Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [105]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [3]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MBS '17 (A$)
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: My journey to 750 [#permalink]
Kudos
Great post and really motivation. I have given my Gmat twice and scored 600 in first and 670 in the second, but i am still not satisfied.
I am aiming for something around 720-730 because i need scholarships to undertake the programmes.
After reading your post i think it is not impossible. Reading stories of people like you motivated me to improve the first time and i am sure it ll do this time too.
Good luck with your admissions.!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for your comment, nitishbks! Im glad that you found it motivating. I am sure you will get that 730 in your next attempt. You have the right break-up of 47/38. You just need a couple of additional points on each and you will be there. I know someone who went from 650 to 760 in his second attempt. So it is definitely possible. Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you! really helpful !
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you! really helpful !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on your wonderful score and thanks for sharing your experience here!

I had some questions regarding studying from the Manhattan SC guide:

1. Did you memorize the whole Idiom list given in the chapter on Idioms (Chapter 9 in 5th Edition) ?

2. Did you also do the advanced chapters after Idioms - Odds & Ends, GM/S-V/Parallelism: Extra, Pronouns & Modifiers: Extra, Verbs & Comparisons: Extra ? Were these useful in your preparation ?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
batman08 wrote:
Congrats on your wonderful score and thanks for sharing your experience here!

I had some questions ..............useful in your preparation ?

Thanks batman08! Here are my replies-

1. Did you memorize the whole Idiom list given in the chapter on Idioms (Chapter 9 in 5th Edition) ?
# Initially my intention was definitely to memorize the entire list but then I ran out of time. Moreover I realized it may not be required. So instead I created flash card for every single idiom I got wrong in OG and GMATPrep1, 2, 3 questions. This should be more than enough, IMO.

2. Did you also do the advanced chapters after Idioms - Odds & Ends, GM/S-V/Parallelism: Extra, Pronouns & Modifiers: Extra, Verbs & Comparisons: Extra ? Were these
Yes- I read these chapters too. But my advice would be don't spend too much time on these. Your time would be better spent on doing as many SC questions as possible from official sources and if you get them wrong or spend more than 2 mins analyzing them for mistakes/concepts tested/take-aways etc.

Good Luck and hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for this. I've taken the GMAT twice but always with a low score in the verbal. I really don't have any complaints about my quant, just need a little improvement. Your post is the most helpful I've read on how to improve my verbal so thanks again.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
NaijaMBAgal wrote:
Thanks for this. I've taken the GMAT twice but always with a low score in the verbal. I really don't have any complaints about my quant, just need a little improvement. Your post is the most helpful I've read on how to improve my verbal so thanks again.

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that my post was helpful. I'm sure you will get your desired verbal score this time. Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
MensaNumber wrote:
I took the GMAT in Dec 2013 and my score was 750(Q48+V46+IR4+AWA5). I know it took me a very long time to write this debrief, but I had to focus on my PhD applications immediately after the GMAT. Moreover, I was quite bummed with the score. I wrote about my frustration with low quant score here. This one is a fairer cousin of that post. I received an interesting comment on that post- “To start, a 750/Q48 is a score combo that most Test Takers will NEVER score in their lives, so you should have a bit more pride in your accomplishment. Calling your Q48 "very poor" makes you sound silly.” As encouraging as this remark is, I don’t have as fancy notion as that comment suggests. I firmly believe that if I can score 46(99%) on verbal, absolutely anyone can get that score.

I think for me it is an amazing achievement against the backdrop of my background. I am not only a non-native speaker but also was born and grew up in small towns. I studied in my native language Marathi (मराठी) throughout until I went to highschool. So at the age of 16, for the first time, Bhumiti (भूमिती) became Geometry and Bijganit (बीजगणित) became Algerba for me etc etc. The point I am driving here is that I started with a pretty low base and thus want to give optimism to everyone that it does not matter where you start, you can still get an elite score. Lupita Nyong'o this year’s Oscar winner for best supporting actress for ‘12 Years a Slave’ says it the best in her acceptance speech, “No Matter Where You Are From, Your Dreams Are Valid”

That comment also made me realize that even though this score was not enough for me, there must be others who could easily make it to whichever program they dream of with 750. And thus I must share my experience in the hope that it will serve to benefit others in whatever small possible way.

How long I studied?
I studied about 4 weeks exclusive for GMAT. But right before this I studied for the GRE for about 1.5 months. So if you include this then total of 2.5 months.

What Material I used?
1. OG 13: Do I really have to talk about its importance.
2. Manhattan MGRE (GMAT and GRE, RC and CR are quite similar. So since I had already studied RC and CR using MGRE, I didn’t read MGMAT RC and CR books)
3. Manhattan SC: Since SC is unique to GMAT, I gave a thorough read to MGMAT’s SC guide. Manhattan’s SC guide is indispensable.
I think Manhattan is gold standard in the industry and your preparation is incomplete without its study guides. Having said that, I did not do many practice questions. I have a general dislike for any practice questions that are not from official sources.
4. GMATPrepNow: Brent is a GMAT genius. His style is crisp and lessons are incisive.
5. Magoosh: It is probably the best in terms of value for money not to say that quality of lessons is great. Its email support is amazing too. they are really passionate about their students' success. I solved every single SC question from Magoosh's database.

