GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A Non-native speaker's journey to V46/750

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Non-native speaker's journey to V46/750  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 11:35
vemuluri133 wrote:
Hats - off bro. U are an inspiration to all of us. I will remember your debrief from now, whenever i go low on cofidence.

Thanks venmuluri133! You're so kind. This is exactly what I wanted to achieve - to give hope to all my non-native gmat takers. Good luck!

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 11:38
enarin wrote:
Got immense motivation from the text. I am convinced in the end that this score is achievable for a non native. Now I have fastened my seatbelt and started journey according to your showed path. All the best
Tarin

Thanks Enarin for your comment. Yes now we have at least one data point to show that it is possible :) Good Luck!

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 02:48
Thanks for comment Santy! Youre really kind!

1. I could do only 3 gmatpreps and nothing else. my scores on gmatprep1, 2 and 3 were - 41, 42, 45 respectively. Once you get beyond 44, you will see the following types quite often:
a. SC: long 3-4 line sentence entirely underlined
b. CR: guess similar argument types questions. thus you need to deconstruct 6 different arguments effectively.
c. RC: really long and complicated passages from sociology/science
d. bold face questions

2. what is your weak area? is it SC, CR or RC? Mine was SC so I gave a serious read to Manhattan SC guide and watched gmatprepnow/magoosh SC videos and prepared my notes based on what was new to me or what I wanted to reinforce. I would suggest you to find your weak area and accordingly work on it.

Hope thats helpful. Pls let me know if you need anything else. Good luck and let me know your score

santy wrote:
Awesome score MensaNumber! Congratulations!!
V46 for a non-native is simply amazing.. never saw or heard about it anywhere before.
I studied in marathi medium school too, so your debrief is immensely inspirational.

Would love to have your feedback on couple of questions regarding verbal:

1) What were your verbal scores during mock tests (GMATPrep? ManhattanGmat?)
I am interested in knowing how did you improve your verbal, for example from V40 to V46? If you could elaborate on any insights you might have noticed in the type of questions you get at different difficulty levels and any strategies you followed?

2) What according to you is the difference in the skills required/tested at V40 & V46? I am currently stuck at around V38/40 and would like to raise it as high as possible.

Thanks and congrats once again!

Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 06:13
Thanks Siva! I took only GMATprep 1, 2 and 3. So don't know how good are other tests. But I would say to build your stamina, you should definitely take 3-4 full length tests. I have disliking for gmat questions that are not from GMAC. IMHO, they are a waste of time. So I would say definitely do 4 gmatprep tests. But more importantly analyze each test thoroughly for errors and timing strategies. Hope it was helpful. Don't hesitate to write back if you have any more doubts. Good luck!

sivaspurthy wrote:
Hi
Great journey to that awesome score especially in verbal...very inspiring....i just have two queries:
1. What is the importance of mock tests in GMAt prep...esp verbal?
2. Which mock series apart from GMAT prep tests do you think were really close to the original test?

Regards
Siva

Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 06:18
Thanks SkandanNinja19!
I must confess DS is pain in #$@%. :)
Manhattan's Advance Quant strategies is a good book. Please take a look if you have not already read it. It is a thick book so read only theory and skip all end of chapter problems. Let me know if it was helpful. Good luck!

SkandanNinja19 wrote:
Heartiest Congratulations. Good and inspiring debrief.
Can you please share about your Quant Data Sufficiency preparation? Actually filling bit dim witted about Data Sufficiency part.

Thanks And Regards
SkandanNinja19

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 23:43
Wov,
that's really inspiring. I am going through OG and feel that SC questions are getting tougher and tougher as I progress. I was very disappointed to see more questions are going wrong while I go through these 100+ SC questions given in OG. is it that difficulty level increases in these questions in an ascending way?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 21:39
GMatAspirerCA wrote:
Wov,
that's really inspiring. I am going through OG and feel that SC questions are getting tougher and tougher as I progress. I was very disappointed to see more questions are going wrong while I go through these 100+ SC questions given in OG. is it that difficulty level increases in these questions in an ascending way?

Thanks

Thanks GMatAspireCA! I am glad you found this debrief inspiring. Yes - SC questions will get tougher tougher as you go further in OG. In fact, some of the hard questions in Question Pack and Gprep1&2 data base used to make my head spin too. But the good part is if you can keep going and take your time to understand these question, you will exponentially improve your SC skills. After you finish doing all questions from OG13, Qpack, and Gprep Databse, you will realize that there only a few grammar rules that GMAT loves to test.

Hope that helps. Let me know how things go. Good Luck!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V35

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 06:29
Khoob changla mitra.. All the best to you..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2015, 05:48
Im now in the process of identifyign the right source to kickstart.. this post not only helps in kickstarting but also a great motivation..

thanks..
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 22:25
Some really useful tips in here. Congratulations and thanks for sharing! :)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Operations

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 02:35
In this part NoHalfMeasures > Exercise: There is tremendous body of evidence suggesting benefits of exercise on brain function. I almost never missed daily 30 min brisk walks. I used to listen to wordlist or math tables during those 30 min.
Could you please recommend me a good wordlist and math tables?
Thank you!

Reaching my Goal Gmat Score #the best is yet to come #believe

Re: A Non-native speaker's journey to V46/750 &nbs [#permalink] 14 Dec 2017, 02:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

A Non-native speaker's journey to V46/750

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap