Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [71]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [11]
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [6]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [4]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: That the Fifth Lateran Council (1512 – 1517), [u]had it addressed the [#permalink]
Kudos
The blue letters and long answer choices threw me off. But quite a simple one as 3 of the options can easily be eliminated. Between A and E, E has a problem with ambiguous pronouns. So A should be the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: That the Fifth Lateran Council (1512 – 1517), [u]had it addressed the [#permalink]
Is there a flaw in choice A? That is, should "had it addressed" be parallel to "simply shoring up," making a more correct sentence "simply shored up?"

That the Fifth Lateran Council (1512 – 1517), had it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still causes regret among modern Western Christian thinkers.
(A) had it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation still causes
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [3]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
banaorange wrote:
Is there a flaw in choice A? That is, should "had it addressed" be parallel to "simply shoring up," making a more correct sentence "simply shored up?"

That the Fifth Lateran Council (1512 – 1517), had it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still causes regret among modern Western Christian thinkers.
(A) had it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation still causes

Dear banaorange,
That's actually what I would call "False Parallelism" --- matching the verb forms without regard for the structure. To some extent, this is an idiomatic grammatical structure. Notice that "addressed" is an action the Council didn't do --- it's in the subjunctive, because it's hypothetical. By contrast, "shoring up" is an action the Council did do --- it's real, historical, not hypothetical. The idiom for this form is

Had [subject] done X rather than doing Y

Here, "than" functions as a preposition with a gerund object.

For more on the subjunctive, see this post:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... ive-tense/
For more on gerunds:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the awesome hard question.
In the above question "That the Fifth Lateran Council" is acting as the subject for the verbs beginning with " had it addressed ", "could have avoided and still causes" . Is this type of construction valid. P.S . The three verbs do not form a list and there are no conjunctions used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
(B) if it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up their own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation still cause
(C) if they addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church instead of simply shoring up their own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, they might have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation still cause
(D) if they addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church instead of simply shoring up their own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, they could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still a cause of
(E) if it had addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply having shored up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, it might have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still a cause of[/color]

See a full discussion of this question, and a full discussion of noun clauses (a.k.a. substantive clauses) in general, see this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/

Hello Mike,

I attempted this question on official Magoosh page after going through your awesome article on "that". The only reason I got this question wrong is because this question does not have a comma (in its original stem i.e Choice A) after Protestant Reformation on official Magoosh Page. I have highlighted that part above. Following is the link to it:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3218

I'd request you to quickly rectify this error. Again thanks for sharing all those awesome articles.
Devansh
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Expert Reply
Devlikes wrote:
Hello Mike,

I attempted this question on official Magoosh page after going through your awesome article on "that". The only reason I got this question wrong is because this question does not have a comma (in its original stem i.e Choice A) after Protestant Reformation on official Magoosh Page. I have highlighted that part above. Following is the link to it:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3218

I'd request you to quickly rectify this error. Again thanks for sharing all those awesome articles.
Devansh

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, it's important to understand that in this case and in many cases, a comma is optional. Neither the presence or the absence of the comma is strictly 100% right or 100% wrong. The comma there does add a little clarity but it detracts a bit from the flow of the sentence, so it's a trade-off. When I wrote this SC problem originally, I put that comma in, thinking it would provide more clarity. Then, numerous Magoosh students wrote in complaining about the presence of this comma, among other things, so we revised the question in a few ways, and chose to leave out the comma in the revision. Thus, it's ironic that you now complain about the absence of the comma, just as convinced that the absence is a mistake as others were convinced that its presence was a mistake. In fact, it's in a gray area, and there's a reasonably good argument to made in either direction.

Keep in mind that, on the real GMAT, no answer choice would ever be wrong purely on the basis of a comma. Don't let the presence or absence of a comma cloud the issue of the fundamental grammatical organization of a sentence.

