Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 11:23 It is currently 12 May 2024, 11:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4451 [54]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28619 [10]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 371 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: To raise funds, a racing team sold T-shirts imprinted with [#permalink]
Bookmarks
guerrero25 wrote:
To raise funds, a racing team sold T-shirts imprinted with the team's logo. The team paid their supplier a one-time setup fee of $100. Because they purchased at least 50 T-shirts, the team qualified for their supplier's quantity discount of x cents per T-shirt and paid (8-(x/100)n) dollars for each of the n T shirts they purchased. What is the value of x?

Fantastic DS Question.

One-time setup fee = $100
Discount per t-shirt = x cents
Price per t-shirt = $ (8 - n(\(\frac{x}{100}\)))
x = ?

Quote:
1. The team purchased 200 T-shirts, sold each T-shirt for $12, and made a $900 profit.
2. In addition to the $100 setup fee, the team paid $7 for each T-shirt.

1) n = 200
SP = $12
=> Total Selling Price = $2400
Profit = $900
=> Cost = 2400 - 900 - 100
=> Cost = $ 1400

1400 = 8 - (\(\frac{x}{100}\))*200
We can solve for x.
Sufficient.

2) 7 = (8 - n(\(\frac{x}{100}\)))
2 variables and 1 equation.
Insufficient.

A is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:
To raise funds, a racing team sold T-shirts imprinted with the team's logo. The team paid their supplier a one-time setup fee of $100. Because they purchased at least 50 T-shirts, the team qualified for their supplier's quantity discount of x cents per T-shirt and paid (8-(x/100)n) dollars for each of the n T shirts they purchased. What is the value of x?

1. The team purchased 200 T-shirts, sold each T-shirt for $12, and made a $900 profit.

Dear expert, mikemcgarry, GMATPrepNow

I have a question about statement 2 : I think statement 2 is SUFFICIENT because of n=1. Why we don't plug n=1 in this equation, so we can get X?

Thanks!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28619 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
septwibowo wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

I have a question about statement 2 : I think statement 2 is SUFFICIENT because of n=1. Why we don't plug n=1 in this equation, so we can get X?

Thanks!

Dear septwibowo,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, on GMAT DS, it is absolutely crucial to be completely clear on what could be true vs. what has to be true. What could be true tells us bupkis about sufficiency. Only what has to be true tells us about sufficiency.

I am not sure where you got n = 1. The problem tells us explicitly that \(n \geq 50\), so this rules out the possibility of n = 1. Let's say n = 100, which would be possible: yes, knowing n = 100 would make the equation very easy to solve for X, but once again, our convenience and ease, in and of itself, tells us zilch about sufficiency.

The prompt gives us two variables, n & x. As a very good rule of thumb, we need two separate equations to solve for the values of two variables. The GMAT loves to test this fact in word problems on the DS questions. See:
GMAT Quant: How to Solve Two Equations with Two Variables

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
septwibowo wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

Thanks!

Dear septwibowo,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, on GMAT DS, it is absolutely crucial to be completely clear on what could be true vs. what has to be true. What could be true tells us bupkis about sufficiency. Only what has to be true tells us about sufficiency.

I am not sure where you got n = 1. The problem tells us explicitly that \(n \geq 50\), so this rules out the possibility of n = 1. Let's say n = 100, which would be possible: yes, knowing n = 100 would make the equation very easy to solve for X, but once again, our convenience and ease, in and of itself, tells us zilch about sufficiency.

The prompt gives us two variables, n & x. As a very good rule of thumb, we need two separate equations to solve for the values of two variables. The GMAT loves to test this fact in word problems on the DS questions. See:
GMAT Quant: How to Solve Two Equations with Two Variables

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you mikemcgarry for your explanation. I understand 100% with your explanation.

However, this is the reason why I think that n=1.

In addition to the $100 setup fee, the team paid $7 for each T-shirt.

Whatever the n shirts they buy, but if the team paid $7 for EACH means n=1 right?

I buy 100 iPhone and I should pay 1.000 USD each.

This is one that makes me confused.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28619 [3]
Kudos