Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [33]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [4]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012
Send PM
Re: Twin Passages for practicing Main Point question [#permalink]
Kudos
1. The reason why the author has written this passage is that he wants to:

A. argue that functions of Cerebral cortex only can lead to such important and complex decisions as buying a home or selecting a school.
B. compare and contrast the functions of brain stem and Cerebral Cortex to show the benefits of one over the other in making complex decision. - Correct
C. debate that all important decisions must be taken from Cerebral Cortex as it leads to rational decisions in complex situations.
D. summarize through examples which situations are conducive for conscious minds and when to employ brain stem to make optimal decisions of complex nature.
E. prove that sleeping on a complex decision is the best way to arrive at the optimal decision in complex situations.

1. The purpose of the passage is to:

A. highlight the differences among psychologists regarding the importance of the unconscious mind in making complex decisions.
B. contrast and compare the workings of the rationality with that of deliberate, action-oriented and complex decision making processes.
C. prove by citing results of experiments that one decision-making process is better than the other. - Correct
D. show that unconscious mind is not that undependable as previously thought.
E. ascertain that using conscious and unconscious minds together yield second-to-none judgments.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Passage 1

A. argue that functions of Cerebral cortex only can lead to such important and complex decisions as buying a home or selecting a school.
B. compare and contrast the functions of brain stem and Cerebral Cortex to show the benefits of one over the other in making complex decision. I rejected B because the phrase 'to show the benefits of one over the other' means that of the two - brain stem and Cerebral Cortex, one is better than the other while the passage does not promote any of these as better than the other
C. debate that all important decisions must be taken from Cerebral Cortex as it leads to rational decisions in complex situations.
D. summarize through examples which situations are conducive for conscious minds and when to employ brain stem to make optimal decisions of complex nature. This seemed to be correct
E. prove that sleeping on a complex decision is the best way to arrive at the optimal decision in complex situations.

A. highlight the differences among psychologists regarding the importance of the unconscious mind in making complex decisions.
B. contrast and compare the workings of the rationality with that of deliberate, action-oriented and complex decision making processes.
C. prove by citing results of experiments that one decision-making process is better than the other. Extract from passage - conscious mind, is identifiably more deliberate, action oriented and complex than its conscious counterpart. Furthermore researchers have proven that the mind is incredibly efficient at extracting meaning from stimuli of which one is not consciously aware.
E. ascertain that using conscious and unconscious minds together yield second-to-none judgments.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for your responses. We will post the detailed solution tomorrow after we get 2-3 more responses. Dear Monsoon1, thank you for taking the pains to write the detailed response. It enables us to help respond in a manner that benefits you, which is the end goal here.

Similarly Akrish, Amrita and snigdhakul - thank you for chiming in. If you add more detail then we will be able to respond accordingly.

-Rajat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
IMO
1.D
2.C
Good practice sets !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I'll go with
Passage 1: B
Passage 2: C
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [20]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Folks,
Here is the solution of the twin passages

Researchers argue that the brain stem comprising the medulla oblongata, the pons and the mid brain is better at handling a large amount of information. On the other hand, the Cerebral Cortex that is responsible for rational decision making is better at applying very strict, mathematical rules on fewer variables involving well-defined parameters. Consequently, researchers agree that it is better to “sleep on” certain complex decision rather than burn midnight oil to arrive at rationale solution. They believe that in these situations, rationality comes on the way of making a rational decision and that the brain stem is better equipped to handle them than the Cerebral Cortex, arguing that it’s better to leave such decisions on unconscious thought process – thinking without paying attention. There are decisions where, the researchers believe, conscious thought outperforms unconscious thought. For example, when a decision requires application of very strict, mathematical rules, conscious thought is beneficial.

Several experiments that incorporated several combinations of plethora of specifications revealed the workings of the brain stem and the Cerebral cortex. In one such experiment, the participants were asked to choose a car from 10 leading brands of automobiles. The researchers gave them just four parameters to consider for their choice - mileage, cost, reliability, and re-sale value, asking them to take instantaneous decision. The participants came up with the second-to-none decision in this scenario, proving that the conscious mind was super-efficient in processing limited amount of data. Keeping all the other conditions fixed the researchers this time asked the participants to sleep on the choice and declare their decision later. The resulting choices that participants made were not as optimal.

In another set of similar experiments, the researchers were baffled by the appalling choices that the test group made when they conducted the same experiment with 10 leading brands, but doubled the parameters, adding such features to consider as brand appeal, durability, safety, and off-road capability. The researchers argued that Cerebral cortex could not make sense of the expanded information set that led to poor decision making. However, the decisions made by another test group that was allowed to sleep on the decision before declaring their choice were much more worthy, even though not as good as the decision produced by the conscious mind that processed fewer parameters. This led the researchers to conclude that our unconscious mind can process larger amounts of information — as long as we give it time to do so. Another suitable situation, according to researchers, to employ the goal-dependent, deliberative process in the absence of conscious attention is when we are low on energy or easily distracted at the time when we are faced with a complex decision to make. Similarly, when in high spirits, it may be better to invoke the conscious mind to arrive at a much more optimal solution.

B. compare and contrast the functions of brain stem and Cerebral Cortex to show the benefits of one over the other in making complex decision.
D. summarize through examples which situations are conducive for conscious minds and when to employ brain stem to make optimal decisions of complex nature.

Hopefully you would have read the passage and the Main Point Question. Here I would approach this question. The first step is to summarize individual paragraphs.

So basically, what the author said in the first paragraph, he proved those points by mentioning some studies in the subsequent paragraphs.

PRE-THINKING MAIN POINT – Below is the main point that I came up by combining the summaries of the three paragraphs.

So now let’s do the POE to find out the correct answer:

Evidence has been presented that the unconscious mind, still viewed by many psychological scientists as the shadow of a ‘‘real’’ conscious mind, is identifiably more deliberate, action oriented and complex than its conscious counterpart. Furthermore researchers have proven that the mind is incredibly efficient at extracting meaning from stimuli of which one is not consciously aware. The claims above are made on conclusive experimentations in which test subjects who were allowed to sleep during a decision making process made more optimal decisions when compared to the subjects who were given the exact same amount of information but were not allowed to sleep, leading researchers to believe that rationality comes on the way of making a rational decision. Researchers explain that while the conscious mind can only follow strict rules, unconscious mind can handle and integrate a larger amount of information, explaining why it can make better decisions. Even more surprising than this unconscious mind’s ability is that the mental processes that drive such decision making are necessarily minimal and unsophisticated and do not require humongous amount of calories to make us arrive at the best decision whereas using conscious mind for complex decisions burns up a lot of energy, setting in fatigue, forcing the conscious mind to give up and leading to subconscious decisions. Overall, researchers agree that there is no need to have sleepless night pondering over a complex issue to resolve it when it can actually be solved more efficiently by snoring the night away.

C. prove by citing results of experiments that one decision-making process is better than the other.

Hopefully you would have read the passage and the Main Point Question. Here I would approach this question. The first step is to summarize individual paragraphs.

PRE-THINKING MAIN POINT – Below is the main point that I came up from the summary of this single-paragraph passage.

Now let’s do the POE to see which answer choice is correct:

Thanks

Originally posted by egmat on 03 Aug 2012, 09:56.
Last edited by egmat on 11 Oct 2012, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
Oh! I got it now ! Actually, for passage 1, i was stuck between answer choices B & D. Although i had selected D at the first place, i edited the ans to B later.
I overlooked the terms " brain stem" & "Cerebral cortex"

In a nutshell, in passage 1,
Brain stem refers to --> Unconscious mind --> handles large amount of info better
Cerebral cortex refers to --> Conscious mind --> handles limited info(limited parameters) better

+1 Kudos to e-gmat for the vivid explanation !
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for the praise. I hope this exercise will help you do better on RC.

-Rajat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
Send PM
egmat wrote:

-Rajat

Hi egmat
I recently saw this and have started applying it. It is helping me a lot (though i still have to apply it in a test), but what i have observed is that when applying this though my accuracy increases a bit, it takes quite a bit of time to read it (about 5 mins). is there any strategy that can be clubbed with this to improve pace

Also i gave Gmatprep 1 yesterday and got 680 (Q49 and V34). about 6 SC questions went wrong of which 3 were comparison. i am particularly confused about questions such as "that of last yr" "those of last yr" etc..is there any strategy for these questions

I have my Gmat in one week and would appreciate any help

Also Kudos for the above post
Smeal Penn State Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Saswat: Sahu
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-30-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I was confused between 'B' and 'D' for the fist passage. Being an e-gmat verbal online student, it helped me eliminating B.

And passage 2 was comparatively easy.

GMAT scheduled on October 14th :-D

Cheers
Saswat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
egmat wrote:

-Rajat

Hi
In passage two, we only know that evidence has been presented. But how can we say that the author strongly agrees with it? All we can say is that the author is surprised at how efficient the brain stem is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Thank you e-gmat! I am currently going through the Verbal online course. RC is the last topic I am going through.

These RC strategies are very useful; for the first time I am not feeling scared/anxious looking at a passage. Also, got both the answers correct with proper knowledge of why the choices were correct or incorrect. Kudos for such well structured clear lessons!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
egmat wrote:

-Rajat

I'm still not able to choose D over B? Even in the passage, it does specify that sometimes it is better to take the decision from the sub conscious mind, i.e the brain stem. Also, the functions are mentioned but indirectly. I'm still not sure. It'd be great help if someone could explain it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Got both correct!

Thanks Payal for these tips/tricks :)
Intern