Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 02:18 It is currently 08 May 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [43]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8568 [26]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4328 [4]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2757 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Nutritionist: Multivitamins are potent storehouses of antioxidants, s [#permalink]
Kudos
Nutritionist:
    Multivitamins are potent storehouses of antioxidants which breaks down the body.
    Nonetheless, according to longitudinal studies those who take multivitamins every day have a decreased longevity.
    Clearly, if people want to live longer they should avoid antioxidants.

Which of the following is an assumption the argument relies on?

a) The use of antioxidants does not vary across different age groups........no data regarding the age groups has been mentioned. OFS
b) The less often one takes multivitamins, the more one’s longevity increases............seems correct but a trap answer and is an extreme inference in reality. According to argument, more Multivitamins less longevity
but it is extreme to infer that less multivitamins more longevity as simply by not taking MV's cannot ensure longevity.

c) The antioxidants found in vitamins do not differ from antioxidants found in other sources, such as food..............This fills the needed gap between evidence and conclusion of the argument.
d) Antioxidants can confer health benefits that do not relate to longevity..............may be true but need not be assumed
e) Antioxidants destroy free radicals, which are toxic to the body.............This is a new info and is out of scope to be assumed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.45
WE:Research (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Nutritionist: Multivitamins are potent storehouses of antioxidants, s [#permalink]
still not convinced with above explanations about answer choice C. could someone please elaborate more?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
AkshayChittoria wrote:
Nutritionist: Multivitamins are potent storehouses of antioxidants, substances that fight the oxidation process, which breaks down the body. Nonetheless, according to longitudinal studies—studies that follow subjects over the course of many years—those who take multivitamins every day have a decreased longevity. Clearly, if people want to live longer they should avoid antioxidants.

a) The use of antioxidants does not vary across different age groups.
b) The less often one takes multivitamins, the more one’s longevity increases.
c) The antioxidants found in vitamins do not differ from antioxidants found in other sources, such as food.
d) Antioxidants can confer health benefits that do not relate to longevity.
e) Antioxidants destroy free radicals, which are toxic to the body.

VITAMINS have antioxidants ==>everuday intake ==>less life.
therefore to live long==>avoid ANTIOXIDANTS.
it means it is assuming that ANTIOXIDANTS intake from any source (either from vitamins or from any other source) is going to affect longevity.

clearly C says this.
ALL antioxidants are same .

HENCE C.

see the scope shift from vitamin to antioxidants in general
we need to make sure that these vitamin pills are the representation of the antioxidants class- means pills are no different from other foods which have these antioxidants
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
askul2389 wrote:
still not convinced with above explanations about answer choice C. could someone please elaborate more?

see the scope shift from vitamin to antioxidants in general
we need to make sure that these vitamin pills are the representation of the antioxidants class- means pills are no different from other foods which have these antioxidants
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
This is quite a good question. I was tricked by the conclusion "they should avoid antioxidants." .
I thought the conclusion is only about antioxidants from multi vitamin. But here antioxidants means it can come from either multivitamin or from any other source.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
the answer should be C,although B is bit tempting but later seemed out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
hey any one please explain : if people want to live longer they should avoid antioxidants but if antioxidant is same as what is present in food then food should reduce our longevity?
I am confused please help...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Please clear my doubt ..
if people want to live longer they should avoid antioxidants but if antioxidant is same as what is present in food then food should reduce our longevity?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
shalabhg27 wrote:
Please clear my doubt ..
if people want to live longer they should avoid antioxidants but if antioxidant is same as what is present in food then food should reduce our longevity?

Hey , although I didn't understand your doubt well, but hope it helps , see what we need to support is that multivitamins from any substance such as food as mentioned have the same antioxidants then the food will also do the same process in reducing longevity , so only the option ,c which suggests and the best choice , try negation test for c then you will definitely be sure that it must be the necessary info for the stimulus to be true. Here food doen not mean the daily intake rather food which have the antioxidants as does the multivitamin. Hope it makes sense

Sent from my HM 1S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28609 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mahmud6 wrote:
Today, I have come across a topic on the forum, which, according to the poster, is a Magoosh question. But I have a doubt. Would you please see the topic posted in https://gmatclub.com/forum/multivitamin ... l#p1260624?

If it is originally a Magoosh question, would you please share what is the impact if antioxidants found in vitamins do not differ from antioxidants found in other sources, such as food on the argument? Option C seems to me out of scope. Moreover, the conclusion is relating to the avoidance of antioxidants NOT multivitamin.

I think the question would be fine if the conclusion were related to the avoidance of multivitamin NOT antioxidants and option C were 'The antioxidants found in vitamins IS NOT SAME as antioxidants found in other sources, such as food.'

Best regards,

Hasan Mahmud

Dear Mahmud6,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Within Magoosh, this question has been retired. The problem lies with other aspects of the question, but choice (C) is still a solid answer.

One way to think about assumptions is what is called the "bridge method." See this blog:
Assumptions on the GMAT CR

In this argument, the main piece of evidence concerns multivitamins specifically: these are correlated with decreased longevity.

Then, the conclusion makes a huge jump, from multivitamins specifically, to all antioxidants.

The assumption needs to bridge that gap. Choice (C) works does this job, telling is that the two categories are identical, so that an effect of one would be the effect of the other. That's a piece that the original argument was missing.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 833 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
...the conclusion makes a huge jump, from multivitamins specifically, to all antioxidants.
Hi mikemcgarry,

I got the point. The conclusion makes a huge jump, from antioxidants found in multivitamins, to all antioxidants. To justify this conclusion the author needs to assume that all antioxidants are same, i.e., antioxidants found in multivitamins are same as antioxidants found in other sources, such as food.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
It would be easy to fall into the trap at B, where "anti-oxidants" and "multivitamins" are conflated. C wins rather easily once you have moved past B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools: LBS '24
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
AkshayChittoria wrote:
Nutritionist: Multivitamins are potent storehouses of antioxidants, substances that fight the oxidation process, which breaks down the body. Nonetheless, according to longitudinal studies—studies that follow subjects over the course of many years—those who take multivitamins every day have a decreased longevity. Clearly, if people want to live longer they should avoid antioxidants.

a) The use of antioxidants does not vary across different age groups.
b) The less often one takes multivitamins, the more one’s longevity increases.
c) The antioxidants found in vitamins do not differ from antioxidants found in other sources, such as food.
d) Antioxidants can confer health benefits that do not relate to longevity.
e) Antioxidants destroy free radicals, which are toxic to the body.

NOTE: this question has been retired within the Magoosh system and thus is no longer a question endorsed by Magoosh.

Type of argument - Scope shift

initially the argument talks about the antioxidants in multi-vitamins but then shifts to anti-oxidants in general.

This therefore tells us that the author is not distinguishing between two types of antioxidants -- thereby the assumption.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts