Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [42]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Re: Marijuana advocate: If marijuana were legalized in this state, the sta [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
Marijuana advocate: Since sales would be legal, the criminal culture supporting the drug would vanish

Attorney General: diverting money from crime-fighting after such legalization gives those criminals more free rein.

Isn't it essentially doing what's mentioned in option D?

Dear gauravkaushik8591,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The marijuana advocate assumes that, when pot is legal, the pot-related crimes will stop.

The attorney general assumes the opposite: that when pot is legal, the criminal culture supporting pot will continue.

Those two do not have the same assumption. They have 100% polar opposite assumptions.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Re: Marijuana advocate: If marijuana were legalized in this state, the sta [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
Marijuana advocate: Since sales would be legal, the criminal culture supporting the drug would vanish

Attorney General: diverting money from crime-fighting after such legalization gives those criminals more free rein.

Isn't it essentially doing what's mentioned in option D?

Dear gauravkaushik8591,

The marijuana advocate assumes that, when pot is legal, the pot-related crimes will stop.

The attorney general assumes the opposite: that when pot is legal, the criminal culture supporting pot will continue.

Those two do not have the same assumption. They have 100% polar opposite assumptions.

Does this make sense?

Hi Mike.
This is a toughie :)
As I see it, the assumption would be: pot is legal.
The conclusions that are made are opposing...
I chose D too...
Can you elaborate a little more?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [0]
Expert Reply
ronr34 wrote:
I chose D too...

Dear ronr34
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is tricky. The marijuana advocate begins "If marijuana were legalized in this state ..." That's NOT an assumption. GMAT assumptions are unstated. This is a hypothetical prediction, and the marijuana advocate makes an argument (involving an assumption) within this hypothetical scenario. He seems to make the assumption that, if marijuana were legalized, then all growers and distributors of marijuana would "play by the rules" like good citizens and pay all their due taxes. The attorney general does not make this same assumption: in fact, the attorney general cites evidence that seems to call that assumption into question.

Remember, if you can see it printed in black and white in the prompt, it is definitely not an assumption.

Does all this make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
I chose D too...

Dear ronr34
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is tricky. The marijuana advocate begins "If marijuana were legalized in this state ..." That's NOT an assumption. GMAT assumptions are unstated. This is a hypothetical prediction, and the marijuana advocate makes an argument (involving an assumption) within this hypothetical scenario. He seems to make the assumption that, if marijuana were legalized, then all growers and distributors of marijuana would "play by the rules" like good citizens and pay all their due taxes. The attorney general does not make this same assumption: in fact, the attorney general cites evidence that seems to call that assumption into question.

Remember, if you can see it printed in black and white in the prompt, it is definitely not an assumption.

Does all this make sense?

yes...
gotta keep that in mind always :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
can anyone please tell me why A is wrong

citing evidence that demonstrates the conclusion is false,
evidence:- Studies of legalizing previously illegal drugs in other countries
the conclusion (of the marijuana advocate):the state has a tremendous amount to gain by making the drug legal

this tremendous gain is the reduction is crime and increase in revenue, now since the AG has proved using his example that the crimes will not reduce the crime hence he is disproving the MA's conclusion.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jacobneroth wrote:
can anyone please tell me why A is wrong

citing evidence that demonstrates the conclusion is false,
evidence:- Studies of legalizing previously illegal drugs in other countries
the conclusion (of the marijuana advocate):the state has a tremendous amount to gain by making the drug legal

this tremendous gain is the reduction is crime and increase in revenue, now since the AG has proved using his example that the crimes will not reduce the crime hence he is disproving the MA's conclusion.

Dear jacobneroth,
I'm the author of this question, and I am happy to respond. :-)

Here's the text of the question again:
Marijuana advocate: If marijuana were legalized in this state, the state could start assessing tax on the drug, increasing state revenues. Since sales would be legal, the criminal culture supporting the drug would vanish; as crimes ceased, the state would save money on fighting crime. Overall, the state has a tremendous amount to gain by making the drug legal.

Attorney General: Studies of legalizing previously illegal drugs in other countries suggests that criminals controlling the business will not be eager either to sacrifice their profits or to play by the rules. Moreover, diverting money from crime-fighting after such legalization gives those criminals more free rein.

The Attorney General uses which of the following techniques in responding to the marijuana advocate?
(A) citing evidence that demonstrates the conclusion is false
(B) pointing out that the conclusion doesn't follow properly from the premises
(C) questioning the purported relationship between cause and effect
(D) arguing that the same assumption could be used to support an opposing conclusion
(E) suggesting, by analogy, potential drawbacks that might outweigh the predicted advantages

The marijuana advocate was talking about the relationship between marijuana and crime within some state, presumably a US state. The AG cites evidence in other countries. Is what is true in other countries, with different cultures & languages & economies & historical situations, going to be exactly the same in the state in question? Maybe, maybe not. If something is demonstrably true in France and Argentina and Japan, does that mean it has to be true in a US state, such as Kansas? Maybe, maybe not. It depends. Some things (e.g. basic biology) are more universal, and tend to be true across cultures & countries, while other things (e.g. attitudes toward women's rights) are very context specific and can vary widely form one country to the next. Which would be more representative of how marijuana decriminalization would play out? It's very hard to say. The examples of other countries might be relevant, or things may play out very different in the state in question than they played out in those other countries.

On the GMAT, the word "evidence" means something very specific. I have "evidence" in a specific case only from facts directly pertinent to that particular case. If something is cited from an analogous situation somewhere else, that might be suggestive or persuasive, but technically, it's not what the GMAT would call "evidence." The AG's example of the dynamic in other countries is suggestive of what may happen in the state in question, but strictly speaking, it is not "evidence" in the proper sense.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Thanks Mike!
Your definition of 'evidence' in GMAT world is gonna be very useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [0]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Mike,

I chose B as the answer for this and here is why i chose this particular answer.

Marijuana advocate: If marijuana were legalized in this state, the state could start assessing tax on the drug, increasing state revenues. Since sales would be legal, the criminal culture supporting the drug would vanish; as crimes ceased, the state would save money on fighting crime. Overall, the state has a tremendous amount to gain by making the drug legal.

Attorney General: Studies of legalizing previously illegal drugs in other countries suggests that criminals controlling the business will not be eager either to sacrifice their profits or to play by the rules. Moreover, diverting money from crime-fighting after such legalization gives those criminals more free rein.

The premise that the increase in legal marijuana would result in decreasing crime is assumed by the advocate but the attorney does not think this way. In fact he thinks just the opposite.
This suggests that both of them have a similar premise but different conclusions related to those premises.
can you suggest why this is the incorrect choice.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [0]
Expert Reply
akhil911 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I chose B as the answer for this and here is why i chose this particular answer.

The premise that the increase in legal marijuana would result in decreasing crime is assumed by the advocate but the attorney does not think this way. In fact he thinks just the opposite.
This suggests that both of them have a similar premise but different conclusions related to those premises.
can you suggest why this is the incorrect choice.

Dear akhil911,

This is very subtle. The marijuana advocate makes an argument: premise (legal marijuana) leads to conclusion (less crime) in this state.

If the AG had focused on the structure of the marijuana advocate's argument, showing a logical problem in the link between premise and conclusion, then (B) would be correct --- in that case, the AG would "point out that the conclusion doesn't follow properly from the premises." In other words, the AG would be attacking the essential logic of the marijuana advocate's argument.

That's not what the AG does. The AG doesn't focus at all on the marijuana advocate's argument. Instead, the AG introduces the facts of a completely different situation. In this very different situation, a similar scenario leads to a different outcome. This is NOT a logical attack on the marijuana advocate's argument. Instead, it is introducing new experiences, experience of which the AG is aware and the marijuana advocate, presumably, is unaware. It may be that the marijuana advocate's conclusion follows perfectly logically from his premise, but, as the AG points out, the marijuana advocate simply does not have broad enough experience to appreciate all the ramifications of his argument.

The term "properly follow" is essentially a logical term, and that addresses in the inherent logic of the argument. Not all CR arguments are about logic: the AG simply has more information, which casts what the marijuana advocate said in a different light. Sometimes new information trumps all logic. That's what this question is about.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Boiled down to A and E, but picked A :x

Can someone tell me how the statement "Studies of legalizing previously illegal drugs in other countries suggests that criminals controlling the business will not be eager either to sacrifice their profits or to play by the rules" is an analogy not an evidence?

My line of thought is that what the advocate is proposing was already tried, but failed, in other countries. This is a fact happened in the past, so its an evidence, right?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi mike

Specific question with regard to option C-

When we question the purported relationship between cause and effect, does it necessarily mean that reverse may be true OR can we also mean that cause DOES NOT lead to the said effects.??

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]