Section Specific Tips:
RC: This section is the most difficult to improve. I think what helped me was I read at least a couple of articles from NYTimes/Economist/Atlantic etc. each day for three months leading up to the exam. Also, like I mentioned, I did OG GRE RC passages also. They tend to be more difficult but will provide you excellent practice if you run out of GMAT OG material. Moreover, I think vocabulary is really important. Your facility with words will go long way in improving your comprehension. For instance, if you run into words such as totalitarian, right/left wing and you know the meaning of those words you will instantly know what the author is going for. I would highly recommend you create your own wordlist of tough words from OG passages on quizlet. I never take notes for RC. I think it is a waste of time. What I do instead is – read the first paragraph and first couple of lines of each paragraph really carefully, sometimes even read multiple times. Vladimir Nabokov once said, “A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader.” I don’t disagree. Once I’m finished reading I go back to passages only for specific details questions that too only to cross check my answer. I think this strategy saved a lot of time.

SC: This section is the easiest to improve. Initially I never timed myself. Instead I gave myself ample time to understand why a particular choice was right/wrong. I spent insane amount of time on learning from questions I got wrong. I read comments from experts such as Ron very carefully.
Microstrategy: I never try to anticipate a correct answer. Why waste your time and energy anticipating a correct answer when GMAT gives choices? There are thousands of ways in which you can correct a wrong sentence. Are we going to run all those scenarios w/o reading the answer choices? I think it is just inefficient use of your time.

CR: Again I don’t read a question stem before reading the passage. I essentially treat CR as mini RC. I read the passage really carefully and use Process Of Elimination to get at a right choice. Especially if you are at 99%ile POE will be immensely helpful for those tough passages.

Food, Exercise, and Sleep:
Food- We all have our own unique bio-chemical identities i.e. we all know what foods give us sustained release of energy w/o making us full. I think it is best to avoid processed food, caffeine (red bull), processed sugar during the exam. I carried simple dal-rice with me for exam.

Exercise: There is tremendous body of evidence suggesting benefits of exercise on brain function. I almost never missed daily 30 min brisk walks. I used to listen to wordlist or math tables during those 30 min.

Sleep: I think data on positive effect of sleep on brain function is quite conclusive too. Here is a great TED talk on neuroscience of sleep https://www.ted.com/talks/russell_foster_why_do_we_sleep if you are still not convinced. Consequently, I never cheated on sleep in those 2.5 months, however tempted I was. I’d highly recommend a 9-10 hours of sleep before the exam day.

It is a long post so thanks for reading. I will be happy answer any questions you may have for me. Good Luck!

Its really amazing.. I am also aiming for 700+ in my second attempt. Your post is really motivating. Now I can hope to score decent in Verbal which is very challenging to me.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
nitesh06 wrote:

Its really amazing.. I am also aiming for 700+ in my second attempt. Your post is really motivating. Now I can hope to score decent in Verbal which is very challenging to me.

Thanks nitesh06 for you comment. I am glad you found it motivating. I am sure you will score well in verbal this time. Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
congratulations on your score mate !!

how many hours did you study a day during your preparation combined (GMAT & GRE) ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.71
Send PM
Kudos
Hats - off bro. U are an inspiration to all of us. I will remember your debrief from now, whenever i go low on cofidence.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Got immense motivation from the text. I am convinced in the end that this score is achievable for a non native. Now I have fastened my seatbelt and started journey according to your showed path. All the best
Tarin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Kudos
Awesome score MensaNumber! Congratulations!!
V46 for a non-native is simply amazing.. never saw or heard about it anywhere before.
I studied in marathi medium school too, so your debrief is immensely inspirational.

Would love to have your feedback on couple of questions regarding verbal:

1) What were your verbal scores during mock tests (GMATPrep? ManhattanGmat?)
I am interested in knowing how did you improve your verbal, for example from V40 to V46? If you could elaborate on any insights you might have noticed in the type of questions you get at different difficulty levels and any strategies you followed?

2) What according to you is the difference in the skills required/tested at V40 & V46? I am currently stuck at around V38/40 and would like to raise it as high as possible.

Thanks and congrats once again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 837
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi
Great journey to that awesome score especially in verbal...very inspiring....i just have two queries:
1. What is the importance of mock tests in GMAt prep...esp verbal?
2. Which mock series apart from GMAT prep tests do you think were really close to the original test?

Regards
Siva
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Kudos
Heartiest Congratulations. Good and inspiring debrief.
Can you please share about your Quant Data Sufficiency preparation? Actually filling bit dim witted about Data Sufficiency part.

Thanks And Regards
SkandanNinja19
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
archybad wrote:
congratulations on your score mate !!

how many hours did you study a day during your preparation combined (GMAT & GRE) ?

Thanks archybad! I was a full timer so I studied 6-8 hrs each day.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts