Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [185]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [46]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [31]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [12]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases that are ei [#permalink]
Kudos
sivasanjeev wrote:
Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases that are either too time-consuming or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing the exploration of theoretical issues that were impossible to test a generation ago

c) would either take too much time or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing them to explore
Errors mentioned in A are corrected here.

Is the usage of pronoun "them" correct ? As per my understanding,keyword them can have two antecedents namely, today’s mathematicians and computers. Though today’s mathematicians is the subject of the sentence, how can we be sure that the pronoun them is referring to the subject and not to computers? Is it the case that the exploration work can be done by today’s mathematicians, hence the keyword them must refer to mathematicians (not to computers) ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [3]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases that are ei [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Well, Pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule upon u can eliminate with confidence an answer choice. In the answer choice C, them logically refers to today's mathemiticans who are able to explore something not the computers. If another answer choice has not any grammatical error, conveys the meaning and clears the doubt about the prounoun ambiguity then it would win over C but in absence of that choice, you should go for C and move on.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [8]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Between C and E.

E. take too much time or variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore

Too much time or variables -- variables are countable noun thus we can not put it in parallel with much.
Too much time or Too much variables (Incorrect)

IMO: no other option is better than C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [6]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases that are either too time-consuming or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing the exploration of theoretical issues that were impossible to test a generation ago

a) are either too time-consuming or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing the exploration of
There is a parallelism issue
Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases are too time-consuming
Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases are involve too many variables to test manually
We need to repeat "are" in both the lines and then you can see the issue - Incorrect

b) either take too much time or involve too many variables to be tested manually; allowing the mathematicians to explore
Allowing is a verbing modifier to join the two clauses and cannot be separated by a semi colon. Either side of Semi colon shouldn't dependent on each other "Structurally" bur should depend on meaning wise. - Incorrect

c) would either take too much time or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing them to explore
Perfect

d) would either be too time-consuming or would involve too many variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore - Extra would

e) take too much time or variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore - Doesn't make sense to me at all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
I have a question.

1) Which noun is the subject of the action 'allow'? cases or mathematicians?

Both of them don't make sense in my opinion. It should be the computers.

And the modifier will be like this

"the computers allow today's mathematicians to explore theoretical issues that were impossible to test a generation ago."

Am I right?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31945 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aves wrote:
I have a question.

"the computers allow today's mathematicians to explore theoretical issues that were impossible to test a generation ago."

Am I right?

Hi,

allowing is the VERB +ING modifier and does not modify ant particlar NOUN.
It modifies the preceding clause..

here it is talking of the result of previous clause --Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [3]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
Aves wrote:
I have a question.

Am I right?

Hi,

allowing is the VERB +ING modifier and does not modify ant particlar NOUN.
It modifies the preceding clause..

here it is talking of the result of previous clause --Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases

Hi chetan2u,

I know that V-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause as a whole but it should make sense with the subject of the preceding clause as well, shoudn't it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bookmarks
kinjiGC wrote:

a) are either too time-consuming or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing the exploration of
There is a parallelism issue
Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases are too time-consuming
Many of today’s mathematicians use computers to test cases are involve too many variables to test manually
We need to repeat "are" in both the lines and then you can see the issue - Incorrect

b) either take too much time or involve too many variables to be tested manually; allowing the mathematicians to explore
Allowing is a verbing modifier to join the two clauses and cannot be separated by a semi colon. Either side of Semi colon shouldn't dependent on each other "Structurally" bur should depend on meaning wise. - Incorrect

Perfect

d) would either be too time-consuming or would involve too many variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore - Extra would

e) take too much time or variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore - Doesn't make sense to me at all

HI GMATify,

I opted for correct option C but I would like to discuss the usage of "WOULD".
I eliminated other options and in the end left with option C.

But other approach would have been we directly eliminate options A,B and E as "Would" is not used.
I hope in this sentence condition is required so "Would" is required...Please correct me if I am wrong.
Can we do this.. :?:

Please assist.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Could someone please explain/validate the usage of "this" in independent clauses following a semi-colon? I've seen examples where "this" is ok.. confused. Are such examples wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
dina98 wrote:
Could someone please explain/validate the usage of "this" in independent clauses following a semi-colon? I've seen examples where "this" is ok.. confused. Are such examples wrong?

this, that, these, and those can act as demonstrative adjectives or demonstrative pronoun.They are called demonstrative as they indicate the location of something.

On GMAT, the use of demonstrative adjectives is fine. For example.

This pen is mine and that one is yours.

Notice that in this sentence this and that are adjectives of nouns pen and one respectively.

The following use of demonstrative pronouns is almost always wrong on GMAT:

This is my pen.
That is good shot.

Here this and that are subject pronouns. Here, this and that are too ambiguous. You can not really relate to the location of the object/thing unless you are actually looking at it.

Demonstrative pronouns when used to indicate the copy of nouns in comparisons is also correct on GMAT. For example:

The population of India is greater than that of US.

Here that refers to population.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Responding (very belatedly) to a PM:
Quote:
Is the usage of them in option C correct since it refers to the possessive "todays's mathematicians"?
Thanks in advance!

I think the "rule" you're referring to is this one: a non-possessive pronoun can't generally refer to a possessive noun on the GMAT. (An astute forum member pointed out an exception to this rule on an official question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-og-208881.html. But it's the only one I've ever seen... so I suppose that we can demote this from a "rule" to "a guideline that usually seems to work." Ugh.)

But even if we're trying to enforce the original "rule", there's no problem with the pronoun here at all. "Them" refers back to "mathematicians", which isn't actually possessive. So you're all good here.

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo , adkikani , abhimahna

Quote:
would either take too much time or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing them to explore

Although I got this right, I'm confused with the usage of 'verb-ing' at the end of the sentence. Allow me to explain

verb-ing when preceded by a comma can only do two things
1. Presents additional information for the preceding clause
2. Tells the result of the preceding clause
Note: - The verbing should make sense with the subject of the preceding clause

In the given question, the preceding clause is

Quote:
are either too time-consuming or involve too many variables to test manually

With the above information, the noun in the preceding clause 'test cases' doesn't make sense with the verbing 'allowing'. Test cases cannot do the work of 'allow'

Can you let me know where am I going wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
djanand wrote:

(A) are either too time-consuming or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing the exploration of

(B) either take too much time or involve too many variables to be tested manually; allowing the mathematicians to explore

(C) would either take too much time or involve too many variables to test manually, allowing them to explore

(D) would either be too time-consuming or would involve too many variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore

(E) take too much time or variables to test manually; this capability allows the mathematicians to explore

GMATNinja MentorTutoring

Explanation of Questions i have encountered till now force me to not to change the intended meaning of the sentence.
But here in option C, use of "would" changes the meaning of original sentence.

Kindly explain the above paradox.
Are these situations can appear in official questions also ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos