the number of complaints is 100, you need to have according to E, 51 coming from political activists: Most of whom are living in high achivement scores districts. Therefore out of those 51, at least 26 are living in those areas.

We have therefore, 100 complains, but only 26 coming from the high achieving districts... which will not help to explain the apparent paradox...

What do you think?
_________________

Think outside the box

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1012

Kudos [?]: 4314 [1] , given: 161

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 18:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Paris75 wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


I picked E.

In E, the word that makes the answer the good one is "most".

If the number of complaints is 100, you need to have according to E, 51 coming from political activists: Most of whom are living in high achivement scores districts. Therefore out of those 51, at least 26 are living in those areas.

We have therefore, 100 complains, but only 26 coming from the high achieving districts... which will not help to explain the apparent paradox...

What do you think?


Most could be 51 and most could also be 90. In common parlance in fact, most is usually used for 90. Political activists are the most vocal and most of them live in high achieving districts. So it is certainly possible that most complaints come from high achieving districts. So (E) does help to explain the paradox.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 261
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 397

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 22:41
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Paris75 wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job. Many blame schools for low student achievement scores. Surprisingly, the most frequent and vociferous complaints come from those who live in districts where the achievement scores are high.

All of the following, considered individually, help to explain the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
A. Parents from districts of high achievers are very involved with the schools and are, therefore, more likely to make critical comments.
B. Parents have no knowledge of their district's own scores.
C. High scores cause parents' expectations to rise leading parents to demand that students achieve even more.
D. High-scoring districts contain low-achieving students whose parents are likely to complain when their children score below the local average.
E. Most complaints about schools come from political activists, most of whom live in high-achieving districts.


I picked E.

In E, the word that makes the answer the good one is "most".

If the number of complaints is 100, you need to have according to E, 51 coming from political activists: Most of whom are living in high achivement scores districts. Therefore out of those 51, at least 26 are living in those areas.

We have therefore, 100 complains, but only 26 coming from the high achieving districts... which will not help to explain the apparent paradox...

What do you think?


Most could be 51 and most could also be 90. In common parlance in fact, most is usually used for 90. Political activists are the most vocal and most of them live in high achieving districts. So it is certainly possible that most complaints come from high achieving districts. So (E) does help to explain the paradox.


Indeed, i did not have the right définition of most!

B seems now the best!

Thx you!
_________________

Think outside the box

Re: Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job.   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 22:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous ardk 1 06 Jul 2011, 08:09
Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous garimavyas 1 12 May 2011, 23:22
1 Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous vineetgupta 24 04 Dec 2006, 11:43
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous jyotsnasarabu 12 12 Nov 2006, 09:22
Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous faifai0714 10 10 Oct 2006, 17:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Parents often criticize schools for not doing their job.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.