Also, notice that you were confused on a question, you got it wrong, and you went to the assumption that there was an error in the question itself. This direction of thought, looking for the source of the difficulty outside of yourself, will not help you prepare for the GMAT. As it happens, there is no error here, but even if there were, that would not be a win for you in any meaningful way. It's one of the habits of excellence always to look inward when one has made a mistake: what can I learn from this? how can I deepen my understanding? That's the direction of inquiry that will bring you the most progress--in your preparation for the GMAT, in your B-school studies, and in your career. One of the fundamental marks of leadership is the ability to take deep responsibility, and I believe that it's precisely by expanding our capacity for responsibility that we all grow.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hey Mike

Cz the situation boils down to A & E my trail of thoughts for meaning was :-

(E) if it had addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply having shored up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, it might have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still a cause of

The It in the red is kind of placeholder, and in general we would write this construction if there cannot be any other antecedent of IT, It i believe in such situations refers to as what could have been done, However there is a use of another It at the start puts the whole pronoun and placeholder thing in jeopardy...Hence for meaning i opted out of E.

I hope i am correct in concluding the meaning, and should i go with such approach in actual GMAT Questions?

Meaning over Grammar only if i cant spot the real issues.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
banaorange wrote:

Dear banaorange,
That's actually what I would call "False Parallelism" --- matching the verb forms without regard for the structure. To some extent, this is an idiomatic grammatical structure. Notice that "addressed" is an action the Council didn't do --- it's in the subjunctive, because it's hypothetical. By contrast, "shoring up" is an action the Council did do --- it's real, historical, not hypothetical. The idiom for this form is

Had [subject] done X rather than doing Y

Here, "than" functions as a preposition with a gerund object.

For more on the subjunctive, see this post:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... ive-tense/
For more on gerunds:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/

i have some thought

rather than is different from instead of . quite different. in this forum, there is unofficial question which test this point

instead of leaning gmat, i learn grammar
is correct sentence
rather than of learning gmat, i learn garmmar
is INCORRECT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
(B) if it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up their own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation still cause
(C) if they addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church instead of simply shoring up their own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, they might have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation still cause
(D) if they addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church instead of simply shoring up their own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, they could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still a cause of
(E) if it had addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply having shored up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe, it might have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation, still a cause of

See a full discussion of this question, and a full discussion of noun clauses (a.k.a. substantive clauses) in general, see this blog:

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/

Classic example of how to intimidate test takers by long sentences with lot of obnoxious data ...

Could not understood the structure and flow of the sentence ..but just tried to understand the meaning and then kept this option on HOLD.

the "if ...then..." structure
in if then structure ...
if the "if" clause is in simple past tense ...then the "then" clause must have "would + Verb" or must be in "simple past tense" (depending on the context).
Here, none is given ..so WRONG

in if then structure ...
if the "if" clause is in simple past tense ...then the "then" clause must have "would + Verb" or must be in "simple past tense" (depending on the context).
Also, "THEY" is PLURAL whereas the antecedent "THE FIFTH LATERAL COUNCIL" is SINGULAR

[b]the "if ...then..." structure
in if then structure ...
Also, "THEY" is PLURAL whereas the antecedent "THE FIFTH LATERAL COUNCIL" is SINGULAR

in if then structure ...
if the "if" clause is in PAST PERFECT tense ...then the "then" clause must have "would have + Verb"

So the Correct Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Hi mike,

Can you please elaborate on the difference between 'rather than' and 'instead of', highlighting various cases in which each of them can be used.

Thanks for clarifying many doubts :)

mikemcgarry wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the awesome hard question.
In the above question "That the Fifth Lateran Council" is acting as the subject for the verbs beginning with " had it addressed ", "could have avoided and still causes" . Is this type of construction valid. P.S . The three verbs do not form a list and there are no conjunctions used.

Dear saikarthikreddy,
With all due respect, I think you don't quite understand the grammar of the sentence.

This part -----
"had it addressed the growing concerns of reformers within the Catholic Church rather than simply shoring up its own political prerogatives with respect to the monarchies of Western Europe" is a modifying clause. The subject of the verb "addressed" is the pronoun "it"

Take that modifier out. Still, inside the "that" clause, we have the clause ---
"....the Fifth Lateran Council .....could have avoided the series of events that led to the Protestant Reformation...."
Here, the subject of the verb "could have avoided" is "the Fifth Lateran Council".

Now, step back to the entire sentence. The main verb is "causes", and the subject of this verb is the entire "that"-clause. The "that" clause is a substantive clause, a clause that takes a noun role in a sentence, and thus it can act as the subject of the sentence.

So, you see, those three verbs are not in parallel ---each one has a different subject, and each one is the main verb at a different grammatical level within the sentence.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [2]
Kudos