Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [4]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Nanyang Class of 2015 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Running For A Cause: Joining Terry Fox Run 2013
By Jenie Lago

My life while taking the MBA at Nanyang is both busy and hectic. It is always nice to find time to take care of one’s health. A short run or walk can make a lot of difference. I can run and walk while immersing myself in the lush greenery of Nanyang’s campus.

How about taking care of our health (by running) while at the same time contributing to a good cause? That’s the reason my peers and I signed up for the Terry Fox Run 2013 at the scenic coastline park, East Coast Parkway.

The Terry Fox Run is the world’s largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research organized by the Canadian association of Singapore in conjunction with Singapore Cancer Society (SCS). The annual event in Singapore is held in honor of Terry Fox, the one legged amputee cancer victim who embarked on a cross-Canada run to raise funds and create awareness for cancer research.

Our group of 10 woke up as early as 6 a.m. as we were too eager to embark on our run which started at 8 a.m. We had chosen the 10 km run instead of the 5 km run as we did not find it challenging enough. It was a great way to shed off the pounds gained during our holiday break while at the same time help raise funds for the Singapore Cancer Society research program. Without prior preparations and practice round, all 10 of us still managed to complete the 10km run. Hooray!

It was a challenging yet fulfilling day. Thanks to the Corporate Social Responsibility Club for organizing the registration and transportation of the participants.

https://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/mba/thenanyangmba/files/2013/05/Terry-Fox-Run-After.jpg

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Getting Ready for Leadership using Reiss Profile
By Claire Kwa

REISS Class

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon, great for a breather and moments of relaxation. However some sacrificed this pocket of time for the opportunity to be introduced to Reiss profiling tool.

Organized by Nanyang MBA Women in Business (WIB) club, together with Executive Coach International and Reiss Asia, the workshop was set up with the intention to introduce this scientifically validated profiling tool to current and future managers. The club also opened the event to non-members.

Reiss Profile is based on human personalities that are intrinsic and genetically predisposed. Dr. Steven Reiss, the former Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry of Ohio State University (USA) created the Reiss profile test by studying the 16 basic desires which is the basis of all our personalities.

“Take the lead” -Part of the REISS profiling tool.

With the objective to develop leadership skills in its members, the WIB club invited Executive Coach international to provide an insight into the application of the Reiss Profile in leadership styles.

A sample profiling test was issued some days before the workshop itself to individual participants. The feedback was given almost instantaneously. Armed with the feedback, the participants were given a deeper insight into what it means for them in terms of personal growth and managing others.

Chaweewan Gatepithaya,from Thailand, describes the workshop aptly, “Reiss provided me an assessment that is relevant for me to understand myself better and how I can motivate myself to bring out my personal power in both work and personal life.”

In conjunction with the “coaching module for managers” launched by the school recently, the Reiss tool was also included as a complementary tool for those who had attended the coaching module.

We saw the power of the tool in understanding consumers. Ultimately, the participants have their own takeaways , as they now have access to this powerful tool.

It was a long yet fulfilling day attending the REISS profiling workshop. However, I feel that the Reiss profiling tool allows me to better understand myself – and others too.

https://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/mba/thenanyangmba/files/2013/06/REISS-2.jpg
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Asian MBAs compete for Football Glory
By Jad Abou Ibrahim

The 10 participating teams

The Credit Suisse Asian MBA Football Tournament is a prestigious tournament that pits MBA teams from Asia’s top business schools. Held yearly, and organized by HKUST’s MBA students,  the 2013 tourney featured  10 teams -.HKUST has  three (3) teams, (HKUST International students, HKUST, HKUST Alumni, CEIBS, Nanyang (NTU), NUS, Chicago Booth, Tsinghua, Chinese University of Hong Kong, and the major sponsor, Credit Suisse.

This is the 3rd year that Nanyang MBA is participating. Our multi-national team comprise of players w from Lebanon, Singapore, Canada, Austria, Germany, Pakistan, India and Singapore. The participating teams were divided into two groups of five teams- and two games were played simultaneously in courts next to each other. The top two teams from each group will qualify to the semi-finals of the Gold Cup, the two runners up teams from each group will then qualify to the semi-finals of the Silver Cup, and the last team from each group will play out a consolation game called the “Best of the Rest”.

Our first game was against CEIBS and it was one of the opening games of the group stage.  As expected, excitement and nervousness was evident on the field from both teams. However that did not stop us from playing what we like most: attacking football from the second the referee blows his first whistle till the end of the match. We pressed towards our opponent’s goal when they had the ball and pressured our opponents when they had the possession. We managed to score a goal. Jad’s deflected shot from outside the goal area went in – 1-0, Nanyang take the lead. During the match two penalty shouts against CEIBS went unanswered by a very incompetent referee who caused more tension on the field between the two teams. However, CEIBS were able to tie the game, as they stole a point game by scoring a goal towards the dying minutes of the game. The game eventually ended in a draw- 1-1. A good start!

Waiting for our next game,  we watched and observed our other  opponent’s game very carefully. Our second match was against Tsinghua (from China) who played a counter-attacking style with wingers who boast good pace and skills. Our defense was rock-solid as we thwarted successfully any of their counter-attacks. Our team, however, was  not able to find the net as well and the game ended 0-0. We haven’t loss a game still; nor have we won one yet!

Our third game was against Chicago Booth (from Singapore). Both teams were fighting hard for a win but this time, the referee  issued many badly judged calls and his lack of discipline on the field nearly caused injuries. Chicago Booth took a surprise lead at the first half of the match but with our never-say die spirit, we fought on with Joshua scoring a goal to tie the game at 1-1. So far, 3 draws.

Our final group game was against NUS (from Singapore) and we needed to win to qualify for the semi-finals of the gold cup- if another  draw or loss, it will put us in the silver cup playoffs. The game ended 0-0 with both teams hesitant to making mistakes on the field – we did have a couple of good attempts that were not converted into goals.

Thus we ended up in the silver cup semi-finals to face  HKUST Alumni.  With fatigue starting to show on some of us as we ran tirelessly over 20 minutes per game on a large field with relatively smaller goals; the task to win one game seems to loom a lot bigger as we hoped for a lucky break. This time, we used other players who have not played much during the initial games; and yes, some of us were physically tired to continue to play on. With both teams battling it out, the result ended in HKUST Alumni’s favor 1-0 in spite of the several chances we had to draw the score level.

Over-all , our team enjoyed our brief Hong Kong, experience especially the football tournament – we gained more international and cultural experience  on a physical, emotional, and mental level. “I think we gained a lot from this experience, and will recommend to continue participation in this wonderful tournament “, said Daniel.

On a final note, on behalf of the Nanyang MBA Football team, we would like to thank from the bottom of our hearts,  our kind-hearted donors and supporters,  who believed and  supported  their fellow students in this worthy undertaking.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Anybody visited the school yet? Please share your impression.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Just submitted my online application. Also hope my recommenders have sent their recos to the admissions office.

Received a mail from NBS saying that the shortlist for the interviews would be prepared on the second week of Jan.

All the best to those applying!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 670 Q37 V45
Send PM
I am about to submit my application to NTU. However I havent been able to find a link to the point from where to upload the documents. Does it come only the application is submitted? Or am I just being blind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
jogabonito wrote:
I am about to submit my application to NTU. However I havent been able to find a link to the point from where to upload the documents. Does it come only the application is submitted? Or am I just being blind

Facing the same situation, does the upload page come after clicking Send on the application portal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
You will be prompted to upload documents after you have submitted your online application and paid the 80$ application fees.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, after you submit the application, an application no. will be generated and then a link to upload the documents will be sent. I know I'm late, but I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
I have a query reg. the upload documents. They have asked to upload both the recommendations on the portal. I am confused. Are we supposed to upload it? Or was it to be mailed by the recommenders? Kindly reply if anyone has info on this! Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
nakulvermani wrote:
I have a query reg. the upload documents. They have asked to upload both the recommendations on the portal. I am confused. Are we supposed to upload it? Or was it to be mailed by the recommenders? Kindly reply if anyone has info on this! Thanks.

You do not need to upload the recommendations. Instead, ask your recommenders to send it to the admissions office via their official mail id's in the specific format that you can download from NTU's website.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Technology Consulting Club Talk
By Ajay Kumar and Vivek Sharma

Given the popularity of IT industry among Technology consulting club members at Nanyang Business School (NBS), the Technology Consulting club organized the industry talk on 23rd November 2013. NANYANG MBA alumni Mr. Robin Tanudjaja delivered the talk.

Mr. Robin Tanudjaja eagerly sharing his experience with the attendees

Mr. Robin Tanudjaja comes with 11 years of rich experience in a project management role in IT industry. He has previously worked in Schlumberger, Cisco systems, American President Lines, Dubai world, and very recently, he joined HP in Singapore. During Robin’s stint in Dubai world for 5 yrs as IT Project manager, he was responsible to manage the delivery of IT solutions to business needs for all the business units under Dubai World umbrella.

The main objective of talk was to allow the club members to meet, network, and gain valuable information from one of our NBS alumni. The talk was specifically targeted to those who are looking for management roles in IT industry. Mr. Tanudjaja shared his valuable insights about IT project management and what it takes to be a good project manager. He suggested quite a few certification programs which are very well recognized in Singapore. Certification programs which were suggested are PMI certifications, Prince 2, CITPM etc. He also shared upcoming IT industry trends, and lessons learned by him while working in different companies. At the end of the talk, he also shared about how to do interview preparation and what are the few frequently asked tough questions one can expect in an interview in Singapore. He also mentioned that before going for an interview, it is very important to do a thorough research on the company and the position being offered. In addition, he also stressed that the interviewee should be aware of the range of pay offered so that salary negotiation can be done in a better way. He recommended the website Payscale to serve this particular purpose.

NBS students networking Mr. Robin Tanudjaja over food and drinks

The talk gave the club members a very good opportunity to gain industry information for their career planning. The members also engaged in friendly and meaningful discussion with Robin during the refreshments and Networking session after the talk.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Walking the Talk
By Sandeep Bhuyan

On November 25th 2013, the Management Consultancy club organized its first event “Walk the talk”.  The event was organized as an information sharing session among the cohort’s members. MBA students who worked previously as consultants shared their experiences and knowledge about their consulting job. The purpose of this event was to expose students to different types of consulting, to familiarize them with what working as a consultant looks and feels like, and to guide them how to look for jobs in the particular fields.

Jason, Rey and Akshay Sharing on their experience

We had a total of 8 speakers and 20 students attending the event. The speakers represented many different industries. Jackson spoke about Risk consulting, Emily shared her experience on oil refining, Vicky on development consulting, Akshay about technology consulting, Rey on HR and Tax and Mohammed, Sukhjeet, Charu shared their experiences on management consulting.

Mohammed, Charu and Vicky in Action

Each of the speakers spoke about their qualification, how they made into the job, experience and one particular project. They had their own style of presentation- some used designer slides, some used whiteboard-marker, some spoke directly and tried their best to make us understand the nitty-gritty of their industry. The attendees in turn asked many questions specific to the jobs and tried to find out what they need to do if they want to join a particular type of consulting.

Token of Appreciation from the club

As part of consultancy club we want to thank the MBA office for dinner and token of appreciation presented to all the speakers. We want to thank especially the speakers who took all the pain to prepare for the presentation and deliver it with enthusiasm, warmth, and confidence.

Students listening to the talk and dinner time

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Art & Copy
By Raza Irshad

Marketing & Entrepreneurship Co-Chair Raza Irshad giving a short introduction of the film documentary

The event premiered the documentary, “Art & Copy”, which showcases some of the most iconic advertising campaigns of their time and how they were successful in breaking grounds at the time when they were released. The film also includes reflections on the careers of some of the finest people in this field like Hal Riney, George Lois, Mary Wells Lawrence, Dan Wieden, and Lee Clow.

The purpose of the event was to share an insight into the world of marketing and advertising, how it has evolved over the years and to share some real life examples of how people have actually been inspired to produce some of the most memorable ad campaigns of all times.

This activity was a light yet very enriching way to learn more about the marketing and advertising industries as well as to get to know the members of the club.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Nanyang Admissions Blog: Turning Ideas into Reality
By Pete Thanapornpun

On the 13th of December 2013, The Venture Capital (VC) Club invited Kelvin Ong, Executive Director of FocusTech Ventures and NANYANG MBA Alumni, to be a speaker for this session. FocusTech Ventures (FTV) is an entrepreneur-led startup accelerator that combines private investment, active mentoring, and advisory to help capital- efficient startups transform venture ideas into fundable, profitable companies. He shared his experience and what he does exactly in his daily work (Fund Raising, Strategic Management, Recruitment and, Deal Sourcing). Finally, he gave some good tips to the attendees such as the following:

• Don’t go to the area that you are not familiar with.
  • Enter the market with ready infrastructure.
  • Pay attention to the cost projection rather than the revenue.
The key insights shared during the talk are really useful not just in the future, but can also be applied in our case studies and group reports in class.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM